• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: This I think is a case of a game people built up in their heads for so long that whatever it does different is seen as extraneous, I find some of the criticisms it gets almost unfair. To me it was a great game and got me started into enjoying Final Fantasy as a whole.

Final Fantasy 13: It's one of those games where even the mention of it is enough to start a ton of posts with the pavlovian response of hating it, really sus if i'm being honest.
The game itself is really fun if a bit too melodramatic and silly.

Kingdom Hearts III: This game was simply magical to me, one of those moments when I just beat it and was super stoked to have played it and then saw some of the comments online was really rough. Again seems like one of those games that people delight on hating on and they have to tell you why you're wrong for liking it and it just pushed me away from ever wanting to talk about it online.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing single player amazing multiplayer. I haven't enjoyed a third person shooter this much since. My only issue with the multiplayer is that they split the playerbase between lock on and free aim. Should have only been free aim. Was especially irritating because lock on had more players.

Agreed. I think they should've trusted the playerbase on consoles to handle Free Aim. Props to them for making pistols the best weapon though.

Single player was great too, but it was let down a little by some atrocious loading times (covered by a few unskippable cutscenes) and far too high bullet-time depletion rates on the higher difficulties.

I really liked the new rhythm they introduced to the gameplay (activate bullet-time -> death dance -> cover to re-up meter/reload/reassess -> repeat) but I'd have preferred if they cribbed a little more from Max Payne 2 (probably my GOAT); that game threw meter at you and rewarded performance with even slower levels of bullet-time.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - I don't think I'm the only one who enjoyed the series on Resetera, but I feel like we're in the minority. Personally, the game has my ideal 3D look for the series and I was gutted to see that the DPPt remakes aren't using the same look–still, really hoping that they give us a "Let's Go Johto" game sometime. The cartoon-y look really worked so well. I also was initially turned off by wild battles being changed to "Pokemon Go" style catching when the game was revealed, but it ended up being pretty enjoyable actually. I've replayed RGB a million times and I feel like this was one of my fav play throughs. :)

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More on the lukewarm side but Granblue Fantasy Versus. Threads about character announcements don't get much traction here. I get it, though. No rollback and the game (& DLC) is pretty overpriced.

Still wish it was more popular. Game is great.
ArcSys hasn't missed in a long while, imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely The Wonderful 101.
One of my favorite games, and an absolutely amazing action game. However, a lot of people here are either harsh on it or don't care for it.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: This I think is a case of a game people built up in their heads for so long that whatever it does different is seen as extraneous, I find some of the criticisms it gets almost unfair. To me it was a great game and got me started into enjoying Final Fantasy as a whole.
I haven't read a lot of recent threads, but overall I get the vibe that most people here are positive about Remake outside of a couple very loud individuals and other people specifically upset about the ending.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
I would assume Era is lukewarm on Star Wars Superemcy/Rebellion (those who have even played it) - most reviewers were back in the day. And it's understandable because ship combat was a mess (so I always used the auto resolve option). But the diplomacy/resource management side is super fun.

7qjnLxC.jpg

Palps bitching at me that it was my fault his diplomacy mission failed was always hilarious

I was thinking about this game the other day. Couldn't remember the name of it but I remembered it being more of a 4X style game although Wikipedia lists is as an RTS. Either way I remember loving it when it released.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this game the other day. Couldn't remember the name of it but I remembered it being more of a 4X style game although Wikipedia lists is as an RTS. Either way I remember loving it when it released.

Wiki is wrong imo, this is waaay closer to grand strategy then rts. Ship combat is the only RTS element, and it's not necessarily a large part of the game (you don't even have to do it as you can auto-resolve combat based on fleet strengths).

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I haven't read a lot of recent threads, but overall I get the vibe that most people here are positive about Remake outside of a couple very loud individuals and other people specifically upset about the ending.
It's just one of those games that people will pop out of nowhere to let you now how much they dislike that gets really grating on any topic.
But yeah maybe it's more generally well regarded here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Love all of these to varying degrees.

