• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the original 7 has gotten the most consistently good redesigns?

• Liu Kang

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Raiden

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Sonya

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Johnny

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Sub-Zero

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Kano

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I'd completely forgotten that, then I googled it and...
bio7.jpg

Holy shit, that's awful. The oversized mask, as emperor bohe said, and the weirdly-sized pads on his shirt completely kill this design. Then thin black lines on his arm guards also look kinda weak when compared to the original UMK3 design.

This is what I think of when I think of UMK3 ninjas:
versus.png

Seeing Tremor's design in MK9's tower challenges really got me daydreaming about UMK3's ninjas in today's graphics.
I don't really mind the padding. It's roughly how I'd imagine the UMK3 ninja kostumes looking in the 90s films, so there's some novelty to that. The masks I do agree look really weird.

Also, I've gathered the majority of pictures needed for the MKX post, but it may take longer to post than the other games' breakdowns. Not only because of the fairly large group of kharacters, but also because I need to dedicate time to another project. Apologies in advance.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Sonya Blade...
9gkld.jpg
cnke3.png

No. This sucks. Her designs over the past decade have all sucked in various ways, but few have so succinctly demonstrated their lameness and in doing so highlighted a longstanding problem of the designs that came before like this kostume does. What is this? It's like they just gave up trying to make Sonya look cool or an actual military professional. It doesn't even have the "ornate" fanservicey nature of the Edenian women's kostumes, it's just boring. Designs post-Tobias make Sonya look boring, and the attempts at sexy Halloween military lady somehow exacerbate the boringness. Also, it's a design element -- mostly originating from the 3D era -- I didn't dwell on much before as it was applied to other kharacters, but Sonya's shoes have honking high heels in this game. I find they look out of place on her more so than anyone else in this game, and that's probably down to Sonya ostensibly being more of a no-nonsense "grounded" fighter from Earthrealm. Probably not "fair" on my part, but I was willing to excuse combat stilettos on the kostumes of the outsiders as an in-universe cultural aspect. Kira's existence tosses a harpoon through that line of thinking, but Sonya's redesigns in Shaolin Monks and MKvsDCU (for whatever other issues I had with them) generally looked practical enough as far as footwear was concerned. Now, all the female kharacters basically dress the same, right down to the shoes. But hey, she kept the green pants and lost the thong and tanlines!

The pre-MKX era Mortal Kombat games had their fair share of fanservicy costumes, and post-MK4 Sonya already suffered enough with her constant sexualized costumes, but this one takes the cake as *the worst* costume in the series. As you said, at least with Kitana, Mileena, Jade and Sindel one can explain their costumes with "it's Edenia's fashion" or "Shao-Kahn likes his ladies to wear skimpy clothes", but Sonya is supposed to be a serious, military gal on her mission to capture Kano (and save Jax). And yet she wears a "protective vest" that's barely holding her breast together and nothing more. A simple white T-shirt underneath the vest would already do wonders to the costume.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, a little off topic but since this is the only MK thread alive.
Any opinion on the MK11 at $23 on sale for PS5? Mostly to play the story mode and single player for a few hours and some casual matches with friends?

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Guys, a little off topic but since this is the only MK thread alive.
Any opinion on the MK11 at $23 on sale for PS5? Mostly to play the story mode and single player for a few hours and some casual matches with friends?

Buy it. There's a lot of single-player content there, and live towers and the Krypt give you a lot of incentive to play a couple of Vs CPU matches every now and then without the game becoming boring. I've played the game for 68 hours (according to Steam) and haven't played a single multiplayer match yet.

Mortal Kombat X post (part one)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
mortal_kombat_x_coverlrjnr.png
ezdxasanqjrsg19ujcjt19kk72.jpg
mkxm58jp7.jpg

Despite the name, this is not the Mortal Kombat game to introduce X-ray moves.

...This is what happens when you have no idea how to start a post.

We return to our kostume rundown with the first Mortal Kombat game to see exclusive release on eighth-generation systems. One part loose retelling of Mortal Kombat 4, one part soft reboot to the cosmic reboot, Mortal Kombat X takes place over 20 years after the events of Mortal Kombat 9, where we now see Raiden and the other surviving defenders of Earthrealm do battle against Quan Chi, Shinnok, and the forces of the Netherrealm. Joining them are a menagerie of new kharacters, half of whom are descendants or students of old veterans. This game is, in a word, gritty. All Mortal Kombat games are edgy, but this may be the first one since perhaps the original to really feel grungy, if that makes any sense. The models are more realistic than before. The color palette is far less saturated (keeping in line with NRS' prior game, Injustice: Gods Among Us). The kostumes, while still sporting an assortment of belts and trinkets, have gone for more "weathered" looks. I'd argue it's the first non-DC mainline game in the series to really feel of a new era since Deadly Alliance. Thankfully, finding full-body renders for most of the playable kharacters was far less of a hassle than it was for this game's predecessor, though the lighting of the renders can make the game look less colorful than it actually is. Conversely, there are kharacters that only have concept art for full-body images and they make the game look more colorful than it actually is.

Fair warning to those reading ahead, some of the images and stills used for this threadmarked post and the ones that follow it are a bit gorier than usual due to me sourcing from arcade endings. With the introduction out of the way, let's get to our returning warriors.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62IDJBdGWA

Liu Kang...
200-2000985_mortal-korwk8z.jpg
tower_tnqzjn3.png

This may be the most drastic overhaul for our Shaolin friend since he started wearing red. For the first time since MK4, Liu Kang is wearing a shirt, and unlike his spartan tank top from the former game, he's gained a tunic in his signature colors. Said tunic is black on red on black and sports a dragon pattern. It's a suitable look for Earthrealm's former champion...but technically, it's not his real look in the game. As MKX takes place after the mass slaughter (another one) that occurred in the last third of MK9's story, Liu Kang is one of several kombatants turned into Revenants, undead servants of Quan Chi with just enough free will to reject the heroic ideals of their past lives. As MKX starts its plot with a few of the Revenants restored to their living selves, NRS opted to give everyone "what if" kostumes depicting how they would look if they had survived past their prime -- possibly as a means of subverting spoilers on who died to begin with and who would be resurrected. For the purposes of the kharacter select screen, Liu Kang gets to be a middle-aged Shaolin monk who didn't fall prey to his inner demons. It's a fine update for Raiden's chosen champion. I like the little bits of continuity from his other kostumes as well, such as the leg bindings, the brown wristguards, and of course the red headband.

