• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Now that my neighborhood FINALLY got good internet, fiber freaking optic boiii, I can say digital is the future! And if this place can get good net (middle of nowhere) then anybody should be able to. But seriously, I know a lot of places still have little to no good net options.

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V dropping in price super fast helped with this. I will never pay €70 for a video game, and them charging that much digitally is ridiculous (retail copies are in the €55-€60 range). But when BFV got that PSN sale for €45 just two weeks after release, I had to get that one.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I can still get physical I don't care how others buy their games. The day physical is done I think ill go pc only. And I got a strange feeling alot of this was due to the crazy discounts for bf5 and a few others.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I'll still stay physical for the foreseeable future, but will be interesting to see how this transforms next gen consoles.

Even though BF V shot like a million lower than expectations (BF1 being meh would do that alone), part of me is happy these numbers are out to partially silence the crazy historical accuracy/MRA/alt-right crowd claiming victory for hurting battlefield for their ridiculous stances.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The physical retail partners are more important with the platform holders.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Target has reduced the amount of space for games in their new redesign that they're rolling out to stores. Best Buy has been reducing space too. There's a transition happening in front of us and I don't think physical games is something we can bank on as a guaranteed thing. Just like how physical moves at a retail B&M store has had a significant reduction in presence.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Why does no one talk about how expensive digital games are compared to physical?

The net cost is easily 2-3x higher for digital when you factor lower purchase price and resale of physical.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Once we get to 50/50 we can finally get the conversation of our time that we really need.

Move aside "The headphone jack on a mobile has to be removed in order to allow the wireless headphone market to simply exist. Choice is anti-consumer."

Instead we need "Physical discs have to be removed so that closed off markets on a console can finally get the respect they deserve and RRPs not be undercut at release".

If being a gamer in 2019 has taught me anything it's that wanting to look out for my own interests is a terrible stance to take.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Umm where is Nirolak? He is usually the one with the industry news an such.....Haven't seen him in a while.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I split my purchases these days tbh. Games I get from PS+, Steam games obviously, F2P stuff like Apex Legends, and then some games I just buy digitally like RE2 recently but I also own a vast amount of physical games.

Honestly I just make my decision based off whether or not I can get to the store that day to buy whatever I want and if not I'll do it digitally (or Amazon) lol.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
You think its gross that not everyone can DL games as easy even though EA's growth shows that eventually most will? Lol, please stop with the foolishness.

Your post makes no sense.

Digital availability doesn't mean that ISP speeds are up to par. EA's growth does not mean that people can download games as easily as others. People in cities and major areas benefit from this, but many don't.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The "all digital future" is when I either drop out of gaming completely or never buy another game at launch again. Paying 60 dollars for digital games is just not something I'll ever be doing.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Although I worry about Microsoft and Sony having closed platforms. There is no competing digital stores on those platforms. That is not good.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this pure sales or are they counting their download services as sales as well like EA access?

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Other more sales savy people have mentioned this before. But the low price constant sales do a ton of work for digital (in a good way). A lot of those old second hand sales have started become more of that.
Why go to the store and get Titanfall 2 when it's on sale for $4.50 digitally? That sort of convenience and price difference is worth the download wait even on slow speeds.

That would affect to the net revenue don't you think? Unless the revenue is higher thanks to many people buying in sales.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
The "all digital future" is when I either drop out of gaming completely or never buy another game at launch again. Paying 60 dollars for digital games is just not something I'll ever be doing.
Yep, this is me.

Paying more than rental price for games you can't own is fucking stupid.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Target has reduced the amount of space for games in their new redesign that they're rolling out to stores. Best Buy has been reducing space too. There's a transition happening in front of us and I don't think physical games is something we can bank on as a guaranteed thing. Just like how physical moves at a retail B&M store has had a significant reduction in presence.
Isn't that because more games are digital only these days? I'm talking about stuff like mid tier games and Indies. The bigger releases are still physical too.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember those days where there was a chance you may not pick up a highly anticipated game because it's out of stock?

