mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
gettyimages-1252546472-slide-693b0c504a1406e436f57332e3ecf14f97fc5a21.png

8748.jpg

WGA Strike OT
SAG-AFTRA Strike OT

Well, it happened…
SAG-AFTRA and WGA are both on strike, fighting for streaming residuals, writers rooms, actor protections and SkyNet (gaming SAG might join them) and how did the Studios respond? By shooting themselves in the foot, and leg, and knee, and ass, and etc. basically, their highs post pandemic have already been burned into the ether.

And now the Fall TV season is in a whirlwind of reality and game shows...and funny enough IATSE could strike soon enough so all could be boned. Streamers do have an arsenal of shows loaded up and some have been granted the SAG approval to move on but if you are a US based production that uses actors or scripts, you are more frozen than Mitch McConnell.

Since Hot Strike Summer, the studio CEOs have dug up and acted stupid as hell with Bob Iger torching his goodwill after pulling a coup on Bob Chapek and then deciding to kill almost half of his streaming lineup, David Zaslav who has hired people to write propaganda pieces about how he's saving WB. CW who has opted after the Nexstar buyout to forgo the key 18-35 demo for retirees. Netflix who started this insanity and is now asking "We're gonna find the guy who did this!". Also all the studios are trying to find a way out of their debt. Oh right, the streaming bubble has deflated tenfold but cable numbers are also dropping to oblivion. Whoops.

And now, Broadcasters have increased focus on sports, game shows and reality shows and the latter might go up in smoke if more places unionize. Ain't it great.

Did I also mention the near end of Regional Sports Networks?

If you are in the EU, Korea, LatAm, you are ok or your place is anti union as hell. (Fuck you UK and your Equity rules.)

Welcome to the 2023-24 TV/Streaming Season, if these strikes last past Halloween...OH BOY. Hollywood so fucked royally.

Alternate Titles:
2023/24 TV/Streaming Ratings/Cancellations Thread |OT| Get Ready To Learn Korean Buddy
2023/24 TV/Streaming Ratings/Cancellations Thread |OT| AMPTP and the Pac-12 finally have something in common, both were ruined by rich clueless suits.
2023/24 TV/Streaming Ratings/Cancellations Thread |OT| Sponsored by BritBox
2023/24 TV/Streaming Ratings/Cancellations Thread |OT| The Re-Return of Donald Trump's Relevance
2023/24 TV/Streaming Ratings/Cancellations Thread |OT| The Only A.I. We Need Is the Spielburg Film and He Didn't Want That Either

hqdefault.jpg

New-Project-2.png

kramer-write.gif

king-of-the-hill-cast-yep.jpg

berzeli being the Godfather
G_Shumi
RatskyWatsky
ContractHolder
Spectromixer
TheNatureBoy
atdawnwestrike

Disney+ OT
Peacock OT
HBO MAX OT
Paramount+ OT

ZTDiOd9phJ2SGoIhKQh8SeL8BzQ=.gif

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
New thread smell! How lovely. If only we had some new scripted shows and seasons of shows to fill the thread with.

Oh well! How's everyone's backlog doing?

Also, mreddie I haven't done daily ratings in over a year. Lol.

Although, I'd definitely mention that TheNatureBoy and atdawnwestrike have been keeping the OTs alive for quite a while now with updates on many, many shows.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
WHO HAS SUMMONED ME FROM MY ETERNAL SLUMBER?

Oh the studios still haven't tried to end this? I'm going back to my eternal slumber then. Wake me when you need me.

I've got everything I missed from the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. So I'll be set for a couple of decades thanks to streaming.

... But please just pay your damn people studios.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
It only happened three days ago, so I can still complain here.

How I met your father was really fun and the cast had great chemistry. I wonder if it being cancelled was more a victim of the strike than Disney backing off streaming (like the + cancellations were last season)

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It only happened three days ago, so I can still complain here.

How I met your father was really fun and the cast had great chemistry. I wonder if it being cancelled was more a victim of the strike than Disney backing off streaming (like the + cancellations were last season)
Likely the former, however it was pushed in the Chapek era and almost all the Iger axes are to shows from that gold rush Chapek did.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, with everything going on there has been a lot less news lately. But I firmly stand with the writers/actors and hope they get everything they deserve for the future of the business.

I barely rock with network TV, outside of Abbott Elementary/Ghosts but there is more than enough in my backlog to keep me entertained. Plus there are still enough shows coming out for the rest of the year.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Ah, you got close, OP. But you forgot about Freeridge... coming from the few dozens of people who watched that show.

But hey, at least the broadcast networks have an excuse for their piss poor season this time.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I enjoyed HIMYF. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I will say that (outside of one character that basically now has a shitty ending arc due to what happened in the final episode) at least HIMYF threw enough bones that you at least can see most characters got a satisfying ending. So while it's a shame, I've been in worse positions with a show's cancellation.