Raiden...
56jcn.png
tower2_tnqoj2c.png

Raiden's largely traded the metal and leather shoulder pads of past designs for raw ornate patterning of fabric. His overtunic has gained a lightning and cloud motif to really hammer in the God of Thunder moniker. The rope belts of the MKvsDCU design have also returned, giving Raiden...ropes, err earthly bindings, let's call them that. His shinguards and wristguards have also gained extensive gold embossing. His hat also appears to have gained a deeper shape, and the render seen above gives viewers a glimpse at the interior of the hat, including a head brace to provide an explanation for just how such a thing stays on Raiden's cowled head at all times. I like this design a fair deal for achieving the often-difficult balancing act of making a kostume look gritty and fantastical at the same time. Really, Raiden's probably got more going on in the MKX design than he's had in any of his previous designs outside of Deadly Alliance. It's not even a particularly huge departure from the previous game's design, they've got the same general color layout and everything. This kostume is just taking advantage of the 8th generation systems' power to really add more detail where it wasn't as present before, but also had the foresight to tie the added detail back into an actual longstanding kharacter element of Raiden. Simple conveying of personality through kharacter design at work.

Dark Raiden...
zsklu.png
1ijrr.jpg

Finally, a game with a color palette as dark as Dark Raiden. He's swapped out the navy blue for extensive red and gold trim everywhere, his decked-out hat very much included. I'm so used to seeing him in MKX with its less saturated colors that I hardly even noticed the red on his armor. Good thing we've got concept art to help us out. His black armor is decked out with additional red plating (plating that's closer to a very dark oxblood shade in-game) that honestly wouldn't look out of place on Shao Kahn; it wouldn't surprise me if the art team took some inspiration from Dark Raiden for the latter's design in MK11. I like it, it's angry, militarized, take-no-prisoners Raiden once more. I do miss the tattered cape, though I suppose since the rebooted timeline's Raiden never wears one to begin with it makes sense to forgo it.

Sonya...
gukqu.png
ss1qvj4f.png
tower_tnf6j6b.png

I don't even know what to say.

It's Sonya dressed in actual military attire, and it's great. Just a hardened warrior dressed to kick you in the face with those combat boots. This might be the biggest U-turn in designs between MK9 and MKX, and I think it paid off. General Sonya Blade has risen up the ranks of the Outer World Investigation Agency to train the next generation of kombatants, including her and Johnny's daughter Cassie and Jax's daughter Jacqui. She's come a long way and I'm proud of her. If there's any problem with this design, it's that it's maybe too grounded, and I'm only saying that because it's mostly all black. Suitable for the hyper-serious professional Sonya is (especially in this game), but a splash of green might've added just the right amount of flair. Shout-outs to her new hat and that incredibly long braid she's sporting.

Johnny Cage...
gckv3.png
tower2_tnfck87.png

Much like Liu Kang, Johnny's also taken some steps away from the template MKII set for him. His exercise pants have been retired for military gear, reflecting his shift from fish-out-of-water martial arts movie star to committed member of the Special Forces. Thankfully, his new attire made sure to keep his signature color prominent. Seeing Johnny with a shirt on in his default outfit is one of those rare occurrences, like a cleanshaven leprechaun. It's an action movie Johnny for the action movie that MKX's story mode basically is. The vest keeps things from looking too simple and the arm wrappings have been retained to keep continuity with the older designs (and they've been paired up with some fingerless gloves for good measure). This is as good as "normal" Johnny Cage with his usual color scheme is probably ever going to look without literally just being a dude in black jeans.

Scorpion... Hanzo Hasashi...
g4k6t.png
tower_tn8ejes.png

While many of the "normal" veterans got more restrained looks, the ninjas largely look like themselves. Even this game can't override the power of yellow. Scorpion's default here has traded that spandexy fabric everyone in MK9 had for straps out the wazoo. Even his shoulder pads have straps. It almost makes the pants look a little naked by comparison. I'd say my favorite parts of this design are around the head. In some bout of possibly nostalgic inspiration, the designers opted to make Scorpion's cowl into more of a reaper's hood (evoking his looser cowl from MK1, if possibly accidentally) and outfitted him with a golden mask featuring ornate detailing. It's interesting to see how shiny the mask looks compared to how weathered the rest of his kostume is. It's probably the most "take a general template and apply next-gen grit to it" redesign in the game, and I'd say it works. Scorpion looks like Scorpion, and no amount of art style shifts will ever change that. It should be noted that he never actually wears this kostume in the game's story mode. Thanks to the intervention of Raiden and Sonya, Scorpion is no more, and Hanzo Hasashi reigns. We get an actual human form of the Shirai Ryu grandmaster seen in the mainline games (beyond ending stills) for the first time:

8aj03.gif
veju2.jpg

Hanzo's look is a less armored (and unmasked!) version of the default Scorpion. In some respects, I prefer it. It toes the line between evoking the familiar (the overtunic is pretty klassic now that I take a look at it) and doing something completely different -- seriously, we got unmasked Scorpion without his head being a skull for once. It's Scorpion with the roughly 20 years of skeleton motifs peeled away to restore the man within.

Sub-Zero...
zkkoc.jpg
towermfkns.png

Kuai Liang has been restored to his human self after a bout with cyberization. His general kostume layout from MK9 has been retained, though the softer cloth has been supplanted by what I will affectionately refer to as ridged bubble leather. The outfit is adorned with what might be the Dragon Medallion (the power-enhancing artifact Kuai Liang gained upon becoming Grandmaster in the original timeline), which is a nice touch. Also of note are the menagerie of knives on Sub-Zero's wristguards and the return of our old friend, metal-plated boots. Sub-Zero's cowl has even retained the tassels to evoke the design of a headband, maintaining some distinctiveness for his silhouette once again. This might actually be my favorite default design for Kuai Liang, but again I must stress that this kostume is not featured prominently in the game beyond the select screen and promotional material. Once he stops being a Revenant, Kuai Liang usually looks like this in the story mode:

d0b6479d131bbcd6a35c5d6kb8.png

The suspenders have been perfected. It's glorious. I almost wish they'd gone with this for the default, 'cause now fewer people will know the glory of Billy Mays Sub-Zero. Really, it's a nice take on the MK3 look. Lots of silver to complement the blue -- including some pretty snowflake designs on the pads* -- and his black pants have some simple but effective blue trim on the front, a design element that reminds me of the older games in just how simple but pretty it is. A good retooling all around.

*Upon taking a closer look today (Sept. 6th, 2021), I can say that those are in fact not snowflakes but actual text. My bad.

Reptile...
nvkb7.png
tower_tnsmjia.png

One of my favorite things about this series is just waiting for a new entry to drop so I can see what crazy stuff they do with Reptile. All things considered, Reptile didn't get too wild in this entry. It seems someone on the design team got nostalgic for his Deadly Alliance alt, 'cause the bones are back en vogue. They're amusingly layered in a similar way to his old ninja tunics, which inadvertently gives the outfit more of a "modernized" look than the aforementioned alt. Reptile seems to have gained some gold trim around his belt and wristguards, which helps his outfit look a little more readable from a distance given how dark it is now. Of all the kharacters in this game, Reptile seems to have gotten hit the hardest by this game's desaturation initiative and his default outfit actually sports no green for the first time since MK4. In a game with colors this muted, I do wonder how green on green would've even looked. The black works, Reptile just feels a little naked without his signature color on his clothing.

