• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the original 7 has gotten the most consistently good redesigns?

• Liu Kang

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Raiden

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Sonya

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Johnny

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Sub-Zero

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Kano

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Really? Like, I wasn't around for it, but the version I always hear is that the fans started to leave with MK3 in part because the influence of American-made genre fiction in that game made it more apparent just how silly it all was.
Killer Instinct sucked up all the oxygen in the NA arcade scene around that time, and Tekken got people hooked too. Street Fighter Alpha and the KOF series were also hot, and Virtua Fighter had a strong following, so there was a ton of competition in arcade fighting scene.

But they kept making more MK games, and kept piling on the cheesecake, so there had to have been enough of an audience who enjoyed that. But yeah, I personally never played any MK game beyond 3.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Honestly, I never really had any serious issue with the series' "Westernization" from MK3 onward. We had plenty of Eastern-themed fighting games in the 90s, so Tobias playing to more of his strengths was nice. Really, I'd say MK3 is kind of the outlier; MK4 would pivot back to the dark fantasy and strip away most of the more overt elements of MK3's aesthetic, and most of the games afterward would generally use MKII as a foundation even if some entries (like MKX) trended more towards the "Western" look than others.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, I would be disappointed if the MK3 aesthetic continued for the rest of the series but as a one off its cool

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I like the mk1 and 2 designs. Really liked the simplistic take of the original. I think the newer games look like an over designed mess. Sometimes less is more

Mortal Kombat: Deception post (now with Meat & Onaga)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
SentosEdge Good catch on Quan Chi's origins.

r98vap5k.png
gosa3h2h.jpg

We're back to talk about the second game of the Dragon King trilogy, and the first one to actually feature the Dragon King (Onaga, as seen above in the two cover images). Mortal Kombat: Deception released in the Fall of 2004 and continued its predecessor's work of reinterpreting the old guard in the 3D space while taking the old palette swaps further away from their recolor origins. This game is notable for its somewhat unusual playable roster. Gone are the usual standbys like Sonya, Johnny, Kung Lao, and (initially) Jax and Kitana. In their place are eight new kharacters and a slew of returning ones who hadn't seen the light of day in years. Let's see how they fared.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1H3PLzg0Cw

Liu Kang...
rluje6r5.jpg
ou9bs2zd.png

This is certainly an unusual turn of events. I've long held that Mortal Kombat is like a comic book, and there's nothing more comic booky than characters going through random changes that are as much plot-driven as they are a nifty excuse for the artists to stretch their talents. And that is how we wind up with zombie Liu Kang, a reanimated version of our series protagonist. Dark Raiden (we'll get to that soon) opts to bypass the Elder Gods and violate the laws of nature by resurrecting his chosen champion himself, and as such he comes back wrong. Everyone's favorite Bruce Lee clone is now sporting a grayish pallor and some wicked chains...and surprisingly not much else is different. It's MK3 Liu Kang with messier hair. Makes sense, he's effectively lumbering about in the same clothes he died in (which does raise the question of whether he was actually entombed in the same get-up as when Shang Tsung snapped his neck). It is interesting that Midway didn't feel much impetus to significantly change his outfit while the company's artists were going to town with everyone else's looks. A testament to the strength of his earlier redesigns, or subtle hints that the MK team was losing interest in its old poster boy? That's for you to decide.

And here's his alternate kostume for comparison's sake:
gtb2e653.png

It's MK3 Liu Kang with messier hair...and no rotting flesh.

(Dark) Raiden...
mkda-render455ijfy.jpg
2zlxtxml.jpg
as6wpwts.png

I told you we'd get to this soon. After the arrival of Onaga and the combined attacks of Raiden, Shang Tsung, and Quan Chi failing, the God of Thunder (initially seen in Deception as represented by the middle picture above) concentrated his remaining energies into one desperate attack that destroyed him and Shang Tsung. Raiden reforms himself in Earthrealm shortly thereafter, but his resurrection process was tainted by Onaga's presence, awakening a resentment for the very mortals he was supposed to protect and thus creating Dark Raiden. This is Raiden but as a ruthless enforcer, and his more hardline stance is reflected in his more militarized appearance. I like Dark Raiden as a visual concept if nothing else, the black attire serves as a nice contrast to his usual white. Something I didn't notice until recently was just how similar the Dark Raiden outfit is to his Deadly Alliance outfit; The outer fabric even retains the quilted pattern and gold trim. The tattered cape and red eyes are obvious visual shorthand for an evil counterpart, but they work. This won't be the last time we see Dark Raiden, which means we get to compare two versions of the kharacter from here on out.

Scorpion...
mkda-render13lkk1c.jpg
ff254yle.png

It took twelve years, but our former Earthrealm ninja/spectre/champion of the Elder Gods finally got sleeves. Okay, they're armored shoulder pads, but they kind of look like sleeves. Scorpion's basically taken his more armored appearance from Deadly Alliance and ran with it, adding the aforementioned shoulder pads, a bulkier chestpiece, and two extraneous belts into the mix to make the MK equivalent of Samurai Shodown's Hanzo Hattori. His yellow also looks more gold this time around; overall, he's almost got a fitting design for a hellspawn knight in the service of the Elder Gods. As over-the-top as it looks to some people, I dig this design. The black and gold complement each other well and I like the new mask with the silver cross-stitching.

Sub-Zero...
mkda-render30j0kqa.jpg
bjuemfg3.jpg

This is good. No, this is cool. After burying his not-quite-dead disciple Frost, Kuai Liang discovers the location of his Cryomancer ancestors' ancient armor and dons it before Kenshi calls him to do battle with the reawakened Onaga. What is there to say about the Sub-Shredder kostume? You either love it or you hate it, and I love it. I love the belt ornament and shoulder pads, the helmet, the gratuitous fur lining around the collar. It's a fancy-schmancy suit of armor and it owns it. I'd almost argue it's not armored enough, because the tunic leaves Sub-Zero's sides completely exposed. But I can't hate this design. It conveys an ice "ninja" going to war and I adore it for that.

Jade...
8nriomgi.gif
seu7iw3u.png

After nearly a decade's absence, Kitana's comrade-in-arms returns, and begins her journey of stepping out of Kitana's wardrobe. I'm not really sure what this new design is specifically supposed to convey in-universe. It's not particularly armored like Scorpion or Sub-Zero's new kostumes. It's not specifically evoking older designs like Kitana's Deadly Alliance default did. It's just what we can only presume is casual Edenian fashion. Not that the lady ninjas' kostumes were ever particularly believable as professional assassins' wear, but this looks more like the garb you'd expect of a palace dancer than a trained bodyguard of the princess. And yet I'm not really fussed about it? It's literally just a bikini and a loincloth, but I don't see it as an eyesore like Sonya's designs from this era can be. Maybe it's just the green, black, and gold working together rather deftly (the headband and braids are a nice addition as well). Maybe I'm just impressed with the relative restraint shown when I know they can go, have gone, and will be going much further in sexualizing outfits in this series. I like it. Don't know if anyone other than Jade can pull off the sultry MMO advertisement woman look, but it's something she can claim for her own I suppose.

Mileena...
pejp7.gif
x6ils8pk.png

Talking about Jade and Mileena back to back feels like a cosmic joke I played on myself. If Jade's new design showed some relative restraint, then Mileena's opted to embrace the subtly of a brick to the groin. It's technically more fabric than Jade's kostume, and yet it looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. It really does look like a recolored version of the MK Gold kostume with sleeves added and the sash taken away. I do think the idea to go with black as the main color this time around was an inspired choice; the large sleeves and breechcloth -- yes, that's a word I just learned -- certainly help in giving the design a better silhouette as well. While I appreciate the torso strap for providing an answer as to how her outfit doesn't completely come apart, it does kind of add more visual noise to the design, which feels like it has too much and not enough going on at the same time. Really, I think this design is saved by the somehow see-through veil, completing the whole Arabian Nights-esque assassin look with fang patterning at the top. This kostume would arguably become Mileena's most famous one, influencing later designs in Shaolin Monks, MK9, and MKX. It's certainly when the devs really went whole-hog on the "beautiful body, monstrous mouth" thing that was already present in her earlier designs. I've got my caveats with this design, but I like some of the ideas it was going for.

Baraka...
pdkjc.gif
72eifszo.png

Looking at Baraka here, he actually looks like a composite of his MKII and MK Gold designs. Metallic loincloth and "vest" from the former, red pants and metallic boots from the latter. It works. In fact, this might actually be my favorite Baraka design. He's graduated to a metallic chestpiece with straps that appear to be made from bone. It's an interesting juxtaposition that works for a high-ranking fantasy nomad like Baraka.

Noob-Smoke...
njjbz.gif
68t6b7ui.gif
txnbrdth.png

Yeah, two for the price of one. In Deception, Noob Saibot finds the deactivated Cyber Smoke in Shao Kahn's dungeons and rewires him to serve as his partner, which means they're a package deal. Keeping in line with the other palette swaps, they've been given entirely unique designs for the first time ever, and I'd say they're both pretty solid if a bit unusual. More so for Noob, who's looking a bit more human than one would expect. His flesh is still kind of gray here, I'm just used to it being jet black. The kostume itself is nice, the silver ornaments meshing well with the black suit, though I'd argue his alternate kostume which harkens back to klassic Noob makes it look even better. As for Smoke, he's abandoned his BMX gear but still kept shades of blue on his exterior armor, which is nice. His body itself is a bit lankier than the other cyborgs which I find a bit odd. It's like Midway wanted to convey years of imprisonment and emaciation on a robot who probably doesn't need to eat. Unlike Cyrax and Sektor now, his "locs" plug into the back of his body, which is interesting if nothing else. His head's general shape (now with actual glowing eyes!) is otherwise fairly reminiscent of the MK3 Cyber Lin Kuei, though with more liberties taken for its design than was the case for Cyrax and Sektor's. Pairing the two less colorful Lin Kuei members does serve to demonstrate how well their darker colors complement each other. Good designs all around, though I would've personally swapped Noob's default and alternate around.

Nightwolf...
xdcj5trl.gif
uf7cplbl.png

After several games' absence, Nightwolf returns. His general design ethos hasn't seen much change, the red/blue/black color scheme is maintained and the general Native American warrior trappings are kept (I'm kind of iffy on the facial markings, to be frank). It's mostly a bunch of minor but welcome adjustments for him. Better pants and his vest going from black to a brighter red. The blue and black lining on said vest is also a nice addition. Nightwolf is always hard for me to judge properly. There are design elements here that I like even if many are very stereotypical. Though of all the pre-Matoka retcon default Nightwolf designs, this is probably the one I find to be the most aesthetically interesting I suppose.