RE: Current Streaming Era, we'll see what happens once the studios actually agree to satisfying demands for all parties what happens (like they should). Some services will inevitably go away (even though I'm one for actually hoping we have multiple players in the streaming market all competing with each other and making projects you couldn't do on cable with it's limitations in timeslots and focus. But that's a post for another day). And there's going to be growing pains. It is what it is.

Like it or not, things change. Hoping there was always going to be the main area of Cable only is like live theater always hoping movie theaters were never going to come. And I'm sure there will be another thing that appears down the road that will rock the entertainment industry and lead to chaos on both the bigwig level, and something creatives are going to have to stop said big wigs from being assholes about. Things change. Hopefully there's a way we can figure out how things can be more profitable long term under this new system while also making sure everyone is happy.

Maybe a naive mindset. Sure. But I'd like to think we can figure things out as changes happen, even if it doesn't move as smoothly as hoped and we have to keep pushing back against assholes while doing it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It is a fantastic time right now to be catching up, I'm trying to do it by streaming service so I can just unsub once I "exhaust" a service as the pace of new things slow down dramatically. Finished all my Trek rewatches and Tulsa King on Paramount+ before my 1 year sub ran out. Now tackling Apple TV+, just started See - Jason Momoa's "what if everyone was blind" post apocalyptic series, which I never see (hah) anyone ever talking about but its still like in the top 20 of Apple TV+ shows oddly enough, I guess everyone does love the Momoa.

Unsubbed to HBO a while ago and honestly I just don't see myself resubbing until House of the Dragon returns, then I can just catch up on everything i missed. I don't think I've even missed anything in the last few months. The Idol. lol When was the last week HBO had a must-watch on sunday night? I guess Winning Time is hitting that slot for them now but I don't know anyone who watched it.

May 10, 2018
With Riverdale & Nancy Drew ending. I only got one CW show left, Superman/Lois and that might as well already be over anyway with all the budget cuts.

My network tv days are coming to a close.

Outside of Superman, I only got The Rookie & Will Trent left.

There is The Rookie Feds but it wasn't even renewed before the strike so I'm doubtful it will make it with how long it will last.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
CW ended for me with Supernatural, and that was the only one I was watching there after Crazy Ex Girlfriend ended.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
There's... some tv this fall. Beyond that is.... well, clock is ticking for Halloween. I still have plenty to watch on my backlog that I'm not caught up with.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
If interview with the vampire doesn't make it to season 3 I will be inconsolable.

Gotta rewatch S1 before S2 drops.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Are there reasons for fear of cancellations of Interview with the Vampire? is it because of the strike?
I'm currently on episode 1 and it's really good

Last edited:

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Netflix continues to knock it out of the park with shows like One Piece.

And I have come to admit that I am enjoying the Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime. The first season was driving me crazy with all the changes from the books. With the second season I am just sitting back and enjoying the show.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished season 5 of Buffy the other night

Now waiting anxiously to see what the One Piece numbers are

deadline.com

‘One Piece’ Sails To Top Of Netflix TV Charts; ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ Takes No. 1 On Film List

You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah took the cake as the most-viewed title on Netflix for the week

One Piece soared to the top of Netflix's English-language TV charts during its premiere week with 18.5M views from August 28 to September 3. The live-action adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's manga is in the Top 10 in 93 countries and No. 1 in 46 of them, according to Netflix.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Damn dude how did I miss perry Mason being cancelled. Like it's no surprise given how pricey it looked but shit that still sucks

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
hadn't realized that American Auto was canceled, actually kind of enjoyed that. Wasn't as good as Superstore, though. Hopefully Spitzer's new series is good.

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Crikey! CBS Adds Paramount+ Australia’s ‘NCIS: Sydney’ to Strike-Affected Fall Schedule

CBS has added "NCIS: Sydney" to its fall lineup on Monday nights; the fifth "NCIS" series was originally commissioned just for Paramount+ Australia.

CBS just smiled and gave us a Vegemite sandwich. "NCIS: Sydney," previously announced as a Paramount+ Australia original and the first international edition of CBS' "NCIS" procedural franchise, is making it to the U.S. shores as well. CBS will air "NCIS: Sydney" this fall on Monday nights at 10 p.m., starting Nov. 13, following its exclusive Paramount+ Australia premiere on Friday, Nov. 10.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New thread smell! How lovely. If only we had some new scripted shows and seasons of shows to fill the thread with.

Let's see, starting Dahmer Monster Dahmer, almost done with S4 of Schitt's Creek, and S2 of Iron Fist, which is surprisingly good?? Next up will be Chucky S2 to offset some of that Dahmer yickiness.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy this thread is here. I am happy you all are here. Thanks for the awesomeness.