• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I was just eating instant noodles and a pint of broccoli cheddar soup I bought from Costco. It's quite nice, but it gets salty after a while, so I ate a banana to guff it all down. Then I drink a cup of eggnog that I bought from the supermarket. I guess it's the seasonal thing that's happening whenever Autumn arrives.

Anyway, while I was eating my lunch, I decided to browse on my Discord and see what's going on in real life. What caught my eyes were a discussion a few gamedevs were chatting about, in regards to the Nintendo Switch.

I'll highlight the important points in bullet list for now:
  • A gamedev mentioned how, amongst his friends and colleagues, they all predicted in 5 to 10 years, everything is going to be streamed.
To bring in some context, what they are talking about are video games. Starting with the home PC, it will be a server or a large computer with a powerful graphics card, and then you'll start to virtualize instances (like VMs) to use on laptops or thin clients around your home or your portable devices. Your laptop might even support SIM cards to enable cellular 5G connection and you can use that as your high-speed internet to access your home PC. They think that, with this technology, you can play streamed games on your devices. And they wanted to encourage more developers/studios to try out putting their games on the cloud and stream them.

But then, the discussion pivoted over to the downsides of streamed games. For instance, the Switch. They think that, with such offerings, streamed games like the Switch cloud edition games, wouldn't be as enticing to the Switch users who wanted to obtain physical copies of the games.

This spawned another discussion where, another gamedev joined the conversation and added their opinions, saying that streamed games (cloud edition games) on the Switch are not as compelling as streamed games on a tablet (iOS, Android tablets). And then another gamedev (4th one) mentioned you can strap a hotspot battery pack add-on to your Switch.

All in all, they feel that the cloud edition games on the Nintendo Switch is starting to become the widespread acceptance of an industry standard for streaming games to a portable device. And that they can see the benefits of moving their games to the Switch because of this benefit.

• Online multiplayer-focused games are acceptable if they are also cloud edition games on the Nintendo Switch
After a bit of munching on my noodles and slurping up my broccoli cheddar soup, I noticed I needed to throw my trash out because it's trash pick-up day. I walked outside and I see a bunch of trash bags piling up in our neighborhood dumpster, preventing me from being able to push them all down to give room for my trash. Ugh... I wished they just stop throwing a lot sometimes.

Anyway, I returned to my desk after a brief outing in the partly cloudy day, and I noticed another discussion topic on Discord. A gamedev mentioned that, it might be possible to increase graphical quality on the Nintendo Switch, if the game is both:
  1. Cloud edition game
  2. Online multiplayer-focused game.
Since, you need to be always online to play the multiplayer game on the Switch, and you need to be online to play the cloud edition of the same game. This means, if the streamed game requires intense graphical visuals, a lot of particle effects, physics-heavy destructibles, and other performance-tanking calculations, it might still be possible to offer such a game to the Switch users. This allows the gamedevs to look into another ever-growing revenue-making market of the Nintendo fanbase, and market their games towards this.

Well, that gamedev got shot down by others, because it's more about the form factor of the Nintendo Switch when you're playing an online-multiplayer heavy game, particularly if the game is a cloud edition of the game.

I see this as interesting as my cup of eggnog, and I don't have much to say on this... so I thought I share these discussions to you all.

Thoughts?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The main or only way to play games? Because the distinction is important. I don't think it will be the ONLY way to play games in the next decade just because you essentially cut out a massive part of the market who have poor internet connection, no internet connection, or have data caps. I agree that multiplayer games (especially on a portable device) makes the most sense being streamed-only because it's already technically always being streamed.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sure, if your game is multiplayer only, makes total sense to have it being on the cloud. That was one of the things Stadia was going for, but in the end, no one used that.

I think those topics are a discussion for all of the industry and not just the Switch. I think streaming is the future, but it will take a while... 10 years is good guess for richer countries, but not sure about everyone else as the big impediment for streaming is Internet accessibility and speed. Solving that is not just a matter of technology but also infrastructure, economics and politics.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Post fixed to match avatar:

I was just eating instant noodles and a pint of broccoli cheddar soup I bought from Costco. It's quite nice, but it gets salty after a while, so I ate a banana to guff it all down. Then I drink a cup of eggnog that I bought from the supermarket. I guess it's the seasonal thing that's happening whenever Autumn arrives.

After a bit of munching on my noodles and slurping up my broccoli cheddar soup, I noticed I needed to throw my trash out because it's trash pick-up day. I walked outside and I see a bunch of trash bags piling up in our neighborhood dumpster, preventing me from being able to push them all down to give room for my trash. Ugh... I wished they just stop throwing a lot sometimes.

