• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which TV streaming services will survive in 10 years?

• Hulu

Votes: 153 24.9%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 482 78.5%
  • Amazon Prime Video

Votes: 553 90.1%
  • Paramount +

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Peacock

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Apple TV+

Votes: 316 51.5%
  • Discovery+

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
UK citizen here. The only one of those that I've heard anyone say they use or talk positively about is Amazon Prime Video. People only seem to bother with Prime because they already have an Amazon Prime subscription and the extra bonuses keep them from cancelling. The music service bundled with Prime is alright too, but most of what I like requires paying an extra tenner a month for Unlimited.

The vast majority of UK citizens seem to use Netflix and for some the benefits of Netflix outweigh the need for a Sky box hence my sister in-law has cancelled her Sky satellite subscription as Netflix plus Disney provide almost everything she could want. I'm not even sure if the vast majority of people in the UK have even heard of any of the listed services besides Amazon Prime Video. I see adverts for stuff like Brit Box, but forget what that even includes, plus there's stuff like top-up TV, but I don't know who uses that. Before streaming services, people on a budget stuck to the main five channels and maybe a Freeview box, while those who wanted more had a Sky box. Netflix changed how people watch television, it's too much hassle for most people to bother with multiple subscriptions, Disney being the main exception to that rule.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I voted for HBO Max, Paramount+, Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video.

HBO Max because HBO has been around for almost 20 years and been extremely popular for about 10 or so. It's still pretty popular and the HBO name carries a lot of weight and is recognizable. I don't see it getting shafted or merged into something else, and the naming will probably remain. HBO has a lot of known exclusive shows and will certainly continue to remain that way, even after Game of Thrones has ended.

Paramount+ I voted for out of pure hopium, but I think that the service has been pretty successful thus far and has a lot of great content and seems poised to keep adding more exclusives. Personally I think it's worth it for Smithsonian channel stuff alone (plus the occasional extra stuff) and I feel like the kids stuff will be great for parents and filling out a specific niche alongside Disney+. Seems like it's a bit late to the game, but it's been getting solid marketing and has a clear descriptor and Paramount executives are actually taking it seriously and not continuing to license out their stuff.

Apple TV+ will be around because Apple is willing to sink endless amounts of money into it for Apple One and over time it will be a pretty solid service, similar to Apple Arcade. Apple isn't going to kill it any time soon barring something crazy happening, and I think it's more likely to become further expanded in the coming years.

Amazon Prime Video will probably still be around, I can't see any real reason Amazon would kill it and it's one of the "big three" in streaming in my opinion

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV survives IMO esp if we're talking 10 years.

Of every service in this list, only two are vertically integrated, Amazon Prime and Apple TV, and Apple's vertical integration is infinitely more sophisticated and better built out than Amazon's. That's going to be a major contributing factor in how long services last.

Other than Amazon, Apples business model is so much better than every other company in that list. Apple and Amazon alone could buy and sell the rest of the names in that list and it'd be a blip on their revenue portfolio.

Apple or Amazon could buy Paramount+, HBO, or Peacock with the change in their CEOs pockets.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Apple TV has no other way to go but up. They even got Tom Hanks!!
Hulu will be a section of Disney+
Peacock will go bye and get acquired by whoever.
The rest will keep going.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
HBO Max and Amazon Prime are the only ones I feel confident in
I voted for Paramount+ too though

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
UK citizen here. The only one of those that I've heard anyone say they use or talk positively about is Amazon Prime Video. People only seem to bother with Prime because they already have an Amazon Prime subscription and the extra bonuses keep them from cancelling. The music service bundled with Prime is alright too, but most of what I like requires paying an extra tenner a month for Unlimited.

The vast majority of UK citizens seem to use Netflix and for some the benefits of Netflix outweigh the need for a Sky box hence my sister in-law has cancelled her Sky satellite subscription as Netflix plus Disney provide almost everything she could want. I'm not even sure if the vast majority of people in the UK have even heard of any of the listed services besides Amazon Prime Video. I see adverts for stuff like Brit Box, but forget what that even includes, plus there's stuff like top-up TV, but I don't know who uses that. Before streaming services, people on a budget stuck to the main five channels and maybe a Freeview box, while those who wanted more had a Sky box. Netflix changed how people watch television, it's too much hassle for most people to bother with multiple subscriptions, Disney being the main exception to that rule.

Of the services in the poll, I'm pretty sure that only Amazon, Apple and Discovery are actually available in the UK. Certainly HBO and Hulu aren't.

I do wonder what Sky's move ultimately will be with streaming. Are they doubling down on their satellite service or will they actually try and make NowTV into a worthwhile proposition? Surely they should be worried that their original content doesn't move the needle at all? Like if you take out the HBO stuff that they import (assuming HBO Max eventually comes here) what shows do they even have?

And they've had loads of their sports stuff swiped from them in recent years, which used to be their bread and butter.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HBO will be around but I can see the service undergoing somekind of restructuring or rebranding at some point as a "new" service.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The only one I'm confident about is Amazon Prime. I feel like it only goes away if Amazon itself does, and the world ain't good enough for that.