Kabal...
jk9rwuya.gif
gln876n8.png

It's interesting to see the devs revisit ideas when hardware allows them to. Back during the production period for MK3, Midway's art team made sketches of the on-again, off-again Black Dragon member with a longcoat and an electronic backpack (possibly to work in conjunction with his respirator), two design elements that were discarded due to the limitations of the sprites. Now, Kabal gets to don them freely, wearing a coat that also reminds me of his Red Dragon rival -- and one-time owner of his hookswords -- Mavado. Updated silhouette aside, this is largely Kabal, outback bounty hunter Darth Vader clone that he is. The green/black/brown color scheme is maintained to great effect and his boots and kneepads have been updated with metal plating. If anything, my only real gripe with this design is that the mask looks weirder than usual now. His alternate kostume I think provides a better translation of the original mask in 3D.

Sindel...
xb26lxem.gif
aorek6qp.png

The Queen of Edenia returns, this time fighting for the side of good. Her design has largely kept its general outline of a black and purple one-piece with long boots, with some gold lining and opera gloves thrown into the mix. It's like an armored version of one of Kitana's designs. The most notable thing about this Sindel is her hair being shorter and less like Elvira's. This outfit's basically a logical facelift of her original design while also serving as a dry run for her MK9 look, though I'd say Deception did the modernization better.

Ermac...
mphvvmzi.gif
2yd8cwer.png

The honorary ascended rumor of the franchise finally gets a unique design that he can call his own by moving away from the red Scorpion look to a mummy-sorcerer motif that would kast the die for many of his subsequent looks. It's a striking retool and one that I think paid off. The black wrappings around his head give him a distinct appearance while still honoring his roots as a palette swap, and his red and black wizard's robes evoke a similar silhouette to his UMK3 appearance while also serving as a complement to his new BFF Kenshi's attire. The metallic finish on his boots with the green gems ornamenting them is also great. This design just works and helped one of the numerous ninjas in the series find their voice.

Tanya...
siezn2mz.png
f85w958w.png

And now we get to talk about Kitana's one-time replacement from MK4. Tanya is the daughter of an Edenian ambassador and decided that instead of following in her daddy's footsteps she would throw her lot in with Shinnok, making herself an enemy to Kitana and Jade for life as a result. After missing Deadly Alliance, she's back and with a few tweaks as well. She's supplemented her leotard (still rocking the neat black patterning) with corset strings and a sarong around the waist, along with new gloves and boots with slightly different patterning. She's also gotten the same white demon eyes that Mileena had in her last game appearance. It's a lateral design change, but one that gives her a bit more of a unique voice.

Kenshi...
24tfqnes.jpg
ml8jnlqb.png

Probably the most popular of Deadly Alliance's newcomers, Kenshi here has gotten a makeover. He's ditched his old bodysuit for a sleeveless leathered look (though it seems he's still wearing his sash underneath the vest), with his black boots replaced with red ones to make up for the loss of red up top. The padded gloves are cool I must admit, though I do think something was lost in abandoning the relative simplicity of his original kostume (crotch patch aside, I will never escape that design trope). It's not a bad redesign, though, and I think the leather look of it would fit rather well with the kharacters of Mortal Kombat 11 and its fabric rendering style.

Li Mei...
8wy4nwxm.jpg
zwpfisgo.png

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what happened here. During the events of Deadly Alliance, plucky Outworld resident Li Mei was captured by Shang Tsung's forces to have her soul extracted and placed in the mummified bodies of one of the Dragon King's soldiers. Bo' Rai Cho intervened and was able to save Li Mei's soul, though the process left her a bit corrupted afterward. It also made her want to dress like a pirate swimsuit model for some reason. I don't think Li Mei's original design was the greatest thing ever, but it felt a bit less generic (even if the use of four shades of purple was maybe pushing it). I like the texture of her new design's "armor" and the retaining of the sash, but this doesn't really say anything about her. The alt kostume (which is a full suit of purple and silver armor) probably would've worked better to convey her darker personality.

Bo' Rai Cho...
k2ukspse.jpg
5xvipe37.png

Despite the events of Deadly Alliance and Deception taking place effectively back-to-back, Bo' Rai Cho's beard has grown out immensely. Honestly, I prefer it bushier. As for the outfit itself, the designers opted to give him fur lining across his coat and emphasize burgundy over his original green. It's fine, though I'd argue his original drunken master design did more with less by virtue of being less busy. The golden chestpiece and new pants are good, though.

EDIT:

Onaga...

tqqgyj5v.gif
xuqo8f53.jpg

I only realized less than a day ago that Onaga did in fact make an appearance of sorts in Deadly Alliance as seen in the center-right of a still from Raiden's ending on the left, so now I'm adding him to this post. Though you can barely make out much of it due to the nature of him appearing as one of those patented not-quite-hallucinatory horizon apparitions, his design definitely went through some overhauling in the interim. The horns on the head definitely became more prominent, and I can definitely make out the shoulder pads more easily.

Several months after Deception's initial launch, a port on the GameCube was released, featuring two additional kharacters:

Goro...
d0kx6.gif
ozgnqxw4.png

It's Goro, with his original sash restored and some new gold bracelets.

Shao Kahn...
wijas.png
bc3ni6u6.png

For the first time ever, Shao Kahn finally gets to wear his cape in-game, and it. Is. Glorious. He's also got some armored hip guards to create a sort of skirt as well as a new loincloth and some open-toed boots. A good update to his original design. Also, don't let the render fool you, his armor's still red in-game.

And here's what he looked like in Konquest Mode:
6k7vz2zl.png

It's OG Shao Kahn in 3D.

EDIT: Speaking of Konquest cameos, let's talk about...

Meat...
75psjco7.jpg
4pyt4v4w.png

Meat was among several veteran kombatants who made non-playable appearances in Deception's Konquest Mode. I'm only noting him here and not the rest because he actually got some notable design changes in the jump to the Dragon King trilogy. His bloodied skeleton body now looks darker, kind of like dry-rubbed steak as macabre as that is to say. Also, for the first and final time, he has no eyes whatsoever. For the purposes of this thread, let's just pretend body parts are accessories.

And I'd be remiss to not mention Kitana as seen in various kharacter endings. She was originally planned for the console versions before being swapped out for Jade.
rc94yh3g.png

Her intended design was basically repurposed for Mileena's default, and I'd say that Mileena wears it better.

And that's it for the console versions of Deception. Roughly two years after its initial release (and shortly after the release of its sequel Mortal Kombat: Armageddon), a port on the PlayStation Portable would see release and feature four additional kharacters, imported straight from Deadly Alliance while trying to weave narrative ties between Deception and Armageddon through their arcade endings.

Mortal Kombat: Unchained

Kitana...

mkda-render4431jag.jpg
sjfkgar4.jpg

Since she missed the boat on the console releases, that means she also missed the boat on getting a new kharacter model and outfit. She's kept her Deadly Alliance design, and I have no problems with that. It is worth noting that much like in Deadly Alliance, her ending in Unchained puts her in her purple alternate outfit.

Jax...
mkda-render425rkz6.jpg
5gjfzlpz.jpg

He's exactly the same.

Frost...
5nbee56z.jpg
vohb6sxn.png
She also kept her DA design, but I never got to talk about it before now. It's reminiscent of Sub-Zero's outfit from MKII but with a more leathery padding and a sash around the right leg. It's simple but effective and it's about what I'd expect a female member of the Lin Kuei to wear circa MKII.

Blaze...
mkda-render54nnkah.jpg
is7h6bb8.png

And finally, we have Blaze. Still on fire, still chained by fashion. In his arcade ending, he begins to transform into his lava golem form seen in Armageddon, but to avoid later redundancy I'll hold off on talking about that design.

And that's about it. I'd say most of the redesigns for returning kharacters are solid, with the caveat that the sexualization really does start to ramp up here. Interestingly enough, I'd say the strongest retools came for fighters who never had unique designs of their own before this, Ermac in particular. The benefits of not really having a pre-existing individualized design template that people would give you grief over straying away from, I suppose. Next time, we will not talk about Armageddon and instead take a detour to the last major spin-off title in the franchise, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. And since that game harkens back so closely to the earlier parts of the timeline, I'll be using the 2D games' sprites for the "Before" side of my comparisons. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Deception has some great one off, weird outfits. Sub-Zero's and Mileena's being stand outs. I also really like the bald Sub-Zero alternate.

also unrelated to kostumes the stages are great too. Yin Yang Island is so rad.

Deadly Alliance was a good step forward for the series, kind of refreshing a lot of classic characters and outfits, and then Deception was the perfect sequel to that, bringing back so many characters I didn't expect to see. Nightwolf, Kabal, Sindel, Ermac. It's gotta be the boldest roster of the mainline titles.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Yes, the two games do feel quite complementary toward one another. It would've been interesting to see how Sonya, Johnny, Kung Lao, and the rest would've fared under Deception's more refined art style, but I'm happy lesser-known fighters got their chance to be back in the spotlight.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Deception has some great one off, weird outfits. Sub-Zero's and Mileena's being stand outs. I also really like the bald Sub-Zero alternate.

also unrelated to kostumes the stages are great too. Yin Yang Island is so rad.

Deadly Alliance was a good step forward for the series, kind of refreshing a lot of classic characters and outfits, and then Deception was the perfect sequel to that, bringing back so many characters I didn't expect to see. Nightwolf, Kabal, Sindel, Ermac. It's gotta be the boldest roster of the mainline titles.

Deception also had the excellent konquest mode and the glorious mini games: chess kombat and puzzle kombat. I love puzzle kombat.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Sub-Zero, Jade and Mileena's Deception costumes are among the best in the series.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Pairing the two less colorful Lin Kuei members does serve to demonstrate how well their darker colors complement each other. Good designs all around, though I would've personally swapped Noob's default and alternate around.
It's pretty clear that it was another case of the Default and Alternate outfits being switched at some point in development, as their ending has them in their alt outfits.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Probably. I'd say they made the "right" decision with Smoke but should've stuck with Noob Saibot's more traditional look.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of human skin Noob Saibot, but I love his MK4 look the most I think

Also it's interesting that he was a default selectable character in the earliest prerelease build of MK4 before he got replaced by Reiko
mk4-dev03.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

Also it's interesting that he was a default selectable character in the earliest prerelease build of MK4 before he got replaced by Reiko
mk4-dev03.jpg
Man, so much nostalgia with these screens. I was working my first job that summer and had MK4's release marked on my calendar. Reading all the info about this (and Tekken 3) in all of the gaming mags was such a highlight to those times.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Hey, can a mod amend my thread's title to provide a spoiler warning? I realize I've been dropping plot details willy-nilly and while many of the games in question are old, I'd prefer to give advance courtesy, especially as we approach more contemporary titles.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017

mk4-dev03.jpg

Huh, I never knew this. I wonder why they made the change, especially considering Reiko (who I like very much in MK4) doesn't look nearly as cool. Until, of course, you get to his ending cutscene, haha. Still wish they'd done something with that.