While Reptile's facial features seem to have gotten marginally more humanlike (and that's largely down to the eyes being more front-facing again), he's otherwise retained the scaly skin and birdlike mask that he had in MK9. I actually really do like how his mask opens up on its own to allow him to use his tongue and acid spit with minimal fuss. Not a bad take on our lizard friend, though I'd personally add just a few streaks of green on the outfit proper to help it pop more.

...Oh, and since people brought it up earlier, I guess I'll do a brief comparison of Reptile's retro skins in this game and MK4:

5ij5d.jpg
k3j6v.jpg

Gosh, I did not intend to do so many alternate showcases today. Anyways, both games opted to give Reptile klassic alts based on his appearance in UMK3, but retained his reptilian features underneath the outfit. Both of these kostumes are technically off-model. MK4's rendition retains the general silhouette better, but replaced the black undersuit with one in dark green, adding a third shade of green to Reptile. I do like the shade of green used, but it might have been one shade too many for the late 90s graphics featured in MK4. Would love to see NRS try it again in a modern game, though. MKX's take keeps the old color scheme for the suit, but makes various minor tweaks: thinner lines on the wristguards and tunic pads, and a higher raised mask (also segmented to accommodate Reptile's moveset and pre-match dialogue). Most of these alterations are present on the UMK3 kostumes for Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Ermac as well, though I'd say Reptile's new mask is an improvement over the oversized cloth masks the others got. I like to pretend that this kostume is basically an MK4 skin for Reptile given it actually retained all of his nonhuman features unlike the similar kostume in MK9 that made Reptile look (mostly) like an average human to match the original trilogy.

Kano...
nekropolisp6kes.png
qzjmd.png
tower_tnlwjxa.png

The art team opted to give Kano a spartan redesign. At least that's what I would say were it not for the big honking heart reactor on his chest. They totally stole that from Hsu Hao and don't think anyone at NRS cares that they did. Our mercenary "friend" here has forgone his MK3-inspired get-up for simple dark camo pants and combat boots, with some metal plating to give his top half something to occupy itself with. The Tower render itself doesn't really show it due to how Kano's posed, but his cybernetic eye implant has gotten extremely busy in this game. A sizable portion of his face's right side has been overtaken by this hunking piece of steel. It honestly looks kind of painful. I don't really have anything extensive to say about Kano, the design is fine but oh my gosh that's a lot of metal.

Kitana...
render14r5j2j.jpg
tower_tntcjp9.png

Hey look, it's Osu 16 Bit's old avatar. I've always gotten an Egyptian vibe from this outfit and frankly, I think it's just the gold ornamentation around Kitana's neck and forehead making me think that. This is a pretty snazzy redesign, one that feels the most regal and "ninja" of any of her default kostumes. She's got pants now. Standard sexy female ninja pants with the sides cut out, but pants! Honestly, the whole outfit looks like parts got cut out given she's basically wearing a bra with some tassels of fabric attached at the front and some gratuitous shoulder armor thrown in for good measure...but I don't hate it? The colors complement each other well, and there's enough fabric that the designers can actually apply additional visual details, like the wood around the waist. I love the mask and the hair sticks and the intricately detailed gloves and the leggings. I'm surprised at how restrained they were with her shoes; just slightly raised sandals compared to the stilettos she's donned in most of her other appearances post-1999. Of all the fantasy comic book ninja princess kostumes with a gray-blue hue, this one may be my favorite.

Mileena...
nekropolisz9koq.png
tower_tnsnke0.png

Mileena's also discovered pants, and they're quite nice. I like the carved stripes on them, which match the similar stripes on her loincloth. Mileena's design in general looks rougher, appropriate given she's an ex-ruler of Outworld with a dwindling amount of allies in the wake of Shao Kahn's death. This story development is possibly reflected in the loss of gold trim. She's largely down to more patrician attire with the most ornate part of her kostume being her Shao Kahn helmet-styled gold belt. Even Mileena's mask looks more stitched together, flouting the post-match plot magic other kharacters have to repair damaged clothing. A great retooling for the one-time Kahnum of Outworld.

Jax...
7bjff.png
tower_tnsnjsr.png

Jax hasn't changed too much. He's gotten more layered cybernetic arms (with an American flag wrapped around one of them) and a military vest, the latter of which makes me think of his depiction in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Don't let this short write-up fool you, this is one of my favorite Jax designs. It definitely gives Jax some additional panache that demonstrates his military background.

Kung Lao...
e1jhc.png
tower_tn7gk3s.png

I've seen so little of MKX's full-body renders over the years that I frankly just assumed Kung Lao's pants were black or red. Little did I know how similar the aged Kung Lao's color palette was to many of his prior designs. Primary difference from his MKII template this time around is that Kung Lao's got actual sleeves. It's a nice retooling of his look. I dig the red padding(?) on his shoulders and the silver dragon design and buttons on the front of his jacket. No real complaints on this one, it's just a solid reworking all around.

...I should note that his hair is far grayer in the actual game than it is in this render, though.

Ermac...
67k22.png
bio1_tnuwjs5.jpg
tower_tnpekr1.png

I do find it interesting that Ermac's default design in this game looks like an evolution of Ermac's alternate from MK9, hood and all. Ermac looks like an evil sorcerer (despite his alignment being closer to neutral at worst in this game) and I'd say that's about all he needs. Seriously, the longcoat is great. The loss of the mummy mask is disappointing, though Ermac now looks like a decaying mummy without it I guess. I believe there's lore on this, but Ermac should be weakening due to his creator Shao Kahn being out of the picture. I'm happy to say that I find the red/black balance handled better here than it was in MK9. I also like that his tunic has similar patterning as his robes in Deception and Armageddon, just with gold trim instead of red trim. Loss of ninja wrapping aside, I think this is a solid redesign.

Quan Chi...
65j7t.png
tower_tnclj90.png

The symmetrical shoulder blades are back with a vengeance. Quan Chi is back serving under Shinnok once more and it seems he reunited with his old chestpiece, now adorned with the skull of some unknown creature. He's still shirtless mind you, just with a lot of belts around his torso in place of his old robes. His spiked kneepads have been swapped out will skull kneepads, because Quan Chi has to look like the edgiest necromancer on your local music store's metal album. Lucky for him this is a Mortal Kombat game so he fits right in. The lighting on the render maybe doesn't do justice to how detailed his kilt is. It's pleated layers of metal with gold-trimmed black flames across the pleats with the centerpiece looking like some kind of dragon's tongue. It's rather impressive now that I'm taking a closer look at it. Quan Chi had mostly been treading water visually for the last decade, so this new design is a welcome change of pace.

Shinnok...
f1636c48372cec989e175iwj76.jpg
ubjv8.jpg
tower_tnn1jb6.png

Returning for his first main villain role in a fighting game since MK4 is the fallen Elder God and ruler of the Netherrealm. He's gone for a far more overtly dark design, with a crown that calls to mind the horns of Maleficent. His color scheme has also gotten darker, (sadly) ditching the blue and bright red for the more traditionally evil black and blood red with tons of gold trim. The design on his boots looks like a dozen Venn diagrams overlaid atop one another. I like the look, though there is something understated in the less obviously evil appearance of his wizard design in Armageddon and MK9. Thankfully, Shinnok's Wrathful kostume approximates the look well enough (though keeps the default design's penchant for exposed sides and black instead of blue).

