• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The Numbers website updated its list of the highest-earning films worldwide in 2020, and the Demon Slayer – Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie: Mugen Train anime now stands at #1 with a worldwide tally of US$474.6 million. The film earned the equivalent of US$435 million outside the United States, and US$39.6 million in the United States.

The Numbers reports that the #2 film, China's The Eight Hundred, earned the equivalent of US$472,575,002 worldwide. The Deadline website had reported last month that The Eight Hundred's actual tally was US$450 million, due to fluctuating currency exchange rates.

Demon Slayer is the first non-Hollywood or non-American film to top the yearly box office worldwide since the beginning of cinema over a century ago.

Source

I'm guessing it'll slowly add more as it keeps playing in theaters here. Per the Demon Slayer twitter, it already surpassed $40 million USD.

Top 10 per The Numbers

screenshot2021-05-13aqak1u.png

Anyway, saw it a few days ago, great movie.

Congrats Demon Slayer!

de53d2d5acb8c8eaf29253a87747199228366ed2.gifv

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This might be the only shonen series in existence that will get fully animated with high budget until the end.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Damn, that's nuts. I ain't really into anime anymore, but all the hype I've been hearing over this movie the last couple of months got me a bit curious.

Is this movie legit good? Do I gotta watch anything before hand or can I just jump in?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I know COVID was the reason it ended up there, but I still can't believe an R-rated animated film is the highest grossing movie of the year.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
the question is, is this repeatable given it comming out as people are just getting their vacines, and nothing much else to compete with it?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's nuts. I ain't really into anime anymore, but all the hype I've been hearing over this movie the last couple of months got me a bit curious.

Is this movie legit good? Do I gotta watch anything before hand or can I just jump in?
It's like watching the entire 2nd season of a tv show.

You can get the gist of everything fairly easily but it's really for the anime fans.

OP
OP
Rainy

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017

It's great. And yeah you 100% should watch the first season of the anime. It's on Netflix in the US now. The movie picks up literally where the last episode leaves off and is completely canon.

the question is, is this repeatable given it comming out as people are just getting their vacines, and nothing much else to compete with it?
I think it'll get easily beaten this year, at least worldwide, by the Marvel releases like Black Widow and stuff.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
It's great. And yeah you 100% should watch the first season of the anime. It's on Netflix in the US now. The movie picks up literally where the last episode leaves off and is completely canon.

I think it'll get easily beaten this year, at least worldwide, by the Marvel releases like Black Widow and stuff.
oh it will be beat in the second half for sure, I meant I dont see a anime film being top off the box office as a trend, just a one off becouse of covid.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Demon Slayer is the first non-Hollywood or non-American film to top the yearly box office worldwide since the beginning of cinema over a century ago."

I know Covid is the main reason, but this is crazy.

OP
OP
Rainy

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
"Demon Slayer is the first non-Hollywood or non-American film to top the yearly box office worldwide since the beginning of cinema over a century ago."

I know Covid is the main reason, but this is crazy.
If I had the time I would check the legitimacy of the statement but it logically makes sense. It would have happened either way with The Eight Hundred leading the way until DS surpassed it.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017

No, not really it's subpar but great animation.

I would recommend watching the anime at least before seeing the film. There is a lot of characters that even I didn't remember since the anime stopped airing.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It's like watching the entire 2nd season of a tv show.

You can get the gist of everything fairly easily but it's really for the anime fans.
No, not really. I would recommend watching the anime at least before seeing the film. There is a lot of characters that even I didn't remember since the anime stopped airing.
Ah... dang. Should've guessed there was some kind of prerequisite, oh well. Thanks for the info.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I read the manga. They nailed the emotional ending for this movie. Congrats to them.