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent thread and I will continue to follow.

I was into MK so much during the MK1-UMK3 era. It hit at just the right time before the internet became mainstream that the social nature of arcade releases and game discussion made the series much more mysterious (especially all the rumors, secrets, and even little things like those bootleg move lists people used to photocopy and sell). Yet after UMK3, I just stopped following it. I also stopped going to arcades at that point. I still kept up with Street Fighter (my absolute favorite fighting series) through consoles despite the arcade decline but never kept up with MK. Perhaps it really was that social aspect that made MK so interesting for me.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks post (now with Blaze & Hornbuckle)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
546afpd6.jpg

And so we have reached the fan favorite spin-off, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Released in September of 2005, it served as a non-canonical retelling of the events of Mortal Kombat II featuring the exploits of Liu Kang and Kung Lao, the titular Shaolin Monks. As the game was harkening back to the series' earlier days, the designers opted to revisit many of the 2D games' outfits while marrying them to the aesthetic evolution the kharacters had gone through in the decade-plus since MKII's release. As such, the kharacters are a bit of an aesthetic mishmash, neither as simple and "off the shelf" as their arcade counterparts nor as ornate as their Dragon King trilogy incarnations (usually). Let's get to it, shall we?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdKLTJXt5RU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52QuTj1mJI

Liu Kang...
zxvk7ix3.gif
9di84edo.jpg

There's something oddly cartoony about Shaolin Monks' promotional renders. I'm not sure if that was a deliberate choice or just a limitation of the hardware at the time, but it gives the game a unique look relative to the rest of the franchise and I wouldn't mind seeing it revisited. Anyways, Liu Kang here is largely a touched-up version of his MK3 look, retroactively backported to a game that actually starts off in the aftermath of MK1's events. The silver studs on his bracelets have become full-on spikes in this render, and a dragon pattern has been added to his pants to give them a bit more detail. A lateral but effective refresh.

Raiden...
zhdatm3k.gif
y3ddbmk8.jpg
6xgtvjoj.jpg

The God of Thunder has taken a design closer to MK4 than MKII, what with the black shoulder pads and specific folds of the outer tunic. Featured on the right is his in-game model, which adds gold trim to the aforementioned outer tunic (of which the loincloth is also notably shorter than it is in the official render. This won't be the last discrepancy between kharacters' promotional and in-game looks). Another decent reworking, and I like that the yellow symbol on the sleeves was retained in the redesign.

Sonya...
ogddectn.gif
ef5k89rv.jpg
zp9dn9im.jpg

Some kharacters got more faithful retools than others, but the art team opted to have later designs serve as the primary influence for Sonya in this game, which means visible thongs again. Joy. That aside, it's a good look. The camo pants give her the noticeable splash of green that she'd been missing since 2002 and I like that they kept a jacket for her (a jacket which completely changes length and color from render to in-game model). The headband is also a nice nod to her original looks.

Johnny Cage...
97i7wsdb.gif
q4abeey3.jpg
hygfah55.jpg

Much like Raiden, Johnny got some of his MK4 design flairs backported into his new-old design...at least in the promotional render. His in-game model forwent the white segmented stripes on the pants for two long blue stripes, adding some subtle tweaks to the arguably basic MKII look. There's not much else for me to say here. It's Johnny Cage in his 90s Bally Total Fitness glory.

Scorpion...
aydtm77e.gif
tamqypee.jpg
79wc9uq5.jpg

Now I've mused about the discrepancies between the renders and the actual in-game models multiple times already, but these probably take the cake. They're two completely different designs. The render kostume honestly looks like a dry-run for the MKvsDCU design while the actual kostume looks like a retooled UMK3 design, with the gauntlets and color scheme being the only things shared between them. For what it's worth, I think I prefer the in-game kostume simply due to lacking the studs on the tunic. Render Scorpion has the more interesting-looking mask due to the cool venting, though.

Sub-Zero(s)...
awc39q9u.gif
jd4789he.gif
chb92vmm.jpg

Based on my paltry knowledge of this game (I've read a Wiki synopsis and have viewed the awesome opening several times), Bi-Han and Kuai Liang both wear the same Lin Kuei attire during the story, so I'm comparing them both. Sub-Zero here has opted for a slightly more armored look than Scorpion, adorning his person with shoulder pads and his own vented mask. I like the look, it's a happy aesthetic medium between the designs of old and the more armored appearances the kast generally had in these years. The black stripes across the tunic also work in touching up the old design's monochromatism and (accidentally or otherwise) serve as a dual reference for Sub-Zero and Noob Saibot.

Reptile...
xs7j2w58.gif
hcdmecs9.jpg

Haha, you were probably expecting a human Reptile for this throwback game, weren't you?...Well, your assumptions were well-founded, human Reptile is the alternate look for the versus mode. While he's far more humanoid than he was during his turn in Deadly Alliance, Reptile here has also snatched a healthy deal of influence from his then-more contemporary looks, resulting in this quasi-hybrid of MKII and MK4 Reptile. The ninja outfit itself is aces, returning him to that acid green cloth he rocked way back in 1993. Admittedly, I'm not too fond of the head bandages for Reptile and the exposed mouth showing up again, though I'd say it's better handled here than in MK4. The gold trim does wonders for making sure the tunic is readable from a distance, instead of being at risk of blending into Reptile's scales (the shield-shaped kneepads are also cool). A decent kostume on a rather out-of-place Reptile.

Kano...
2xyrn36d.gif
ig5f3rwl.jpg

It really is just a touched-up MK1 Kano, with Trevor Goddard's likeness and the red light on the bandolier from MK3 applied (though only in the promotional render it seems). A fine reworking, though one I'm surprised is as conservative as it is.

Goro...
j8qamma9.gif
uekgpgil.jpg

It's Goro, gold bracelets from Deception retained.

Shang Tsung...
ejsrr7dy.gif
2peqsspg.jpg

2wqjdiyc.gif
vabw3ff7.jpg

Two for the price of one again. Both of Shang Tsung's designs in this game are rather faithful translations of his garb in the first two MK games, though with his old man robes taking more of a purple shade over their original blue (to say nothing of the more visible patterning across the hem of the inner robe. Young Shang Tsung's headwear is a bit more apparent in 3D, which is also nice.

Kitana...
kkevtcno.gif
6zo5ovlu.jpg
e5bt7jqe.jpg

It's a reworking of her MKII kostume with the one sexy ninja visual trope I'm surprised took so long to be used for a default outfit: mesh. It's a decent facelift to her admittedly basic original look, opting to add black highlights to the torso area and mask and swapping out her opera gloves for spandex bracelets. I also like the ribbon in her hair (honestly I really like her hair in-game in general, more unique than the UMK3-inspired top bun she has in the promo render seen above). It's interesting that she clearly has heels on in the promo render, but flat boots in-game. It's like Klassic (TM) Midway and Modern Midway were having fights over how to properly represent Kitana and they compromised.

Jade...
5aibvi23.gif
8cezwvs9.jpg

This might be my favorite of Jade's 2000s designs. It complements Kitana's new duds well while still allowing Jade a degree of uniqueness for herself. I'm very much a fan of the longer gloves and hair sticks, and even the gratuitous asymmetrical shoulder pad works well. It's interesting seeing how this is probably Jade's only post-90s outfit to not really feature gold in conjunction with her usual green and black, the role of prerequisite third color going to silver this time due to the aforementioned shoulder pad and...belt buckle? I'm not really sure why that's there. It looks like an absolute hindrance to any kind of free movement. I mean, the loincloth would probably trip her up too, but that at least goes well with the rest of her suit, the buckle just kind of sits there and I don't really know what to think of it. It's an odd duck at points, but I'd say this is a pretty solid reimagining of her MKII look.

Mileena...
whwzjrlj.gif
c9wf8lu4.jpg

Yep, I think her Deception design caught on. She's retained the veil (and the lack of...everything else) from her prior outing, now backported into this design for her secret boss fight. It's missing something by lacking the flowy sleeves, though I appreciate it for looking like less of a sensory assault. Don't have much to say here, it's Mileena achieving her "true" form in the klassic era.

Jax...
miwfghsh.gif
yi6gzatj.jpg

I appreciate the devs' commitment to the purple pants, I really do. I'm not exactly great at always describing why I like certain kostumes, but something about this one just flows nicely. The purple complements the black without attempting a hostile takeover like MK3 Jax's pants arguably suffered from, the gauntlets and straps keep the top half from looking naked in a game where Jax's bionic arms can't really happen yet, and the belt just kind of brings everything together in a way that loosely resembles MKII Jax's belt. I wouldn't be surprised if this design served as an inspiration for past Jax's get-up in Mortal Kombat 11.

Kung Lao...
84quzoi2.gif
drvnkex9.jpg

Alright, we can finally talk about the other Shaolin Monk. I mentioned a few days back that Kung Lao's alternate in Deadly Alliance (also his default in the GBA version!) would serve as the Rosetta Stone from which all other Kung Lao designs for the next decade would be derived, and this is why. The Shaolin Monks kostume, much like the DA alternate, served as retooled homages to Kung Lao's original outfit, opting to swap out the loose tunic for what appears to be a modified sleeveless changshan. However, the Shaolin Monks version of the outfit would forgo the bright diagonal sash and large tassels of Deadly Alliance's rendition in favor of a simple red sash around the waist. It's less ornate, but more faithful to the MKII original, right down to the color scheme. I gotta say, I dig the red shinguards he's got, gives him more red to offset the loss of the original tunic symbol.

Baraka...
7moonphe.gif
qf6hxn34.jpg

Baraka has not changed much. The most notable difference from MKII to Shaolin Monks comes from the removal of the red stripes on Baraka's pants to be supplemented with what appear to be red bindings. His shoes also go from white to black and the red trim around his gi has a hook pattern on both sides. A mostly lateral design shift.

Smoke...
7cn96w6a.gif
67fpqq6k.jpg

This kostume has so much black on it that I wouldn't be surprised if people mistook him for Noob Saibot. Like, this is a lot of black for the gray Lin Kuei. I like that he's got an ornamental headpiece similar to Sub-Shredder's from Deception, even if it's hard to see in the image I posted. It's a nice look overall, treating the gray like it's an ornamental silver was a unique choice if nothing else, and I like that his mask matches Sub-Zero's. It's a striking redesign and a solid first effort for human Smoke's first wholly individualized kostume...it just needs more gray.