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon - Thought this game did an admirable job of shifting to 3D while retaining the spirit of the first two games.
Escape from Monkey Island - Monkey Kombat sucks. Mostly everything else is great.
DmC
Prince of Persia (2008)
Jak 2 - Wonky checkpoints aside, one of Naughty Dog's best games. Folks greatly exaggerate its edginess.
Watch Dogs - Top notch stealth and gunplay mechanics, especially for a sandbox game. I think a lot of people made up their mind about this game before it had even come out.
Silent Hill: Downpour (and Shattered Memories? No idea what the consensus is on that game these days.)
Sonic Adventure - I got a Dreamcast for Christmas. This was one of the three games that was gifted with it. It captivated me from the get go and nothing you say can ever make me change my mind on it.
L.A. Noire - For my money, a modern masterpiece. Does go on a bit too long though.

I was thinking of mentioning The Last Guardian and Detroit: Become Human, but then I remembered that these games placed pretty high in their respective GOTY threads. To the point where some members complained. So I guess they don't count.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I think FFXV is one of the best games in the franchise and a top 10 game from the PS4/XB1 gen. 🤷‍♂️

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From the top of my head :

Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition
The Order : 1886
Ryse : Son of Rome
Assassin's Creed Unity
L.A. Noire
Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Avengers (don't really love it, but the campaign is pretty good)
Prince of Persia 2008

Reading this thread I discover that Era isn't fond of Alpha Protocol ? It's a fantastic game.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest is one of my favorite Castlevanias. My favorite NES one for sure.

It's hard, the translations make no sense, but I love it.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Bionic Commando 2009 is one of the very best action games of the PS360 era, reduced to a meme due to its dreadful story. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic, and so are the encounters and most of the level design.

Would love a 4k 60fps port or boosted BC version.

My man! Great game outside the story and those instant(ish) death walls that punish you for going outside the intended pahtway.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Code Vein mainly because while yeah, it is a subpar soulslike, the overall vampire premise + artstyle + that awesome character creator make it pretty fun to me. The level design definitely sucks but the class/skills system is super fun to tinker with

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Modern Assassins Creed games
Dragon Age Inquisition
Star Ocean: Til the End of Tme

I greatly enjoyed all 3 of these and am aware of their faults, but as overall experiences I adore them. I do have a tolerance for "bloat" though and don't mind grinding in games I like otherwise so that probably helps.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Assassin's Creed - ALL OF THEM (except the original)

I have really enjoyed every single one. Even 3.

I look forward to the new one so much.

Its the only game I buy day one

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Andromeda is fun to play, unlike ME1

Mario Sunshine is a blast.

Dark Souls 2 is great.

My holy Trinity.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Quantum Break.

Basically a sci-fi super hero game and honestly still one of the best looking last gen games.. I'm still perplexed by the reception that game got.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Basically any of my favorite battle royales. I really fell in love with the genre ever since 2018 when I got into Fortnite. This list doesn't even have half the battle royales I've played. There's been a lot of mediocre or just downright bad ones, especially on mobile. Just browsing ERA and you wouldn't even know of the existence of one of the biggest genres alive today. My favorites in no particular order

Fortnite: Battle Royale
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Hyper Scape
Apex Legends
Call of Duty: Warzone
Darwin Project
Population: One
Spellbreak
Realm Royale
Super Animal Royale
Fall Guys (if you want to count this as a BR)

Also in general VR games overall. It just seems there are very many lukewarm responses I see on gaming forums regarding VR when it's the complete opposite for me. VR has been a mind-blowing experience for me. I'm actually baffled at how many people are not equally totally on board with VR.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I mean I ended up fucking loving Death Stranding and I've never seen a game get belittled and flat-out hated like DS on ERA pre-release and when it first came out.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what the consensus is about Far Cry Primal around here, but i absolutely love that game.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
I think Days Gone is one of Sony's best games from last gen.

Days Gone is what I came in here to post. The open world was more fun than it's given credit for, including the bike, and I'm simply gutted that we likely will never see the freaked hordes expanded upon. I would have loved a sequel where every horde was the size of the sawmill horde or bigger.

Final Fantasy XV

I do hate how crucial plot points and character arcs are cut off into post game DLC scenarios, but other than that I think it's a solid 8.5/10 game. Oh and Luna being a nothing character.

Also this one for me. It's far from perfect, there's a ton of missing plot points even with the DLCs, but given it's tortured development cycle I think the game has no right to be as good as it is. I will always give huge props to Hajime Tabata for taking over that project and getting out a solid product in just a few years time.

Bioshock Infinite. One of the best games I've ever played. I was shocked to see how much hate it got here.

This one has had some weird revisionist history where suddenly people decided it was a bad game after previously being a 10/10. I still love it and will always stand by it.