OP
OP
Rainy

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I read the manga. They nailed the emotional ending for this movie. Congrats to them.
I haven't read the manga but in your opinion how do you think the rest of the series will be split up? Season 2 and 3 and then another movie? Or season 2 and a movie? Not sure how much material is left.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't read the manga but in your opinion how do you think the rest of the series will be split up? Season 2 and 3 and then another movie? Or season 2 and a movie? Not sure how much material is left.
I would say two seasons, or one season and two movies. Final arc is way too big for a single movie and there isn't really a good spot for it to be split.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Three more seasons honestly. Or two more seasons and a two part movie

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
I read the first volume and it just... did not click at all. Is the anime better, or am I totally out of the loop here?

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
If I was in charge, I would do a season 2 covering the next two arcs, a season 3 for everything in the final arc until the final fight, then a movie for the final fight/epilogue. Easy money lol.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I read the first volume and it just... did not click at all. Is the anime better, or am I totally out of the loop here?
at the end of the day it's just some fantasy story. The anime has great voice acting and animation. I enjoyed it mostly cause of the anime and voice acting. The story in the manga remains good throughout IMO and has a clear cut path the author wanted. Doesn't stray or outstay it's welcome

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The first volume doesn't complete the First five episodes of the anime. It's very faithful, so I would check out the anime for a couple of episodes past that and see if it clicks. A lot of people will say episode 19 is what got them hooked.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
The first volume doesn't complete the First five episodes of the anime. It's very faithful, so I would check out the anime for a couple of episodes past that and see if it clicks. A lot of people will say episode 19 is what got them hooked.
I made it (in the manga) to where the MC is in a more modern city and senses a demon, seemingly the one that ate his family. Is it that much better in motion? I feel like im really missing something cool here with all the hype lol

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
It's the kind of manga that hit jackpot with the anime adaptation that elevated it way more than what the source material could be.

The manga was pretty mediocre and already on the verge of getting axed before ufotable came in with a banger adaptation and made it an absolute behemoth of a series.
Hell, it's not like it suddenly became massive once the anime started. The earlier part of the anime didn't even made that much of a buzz (it had its moment here and there and the animations, particularly the fight scenes, are always good) until one particular sequence toward the end of the season that they went all out with the animation and the internet exploded. Then the movie came out and it's even better than that.

The manga was already heading toward the end by that time though so they can't really squeeze more out of it.
I also heard that the author didn't actually get that much (at least directly) from the success of movie because the licensing was like a one time payment.
At least she get to ended the manga knowing that she created one of the most successful series in the recent years though.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The anime is worth it for episode 19 and the OST that plays there, absolutely incredible.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I just got back from this with my daughter.
She was ballin her eyes out. asking my "How are you not crying right now".

First time I ever been to the theater for an anime, and I got caught up on it on Netflix just so I could take her to go watch it in the theater, since we hadn't been in over a year, and she was all about this movie.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
I will check out the anime based on y'all's response because man that manga was dry lol

Ballerman

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021

the anime is immensely better yes. it has some of the best looking animation of any weekly anime, just genuinely majestic looking stuff.

one of the instances where the manga simply can't compare just due to the inherent limitations of the medium.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
the anime is immensely better yes. it has some of the best looking animation of any weekly anime, just genuinely majestic looking stuff.

one of the instances where the manga simply can't compare just due to the inherent limitations of the medium.
May be the only way the manga is better than the anime is because your ears won't have to endure Zenitsu's screaming.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
My wife's been watching Demon Slayer at the request of one of my friends. I've caught a few episodes, but it seems somewhat generic? Like "spend all your time learning _____ unrealistic skill then defeat all baddies". Any other plotlines take ages to explore.

Meanwhile I couldn't get her more than a few episodes into Code Geass.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
My wife's been watching Demon Slayer at the request of one of my friends. I've caught a few episodes, but it seems somewhat generic? Like "spend all your time learning _____ unrealistic skill then defeat all baddies". Any other plotlines take ages to explore.

Meanwhile I couldn't get her more than a few episodes into Code Geass.
It is pretty generic yeah, but it has the best animation quality by far for shonen anime.

Try get your wife to watch Jujutsu Kaisen, it's coming to Netflix next month.