Feels amazing, long may digital continue to grow.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Physical isn't going anywhere for a long while if at all , but ain't no convincing the "progressives" or either side of the coin

Ea is a heavy based publisher of online experiences , experiences that cater to a digital infrastructure
In honesty I would prefer online only / gaas didn't even release on hard copy.

Physical releases should be reserved for more experience based games (ori , god of war , botw) not fortnite and black ops

I have no doubt the industry will hit a 60% margin within the next gen (gen wide) Sony is currently sat at 35-37%

Games becoming more service related etc will help boost this considerably

But like music , films etc that will eventually flatline as growth of gaming in general won't canabalise the revenue from physical as it is self sustained bubble , based around upcoming nations , collectors and retail (primarily to appease amazon etc)

Digital revenue will rise and rise but the percentage will become a lot more flatline

It will become a niche , choice is great for consumers , I fully intend to embrace a blend of digital and physical next gen.
with physical allocated to collection worthy titles etc

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Physical isn't going anywhere for a long while if at all , but ain't no convincing the "progressives" in this bubble

Ea is a heavy based publisher of online experiences , experiences that cater to a digital infrastructure
In honesty I would prefer online only / gaas didn't even release on hard copy.

Physical releases should be reserved for more experience based games (ori , god of war , botw) not fortnite and black ops

I have no doubt they industry will hit a 60% margin within the next gen (gen wide) Sony is currently sat at 35-37%

But like music , films etc that will eventually flatline as growth of gaming in general won't canabalise the revenue from physical as it is self sustained bubble , based around upcoming nations , collectors and retail (primarily to appease amazon etc)

Digital revenue will rise and rise but the percentage will become a lot more flatline

It will become a niche , choice is great for consumers , I fully intend to embrace a blend of digital and physical next gen.
with physical allocated to collection worthy titles etc

Streaming or subscription base is significantly bigger than both physical and digital sales for music and tv shows. Not sure about movies.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is significantly bigger than both physical and digital sales for music and tv shows. Not sure about movies.

Yeah I said that ... movie wise streaming accounts for nearly 60%

But Blu Ray revenue is worth millions
For example 90% revenue for greatest showman was disc based etc even if that market is now only 30%

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. The more convenient and higher value option wins.
More convenient sure, if you have good internet, but higher value? Total bullshit. I can buy physical games cheaper than digital 9 times out of 10 plus I can resell them.

That little bit of convenience you gain comes at the expense of a lot of your rights.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
53% are entitled to consumer options

This industry is considerably bigger than ea and there gaas driven sales

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I generally prefer physical over digital download whenever the choice is available, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to snag a downloadable copy of Burnout Paradise Remastered for $8.99 back in October.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
More convenient sure, if you have good internet, but higher value? Total bullshit. I can buy physical games cheaper than digital 9 times out of 10 plus I can resell them.

That little bit of convenience you gain comes at the expense of a lot of your rights.

Agreed. I can get a lot of games for $30 cheaper going physical, which makes it even better. I can also get games from a certain retailer, play them for a week, then return them for a credit refund if I choose. Or borrow them from the library.

Not having to switch discs is great, but those benefits outweigh digital. And that's not counting the whole downloading thing.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Digital definitely has made my life easier. I have old consoles and boxes and shit in some suit case. With digital I don't have to worry about the space lol and the clutter it's gonna cause.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Is this units or revenue? I imagine they moved a ton of copies of battlefront 2 when it was $6 (like it is right now)

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Other more sales savy people have mentioned this before. But the low price constant sales do a ton of work for digital (in a good way). A lot of those old second hand sales have started become more of that.
Why go to the store and get Titanfall 2 when it's on sale for $4.50 digitally? That sort of convenience and price difference is worth the download wait even on slow speeds.

Right, but that makes the numbers very misleading.