Noob Saibot...
i97orv47.gif
jtzchh7z.jpg

And now for the last secret opponent of MKII. His model looks to be a close recolor, if not an outright recolor of Sub-Zero's model. Seeing as this was the first game released after Deception revealed that Noob Saibot and Sub-Zero Bi-Han are in fact one and the same, I suppose we can allow it under clever referencing instead of shameless asset reuse. His blue eyes are even retained here, which I appreciate. Sub-Zero's kostume works well in black, and it seems the devs agreed because Sub-Zero's alternate skin in the versus mode is just Noob Saibot with ice arms to reference Bi-Han.

Kintaro...
zm8q44ch.gif
5knq4att.jpg

Kintaro begins to finally show some signs of individuality and it's through the smallest of ways. His formerly red belt is now gray 🎉.

Shao Kahn...
vpptnane.gif
3aodxabg.jpg

Shao Kahn has also not changed too much from MKII or Deception, though based on his official render they somehow found a way to make him look even spikier than he was before. He is featured with his cape as seen in the render above, though his in-game model lacks it. I've got to say, there's something a bit odd about Shao Kahn's helmet. The horns/crest of the helmet have/has more of an organic look than usual to me. Like, the crest of his helmet in the 2D games I could reasonably believe was made out of metal even if the helmet itself is probably made from a skull. The crest on the Shaolin Monks helmet, though? All bone, probably from some Outworld rabbit.

Kabal...
jk9rwuya.gif
vjrvy3yn.jpg

Yes, kharacters outside of the scope of the first two games made appearances in Shaolin Monks, including a pre-injuries Kabal. He's largely just wearing a 3D version of his original outfit, sans mask. Without it, he kind of looks like Jarek.

Ermac...
kmc5572h.jpg
om5s5vza.jpg

Ermac appears as a secret boss in Shaolin Monks, and much like Mileena it seems that the devs enjoyed his Deception makeover so much they weaved it into this retelling of the earlier games. His kostume here is largely the Deception default but with added gold trim around the robes as well as modified gloves and boots. And I have no idea why, but the additional gold somehow makes me think of Jafar from Aladdin, which amuses me to no end. Ermac's new look worked in Deception, and it works here.

Quan Chi...
swhfiqtc.gif
rsaf2oea.jpg

Quan Chi makes an appearance at the end of the game to collect Shinnok's amulet (which was in Shao Kahn's possession during the events of this title for some reason). For his brief appearance, it seems Midway just reused his design (or a very close analog) from Deadly Alliance and Deception. Would've been interesting to see them try and reinterpret his old wizard robes, though I could understand them not wanting to bother for a kharacter making a drop-in cameo.

EDIT:

Blaze and Hornbuckle...
ojjh6.jpg
r4ql5kec.jpg

I just found out that both of these guys made an appearance in this game. Introduced on the Pit II stage of Mortal Kombat II, Torch Blaze and his friend Hornbuckle (the green-clad Liu Kang palette swap seen on the left in both images above) were notable background kharacters that gained a following. While Blaze would go on to become integral to the franchise's lore in the 2000s and has made cameo appearances to this very day, Hornbuckle sadly has not made any appearances after his secret cameo in Shaolin Monks, with other established kombatants taking over as Blaze's sparring partner whenever a stage needed a background fight.

And that's it for Shaolin Monks. This game obviously wouldn't be the last time the devs opted to revisit old kostumes due to backtracking through the chronology, but it was probably the instance where the new designs bore the most resemblance to the old. It's the old palette swaps (and Sonya) who tend to differ the most from their 2D counterparts, something that will mostly hold true as we reach other "lookback" games in the franchise. But first, we must return to the end of the original timeline and the gathering of 61 returning warriors at the Pyramid of Argus...how in the world am I going to organize all of those people?

Last edited:

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Reptile alt in Shaoin Monks might be one of my favorite designs for him

latest
latest

I just feel like it's the only time they managed to get both his human looking appearance and more lizard like into one design and made it work

Jan 4, 2021
Out of kuriosity I was looking up original actors, and the MK3 Sonya actress, at 51, is In better shape than ever. I mean, 6-pack abs and all.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Reptile alt in Shaoin Monks might be one of my favorite designs for him

latest
latest

I just feel like it's the only time they managed to get both his human looking appearance and more lizard like into one design and made it work
It's certainly a unique take. I'm not sure if it was a matter of economy in reusing skin textures, but even in his "human" form, Reptile's arms look scaly which sort of works to his advantage; It winds up subtly telegraphing that this green ninja is hiding something beneath the mask.

Thank you all for the kind words. I got the images (all 120+) lined up for Armageddon a while ago, so that post should be up before the work week is done. Frankly, it'll probably be two posts.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Man this thread really has me wishing we'd get a Shaolin Monks remaster or sequel, such a fun game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shaolin Monks was a good time and it's upsetting we never got a follow up.

It leaves me chuffed that Noob Saibot was such a nothing burger that the reveal of his identity then became the sole motivating factor of his character in every subsequent playable appearance.

(apparently it's because a fan suggested it based off Noob using Sub-Zero's Fatality in MK4).

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Shaolin Monks was a good time and it's upsetting we never got a follow up.

It leaves me chuffed that Noob Saibot was such a nothing burger that the reveal of his identity then became the sole motivating factor of his character in every subsequent playable appearance.

(apparently it's because a fan suggested it based off Noob using Sub-Zero's Fatality in MK4).
This is the first I've ever heard of this. Do you remember where or who you heard this from?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first I've ever heard of this. Do you remember where or who you heard this from?

I found a link to what claims to be the source, or at least where I originally read it, but the site itself seems to be gone and link to a scam site.

The story as far as I recall is that Noob Saibot being the original Sub-Zero was never intended but circa Deception where Noob was making a return Midway took a fan theory and enshrined it, based on how MK4 has Noob use one of Sub-Zero's fatalities and that Noob was a ninja working for the Netherrealm, where MK Mythologies emphasized that Sub-Zero was damned to go to if he didn't redeem himself, and then he dies before he gets the chance since Mythologies happens right before the first game.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
I definitely remember "Noob Saibot is the original Sub-Zero" being a really popular fan theory after MK4 came out because of how he is in that game

It's not really a secret that a lot of Mortal Kombat stuff was improvised over the years, so I could see it going either way. Noob Saibot in particular had shared elements of Scorpion and Kano already before he had Sub-Zero elements in 4, so I tend to lean towards it being a fan theory first and canon later.

Nov 15, 2017
I am very much enjoying this thread. I must have missed so many MKs cos I remember my brother getting 8(?) and just assuming all the characters I didn't recognise were new. Kenshi, Frost, Quan Chi etc. Boy was I wrong.

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon post (part one)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
odvxxfzc.jpg
siyap5zq.jpg

It has begun. The final game to be set primarily in the original timeline and the conclusion of the Dragon King trilogy decided to throw in everything and the kitchen sink. Every kharacter is back in one form or another in what may be the 3D equivalent to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (in regards to asset reuse if not fan reception). With that in mind, I now have to go through all 61 of these returning kombatants to review how they changed or didn't change since their last major mainline appearance (see that group shot above? This is the closest thing many of the returning kharacters have to new full-body art for this game). Let's get started.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvwNQnBLfmU

Liu Kang...
render2e3j24.png
pepdfcz8.png

It's surreal to think that Liu Kang ended his tenure in the original continuity as an undead zombie. Really, a lot of kharacters were in weird spots by Armageddon. He is unchanged in-game, but his new versus art more prominently displays his disgusting rotting flesh.

Raiden...
rzkpa.png
lhplimi8.png

Still rocking the Dark Raiden persona.

Sonya...
mkda-render14omkk4.jpg
79nqn4cu.png

Sonya got the rare privilege of being the focus of one of this game's rival-themed renders, where a kharacter would get a full-body shot while their archnemesis would get an adjacent foreground headshot. Sonya's archnemesis was predictably Kano, and I was fortunate enough to find an isolated version of Sonya herself. The new image certainly demonstrates how far Midway had come in rendering their kharacters for promotional art.

Johnny Cage...
mkda-render2418k6p.jpg
kx6bqkku.png

I forgot he had a back tattoo in Deadly Alliance. Now you can see it in all of its quasi-indecipherable glory on the versus art.

Scorpion...
s7kue.png
99lxtiui.jpg

Scorpion's new default kostume is actually an old alternate kostume from Deception that's based on an even older kostume featured in UMK3 and MK4. Once again, this design (now with black trim around the loincloth!) just sells the idea of a scary ninja that wears yellow. More so than usual, the undersuit looks outright molded onto Scorpion's physique. Taki from Soulcalibur wishes she could have calves this defined.

Sub-Zero...
2lkcn.jpg
idr2eovl.jpg

Unlike the simple switcheroo Scorpion got, the devs reached back to Deadly Alliance's alternate kostumes to provide Sub-Zero a new default. This old-new design is certainly more traditional than his default looks from the prior two games, and thankfully it's a good design in its own right. I appreciate the kostume having similar shoulder folds to the MKII look, creating a sense of continuity between the designs. The new mask and Dragon Medallion adorned on his tunic are also nice additions. A solid reworking of a klassic look and I'm happy to see it get some love here.

Reptile...
mkda-render463ak98.jpg
hcdmecs9.jpg
8ylsc85y.jpg

Now free of Onaga's influence, Reptile has returned to a humanish look, effectively ported directly from Shaolin Monks. His in-game model and versus art do make the scale patterning on the tunic (which I neglected to mention last time) more apparent, though.

Kano...
mkda-render3104k1f.jpg
h98gr5br.png

♫ Prepare yourself, Mortal Kombat's on today ♫

Goro...

ozgnqxw4.png
sb5sc6cv.png

♫ Prepare yourself, Mortal Kombat all the way ♫

Shang Tsung...

mkda-render02a5jva.jpg
yfkifgqq.png

♫ Prepare yourself, Mortal Kombat's here to stay ♫

Kitana...

kitana-mortal-kombat-tgk33.jpg
eaqmiphn.jpg

After two games of waffling, Midway finally relegated the Deadly Alliance default to the alts closet as the intended default took its place on the select screen. Probably the most out-there of Kitana's defaults up to this point, she's again opted for no mask and wears a purple bodysuit with dark leggings. As someone who praised Deadly Alliance for going against the grain with a few of its default outfits, I'm admittedly not too fond of this look. Don't care for the cutouts on the sides of the torso and honestly, I think it's just a little barebones, as weird as that is to say about a 3D-era kostume. The most interesting thing about this outfit to me is the long braid that the alt also has. Now, you're probably wondering why I'm using this rivals art instead of Kitana's render from Deadly Alliance which more accurately depicts the purple coloration. The simple reason is I wanted full-body art and I couldn't find any from 2002 for this kostume.

Jade...
7zjgz.png
g8clpwet.png

She's the same as she was in Deception, though this game's opening features her in her alternate kostume. I do wonder if that was another default/alt switcheroo that happened behind the scenes.

Mileena...
ocjh4.png
2mnabvky.png

Did you see the above art with Kitana? I told you her veil was see-through.