As Shinnok has settled into the role of final boss again, NRS saw fit to give players the ability to fight him in a form that would give him the size increase Ed Boon apparently saw as necessary for endgame opponents:
htjo3.png
xhknl.jpg

From demonic goat mantis to goat lava golem thing. Shinnok's ascended form, referred to as Corrupted Shinnok in MKX, was first seen in Mythologies: Sub-Zero where Bi-Han basically had no choice but to flee from the nigh-implacable being. Now, you face off against a Shao Kahn-sized version of this form as the true final boss of MKX's story and arcade modes. It's weird that Shinnok's loincloth goes from black and gold to red with a transformation, but the red stands out against the dark flesh more so I'll allow it. The horned crown becomes actual horns to fit Shinnok's devilish aspirations and his Amulet is located within his torso. It's simply there for the purposes of whichever selected player kharacter painfully yanking it out of Shinnok upon his defeat. Corrupted Shinnok does remind me of Dark Kahn from MKvsDCU a fair deal, though I'd argue Shinnok here has a more distinct look due to not being exclusively gray and orange.

Kenshi...
dwkp6.jpg
tower_tno3kjm.png

And now we have the sole returning veteran from Deadly Alliance (in the base roster). Kenshi has taken grooming tips from Kuai Liang and also grown a beard to be feared. Equally impressive is his new decked-out attire. Kenshi's embraced a longcoat over a new bodysuit and I must say it worked quite nicely. Once again, the designers didn't hesitate to keep the red prominent even when the black could've easily overtaken the design. If anything, he's probably got more red on him than in any other default design. Much like Ermac, I do wonder if Kenshi's new default kostume took some inspiration from an alt in MK9; in Kenshi's case, an alt only available in the Vita version of the game that also sported a longcoat (sort of) and prominent shoulder pads. The design here is a lot more armored, so armored that it wouldn't have been too out of place in the 3D games where Kenshi made his name. Funny how things pan out.

That's it for the launch roster's returning kharacters. I'll be back with the downloadable and mobile game-exclusive playable fighters. Thank you all for your patience.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome.

many MKX designs are still my favourite. Kano, old Kung Lao, Sonya, Mileena, Shinnok and Quan Chi look the best they've ever looked in this game IMO

Mortal Kombat X post (part two)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Round 2, begin!

Downloadable kharacters

Goro...

unknown10jnf.png
ss1_tnhtk02.png

After nearly a decade without an official playable appearance, the Shokan prince returns as day one DLC. Joy.

Goro has returned to wearing his yin-yang belt (or something that looks very similar from a distance) while retaining his then-recent penchant for red loincloths. Said loincloth is a lot more weathered and asymmetrical compared to the clean look it had in MK9. Goro's spiked armaments have also been replaced with comparatively more practical ridged metallic ones. It's a "restrained" redesign for Goro, who's looking scalier and sweatier than ever.

Tanya...
image1gc8v.png
tower_tnuqkd1.png

The metallic yellow and black are dancing with each other and it's a sight to behold. Tanya, after an extended vacation and a prominent appearance in MKX's story mode (where she had lighter skin and no whited-out eyes for some reason), returned as the first non-guest fighter of Kombat Pack 1. Her attire has taken on a sort of leathery...something. Really just a layered fantasy crop top and dark pants with a modified sarong for good measure, with nothing but yellow and black and a dash of gold to fight for supremacy. It's impressive how interesting you can make an outfit look with just two major colors. Even the heels serve a purpose due to their use in one of the series' gnarliest Fatalities. Welcome back, Tanya.

Tremor...
4mjaf.jpg
tower_tntgjne.png

Our brown ninja Lin Kuei has finally made it to the big leagues. Six mainline games and two rounds of DLC after his 2000 debut, Tremor has arrived to take a fully playable role and gains a completely unique design of his own. It's a mix of MK ninja gear with some Black Dragon grit. Look at those combat boots. Actually, no. Look at those striped pants. Tremor is very brown in this game. His kostume has about four different shades alone, worn over his brown earth Elemental skin. He's like an action figure sculpted out of mud. The sides of his kilt notably have a quilted pattern akin to the MKII ninjas' overtunics. It's a fine redesign for the last of the Tobias-era ninjas, and thanks to the Variation system, Tremor's skin can gain a golden or crystalline texture that helps him stand out more.

Bo' Rai Cho...
z1krq.png
ss1_tn5xjbo.png
tower_tn8ljzj.png

Bo' Rai Cho was made playable again with the arrival of Kombat Pack 2 as the sole returning kharacter of that bunch (err, sort of). His design has gone for something a little more ostentatious than his garb in MK9, but not to the same extent as his default from his later 3D-era days. The kostume itself seems to be a mix of Deadly Alliance and Deception's color schemes, a mostly humble shirt and vest with brown pants and some gold trim. If anything, the angling of the Tower render belies the level of detail present on the kostume; there's some fairly intricate patterning on the shirt's front and sleeves. It's a clean look overall and one befitting of Bo' Rai Cho. Bo' Rai Cho himself has generally been depicted as a sagely and competent mentor figure in canon in spite of his drunken master archetype and the longstanding toilet humor prevalent in his moveset, so the design works.

Triborg...
ss1_tn69jy7.png

And so we meet the Chameleon/Khameleon equivalent of the Cyber Lin Kuei. Triborg is basically an updated version of the Cyber Lin Kuei's designs from MK9, but with much more monochromatic armor. He's a chimera of a robot, containing the data of Cyrax, Sektor, and Cyber Smoke. Not only does he have access to their moves, but his Variations allow him to effectively take their forms, which means I have to compare all of them with their prior designs.

Cyrax
j1j7f.png
render359kn5.png

Cyrax himself passed away in between games as detailed in the MKX comic series, and it seems his data was retrieved by the remnants of the Lin Kuei in the interim. Triborg's LK-4D4 Variation retains many of the design elements that Cyrax gained in the reboot, most notably the perpetually glowing green eyes. There's far less yellow armoring around the lower torso area while also adding more yellow around the crotch, inadvertently creating another bikini situation for our metallic friend here. The armor itself looks to have a more gold finish this time around, which is a neat change of pace if nothing else.

Sektor
xfjbh.png
render12fksm.png

Sektor's shoulder pads have been largely downplayed and his/Triborg's body has taken more cues from Cyrax's. One element consistent between the Variations is glowing lights on the chest and sides of the legs that match the cyborgs' respective eye colors. Also, the cyborgs' plating looks a lot more weathered in this game despite the shinier exterior, with missing paint visible.

