• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
10 years ago today, one of the most famous posts of all time was made by Muppet345

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I've seen so many versions of this post reworked for most major news stories over the last decade, and it always makes me smile

So, do we have any Japanese culture experts here? How did Squares shot to the foot affect them over the last decade?

Mods, bring shame on me if this thread is against the rules

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I remember after the trailer ended and the FF XIII logo came up the internet kind of imploded lol fun times.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Y'all realize that post was satire, right

oni-link just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Internet satire culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in real-life comedy where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a fellow meme connoisseur over on the internet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the internet public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to see posts from oni-link or any alt accounts they try to make, nor will they reply to any of their threads. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but oni-link has alienated an entire internet community with this move.

oni-link, publicly apologize and get a mod to lock this thread or you can kiss your internet rep goodbye.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
oni-link just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Internet satire culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in real-life comedy where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a fellow meme connoisseur over on the internet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the internet public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to see posts from oni-link or any alt accounts they try to make, nor will they reply to any of their threads. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but oni-link has alienated an entire internet community with this move.

oni-link, publicly apologize and get a mod to lock this thread or you can kiss your internet rep goodbye.

74c.gif

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
10 years already? Fucking hell.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
One of the worst E3s of all time. One of the best posts of all time, however.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
any sufficiently advanced satire is indistinguishable from being a dumbshit on the internet

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fell for this a few years ago when it was reposted/changed around. Shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.