Jax...
h8jef.jpg
6vio4yg5.png

New rendering for the versus art does make his arms look a little less busy, though his in-game model is largely unchanged.

Kung Lao...
mkda-render34rzjv5.jpg
cmzdzncq.jpg

After his Deadly Alliance alt snuck its way through the GBA version and Deception's endings as Kung Lao's sole kostume, it's now been properly instated as his default. What can I say, it's a great design and -- as it was introduced in 2002 -- a masterful way to retool Kung Lao's MKII look. The sash and the tassels could probably be cited as easy examples of the design excesses of this era, but I think they look neat. Also, the golden sandals are something I didn't even notice until now, they're a nice additional splash of color. As I mentioned before, this kostume would set the tone for many of Kung Lao's outfits for the next decade, so this won't be the last time we see something in its vein.

Baraka...
72eifszo.png
ip5dhsul.png

You know, maybe I should consider Baraka's arm blades as part of the kostume. Sometimes, they look like metal, sometimes they look like pure bone, so it's worth noting at the very least.

Noob Saibot and (Cyber) Smoke...
txnbrdth.png
2obx7274.png

I was unable to get full-body art for the two of them separately, so I'll talk about them together even if they're no longer sharing a slot in this game. What I presume were meant to be the default kostumes for the two of them in Deception have now been made the defaults in Armageddon. Noob looks like Noob again, and Smoke has evolved into a nanomachine smoke demon due to his time spent in the Netherrealm affecting his cybernetics...that is a sentence I just typed up. Our newly gaseous friend here may be one of the few instances of an in-game model selling a design aesthetic better than promotional art. You kind of need to see him in motion to really appreciate this turn. I'm not entirely hot on smoke Smoke myself, but I acknowledge that the art alone kind of doesn't do the concept justice. As for Smoke's kostume itself, it's interesting. Holes in the pants because modesty is an illusion and being made of literal nanomachines means you have nothing to hide. I actually do like the red added to his tunic and the new mask is suitably demonic. It's a unique turn. Not sure I would've wanted this long-term, but maybe it could've gone somewhere had game events not transpired the way they did.

Kintaro...
zm8q44ch.gif
e6sif654.jpg

It took 13 years, but Kintaro has finally achieved a wholly new design in a mainline game and it's the first wholly new redesign for this game we're talking about. Honestly, it's not too different from what his more famous counterpart would be wearing in MK9, what with the red armored loincloth and black patterning. The new kneepads provide some additional red that goes well with his fur (fur that can grow a black braid in the back of the head. Imagine if the braid hair had tiger patterning as well). All in all, a nice design refresh that gave the series' second Shokan some much-deserved individuality.

Shao Kahn...
render2oxjuf.png
i5ticjsu.png
ezburqj7.png

He's largely unchanged from Deception, but one promotional render (probably one of the rival renders) does make use of a different design, possibly based on Shaolin Monks judging from how the helmet and loincloth look.

Stryker...
f3cb3xhr.gif
8l566eyh.jpg

Kurtis Stryker never quite got the fame of many of his fellow newcomers from MK3. He effectively followed in Johnny and Jax's footsteps as the normal supporting Earthrealm hero, and unlike Johnny had no known superpowers to speak of. He's a riot cop who happened to be in the right place at the right time. In the intervening years (and likely spurred by complaints that Stryker looked too run of the mill to be fighting with Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn), Midway seems to have redesigned him to look closer to what a contemporary riot control officer would look like as interpreted by a comic book. He's now sporting a black leather bodysuit with blue lining, as well as two weapons (possibly his gun and nightstick) protruding from his back like they were intersecting katana. Honestly, Stryker looks like he's wearing the civilian uniform of the Power Rangers in Ninja Storm. He's also got protective eyewear, understandable given he's traded his handgun for a machine gun. Outside of the color scheme and a few weapons, the most notable carryover from his MK3 design are the fingerless gloves. I don't think this is a bad design, though it's more secret agent than police officer. Ironically, his alternate kostume probably does the riot cop/S.W.A.T. member motif better. Goofy as it could be, there was something charming about Stryker's original plainclothes picked-up-what-I-could-find garb from MK3.

Nightwolf...
uf7cplbl.png
hsycvxnj.png

The versus art really does do a nice job of highlighting details the full renders can't always do. Look at that lining on Nightwolf's vest.

Kabal...
gln876n8.png
f48slu6h.png

After MK9, it's surreal seeing Kabal's arms not looking like charred bacon.

Sindel...
aorek6qp.png
zc5xnzc6.png

I didn't even notice the folds on Sindel's gloves. Really evoking 1939 Batman there.

Sheeva...
fu94dwa5.gif
5jt22n4g.png

The third Shokan returns to a playable role for the first time. She's basically just rocking two different kinds of swimsuit in the images above, going from the red singlet in MK3 to the gold "bikini" and breechcloth in Armageddon. Lots of ornaments on her in Armageddon, accented with red fabric. Her mohawk has also somehow gotten taller in the interim, and her face looks marginally more human here. I've admittedly never been too hot on any of Sheeva's designs pre-MK11, but Armageddon's rendition at least decks her out with enough baubles to match Kintaro. Makes Goro look a little naked just sticking to his MK1 design all this time when you think about it.

Cyrax...
mkda-render4748jn0.jpg
owwrncl6.png

Take a good long look. This is the last we'll see of the Predator helmet on a contemporary design that isn't just retro-themed DLC.

Sektor...
n0jn8.gif
la5zisyh.jpg

After spending Tournament Edition and Deception's Konquest Mode as a recolor of Cyrax, Sektor at last gains his own unique design. Much like Cyrax, he's also ditched the loincloth, but the red plating on the legs and torso makes it look less like he's wearing a robot bikini, which is appreciated. It's a nice design, and one that would serve as a dry run for the more Iron Man-inspired looks the Cyber Lin Kuei would gain from 2011 onward.

Motaro...
dv64zhpp.gif
3tlbklz4.jpg

The jump to 3D graphics hit Motaro hard. Having to accommodate a traditionally four-legged kharacter in this game meant taking away his back legs and handwaving it as a species-wide curse against the centaurs courtesy of the Shokan's dark magic, thus depriving Motaro of one of his most defining characteristics. His kostume in this new minotaur form consists of silver bracelets and a leather loincloth. Serviceable, but it's just unfortunate that this would be the last time you could play as or even fight Motaro in a Mortal Kombat game.

Ermac...
2yd8cwer.png
88qotcoo.png

He's the same as before, and he's beautiful.

Rain...
ji7lgkcw.gif
f6jygxk6.png

The other new recolor from UMK3 returns to finally stake his claim. He's ditched his old threads in favor of vaguely Middle Eastern attire emphasizing purple, black, and gold. It's appropriately princely for the third son of Argus, and the cape adds to his silhouette. That it looks like a more regal take on a purple MKII ninja outfit is a likely coincidence, but a humorous one nonetheless. This is another one of those designs that would receive successors in future games that were fairly heavily inspired by this one's design elements (most notably the veil).

Chameleon...
jtp6pzzx.gif
mea7adks.png

The mood-ring ninja of Mortal Kombat Trilogy's disc-based versions returns with his own design and now sports a signature color of sea green (his tunic still changes colors in the game proper). His mask looks reminiscent of Sub-Zero's mask in this game, which is interesting, and his tunic has the quilted patterning of the ninjas of old. The most notable design change for him though is obviously the transparent skin. Just what is he? His female counterpart Khameleon has the same transparent skin and we know she's a Saurian like Reptile, but Chameleon's origins remain unknown. The new kostume is a welcome update and the gold belt buckle and headband are good additions but seriously what is he?

And thus ends part one of the Armageddon rundown.

Last edited:

mattciq

Nov 23, 2017
Baraka...
render25fjmg.png
versusvvkzi.png

You know, maybe I should consider Baraka's arm blades as part of the kostume. Sometimes, they look like metal, sometimes they look like pure bone, so it's worth noting at the very least.
Something I've wondered for a long time: where do Baraka's blades go when they're retracted? They seem too long to fit into his forearms, like I always assumed Wolverine's claws do, or his upper arms. But now I'm wondering how that would even work with the wrist or elbow joints...

Edit: I guess this explains Wolvie's claws:

but what about those damn arm blades?

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This thread kind of reiterates that I really don't like any characters introduced after MK3. I'm including UMK3.

It's not that I don't want to, but they just all look so uninspired and out of place.

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon post (part two, now with Kia & Jataaka) and a message for donations
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
mattciq As of MK11, Baraka is shown as able to detach his arm blades as necessary, so it's possible his body just allows him to grow them as needed. As for how he retracts them, maybe they're collapsible like Jade's staff.

Alright, let's finish this.

Fujin...
prj8q.png
oocguyrx.png

Welcome back, Fujin. Midway's art team had fun with you. They took his general color scheme from Mythologies and MK4 (though with the brighter red swapped out for a more crimson shade) and rearranged its placement somewhat. The blue/teal pants are retained, and he now has what appear to be crimson robes across his chest and hips. Amusingly, he somehow looks less armored than he did in the 90s due to the shrinking of his shinguards and bracelets. In lieu of his cape, he's gotten a notable extension to his hair, now a long braid, a design element that would carry over into later appearances. Another solid redesign. Something I'm noticing is the amount of gold trim a lot of these kostumes have. I'm not saying they make kostumes inherently good or bad...but many of the best ones use it.

Sareena...
r4k7m.jpg
bpuzdabs.png

Sareena finally makes her playable console game debut with a new design that more closely harkens back to her original one. The red accents return and her top returns to the corset style while her boots from Mythologies are also restored (but with more prominent heels added, par for the course for most of the returning female kharacters). It seems Midway went back to John Tobias' art from the 90s when designing Sareena's new outfit, because the loincloth with hip guards and back straps has returned...and in the 3D space, you've got an unimpeded view of her backside thanks to the skirt effectively having vents. That is one design choice from Tobias' run that I wish had stayed in the past. As it stands, this is just 1997 Sareena with the general shrinking of fabric that everyone else got in this era and not even retaining the cool patterns that her Tournament Edition counterpart had (because that kostume's the alt now).

Quan Chi...
mkda-render059yjte.jpg
6o9uom6n.png

He's exactly the same.

Shinnok...
d2jvg.png
lot55hwv.png

Shinnok's Armaggedon image comes from this video.
Despite what the big group shot (and the opening, and the versus art, and his one standalone promotional render) will tell you, the kostume with the blue longcoat, while awesome, is not Shinnok's default in-game. The above image on the right is. It is heavily reminiscent of his MK4 look, right down to the red shinguards and gold cuffs around the wrists. The most significant differences are the gold collar of the robes overtaking more of the torso area and the gold trim around the loincloth, which is now longer. A faithful upgrade, which makes for an amusing contrast with...

