dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion they should have made game first. Spin off type with Jack in it (they can hire impersonator like they did for Sea of Thieves) and new/old cast. Then if they nail that and attract younger audience move tot he film.

bobmonkey

Jan 19, 2021
Can these be based on more real things? Our Flag Means Death made me realized I want that. Actual pirates, Black Bart Roberts, Sam Bellamy, Charles Vane, Stede Bonnet, Bonney and Read... Few fictional ones to support them, including the new MC.
Have you watched Black Sails? 4 fantastic seasons.

It's real pirates mixed with Treasure Island.
You've got Anne Bonny, Jack Rackham, Charles Vane, Edward Teach, Mary Reed and more.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I am not sure I want another Pirates movie without Depp. Wouldn't feel the same.
I can see the reboot being compared to it and hurting peoples' perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
I have almost no interest in a straight reboot, I'd be completely interested in a sequel that followed up the stinger from the last one though even if Jack wasn't in it for a single second

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
Hope they are for real about getting Depp back - PotC without him would be dead in the water (heh) in my opinion.

If they really wanna right the ship (heh x2) they'd get Gore Verbinski back as well - dude ran that shit.

I'd be down for a Margot Robbie side project though, any pirate stuff I can get my eyes on I'm game for lol.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Pirates is a HUGE franchise for Disney internationally, and I imagine they really want to get it back in style now that Marvel & Star Wars seem to be fading slightly.
I would have thought Star Wars was on an upward trajectory. AFAIK the TV shows have all done reasonably well and next year will see a new movie for the first time in 6 years (at that point), a movie that most expect to do very well.

Crax

May 21, 2018
I've been saying that Austin Butler really fits as a young Jack Sparrow if they wanna go that direction. He'd also be excellent as a new character.

Also bring back Gore Verbinski

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Honestly ain't no way I see them bringing Depp back if they have any smarts about it, it'd be folly to do so imo. They'd essentially be paying out the ass for a dude who's liable to be constantly late to set and probably won't bother to learn his lines. Hiring him is like hiring late stage Brando imo - no guarantee he'll give a shit or give a good performance, high chance he'll be a liability to the production and cause budget overruns, and his name isn't enough to guarantee a hit anymore.

Gore Verbinski I think would be nice to see back though. Never felt it was fair he seemed to get kicked to the curb completely after Lone Ranger.

Last edited:

toppa

Aug 25, 2023
Honestly ain't no way I see them bringing Depp back if they have any smarts about it, it'd be folly to do so imo. They'd essentially be paying out the ass for a dude who's liable to be constantly late to set and probably won't bother to learn his lines. Hiring him is like hiring late stage Brando imo - no guarantee he'll give a shit or give a good performance, high chance he'll be a liability to the production and cause budget overruns, and his name isn't enough to guarantee a hit anymore.

Gore Verbinski I think would be nice to see back though. Never felt it was fair he seemed to get kicked to the curb completely after Lone Ranger.
The guy was being abused by Amber Heard during the filming of Part 5. I'm sure that had an effect on his professional life.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Have you watched Black Sails? 4 fantastic seasons.

It's real pirates mixed with Treasure Island.
You've got Anne Bonny, Jack Rackham, Charles Vane, Edward Teach, Mary Reed and more.
As a huge pirate-nut, of course I did!

Not sure if I liked it though. Way too much plotting and back talking instead of swashbuckling and looting. Typical Starz show. They even made Blackbeard feel like a chump. Vane was played by a jacked up serious as hell dude. And Low just came and went? The dude was one of the most notorious ones.

Jenkins's Our Flag Means Death was much better. Pure dark comedy, lots of action and silly moments and yeah it also has fictional pirates mixed with real ones. I want a PotC movie close to that. preferably with an age appropriate Stede Bonnet.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
There's a universe out there with Robert Sheehan is cast as a young Jack Sparrow.... and it's perfect

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Can't they just adapt this instead? 🙄🤷

51Cz8hU69vL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
The guy was being abused by Amber Heard during the filming of Part 5. I'm sure that had an effect on his professional life.
It's a trend beyond Pirates 5 and I wasn't even getting into the whole other kerfuffle. Guy still has a rep for showing up late for everything, he had it before the whole other guff and he still has it afterwards. I think he was a great actor, when I say he's like late-stage Brando that's as much a compliment to his old work as it is a judgment on his current work - I love a lot of his older stuff, but his every performance now seems chronically low effort and he's a nuisance to production, which is a shame. I just don't think hiring him again is the move, he costs too much both in salary and in wasted time, his recent stuff hasn't been doing so hot, etc. etc. all that put together and it just seems like a bad idea imo.

Last edited:

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Can't they just adapt this instead? 🙄🤷

51Cz8hU69vL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
I loved these books as a kid
In fact, one of the very petty reasons I disliked Pirates 5 was that its Jack Sparrow flashback scene essentially contradicts this book series.

Jack Sparrow is a fascinating character, in the sense that his backstory and EU history is 10x more interesting than anything that ended up on screen.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
If they are going to reboot, then they actually need to reboot and resist the temptation to bring in familiar characters.

If they aren't going to reboot, then they need to pony up to give Depp a sunset film and then move on.

Either way, they find themselves in a position where they need an equally charismatic actor to come up with an equally charismatic character to headline the franchise, and I don't envy that position.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
No Depp would be great. He hasn't had a good performance in like a decade and handcuffing such an interesting world for a past-his-prime unprofessional actor would make the movie destined to fail.

Apr 19, 2018
I raise you this wonderful watch (if you have the time):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtEYWMuw5c8

I've always enjoyed 2 and 3 more than others. Having recently rewatched them, I like 2 and 3 even more now. As the video mentions, the tangled web of plots that makes 2 pretty heavy is less of a burden in a post-MCU world, I think. So my conclusion has shifted to that it's not that 1 was lightning in a bottle, it's that the one key ingredient that made the trilogy work was Verbinski. The wheel fight has not yet been matched.

Will definitely give this a watch, but agreed on much of your assessment. I'm one of those who loves Dead Man's Chest the most out of the three; Davy Jones, the Kraken, Liar's Dice, the bone cage chase, drunken pirate-y Norrington, the wheel fight, that cliffhanger ending -- it's all amazing.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Will definitely give this a watch, but agreed on much of your assessment. I'm one of those who loves Dead Man's Chest the most out of the three; Davy Jones, the Kraken, Liar's Dice, the bone cage chase, drunken pirate-y Norrington, the wheel fight, that cliffhanger ending -- it's all amazing.
Took the words and scenes right out of my mouth. 2 will always be my favorite for how much it expanded the world -- exactly what you want a sequel to a tightly written film to do. I can still remember where I sat in the theater when Barbossa chomped on that apple. A lot of bests in class in that film.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought Star Wars was on an upward trajectory. AFAIK the TV shows have all done reasonably well and next year will see a new movie for the first time in 6 years (at that point), a movie that most expect to do very well.
Unsure where you're getting this Star Wars 2025 movie info?