All the others I feel will either get gobbled up or rebooted. Maybe it'll just be a name change or an ownership swap, but none feel safe.

(so long as Criterion/Kanopy survive I'll be ok)

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Disney+ should be up there, I can't see the combined juggernaut of Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars going anywhere.
The one line in the OP I don't read...
Amazon will for sure be around, HBO will be around but probably be renamed or be re-booted, and Apple will keep going for the prestige.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Prime Video and Apple TV+ will be around a long, long time. Both are growing and exist as part of a larger value proposition for a bundle of services. They also both have original content worth watching (thought Apple's library is smaller of course).

HBO Max will survive because it's HBO. It's prestige tv. It's what Apple is striving for.

Nothing else will survive or have the kinds of numbers that entice investors. As for Hulu, does it exist outside of the US? Or is it all the shit that was added to Disney+ a while back in Canada and other markets? If the latter, it's only a matter of time before it's folded into D+ in the states.

trashbandit I'm pretty sure Disney+ isn't an option because it's pretty much universally accepted that it and Netflix are the giants that will be around forever.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
edit wrong thead.

Buuuut

Amazon stays, HBO stays (maybe another name change), Hulu is gone, merged into Disney, Paramount will become something else, Apple I'm not sure on. Anything else, probably gone.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
Of the services in the poll, I'm pretty sure that only Amazon, Apple and Discovery are actually available in the UK. Certainly HBO and Hulu aren't.

I do wonder what Sky's move ultimately will be with streaming. Are they doubling down on their satellite service or will they actually try and make NowTV into a worthwhile proposition? Surely they should be worried that their original content doesn't move the needle at all? Like if you take out the HBO stuff that they import (assuming HBO Max eventually comes here) what shows do they even have?

And they've had loads of their sports stuff swiped from them in recent years, which used to be their bread and butter.

I think Sky have been a bit slow and Netflix are taking their customers. If Sky had been quicker to get on the streaming side of things they could of essentially stopped Netflix from gaining steam in Blighty. Game of Thrones being their biggest show or at least amongst the younger demographics. I really wouldn't be suprised to see Netflix gobble up anything that isn't Disney or Apple. If Amazon discard services like Google do, then whatever's on Amazon Prime video could quite conceivably end up on Netflix. I'm curious about Apple as they seem more niche, at least in Europe. Sure lots of people have iPhones and iPads, but the Apple TV situation feels a bit like Amazon Prime Video to me. Sky surviving the streaming wars will depend on regulations that stop the market from shrinking down to just a handful of companies, well that and what they have versus Netflix. Sky also seems quite expensive compared to Netflix. As for NOW TV, I'm sure someone uses it, but ask yourself who and do you know anyone that uses it and is happy with it compared to what Netflix has to offer.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said, Prime Video is basically just part of being a Prime member. IT's always there.

With AppleOne subscriptions-AppleTV is there and is going to be perpetually funded. I don't see any future in which our family plan of Apple Music/iCloud/Apple Fitness/Apple TV is ever going to go away because we used all of those features.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we disagree on anything tbh lol. Maybe I should've used a different word, but when I say "die" I basically just mean it won't be around as an independent service anymore. Which can mean it's killed outright or acquired by someone else.

Lol, it started as one or two notes, but it basically became just additional thoughts. I just forgot to change that part lol

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I think Sky have been a bit slow and Netflix are taking their customers. If Sky had been quicker to get on the streaming side of things they could of essentially stopped Netflix from gaining steam in Blighty. Game of Thrones being their biggest show or at least amongst the younger demographics. I really wouldn't be suprised to see Netflix gobble up anything that isn't Disney or Apple. If Amazon discard services like Google do, then whatever's on Amazon Prime video could quite conceivably end up on Netflix. I'm curious about Apple as they seem more niche, at least in Europe. Sure lots of people have iPhones and iPads, but the Apple TV situation feels a bit like Amazon Prime Video to me. Sky surviving the streaming wars will depend on regulations that stop the market from shrinking down to just a handful of companies, well that and what they have versus Netflix. Sky also seems quite expensive compared to Netflix. As for NOW TV, I'm sure someone uses it, but ask yourself who and do you know anyone that uses it and is happy with it compared to what Netflix has to offer.

I've used NowTV in the past and it's really a substandard service.

Firstly there's different subscriptions for TV and films for some reason, so it costs twice as much to get everything (not including sports, which is a totally different thing). Also everything is just in bog standard HD, which is fine but the quality is really poor compared to like D+ and Netflix.

Worst though is that most shows are only on there temporarily, presumably due to the contracts they have. So you'll be watching something and it'll suddenly just be gone. It's so frustrating.

If NowTV is Sky's answer to the streaming wars then they've already lost tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think the big tech giants services will continue to survive, Amazon just grabbed MGM, do they are in it for the long haul. Apple seems to really be going all in on original programming.