Anyway, I returned to my desk after a brief outing in the partly cloudy day

I see this as interesting as my cup of eggnog, and I don't have much to say on this...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Two things of note:

1. I'm literally eating a broccoli cheddar soup w/ bread bowl.

2. I use XBox streaming to my pc, phone, tablet almost everyday. That and steampunk works well for me. I can enjoy stadia on my wife, but my cell signal isn't fast enough yet.

Streaming, in some capacity, is the future. Personally, I think MS is leading the way in functionality.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Unless data caps are killed or a good low bandwidth video codec that doesn't look like complete shit with games comes out no streaming won't become the default.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
whoa, cheddar broccoli soup AND instant noodles? that is a lot of salt. But I can't really imagine a banana helps cut that saltiness?

anyway as other posters have already mentioned, we just don't have enough freely flowing internet for streaming games to become the norm, and it's a bit difficult to imagine this radically changing even a whole decade out. I can easily imagine it growing; it has been in the general state of gaming for a decent while now. But I don't think it'll replace physical.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
You've made me hungry, OP. >:(

I can see it becoming a trend, but the games that are going for global saturation / shit-internet accessiblity or by conservative devs (most of all, Nintendo games) are going to stay local for a bit longer.

Deleted member 87949

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Sorry, what's the source? Is this third-hand? "A few game devs on Discord" could be literally anyone.

How do you know what you read has more insight into the Switch and/or cloud gaming than a random Resetera thread?

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
The streaming is the future. I mean we now even has OS in the cloud. Streaming is just so convenient. No bound to a single place, play anywhere.

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
Mmm interesting, apparently Nintendo is encouraging third party developers to make cloud games

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this at all, but I just wanted to say that I initially read the title of this post as "a few grandmas" and was very confused for a moment.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Wait, they're selling egg nog already? I haven't seen it in stores at all yet. Normally it comes around mid-November or so. What brand was the soup?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's working from home Mon thru Fri....streaming can be great. But with the connection and slow down issues I have....I dont know if even 5 to 10 years from now it will be good enough for gaming.

And I'm only doing admin, office type work. Like I have to take my work off the network drive or deal with potentially losing work because I didn't hit save enough, thats how flaky the network drive is. We are connected to our job remotely...and the network drive is like an extra remote layer. So even taking it off the network drive its still under a remote connection.

Had this same issue at my previous job, and that was off a company/corporate/government network. It was alot better, but there were still issues.

I cant see home networks becoming as robust as company/corporate//government networks in 5 to 10 years, or if it does its gonna cost alot more than it does now.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, streaming is a viable option going forward. There is a reason why companies are dumping billions into it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Sorry, what's the source? Is this third-hand? "A few game devs on Discord" could be literally anyone.

How do you know what you read has more insight into the Switch and/or cloud gaming than a random Resetera thread?

Yeah, this whole topic is odd, had something of a hard time following where all this information comes from. "Game devs" in a Discord. Okay, I guess.

Mmm interesting, apparently Nintendo is encouraging third party developers to make cloud games

Not sure if that's really pushing third parties in general to do cloud games as much as them recognizing that a lot of ports aren't feasible and trying to get devs they know won't put in that work (like Square) to do it that way. Not sure if it's quite the same thing.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I live in a city that is hub to a bunch of transatlantic internet cables, I thought streaming would be the future for me but after trying Xbox Cloud Gaming for a few hours I'm conviced consoles (and offline gaming) will still be around for 20 more years minimum.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
assuming a streaming-only future requires an assumption that the players that make the biggest console/PC games successful will want to play them on other devices. this is shown time and time again to not be the case except in those instances where the game is also made with mobile in mind…but in those cases it's still running native.(fortnite is a great example, I think everyone would've assumed before the trial that the majority of their cash flow was via mobile, not PS.)

we are 15-20 years away at minimum from, for example, the Warzone player base being totally okay with just using controllers on their phones or running a client on a smart tv, if ever.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
yo

his palms are eggy, knees cheese, fall he's ready
broccoli on his sweater already, ramen empty
he's got a banana, autumn already

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a stable, fast, and cheap Internet connection needs to come first before everything is based on cloud games. The people in these conversations often forget that underdeveloped countries are far from having something like that. It'll definitely take more than five years.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I think a stable, fast, and cheap Internet connection needs to come first before everything is based on cloud games. The people in these conversations often forget that underdeveloped countries are far from having something like that. It'll definitely take more than five years.
not even just underdeveloped countries, there are plenty of places in the US that don't have this! and folks who invest in a better internet experience are, to no surprise, people who can afford to and choose to invest in gaming hardware.

Jun 2, 2019
Please, don't.

Everything being streamed/cloud based is how you make me lose interest. For example, I wanted KH on Switch, but now I won't buy it since it is cloud only.