Kai...
2dwj2ytt.png
yav53d52.png

Yep, this is a 2000s-era Mortal Kombat redesign, alright. It is interesting to see how much they deviated away from the original design in comparison to the scrapped Deadly Alliance look while also doing a better job at retaining Kai's old color scheme. Dark red top, black pants, dark red loincloth, and dark red around the lower legs. If you squint, this looks like a pretty straightforward design evolution. It's just when you look again, you realize Kai's decked out in a ton of armor. Truth be told, this design feels more fitting for Deadly Alliance's armor-out-the-wazoo philosophy -- or at least the philosophy as people perceived it -- than the one that ultimately went unused. It admittedly sells the idea of Kai traveling the world to find himself better by virtue of differing so much from the original, but did we have to have the white stripes downplayed so much? Those were his thing. They're still clearly on his arms in-game, and his MK4-inspired alt picks up the slack, but those were his thing.

Tanya...
render23vj28.png
xv7thava.png

It is amusing to think that among the four non-Meat MK4 originals, it would be Tanya that wound up having the most faithful redesign upon entering the Dragon King trilogy. Which leads me to...

Jarek...
a7h3ixce.png
5gqbppzy.png

Yeah, this is a departure. I guess he can't be confused with Kano anymore at least. Jarek, after surviving Jax tossing him off a cliff, lay in hiding for several years, practicing his Fatalities (I kid you not, this is actual canon) in anticipation of the day when he could take his revenge. His continued incognito crime spree gained the attention of the Forces of Darkness, and Jarek was recruited into their ranks to oppose the hero kharacters when the Pyramid of Argus got everyone's attention. Much like Kai and Reiko as well, Jarek's a case of the color scheme being retained while darn near everything else is thrown out. While he's kept the facial hair and general color layout from his MK4 appearance, he's decked himself in full armor. It's Jarek from MK4 in armor, I don't really know what else to say. It's not even my favorite set of armor in the game. I think it's actually a little difficult to make out the sculpting on it due to the dark colors. This may be where "less is more" takes effect. The look was a bit derivative, but I think the basic vest and pants worked better for the Black Dragon member.

Reiko...
deyo2utm.png
vmq3yahf.png

Remember Reiko's ending in the PS1/PC/Dreamcast ports of Mortal Kombat 4 where he sat on a throne and suddenly donned Shao Kahn's helmet? Well, now he's got Shao Kahn's outfit except for the helmet. As it turns out, Reiko wasn't just a loyal servant to Shinnok, he's also a Shao Kahn fanboy who likes to wear his helmet when the emperor isn't looking. Gone are the off-brand maskless ninja duds, now we have helmetless Outworld dictator duds. I'm not even sure whether this is an upgrade, a downgrade, or a lateral move. Reiko's Shao Kahn-inspired look at least deviates from the parent template more than his MK4 outfit at least, although I think that's mostly down to Reiko opting to wear pants. And the shoulder pads look legitimately cool with the ridges and whatnot. The facial markings are thankfully retained, though the loss of his white hair due to him shaving the sides is unfortunate. Netherrealm George Clooney will be missed.

Meat...
t4kba.png
lme9i4zu.png

From bloodied skeleton to half-formed cadaver, that's how we meet Meat in Armageddon. It seems his flesh has grown to the point where he or someone else decided modesty was imperative and offered him some black undies. Now if only someone could offer the poor bloke an eyepatch to deal with that loose eyestalk. This guy is body horror incarnate, and he even has a technique to restore his health by pulling on his loose eye. Sheesh.

Kenshi...
render2ycj0t.png
kw4fwkng.png

His Deception default remains his default in Armageddon, but his versus art and appearance in the opening opt for the Deadly Alliance design.

Li Mei...
render21tj6g.png
tb64hr5h.png

Nothing much to say here, other than her alternate kostume is the one featured in the opening. It looks way more suitable for a fight, not that it saved her from getting impaled by Hotaru's naginata.

Bo' Rai Cho...
5xvipe37.png
9uwio89j.png

You can see the gold ornament around his chest more easily in the versus art, which is nice. Apparently, he also ties his beard into two separate strands.

Frost...
mkda-render39iwj2w.jpg
cusipwjz.png

Look, I don't have anything else to say about Frost. She's been a constant in all three games of the Dragon King trilogy and hasn't changed her design at all, so I'm going to use this blurb to ask you to invest your time in helping the civilians of Palestine: Go here for a direct link to help Palestinian children. Go here for a link to UNICEF's general donations page.

With the exception of Blaze and one other, everyone from here on out has been playable less than twice up to this point and has received no design updates for this entry. This means I'm basically just going to be musing about their first (and for many, only) default designs in the series.

Nitara...
9g8dqc6r.jpg
bb3czpuk.png

Oh, Nitara, my childhood crush. You look like a pirate, but you're just a regular person by the standards of the vampires in Mortal Kombat. I don't really know why she has all the gratuitous straps around her waist. It's indicative of a "minimal clothing, maximum random accessories" philosophy that most of the other female kharacters don't have in this game. She's got the jacket, the studded bikini, the seemingly mesh-colored boots, the aforementioned straps, the hair sticks, the headband that doubles as an eyepatch. And she's got the giant wings (both of which have tattoos on them). Decent color coordination might be the one thing keeping this design from falling apart. I like that the breechcloth effectively stands in for a traditional vampire's cape since her wings already take up so much real estate in the back. I like the fact that she has visible giant wings at all. She's exactly what I'd expect an Outworld vampire to look like, and I would like to see her get another shot. She is oddly the only Deadly Alliance newcomer aside from Mokap to make no physical appearance in the rebooted timeline at all, which is surprising.

Mavado...
umvnuuyv.jpg
ysrsinoj.png

Mavado's a weird one to me. He's probably got one of the less busy designs of Deadly Alliance's newcomers simply by virtue of just being decked out in a longcoat and a pair of pants. And what a pair of pants he has. I honestly don't know if they're the best or the worst part of his outfit. If you take them away, you're left with a serviceable if somewhat standard evil ruffian design: Leather, black and red color scheme, you know. Ironically, he winds up complementing Kano despite their affiliations with rival organizations. It's funny that the leader of the Red Dragon arguably has less visible red on his person than the leader of the Black Dragon.

Hsu Hao...
f7u6pfat.jpg
qejxbywx.png

Discussing Hsu Hao is tricky. Everyone from Mortal Kombat fans to Mortal Kombat developers has already said their piece on this guy. The Red Dragon loyalist and part-time Special Forces mole admittedly doesn't have the most elaborate of designs (his hat didn't even carry over to his appearance in Tournament Edition). I do like that his double agent stint in Special Forces is reflected by him having green pants with kneepads like Jax. The artificial heart is also an admittedly unique design element. Really, it's the strange skin complexion that winds up contributing to him looking like a Yellow Peril stereotype and drags the design down. And given Midway and NRS' general disdain for him, it's unlikely he'll ever receive a wholesale design refresh to address this.

Drahmin...
xupqqlcq.jpg
6hw8luul.png

One half of the Oni tormentor duo Quan Chi recruited to help him conquer the realms, Drahmin is a former warlord who's spent ages trapped in the Netherrealm, warping his body and mind; His mask is said to be a kind of power limiter to keep him from going completely insane. Drahmin was one of the many monster kharacters added during the 3D era, and Midway certainly took advantage of the higher processing power to depict a skinless humanoid with endless amounts of flies swarming around him. He's like Meat with a mask. Outside of said mask, Drahmin's most notable characteristic is his Iron Club, which is worn around his entire forearm. It's a welcome addition to improve his silhouette, even if the developers allegedly hated programming for it.

Moloch...
xqh4a97p.jpg
bcvbpvis.png

After four games of Shokan and Centaur sub-bosses, Midway apparently decided that a new kind of monster should be introduced to beleaguer the players. Thus, Drahmin's fellow Oni Moloch was introduced. Taking a more traditional Oni appearance, Moloch is garbed in little more than a loincloth, some holsters, and chains attached to his weapon of choice. When ranking the playable kast of Mortal Kombat, Den of Geek stated Moloch was able to do a lot more with less compared to his partner Drahmin, and I'm inclined to agree. Drahmin has the mask with lore and a uniquely wielded (worn?) weapon, but Moloch carries more of a presence. Maybe because he's bigger, maybe because he's the designated sub-boss of Deadly Alliance. He's a hulking monster who (alongside Drahmin) serves to remind the player of just how vast the MK universe really is, and I miss him.

Blaze...
mkda-render54nnkah.jpg
ib7cfy34.png

The perennial background player of the MK franchise was elevated to final boss for this game, and in usual series tradition, he was given a new hulking frame to match. Gone is the humble fire elemental, and in his place is a bulky lava golem-like creature who wears his element on his sleeve so to speak. He's got a stronger silhouette, but there was something almost eerier about the old Blaze. Something more ethereal than outright malevolent. Him getting roped into the conflict with Argus and his sons has quite literally transformed him into a monster that everyone wants to slay. Blaze wouldn't have much prominence after Armageddon, but his cameo appearances would draw from his more golem-esque look with varying alterations added over time.

Mokap...
juy26nq8.jpg
iifhxcdv.png

And here we have Midway's tribute to original Raiden actor and motion capture guru Carlos Pesina. He's a seemingly normal Earthrealm human modeled after Pesina's likeness and decked out in motion capture gear. He's probably the last true playable joke kharacter added to the series, and alongside Blaze in Deadly Alliance the last true playable secret kharacters in the old sense (i.e., not even properly displayed on the select screen in spite of them having their own biographies and endings, lacking unique fighting styles or weapon stances). I'm not even going to grumble about him just looking like a normal dude. He's a tribute to an actor who's had involvement with every Mortal Kombat game, and a symbol of an era when fighting games could afford to be a bit more carefree in crafting rosters.

Now we can discuss the kharacters of Deception...none of whom have had any significant design changes whatsoever because they're all model ports from a game that only released two years prior.

Shujinko...
p8vj5pzh.png
f5jfvyag.jpg
5m3rhf6i.jpg
3diz9jo2.png

Honestly, I feel like the fandom doesn't appreciate Shujinko enough. While he's the first of several attempted Liu Kang replacements, I kind of dig that Midway didn't exclusively go down the expected path of crafting a hip, starry-eyed successor to lead Deception. He starts that way in Konquest Mode, but by the time of the game's opening, he's already aged into an experienced master with some serious regrets over his life choices. It is interesting that it took Mortal Kombat six games to really get its own old, wisened martial arts master (though Bo' Rai Cho could serve as a physically younger example), and showing his life story through Konquest Mode was a unique decision. As for the design itself, it's serviceable. An old master in brown and gold robes. The newcomers of Deception on average weren't as armored up as one would expect. It's basic clothing that wouldn't look too out of place in MKII. Maybe could've used a brighter color to help it stand out a bit more, though. Sandwiched between Shujinko's art from Deception and Armageddon are his younger forms used only in the former's Konquest Mode. The youngest form is loosely reminiscent of Kung Lao's Deadly Alliance default, while the older one on the right goes for a vest/pants combo with the patented Midway soul patch. I'm surprised neither of these was made into an alt for Shujinko in the main game(s) proper.

