• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘My Hero Academia’ Live-Action Movie Gets Director In ‘Kingdom’s Shinsuke Sato

Shinsuke Sato, the director behind the Japanese hit movie Kingdom, will direct Legendary's live-action adaptation of My Hero Academia.

Shinsuke Sato, the director behind the Japanese hit movie Kingdom and it upcoming sequel, is set to make his English-language film debut with My Hero Academia, Legendary's live-action adaptation of the popular Japanese manga franchise created by Kohei Horikoshi.
His resume:
The Tokyo-based Sato previously adapted the mangas I Am a Hero, which won the SXSW Midnighter Audience Award in 2016, a live-action Inuyashiki in 2018 and Bleach in 2019, the latter for Warner Bros Japan. That led to 2019's Kingdom, the historical war epic that he wrote and directed. Sato is also working on a sequel to that.

Most recently, Sato wrote and directed the Netflix live-action series Alice in Borderland, which bowed in December 2020 and has been renewed for a second season. It centers on a trio of gamers who are thrust into a parallel Tokyo universe where they must play cruel and sadistic games to survive.

www.youtube.com

Bleach Trailer (2018) Live Action Movie

Bleach Trailer - 2018 Live Action Manga AdaptationSubscribe for more: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=NewTrailersBuzzAbout Bleach:Ichigo ...

www.youtube.com

KINGDOM | Official Trailer - Malaysia [HD]

Orphaned by war, Shin (Kento Yamazaki) dreams of rising from his low status in life as a servant boy by becoming a general. Shin has a fateful encounter with...

The article says this will be an English-language adaptation. He seems to be good with manga adaptations, so best of luck to him.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oh shit, this guy wrote and directed the tv version of Alice in Borderland which was fucking GREAT! I'm interested, even if I feel like this will be very difficult to pull off.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt this will look like another cosplay convention.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
Haven't watched any of his work other than Kingdom(and I loved it). Can't wait for this!

EDIT: NVM, I thought this was the Netflix Kingdom series. lol. Still excited for this either way.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've never read any of Kingdom since the 60-some odd volumes is way too daunting to dive into.. anyone seen the movie he directed? Does it start from the beginning of the series?

Haven't watched any of his work other than Kingdom(and I loved it). Can't wait for this!

EDIT: NVM, I thought this was the Netflix Kingdom series. lol. Still excited for this either way.
I absolutely love the Korean Kingdom too, haha. Highly recommend checking out Alice in Borderland on Netflix as well. He did a live-action adaptation that is fantastic.. second season is in the works.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I've only seen his adaptation of Alice in Borderland, a show that had a strong first half and then a pretty terrible 2nd half so.....eh. We'll see how it all goes. Gonna need a sizeable budget to be at least decent.

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, good luck.

And directors for live-action anime movies come and go so often that I give it about a year before he drops out for reasons.