I want physical games and consoles. I want to own my things.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
game devs have been predicting games will be mainstream streaming for about 10 years now. Its made baby steps but until there is global, free unlimited high bandwidth internet access for all people accessible pretty much anywhere its still gonna be on the lower ratio.

Global universal internet will happen this century, its not really a question of why but when. Gaming and entertainment will be the driving factors to drive it into every persons hands.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Well they don't care about SA or places that there are data caps I guess lol...

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Games that are streaming only but otherwise could be single player preserved and archived experiences might as well not exist to me.

It's no bother to me if that's where the industry goes though. Enough games already out that are playable in perpetuity to be worrying about streaming.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Unless data caps are killed or a good low bandwidth video codec that doesn't look like complete shit with games comes out no streaming won't become the default.
Agreed, and what an odd thread.
Bear in mind that games are now in 4k, and eventually will be in 8k further down the line, how is that going to be streamable for everyone?
For those who wouldn't be able to, would they want to give up playing ultra resolution games for some potentially artifacted, laggy version in a lower res instead?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

This is going to be a very specific type of game.
As it stands right now, you either don't get a port of a new game on the Switch because the machine literally can't handle it or you get the old school Nintendo handheld backport version(like FIFA for example). Control, Hitman and a couple of others have solved this problem by running it on the cloud.
We've now moved onto Next generation hardware and the Switch is going to get even less. If Nintendo are encouraging anything , it's trying to get things like the latest Far Cry or Battlefield game on to the Switch, at least as an option.
All the obstacles that people mention about image quality or data caps all all irrelevant if it means a Switch owner is not even given any option in the first place.

If this is what devs are seeing (which is more likely coming from the companies that provides the cloud service and framework for switch) then it may be an indication that Nintendo aren't planning on a machine that closes the gap between the PS5 and the SX in the immediate future.

Oct 27, 2017
I want a recipe for that soup, sounds delish.

Also, a streaming only future sounds terrible. I want to own my physical consoles and games, and not just stream everything from the cloud.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm still surprised there's no cloud version of FFXIV, I played a Destiny 2 on Stadia for about a week with a friend, I decided to try on a whim and I was in in 2 minutes creating a character. When I invited my friend we were playing together in less than 10 minutes after I told him about what Stadia was.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Streaming won't replace dedicated devices. It will be an alternative for more casual people that want to play Halo or Uncharted but not spending 500-600 to do it.

Even Valve will release their own device.

Oct 27, 2017
Steaming services are just kind of like a beta service and will be for a long long time. Physical hardware options are not going anywhere. It's kind of funny with these companies rumors going all streaming talk is similar to the newer phone gaming market taking over consoles a decade ago.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the obstacles that people mention about image quality or data caps all all irrelevant if it means a Switch owner is not even given any option in the first place.
until streaming because a desirable service (or the quality of internet is at the point where 99% can play without issue), I can't see stream as far off from "no option". "better than nothing" isn't always a good thing

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Why have a streamed version of the game when you can just play it on PC, or PlayStation/XBOX?
Why buy a worse version of the game on the Switch when about any reasonably PC made in the last 5 years or the previous generation consoles can provide a much better experience?

A cloud version of the game ruins the entire point of the Switch - the fact you can play it on the train.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
Well if that's the future of gaming I won't be a part of it… Do they realise that a lot people don't have access to high bandwidth? I live in the country side with a terrible internet, I buy 90% of my games physical because : resell value and I don't have to wait a week before playing my game because it's downloading so bad and I can't do anything on the computer while it's downloading.

Also hate the idea that at any point the infrastructure can go offline (it did with the Quest with face book down last week) and means I can't play my games. Let's not even talk about how my internet just randomly stop working for hours sometimes because country side.

Streaming may be 50% of gaming, but even then, I don't think it will happen in the next 10 years, may be 15 or 20. I'd love to see the sales numbers for cloud version games on Switch, can't believe it sold much, we saw how well cloud gaming sold with Stadia…

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
These conversations and predictions always seem to ignore the absolutely dire state of net infrastructure in the US, and the looming threat of metered internet from ISPs who have been falling all over themselves for years to eliminate unlimited service.

Personally, I will be dragged kicking and screaming into an all-streaming future for gaming.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
until streaming because a desirable service (or the quality of internet is at the point where 99% can play without issue), I can't see stream as far off from "no option". "better than nothing" isn't always a good thing

You would literally never play a game than have to play it via streaming on your undepowered device?
Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reviews of the steaming games on Switch say you are missing out on great games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would literally never play a game than have to play it via streaming on your undepowered device?
Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reviews of the steaming games on Switch say you are missing out on great games.
we just had a whole thread of people doing that. when I have better options, yes. if my infrastructure can't handle it, yes. if it conflicts with my preferred method of play, absolutely yes