Cyber Smoke
j91xgpnzjfs61alkxt.jpg
render4hlkyv.png

Despite Cyber Smoke not existing in the post-Armageddon timeline, the Lin Kuei have seemingly gained his data for Triborg's programming. Eh, it's better not to think about it too hard. "Cyber Smoke" has basically gotten the reboot glow-up that his brethren got previously. It's odd to see how Cyber Smoke's palette gets darker with each redesign, going from that bluish purple in MK3 to the navy blue in Deception to an onyx-hued gray in MKX. I'd argue this Variation looks a little too similar to base Triborg. Odd as it could be, the old MK3 colors might've fared better to differentiate three/four largely similar recolored forms.

Cyber Sub-Zero
2443776sitc.jpg
cybersub-zeromk9hki4i.png
mobile_04tn1yk6k.png

I love secret fighters. Having Triborg's opponent be Sub-Zero on the kharacter select screen will reveal a fourth Variation -- the only fourth Variation in the game -- for Triborg to utilize, that being Kuai Liang's former robot form. Our Cyber Sub-Zero surrogate here has forgone the blue and silver color scheme for a combination of black and a lighter shade of blue. Not bad, but Cyber Sub-Zero had such a (relatively) unique look in MK9, so it's a bit sad to see it as homogenized as the others.

And that's it for the playable fighters of the console and PC versions of Mortal Kombat X. Launched shortly before the console/PC version was the mobile game aptly titled Mortal Kombat Mobile (originally just titled Mortal Kombat X like the home versions before dropping the "X" as the mobile game would get support into MK11's lifecycle). It largely retained the roster of the HD versions but also added in a few exclusive playable kharacters, some of whom were already featured in the main game in other ways, and some who were not.

Mobile-exclusive playable kharacters

Jade...

l9j3j.png
tn_jade_au9kif.png
jade_energyxokcs.png

An apparition of Jade does appear in Kitana's Tower ending in the home versions, but she's just decked out in her MK9 attire. For her appearance in the mobile game, the designers have given Jade a whole new look. She's dressed in what I will colloquially refer to as a halter top corset with gold trim galore, and in a series first, she's got pants. Lovely pants that have a nice spandexy look to them. I like that they seem to have retained her MK9 mask, and the gold plating around her arms is a nice touch. It might just be the general glossiness of the 2D art at play, but Jade's kostume here looks like it would've fit right in with everyone else's threads in MK9 due to all of the shiny fabric. In this case, that's not a bad thing. That's not a bad thing at all.

Baraka...
58kwc.jpg
06j8q.jpg

The Deception influence is palpable. The armored chestplate, red pants, and loincloth (take a shot) return, souped-up with added plating and tons of rope. Probably one of the first notable reworkings of a 3D-era kostume in the reboot trilogy that wasn't just a direct port like Quan Chi's MK9 default. All in all, it's a nice retool of one of my favorite Baraka designs.

Kintaro...
zskux.jpg
tn_kintaro0ijkl.png

He's gone back to just rocking the black undies and that seems to be the primary difference between the MKX and MK9 designs. What I think is more notable is the fact that Kintaro seems to have graying fur on some areas of his body, including the sides of his head. Kintaro's got old man sideburns and you can't change my mind.

Shao Kahn...
i8kqg.jpg
37kk2.png

Shao Kahn is largely unchanged in promotional renders outside of the black stripe on his loincloth becoming more prominent. In the mobile game proper, his model's helmet may have a slightly different crest shape, but that's about it as far as I can tell.

Freddy Krueger...
render380ojmt.jpg
3qj2u.png
14j54.png

And now we can talk about the series' second proper guest fighter. As part of MK9's DLC rollout, horror movie icon Freddy Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street appeared to terrorize his fellow violence addicts. Generally in fighting game franchises guests are one-time deals, but Freddy was able to sneak back into Mortal Kombat via the mobile game. His appearance in the mobile game was initially largely unchanged from his MK9 design, which was itself heavily based on Jackie Earl Haley's likeness as Freddy from the 2010 Elm Street remake. At some point during the mobile game's life, Freddy's design was updated to more closely match the features of his original portrayer Robert Englund, seen above on the far right. I'm no Elm Street aficionado and I really don't want to rank the likenesses of actual people, so I'm not going to say which "kostume" is better.

Thank you for your patience. Next time we'll cover the non-playable kharacters featured in the home and mobile versions of the game. Happy Juneteenth, everyone.

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat X post (part three, now with Sheeva, Meat, King Gorbak, & Suchin)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
NeoChaos Did the images ever show up on your end?

And we now return to discuss the final batch of kharacters for this game. Content warning for some gory images below.

Non-playable kharacters

Shang Tsung...

nekropolisvsj5d.png
6wkip.png

Shang Tsung appears in multiple kharacter endings. In Ermac's ending, he's butt-naked. In Erron Black's ending, he basically looks exactly like his young self did in MK9. But in Raiden's ending, he appears again with a slightly modified outfit. The gold patterning and red trim are gone from the top of the kostume is what I mean to say. Moving on.

Smoke...
7ijab.png
e6jcp.jpg
nnj0i.png

Smoke was one of several MK kharacters to fall victim to Sindel's lunacy in the last part of MK9's story mode and not come back as playable fighters in MKX. Since Smoke died in his more armored alt kostume, his Revenant form keeps it. Smoke's alt was always pretty interesting, opting for a darker gray and a more traditional cowl and mask to evoke the standard Lin Kuei appearance. I generally prefer his default for having a more unique look with the flowing hair, but the alt is fine as well. All Revenants in MKX have glowing yellow eyes and veins, and I'd say "Enenra" here got a neat color contrast because of them. The middle picture above is a non-Revenant Smoke making a brief appearance through Mortal Kombat X's Faction Kill gameplay feature. He's still rocking the MK9 alt.

Stryker...
nekropoliswej5f.png
pojya.png

Stryker is largely unchanged outside of being, you know, undead and all.

Nightwolf...
fujei.png
5gk0a.png

His wristguards have somehow gotten darker than they were before. His tomahawks also take on a sinister red glow when used in cutscenes.

Kabal...
q2ji1.png
kabalmkxrevenantrwkyj.png

Largely unchanged, and the nature of the Revenants brings up a few issues. Was Jax "reborn" with his prosthetics, or did two of his fellow servants of darkness just rip his arms off again upon resurrection? And Kabal is still rocking his respirator and visibly burned skin (now with glowing lesions, 'cause that's not horrifying), which makes Cyber Sub-Zero getting a new organic body -- due to the artificial one being incompatible with Quan Chi's magic over a long period of time -- feel like very auspicious fortuity on Kuai Liang's part.

Sindel...
image17dgkv6.jpg
eakbx.png

The only non-playable Revenant to actually get a notably modified design, Sindel's new threads are basically a composite between her default from MK9 (as seen above on the left) and her mesh-heavy alternate kostume from the same game. Mesh has been added to her torso and arms to provide modesty, and it looks like a layer of mesh has been outfitted against the purple armor itself, giving it an interesting texture when viewed up close. Her neck also has some black fabric around it. Not a bad take on her MK9 default.