Ashrah...
dyz4jayd.png
jwy3g5nu.png

Ashrah has what I would call a simple elegance to her design. Pure white robes with gold trim to signify her self-righteous mission of self-purification. The gold rings around her wrists and lower legs add just the slightest ornateness to keep her outfit from being too basic, and the gold sash complements her robes well. I would be remiss not to mention her giant hat with the veil in the back, giving her a look similar to Raiden even if he went off the deep end in Deception. She's very much evoking the vibe of an angelic nomad, appropriate given her desire to slay "evil" creatures in order to purge herself of her demon heritage. A good design from Deception.

Dairou...
render26tkna.png
xt9hdhrb.png

Dairou was a fighter originally considered for Deadly Alliance's roster before being shuffled off to its sequel, leaving me to wonder how his backstory would've gone in a game that didn't introduce any new realms beyond alluding to Nitara's home of Vaeternus. Dairou is a humble ex-guard of Seido, the Orderrealm. He's effectively hoodwinked into the power struggle between the resistance led by Darrius (more on him later) and the Seidan fanatic Hotaru (more on him even later). Dairou's for all intents and purposes just a dude. No real grand motivation beyond avenging the injustice done to him, and no longstanding allegiances to many of the major players of the series due to the chaos and order factions both kind of pissing him off at various points. He's a mercenary with some armor. There's a discussion to be had on how one makes an in-universe (former) rank-and-file soldier look unique without coming off as ostentatious. Baraka pulls it off, but the Tarkatans stand out in a crowd to begin with. I actually think his concept design looks a little more distinct, even if it winds up having a bit more color clash as a result.

Darrius...
m8yvk2h3.png
uwosh82y.png

It's time to discuss the leader of the Seidan Resistance. Truth be told, I kind of like this kostume. I literally just went and implied Dairou's outfit actually wasn't colorful enough, but this black and gold (orange?) combo works well. It's like some kind of leathery...something and I think it works. I have no idea how fashion in Orderrealm is, but Darrius looks like a Mortal Kombat kharacter. The tinted shades and boots are cool as well. The strap-on sleeves seem a bit gratuitous, though.

Hotaru...
l85x5ory.png
6eayrmdv.png
lv28nji6.png

And now we discuss Dairou's former guardsman Hotaru. A warrior completely obsessed with the idea of order, Hotaru has opted for symmetrical ornate black armor with maroon fabric and gold trim. It's only now that I feel the urge to compare him to the Black Luster Soldier from Yu-Gi-Oh!. I've got two Deception renders for him because the one in the middle is lacking the war flags he keeps mounted on his back during gameplay. They're incredibly ostentatious, and I'm alright with his alt removing them. That aside, this is probably one of the best heavily armored designs in the series. The layering of the armor plates gives Hotaru an almost insectoid motif, which feels heightened by his alt kostume providing him a Mandalorian-styled helmet.

Havik...
s2xdd93l.png
65x3khuk.png

The Cleric of Chaos allegedly started off as an intended alternate kostume for Noob Saibot before taking a life of his own. This crazy denizen of Chaosrealm looks like he tumbled into a box of unfinished armor pieces and he makes it work. Asymmetry is the name of the game for him, from the one sleeve on one arm to the straps on the other. You could argue he's almost not asymmetrical enough, but he's sufficiently crazy-looking to leave an impression. The gladiator helmet over the half-skull face is striking on its own. Like, very few Mortal Kombat kharacters have iconic faces, but Havik is one of them. Edgier Skeletor gets two thumbs up.

Kobra...
render26tkna.png
jiygv7b4.png

Everyone's favorite Ken Masters lookalike is here. It is really weird it took this long to get a standard karate gi guy in this series. I admittedly didn't expect Midway to just copy off one of the original karate gi guys in video games, but here we are. Kobra's attire is fine, maybe too straight-laced for the violence-obsessed lunatic he is in canon, but it's a fine outfit in its own right. Wouldn't mind Johnny Cage stealing it and adding more blue into the mix. The black/white/yellow color scheme I'm guessing was inspired by the Karate Kid franchise's Cobra Kai dojo uniforms, which would likely explain the name as well. A serviceable kostume, though I'd say his gi-hoodie alternate does a better job at conveying the underground street fighter aspect of Kobra's backstory. And no, he didn't switch to a black gi for his default kostume in Armageddon, that's just how the only versus art I could find looks. I found (read: screenshot) "new" art for him.

Kira...
render26tkna.png
pyk6t4cn.png

One of the new recruits of the Black Dragon in Deception, Kira's design does a hit few similar notes to Kano's. Black and red are once again the main color scheme, though Kira embraces more red, including on her holey pants and velvet hair. She's also adorned herself with leather wristguards and silver straps around the boots. It works for conveying a criminal of the Mortal Kombat universe, but I feel like she and Kobra could be...more? These two would be the last newly created Black Dragon members of nominal importance to be added to the games, with the devs just kind of defaulting to Kano and Kabal -- with ex-Lin Kuei Tremor dropping in from time to time -- when they want to depict the organization these days. Like, I get it. It's hard to have multiple relatively grounded criminals whose general personality trait is "I like murder and larceny" and make them all stand out without stealing from other kharacters. I'd like to see them try again, though.

Onaga...
wijie.jpg
73q53oru.png

There is only one true ruler of Outworld...and it's no longer him. Onaga, AKA the Dragon King, AKA Damashi, was the final boss of Mortal Kombat: Deception before returning in a playable role in Armageddon. As the former king of Outworld and Shao Kahn's former master, he certainly looks the part of an imposing reptilian overlord. One part lizard, one part human, one part devil (seriously, he's got goat hooves for feet), Onaga was added to be the mainline series' first big final boss since Shao Kahn after Shinnok and the Deadly Alliance offered players more human-proportioned opponents to face off with. Much like Nitara, his silhouette is enhanced by those giant bat-like wings that are almost taller than his entire body when folded up. Given that he's actually using Reptile as a physical vessel for his appearance in Deception, I kind of wish he'd take more physical cues from his host. As it stands, he's still an imposing dragon creature (one taking more cues from a Western dragon. Alas, we will never get a main villain who can accurately match the dragon in the series logo). Onaga wouldn't make many appearances after this, but his design's been largely unchanged for the few times he does appear. I'll never say no to the devs trying new things, but if he ever makes a large comeback I hope they keep his general look intact, including the war helmet.

And when the Wii port was released, one more kharacter was added: Khameleon, last seen in the Nintendo 64 version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Khameleon...
d4v7h87u.gif
39vs5xzn.jpg

All the female ninjas have unique designs now. Khameleon, much like her male counterpart has also gained transparent flesh and a new sea green outfit. Said outfit is not too different from her MK Trilogy look, just with heeled boots and garters, likely drawing comparisons to Jade's alternate kostume in this game. She's also abandoned her hair bun for also transparent, almost Medusa-like flowing locks held with a headband. It's a welcome update for the Zaterran.

EDIT: More retroactive updates than a Star Wars home media release.

Non-playable kharacters

Kia and Jataaka...

l5sswzet.gif
ib4ohjql.gif
skbzwwgl.jpg

Sareena's fellow members of the Brotherhood of Shadow that Bi-Han defeated in Mythologies: Sub-Zero. They clearly share Sareena's fashion sense. The two returned in Konquest Mode where they (Jataaka on the left beside Quan Chi, Kia on the far right) were opponents of player protagonist Taven. Their designs have largely gone unchanged. Kia's skirt has been either shortened or changed into shorts and Jataaka's corset has had some of its center fabric hollowed out. Minor stuff even compared to the tweaks done to Sareena.

And that is every returning kharacter in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. The next big post will be about the series' comic book company-collaborating eighth entry that opted for a new look as Midway made the jump to HD consoles.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I remember really liking Ashrah. Considering she's the only female addition to the cast I remember from that game I guess her design worked well to make her memorable within the sea of straps, one-pieces and, yes, breechcloths.

Last edited:

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mileena...
6kkxt.gif
oqkz9.png

Talking about Jade and Mileena back to back feels like a cosmic joke I played on myself. If Jade's new design showed some relative restraint, then Mileena's opted to embrace the subtly of a brick to the groin. It's technically more fabric than Jade's kostume, and yet it looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. It really does look like a recolored version of the MK Gold kostume with sleeves added and the sash taken away. I do think the idea to go with black as the main color this time around was an inspired choice; the large sleeves and breechcloth -- yes, that's a word I just learned -- certainly help in giving the design a better silhouette as well. While I appreciate the torso strap for providing an answer as to how her outfit doesn't completely come apart, it does kind of add more visual noise to the design, which feels like it has too much and not enough going on at the same time. Really, I think this design is saved by the somehow see-through veil, completing the whole Arabian Nights-esque assassin look with fang patterning at the top. This kostume would arguably become Mileena's most famous one, influencing later designs in Shaolin Monks, MK9, and MKX. It's certainly when the devs really went whole-hog on the "beautiful body, monstrous mouth" thing that was already present in her earlier designs. I've got my caveats with this design, but I like some of the ideas it was going for.
I believe this the era of her Playboy debut too.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe post (now with (some) DC characters)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
9u9hdlc3.jpg

We return to take a look at Midway's final Mortal Kombat title and the first to see release exclusively on seventh-gen systems. Being set outside of the main canon(s) of the other titles, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is a less violent crossover game playing out a what-if scenario where the warriors of Mortal Kombat -- ostensibly sometime during or shortly after the events of Mortal Kombat 3 -- see their universe merged with the universe of DC Comics. This game's plot effectively gave the art team another chance at reimagining the returning kharacters (whose ranks have been vastly downsized due to the time period, development woes, and move to HD models) during their earlier days. For the first time since 2002, every returning kharacter has gotten a new outfit. And thankfully, we only have to talk about a dozen of them this time. Let's set the mood and get to it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJNbEJjYjw

Liu Kang...
render2e3j24.png
pzupc9pr.jpg

Liu Kang reverts back to his human form and has received some minor touch-ups to his most recurring kostume. The bindings around his boots seem made of rope this time around, and his spiked bracelets are more like spiked wristguards due to the studding not coiling around the entire arm anymore. Most notable of all however is the new champion's belt with the Mortal Kombat dragon emblazoned in the center, a design choice that would be carried over to the next mainline game. Loss of red around the waist due to the new belt aside, I have no real problems with this redesign.