I'm not sure if Hulu is going to die, I believe Disney gets good $$ on the ad supported tiers. I know they will lose some 3rd party stuff. But it's possible that Disney might just roll them into Disney plus.

HBO/Discovery, lots of great content and the addition of Discovery helps, I wonder how much the bundle will be?

paramount and peacock? If I had to guess these will be the services that don't make it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say Netflix, Disney+ and Game Pass but none of them are in the poll.
Amazon probably too so voted that.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be the controversial one here, Netflix will not survive a decade. I think they'll be assimilated into MS or Alphabet.

Netflix has best in class churn and is outperforming its competitors by a large margin. They also have a much higher customer count, particularly in the international market.

9PeFJXe.jpg

They're also investing in the future by focusing on international growth, expanding their content moat through massive investment in Netflix Originals, and spending a lot on r&d to improve their technology.

Things would have to go very wrong for them to not be around in a decade.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Prime Video has the content and the funding to stick around for a very long time.

They're actually investing in blockbuster shows like The Boys and the upcoming LOTR series. They're here to play in the big leagues.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I find it very difficult to say, outside of of course Netflix and Disney+, each have some reasons why they won't make it.

There are the obvious ones, Hulu will over time be integrated into Disney+, once Disney+ is established enough that people are willing to pay more money for it. It's better for Disney to have one consolidated expensive subscription than two cheap ones which they both need to make content for. So Hulu will go. Paramount and Peacock, no clue who it's for really. Discovery+ is too expensive, I just don't think there's a market big enough of people paying big money to watch low rent documentaries and shows (and the olympic games every two years) so they will have to adapt...or... well there's the other thing, can all these services just exist ten years from now while servicing a market of a few million customers max? Maybe? So even though they won't increase in size, maybe they don't have to, in order to still be there ten years from now. In either case they might find it more sustainable to be like one of those Prime channels or sell themselves to one of the big streaming companies.

That leaves the interesting three, HBO Max, Prime Video and Apple+.

• HBO Max - This is spoken from a myopic Yuropean perspective, but HBO somehow continues to f* up international roll out, being tied to cable companies that would rather drag them down with them than set them free to grow. The quality of the content is obviously there to keep subsisting for a long time, but if it takes another 5 to 10 years to start becoming a global player, the gap between the other companies will be insurmountable. With a huge disparity in viewers and funding, HBO might start hemorrhaging prestige shows and ultimately their raison d'etre. Still I think this is the most likely to keep trucking, simply because if not this then WarnerMedia is lost.
  • Prime Video - Is currently positioned the best. It's dirt cheap and has a bunch of great shows and movies, so it's the ideal third service you tack on next to Netflix and Disney+, which is all that any of these services can aspire to in the first place. I know a lot of people who have it, and even if you're not watching, it's something you just keep running because you don't notice the monthly cost anyway and it helps for the incidental Amazon order. The thing is, I can't believe Amazon is not losing big money on the service, given how cheap it is and how expensive the original content is that they produce. It appears to still be in that "luring people in" mode, ten years and counting. At some point they're going to want to increase the price. Will people stay if they do? That's a bit doubtful. So how long is Bezos going to keep losing money on this? Prime Video does have another ace that the others lack to this degree, and that's the ability to rent materials, or pay for additional channels. This is an extra income stream that they might just extend in favor of free programming if they want to bring down the cost.
  • Apple TV - Again myopic European view, but I just don't know anyone who's excited for Apple TV outside of hardcore Apple fans. There's a lot of those of course, but growth potential is limited. I know Apple is serious about services and is a 2 trillion dollar company, so they can say fuck you and keep doing this for 3000 years, but in my experience people don't want popular brands to blend over into completely different touchpoints. Too confusing. Apple is for devices, Netflix is for streaming. Now you can say the same for Amazon to an extent, which is true, but at least it started out selling (entertainment, books!) content, so I think people more easily accept it as such. Conversely, anyone still hype for Amazon Fire Tablets? And then there's the emotional baggage. Are android fans really going to get Apple TV in large numbers? I can see this end up in fourth or fifth place for the better part of a decade until the investors start questioning why this is still a thing. But hey, I'm not a 2 trillion dollar company, so don't take my word for it.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Here in Australia they recently launched the "Star" category (alongside Marvel, SW, Pixar and Disney) on Disney+ for accounts that are verified 18+. It contains all sorts of PG and above content, including stuff like Family Guy, Solar Opposites and Brickleberry. I honestly think it's the best service here in terms of content per dollar, I really like it and so do many of my friends. I think it proves there's capacity for Disney to move their more mature content to Disney+ without compromising their brand, so I'd wager Hulu's days are numbered.

HBO I think will survive so long as they can maintain that prestige. I also think Amazon and Apple will run their services at cost or even a small enough loss just for the mindshare. So they were my votes. I don't know enough about the others really as Paramount+ only launched very recently (looks good) and the others aren't available here.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Over these next 10 years I think streaming apps will become apps and you can watch them on the left side of your screen via guide. The state of the streaming world is getting bigger it's amazing how long it took to get movies at home.