Rain...
51kzr.png
i3kh1.png

The Armageddon influence came back with a vengeance. Rain's sporting a hard mask that's stretched out enough to kind of look like a veil, which is a design element just out-there enough for me to appreciate. His cloak-cape from Armageddon also returns, though applied to a bare back this time around. I'm really digging the gold ornamentation he's got around, especially the lightning bolt insignia at the end of his loincloth (likely referencing his longtime Shocking Bolt/Lightning/Purple Pain attack). Another princely fashion success for Edenia's biggest douchebag.

Fujin...
qlkrd.jpg
0rkaf.jpg
phj4p.jpg

I had to post the in-game model because holy smokes his pants are not as blue in the game as they are in the concept art. Does anyone else notice how when any work of fiction opts to go for "realistic" shades, blue is always the first color to get darkened to the point where it barely looks blue anymore? Anyway, Fujin's gotten his first wholly new design of the post-Armageddon era, and it's largely following a similar color template as all the other designs. Though this time, the red is slightly downplayed due to the large black straps overlaid atop (the straps seem to be larger in the final game than they are in the concept art). He's also got metal wristguards and shinguards as per the Mortal Kombat standard, plus a thin headband. Not a bad redesign, but one whose color scheme maybe suffered due to this game's palette not favoring vibrant blues.

Sareena...
mpkza.png
mtktj.jpg

Sareena appears during the story mode as an ally of Special Forces attempting to relocate Outworld refugees before she helps Sonya and co. fight off the Revenants. Her whole deal with Quan Chi and the Brotherhood of Shadow is decades old by this point in this timeline, which does make her continued wearing of the uniform a bit confusing, but I digress. It's a pleasant redesign that adds more red by virtue of the added accessories like the sleeves. Her corset is longer and less form-fitting and her boots have also been made shorter, with the rest of the leg fabric length handled by tall stockings that I mistook for pants for years. By all accounts, this is just the Armageddon design with some added fabric thrown on. This is also my favorite Sareena design because it's just the Armageddon design with some added fabric thrown on. No more ass window!

Li Mei...
render21tj6g.png
rikp7.jpg

Our Outworld everywoman has returned as a representative of her displaced people during the Netherrealm War. Li Mei's design in MKX seems to be taking more inspiration from Deadly Alliance than Deception, and as such we see the return of segmented patterning on the pants (plus the presence of pants in general) and a sash. Her design is far less visually busy than it was in Deadly Alliance -- excessive amounts of body straps aside, which makes me wonder if whoever specifically happened to be in charge of designing her and Bi-Han liked straps. Less derivatively, Li Mei's dressed in what I can only surmise to be a changshan crop top with a purple and black color scheme. It's a rather low-key design for her, though she's not playable here and in the context of this timeline is seemingly just another Outworld citizen. It is interesting if nothing else to see her heels and notice the dichotomy at play between the Earthrealm women -- who are largely Special Forces and never wear them in their defaults in this game or MK11, former stiletto lover Sonya included -- and the non-Earthrealm women. Even the non-kombatants seem to have them by default, whether the players ever really see their feet in-game or not.

Frost...
mkda-render39iwj2w.jpg
iujrk.jpg

After over a decade of rocking the same outfit, Frost finally gets a new uniform. It's basically got the same general look as her old one, just with Sub-Zero's bubble fabric applied to it and the black spandex extending around her sides to reduce the sideboob. A good reworking of one of Deadly Alliance's better newcomer default kostumes, and fortuitous too as MKX would be the last game to date to feature a traditional Frost upfront.

Blaze...
r8j1d.png
xsjjs.png

Yeah, remember when I said Blaze's more golem-like appearance in Armageddon would serve as the template for his subsequent looks? I apparently had a lapse in memory, 'cause the Blaze we have here (seen in the background of the Pit X stage) just looks like a charred man on fire.

Shujinko...
render2jtkyh.png
r9jj3.png
Shujinko appears in Cassie's ending, where Dark Raiden sics her on him to stop him from inadvertently releasing Onaga. Outside of some lighter trim on his robes, his design seems unchanged.

Taven...
s7kg6.png
xkkkg.png
t4jcw.gif

Taven, one of the sons of Edenia's Protector God Argus, was the lead kharacter of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon's Konquest Mode. Awakened to defeat Blaze and bring balance to the realms before the other kombatants' squabbling destroys them, Taven's got a pretty low-key design. Black robes with some snazzy gold trim and a necklace, and that design was kept for his appearance in Kenshi's MKX ending. Not a bad design, just very basic. His golden dragon armor alt from Armageddon definitely stood out more.

Daegon...
cutoutqmksf.png
6bjso.png
8gjmo.gif
And now we have Taven's brother and founder of the Red Dragon Clan, Daegon. His design is certainly a lot more elaborate. I always dug his coat cape, and the studded shoulder pads and wristguards are cool as well. After appearing as a background cameo in MK9's Pit stage, Daegon appeared alongside his brother in Kenshi's ending -- the man being decapitated in the rightmost image seen above is Argus -- where known Red Dragon-hater Kenshi slays him. His appearance in MKX darkens his pants considerably and provides him a new armored kilt, and while the ending image is a bit fuzzy, his shoulder pad studs are far more jagged than they were in Armageddon as well. I'd also point out the lack of gold insignia on his belt, but another still shows him with it.

Suchin...
l8kum.jpg
h8kih.png
Suchin was Kenshi's late wife and the mother of newcomer Takeda. She made her first on-screen appearance in the MKX comic, protecting a young Takeda from Red Dragon members before dying of a gunshot wound. In MKX the game, she appears in Kenshi's Tower ending, getting impaled by Daegon. In the comic, she was dressed in a light T-shirt and long black skirt, while in the game she appears wearing a purple kimono.

And finally, we have four former fighters and an NPK -- the latter previously exclusive to non-game media -- who only made card appearances in the mobile game:

Noob Saibot...
2dkks.png
ocj2j.png

Noob's basically wearing a black version of his brother's MKX uniform with a reaper hood. Clever way to reinforce a connection between the two and give Bi-Han a "new" design with minimal fuss.

Sheeva...
nekropolisdhj10.png
pgjbp.png

Featured in a Kombat Kard depicting her with her fellow Shokan, Sheeva's "cameo" just decked her out in her alt kostume of straps, hip guards, and a loincloth from MK9. It's a lateral move at best.

Khameleon...
phji9.jpg
hvjz2.png

Reptile's fellow Zaterran and possible "brood mate" has returned with an easy composite of her Trilogy and Armageddon designs: Mask and hair bun from the former, green outfit and translucent skin from the latter. Not bad, though I do miss the wild Medusa hair.

Meat...
rejaz.jpg
meatmkxqvkgw.png

I guess he never got that eye fixed. The rest of his head (image taken from a Kombat Kard, likely from Mortal Kombat Mobile) notably looks more developed for lack of a better term. Fuller lips, more visible cartilage. Kind of reminds me of Sebastian midway through Hollow Man.