Raiden...
rzkpa.png
renderwbk11.jpg

Much like Liu Kang, Raiden's turn to the dark side has been averted in this game's continuity, so his outfit reflects a more traditional approach. Raiden's opted for a new tunic with his shoulder pads serving as makeshift sleeves. The overtunic again resembles the one from MK4, but with a rope-lined belt and gold buttons at the top to fasten his gold-trimmed cape. Non-Dark Raiden's cowl has also returned to its vacuum-sealed look for the first time since the 90s. It's a majestic look, albeit one far more streamlined than his default from Deadly Alliance. In general, I'd say the kostumes in this game are pretty streamlined compared to the prior three games. Or maybe the hardware was finally able to display the kind of designs the artists wanted without making the models look too cluttered.

Sonya...
sonya6rkc5.png
renderivkm8.jpg

Sonya's design has also been mostly altered via omission. No more jacket, so the greenish-black coloration is transferred to her pants (which seem to have a codpiece?). No more visible thong, so we get to see the tan lines on her render and in-game model because the devs really needed to let us know that thongs are her thing. No more fluffy neck-length hair, probably because it's either tied up or kept hidden in that nice new beret. And no more Barbie doll anatomy, because her new shirt is tight enough to let us know that this commando goes commando. The boots and gloves are nice at least.

Scorpion...
346271-mkd_scorpion5xk6k.jpg
render1qjsa.jpg

I appreciate the likely unintentional hilarity in going from a UMK3-inspired design to an MKII-inspired design between Armageddon and this game. Scorpion's new look is decidedly old-school, retaining the quilted tunic but with additional lining around it (and the giant skull belt). The tabi-styled footwear is retained and his legs have some new armor that features patterns matching the scorpion theming of his mask, an accessory that would be carried over to MK9 with some alterations. It's a nice modernization of the earlier ninja looks, especially with the slightly curved shoulder pads and scorpion-styled armoring on the wristguards, but it restrains itself just enough with that theming.

Sub-Zero...
d7jpf.jpg
render7pkoa.jpg

Juxtaposing the Deadly Alliance alternate/Armageddon default with Kuai Liang's MKvsDCU outfit makes me notice more similarities than I initially realized...or maybe these are just inevitable visual overlaps that result from both designs being kind of straightforward reworkings of the MKII look. I think it's the loincloths and the ice arms doing most of the heavy lifting for me on that front, probably also the traditional cowls given how Kuai Liang used a metal helmet in Deception and forwent a mask entirely in Deadly Alliance. The MKvsDCU design itself is an odd one for me. I don't really think anything's wrong with it, it certainly sticks out with the patterning on the tunic and the mask which would be carried over wholesale to MK9's Kuai Liang. Upon further inspection, I actually do like the shinguards a fair deal as well. And it's neat that his undertunic has a texture that resembles the chainmail of the Lin Kuei warriors Sub-Zero's in command of in Deception, but I just cannot put my finger on why this design doesn't fully click for me. It might actually be the patterning drawing too much of my attention away from the blue, but I don't know. It's a serviceable redesign for a kharacter who I've always thought got serviceable redesigns at worst.

Kano...
mkda-render3104k1f.jpg
renderd1j1n.jpg

The bandolier returns to much rejoicing. Well, I'm rejoicing at least. Kano here's got a pretty simple redesign, one that may have taken some inspiration from his look in Special Forces but with the expected additional detail. Like those oddly high-tech-looking boots, or the tassels around his shoulders. Also, you can actually see the cornea of his cybernetic eye which threw me off the first time I noticed. It's arguably the most stereotypically "down under" Kano's ever looked and I am literally only saying that because of the pockets on the vest. It's just a clean look overall.

Shang Tsung...
mkda-render02a5jva.jpg
rendereqji5.jpg

Shang Tsung returns to his black and yellow garb, with splashes of dark red mostly on the sides. The outfit's got similar straps to Shang Tsung's garb from MKII and MK3, but with the aforementioned red keeping the sides unexposed. The pants also seem to have a golden dragon pattern on both legs. It's an admirable redesign that honors the kostumes from Shang Tsung's first two playable appearances while making the design its own. Shout-outs to the tiny studs on the loincloth.

Kitana...
cff026c9beae5f961959dwgjht.jpg
render2gj64.jpg

Keeping in spirit with this game's retro aesthetic, Kitana's returned to the leotard and boots look, with a twist. It's effectively MKII, UMK3, and Deadly Alliance's Kitana kostumes put into a blender and coming out aesthetically pleasing instead of a mangled mess of fabric. The black patterning works well with the blue-gray parts of the leotard, gloves, boots, and mask. And this has very little to do with outfits, but her long ponytail (held steady by a lovely ribbon) provides a nice substitute for the long braid she had in previous games. It's another straightforward design refresh, and another one that works well by straddling the line between faithful and distinct. This game is currently the last to feature a default design of Kitana's that uses some variation of the leotard and knee-high boots.

Jax...
h8jef.jpg
renderxpkc1.jpg

You know, I watched Stargate for the first time over a day ago and I can finally see some practical use for Jax's goggles. They're great protective eyewear for sandstorms and the use of heavy-duty firearms, the latter of which Jax was associated with in the 2000s. Regardless, he's ditched the goggles and the beret in this game, going for a generally sleeker look overall with a protective bulletproof vest decked out in some sweet yellow lining. His pants match Sonya's and have new kneepads, keeping a design element from Deadly Alliance alive. His bionic arms also resemble the arms from Deadly Alliance but with better modeling, making the silver-on-black combination work for me for the first time. In addition, he's brandishing dog tags openly for the first time around his neck, something Sonya would be doing in the next game. Not a bad way to end the 2000s for Jackson Briggs.

Baraka...
render25fjmg.png
render9djn4.jpg

He's abandoned his bone armor in favor of a more humanmade style of armor, though with some ceremonial fabrics attached. Baraka's also gotten himself some shoulder pads, seemingly to make up for less of his torso and back being protected. I appreciate that the artists committed to keeping some red on Baraka's person even as he's decked out in a ton of dark gray metal and fabric. It ensures the design maintains some readability from a distance.

Shao Kahn...
render2oxjuf.png
renderxfjt1.jpg

It seems Shao Kahn's new design basically just builds off of the one introduced in Deception. The rope tassels around the loincloth have been removed, and his shoulder pads have a more noticeable curve (making the spikes even more dangerously close to Shao Kahn's face than before). The lighting of the render on the right makes the red on his armor and cape a lot more clearly visible as well.

And finally, we have one non-playable kharacter who was planned to be added to the roster as DLC before the game's support was cut short:

Quan Chi...
mkda-render059yjte.jpg
wkjyx.jpg

The loincloth has gone from large and green to thin and black. His kneepads have gotten spikier and his boots have gotten less spiky, while his gloves have gotten slightly longer and his bandolier is smaller and closer to his face (again with the villains and their wanton disregard for puncture wounds). It's a minor facelift and one that will pretty much be carried over wholesale for Quan Chi's appearance in the next game.

And that's it for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Pretty solid set of redesigns for the roughly dozen returning fighters, Sonya aside. When we return, we jump into the newly formed NetherRealm Studios' inaugural entry into the franchise that would canonically turn the clock back to reexperience a very retooled version of the original trilogy.

Nov. 17th, 2021 - What's this, an update?
Here we are again to provide some more design evolution commentary, this time for the DC heroes. I had forgotten that some of them had at least one prior fighting game appearance that I could draw comparisons to. In this case, I'll be citing 1995's Justice League Task Force (no relation to the similarly named comic series from DC). Unfortunately, I can't find any isolated art from this game, so we'll have to make do with static sprites.

For reference, here is what the cover looked like, in all its 90s glory. Alongside it is a screenshot to give a better idea of what the game looked like in motion also in static form:
220px-justice_league_2ikzb.jpg
justice_league_task_fabjtc.jpg

Superman...
jltfsupermanc4ka2.png
renderhqj4x.jpg

The Man of Steel enters the world of Mortal Kombat in what will probably remain his most traditional depiction from its development team. Between 1994 and 2008, Superman's costume remained relatively traditional outside of a few detours, and since MKvsDCU was a snapshot of a pre-New 52 DC Universe, not much was changed in the interim for his video game appearances outside of losing the mullet.

Batman...
jltfbatman8tjwa.png
renderx0jib.jpg

Parts of Batman's costume in Task Force (both in-game and to a lesser extent on the cover art) have a dark blue, calling back to his earlier color scheme from the comics. His Mortal Kombat debut gives him the more modernly used black and gray suit and removes the yellow around the enlarged Bat insignia, effectively creating a more realistic take on the post-1996 DC Animated Universe Batman.

Wonder Woman...
jltfwonderwomanorkcw.png
renderv1k40.jpg

Largely unchanged in the fighting game sphere since the 90s, Wonder Woman got but a few more details owing to the enhanced graphical fidelity. There's more prominent eagle plating on the leotard and the lining on her boots has gone from white to gold.

The Flash(es)...
jltfflashfkkvs.png
render2okvj.jpg

Since Task Force released at a time when the Silver Age and probably most well-known bearer of the Flash mantle Barry Allen was still canonically dead, his nephew and former sidekick Wally West/Kid Flash held the title, lining up with his (at that point) decadelong tenure in the comics. Above on the left is Wally West, above on the right is Barry Allen. Midway seemed to prefer having recognizable, iconic designs for the Mortal Kombat and DCU sides, so Flash looks like Flash in both eras regardless of who wears the suit. Barry's 2008 game suit does have added gold bracers to his gloves, though, making the rest of his suit look a little less monochromatic up top. The lightning belt seems to have been lowered as well, while gold rings were added to the sleeves of the suit.

Darkseid...
jltfdarkseidbcjtn.png
renderwwjsi.jpg

And finally, we have the final boss (or one half of them in the incumbent game's case), Darkseid. Our would-be conqueror maybe saw more deviation from his Task Force design than the others, supplanting the blue tone of his armor with a blue-gray and adorning himself with armored shoulder pads, wristguards, and our perennial friend the loincloth. Darkseid already looked like a Mortal Kombat kharacter, and here he's even posing similarly to Shao Kahn. The evolution in graphics has also allowed us to see just how craggy his skin is.

And that (hopefully) is it for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Midway hewed pretty closely to the generally understood visual shorthand for most of the DC characters for its first spin on them, which was understandable given these were meant to be the "genuine articles" going up against Scorpion and friends. Midway's successor NetherRealm Studios would take a less derivative approach less than five years after the release of this game, but that's for another time.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Midway needs to go to horny jail for MK vs DC's Sonya. The game's rated T and they were out here putting her in a see-through shirt lol.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The dangling cloth in front of the groin area looks cool, but I feel like they overdo it way too much. It's like most of the characters got them.