King Gorbak...
08jf4.png
gpj2c.png

Goro's occasionally seen father made his video game debut as a Kombat Kard after spending the preceding twenty years hanging out in the series' comic book adaptations. In between showing up for MKII and MKX's adaptations (where he generally wore a gold crown and either a magenta or red cape), Gorbak made his first appearance in moving visual media via the 1995 direct-to-video feature Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins. As The Journey Begins used CGI for all of its flashback sequences, Gorbak got to be rendered in 3D alongside his sons. For his brief appearance, he looked no different from the other Shokan, likely down to a cost-saving measure given his minimal screentime. The Kombat Kard headshot on the other hand would be more faithful to the 90s and 2010s comic designs for the kharacter, though a large red gem would be added to the center of the crown.

So that's that. We've gone over a lot of retools of kharacters, mostly the female kharacters, and some attempts at "grounding" these fantasy warriors. And it worked? Like, I can still recognize everyone. Liu Kang looks like Liu Kang, Scorpion and Sub-Zero still look like action figures, Mileena still looks like Mileena. Consistency of color scheme and personality traits as expressed through kostume design can do wonders for a lot of fictional characters, and even "gritty" games can indulge themselves in the fantastical. So that's it for Mortal Kombat X. Only one game remains.

Last edited:

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Fun fact: Jade's MKX look from the mobile game is actually one of the unsed concepts of Li Mei

db7wnef-d2214689-5f82-4a49-9869-312367f3eb3e_lt6w.jpg

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Hehe, yeah. Me too.

Given how complex that game's roster of kharacters is, using past/present designs, and then comparing those with past entries... I wonder how OP is gonna tackle that.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I apologize for bumping this thread with nothing to say about the MK11 designs, things are still a bit congested on my end. But while I was gathering images for comparisons, I realized that I never talked about Kratos in MK9, who does have one prior fighting game appearance to provide a point for comparison. As such, MK9's third part has been updated to include him. When I get to MK11, Spawn will also be included to compare him with his incarnation from Soulcalibur II.

July 14th update: I've added Kia and Jataaka to Armageddon's second part as well.
July 15th update: Blaze and Hornbuckle have been added to Shaolin Monks' section.
July 16th update: The Lin Kuei Grandmaster and Great Kung Lao have been added to MK9's third part.
August 11th update: Meat added to Deception's section, MK9's third part, and MKX's third part; Armageddon's second part edited for continuity purposes.
August 16th update: Sheeva and Suchin added to MKX's third part.
August 18th update: Zombie Liu Kang added to MK11's first part.

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat 11 post (part one)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
KAUTION CAUTION! OPEN SPOILERS FOR MORTAL KOMBAT 11 AND ITS DLC AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

mortal_kombat_11_cove5okks.png
810seonmkil._sl1500_zxjpe.jpg
mortal-kombat-11-ulti28k1i.jpg
logod7kfw.png

Nine sequels, three spin-offs, and a whole lot of synonyms for "clothing" have all led up to this. Mortal Kombat 11, the most recent game in the series as of this writing, is our subject of discussion today. Taking place two years after the events of Mortal Kombat X, this entry continued the work of carrying over its "grounded" design sensibilities while also serving as a sort of culmination of the series as a whole up to this point. The narrative of this game revolves around a "time crash," forcing the older and wiser (and Revenant-ified) veterans of the series and their new-gen colleagues to face the old kombatants and their enemies in their prime. And due to the third act twist of MK9's story mode being an open spoiler through this game and the last, NRS dropped all pretenses and started treating the Revenant forms of kharacters as their defaults on the select screen. As such, we are going to approach this design breakdown a little differently.

Due to the numerous alternate counterparts for fighters' designs, we're going to mix in the "What if they lived to be old?" versions of MKX's kharacters with the non-Revenant MK9 and MK11 designs for those who don't have past and present versions in MK11. For those who do, I'll juxtapose the "past" version with the MK9 design and the "present" version with the MKX design. If this is confusing, I hope seeing it laid out in visuals will do the logic more justice than my words alone could.

Massive thanks to CommandThrower for providing me the full-body shots of the MK11 kast. By their own admission, they were missing Gear pieces and had to approximate some kharacters' looks, though, but the amount of work put in is greatly appreciated. Give them a hand, folks.

Without further ado, it's Kombat Time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X68Wy4U017U

Liu Kang...
200-2000985_mortal-kookjvc.jpg
tower_tnqzjn3.png
fixed_past_liu_kang_begkfb.jpg

The Champion of Mortal Kombat is back once again to fight...himself. Who you're seeing above is a time-displaced Liu Kang brought into the present to face off against his Revenant counterpart, who recently appointed himself Emperor of the Netherrealm. The past versions of veterans are not drawn from the original timeline, but the rebooted timeline, circa the MKII portion of MK9's plot. And in standard Mortal Kombat fashion, veterans' attire during revisited moments is retconned. Liu Kang now dons a white shirt and black vest in addition to his traditional red and black pants, which have themselves gone back to a slightly more classic look. As far as "Liu Kang with a shirt" designs go, it's a happy medium between the more spartan look from MK4 and the more intricate elder Liu Kang seen in MKX. Simple, effective, and possibly my new favorite.

Liu Kang (Revenant)...
imageqvc0b.png
default_liu_kang_by_c9tjg7.jpg

MK11's default Liu Kang is actually his Revenant form, though Revenant Liu Kang was first seen in MKX. Unlike the Revenants of MK9, MKX's renditions gave everyone who was playable new "evil" kostumes to wear, and Liu Kang opted for sleeveless body armor with some red fabric complementing it. Dark overlord of the Hell-equivalent sounds like an action figure, and that's kind of what Revenant Liu Kang is. Notably, the MK11 design posted above is supposed to be Liu Kang after he's taken over the Netherrealm, though it hews closer to the normal Revenant design from MKX than the designated Dark Emperor outfit. I prefer the silver lining of the MK11 kostume, though a part of me wishes they had integrated the red sash of the MKX version to keep more design consistency between Liu Kang's human and undead forms.

Liu Kang (Zombie)...
render2e3j24.png
liukangmk11zombie5ik80.png

Speaking of undead forms, Liu Kang's zombie version (or a close enough facsimile of him) appears in one of Raiden's temporal visions of him and the monk coming to blows in each and every timeline. What appears to be the Pyramid of Argus shows up in the background of the area this version of Liu Kang is toasting Dark Raiden. No chains for this Liu Kang, but he has a really ornate belt and golden cuffs on what's basically a modernized take on his MK9 default design.

But, we're not done yet. At the end of MK11's story mode, we got yet another form of Liu Kang:

Fire God Liu Kang...
t3jgo.jpg
fixed_fire_god_liu_kav1jal.jpg

In Liu Kang's MK9 ending, the what-if possibility of him becoming the Protector God of Earthrealm was floated. In said ending, he takes on a red version of Raiden's attire from that game. Come MK11, the idea of Liu Kang as a deity was a hypothetical no longer. Fire God Liu Kang is the end result of Raiden passing on his godly powers to Past Liu Kang to kombat the threat of Kronika as a single entity (sort of). Fire God Liu Kang's attire is far more Liu Kang than Raiden, though in an amusing inversion, he's gained the former Thunder God's color scheme with the blue lining on the pants and the whitish tattoos. He also gains a bead necklace and carries what seems to be a straw hat of his own like a backpack. It's certainly a majestic take on the standard Liu Kang design. Even his headband has ornaments.

Raiden...
56jcn.png
tower2_tnqoj2c.png
past_raiden_1_by_comm0ajdi.jpg

It's always interesting to see the designers reinterpret a kharacter's look while adhering to their general color scheme and layout, for lack of a better term. Raiden wears two colors, blue on white. That's how it's been since 1993 and I'm honestly impressed that they haven't run out of ideas on how to make it look fresh. This time, Raiden's got a leathery overtunic reminiscent of his vest in Mythologies: Sub-Zero, though with the separate blue parts trailing beside and behind him instead of merely in front of him. Gold trim is lining his vest and boots once again to elaborate effect. The way his boots kind of fold out at the top reminds me of Lucina from Fire Emblem as well now that I take a closer look at them. Also of note is Shinnok's amulet conspicuously adorned on his chest; said amulet was a war trophy taken by Dark Raiden after incapacitating Shinnok and all versions of Raiden in this game wear it as an accessory.

Dark Raiden...
1ijrr.jpg
default_raiden_by_comvojfu.jpg

Let me take a moment to give thanks to this game for having a more saturated color palette, because it's a lot easier to actually read the various colors that make up the kostumes. The red on Dark Raiden in MKX? Could barely make it out due to the mud filter everything in that game had. Now, it's a lot easier to notice. Dark Raiden in MK11 is basically just running with the militarized deity torch the prior design handed forth. I do like that there's a slight green tint to his armor in this game. Or maybe I'm colorblind. Regardless, the slightly brighter red and prominent gold plating make an amusingly colorful Dark Raiden, though that kind of works in his favor. He's not so much shamelessly evil as he is a very unreasonable extremist. He's the hero of his own story.

Sonya...
ss1qvj4f.png
tower_tnf6j6b.png
default_sonya_by_commijju2.jpg

Sonya's probably gotten the least design changes to her kostume in this iteration. The black/midnight blue of her military suit in MKX has given way to a much brighter blue with segmented shades to make the uniform stand out. It's a marked improvement, though I'll miss her longer braid.

Sonya (Past)...
gukqu.png
sonyamk11young2.pngmwj1k.jpg
past_sonya_by_commandabjb6.jpg

Sonya's MK9-era counterpart looks nothing like MK9 Sonya, and still manages to convey the OG trilogy look better. What we've got here feels like a composite of her MK3, Deadly Alliance, and Shaolin Monks designs, bringing headband Sonya and jacket Sonya together for the first time since 2005. It's a young military Sonya if she did underground fights on the side (which she actually does in this game). If I have any grievances with this take on Sonya (standard MK11 design in the middle image above), it's that it's a bit drab in its choice of colors. I know, I know, military fighter, but this is still meant to be "Klassic" Sonya. Some lime green on the pants and headband might've helped her stand out a little more.

Johnny Cage...
tower2_tnfck87.png
default_cage_by_commaawjd2.jpg

Much like Sonya, the elder Johnny's default design looks more like a recolor than a full-on refresh. The most notable change is that you can't get a glimpse of his "Johnny" tattoo anymore, though we've gained a new "Cage" belt buckle in exchange. His pants also have been adorned with kneepads, and his military boots are more visible due to his pants being tucked into them now. Despite mostly just being a color swap from his prior outfit and the presence of other "battle-ready" indicators like the visible dog tag and the aforementioned boots and kneepads, I feel like MK11 Johnny is the kind of guy who's more likely to be seen grilling than hanging around a military base. Like, it might just be the thinner vest and lack of arm wrappings speaking, but MK11 Johnny just looks like he wants to go for a drive to celebrate overcoming his midlife crisis.

Johnny Cage (Past)...
gckv3.png
past_cage_by_commandtcdj2h.jpg

Meanwhile, this Johnny wants to party. Hot dang, I love this design for Johnny Cage. They brought back the white stripes on the pants that MK4's version had and his shinguards have returned to their brighter shade of blue. They even found a way to restore some blue around his waist without having it distract from the buckle. And let's not take anything away from that jacket. It's so shiny, and the three-tone patterning is lovely to look at. It's exactly what a douchebag in the 90s would wear. I'm a douchebag living in 2021, and I want that jacket. Past Johnny is the perfect flashy counterpart to his more reserved older self.

Scorpion...
tower_tn8ejes.png
default_scorpion_by_cvykp3.jpg

Scorpion's traded his belt fixation for metal plating galore. While MK11 largely began to move away from featuring "non-canon" default designs for kharacters, series mascot Scorpion still got a "modern" spectre look to showcase in the reveal trailer that stuck as his appearance on the select screen. I must say, it's been interesting seeing Scorpion embrace red on his uniform, and it works surprisingly well. I like that they continued keeping his cowl looking like a ghostly hood, and his mask resembling the bottom portion of a skull even more than usual is cool.

Scorpion (Past)...
g4k6t.png
fixed_past_scorpion_b0pjq2.jpg

Sleek, simple, and to the point. I imagine NRS and Atomhawk Design had a lot of fun getting to delineate how certain kharacters would look during different parts of their lives. Past Scorpion is not a 1:1 recreation of the original trilogy looks, though it definitely hews closer to them than MK9's rendition did. Retaining the simple overtunic look of the first two games -- and due to how this game's fabric looks, it feels like an accidental homage to the 1995 film as well -- and the skull belt of MK4 (okay, it's closer to Armageddon's belt if anything), this Scorpion is a love letter to the Mortal Kombat of old. It might've risked overlapping with the default version a bit, but I would've personally given this kostume the UMK3 mask to truly make it a composite of the Tobias-era Scorpions. But as is, this is a nice, clean look with enough creative color coordination to not be as basic as the earlier arcade titles' designs.

Hanzo Hasashi...
veju2.jpg
hanzo_hasashi_by_comm07j0r.jpg

Here is the proper present-day Scorpion seen in MK11's story mode. It's not too different from the default Scorpion sans mask, though there's less red on the loincloth and the metal plating on the shoulders is more prominent. Kind of wish they retained MKX Hanzo's headband to give him an extra splash of yellow.

Sub-Zero...
towermfkns.png
default_sub_by_comman0vkbt.jpg

The cowl is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here. The way it doubles as a hat is very unique compared to what Sub-Zero usually gets. I'm also digging the patterning on his shoulder pads, feels like there's a storm cloud motif going on with them there. I like that his knives have the same color scheme as the rest of his uniform. I also like that he's got some white to complement the blue and black this time around as well. Sub-Zero definitely got one of his more unique looks in this game.

Kuai Liang...
d0b6479d131bbcd6a35c5d6kb8.png
kuai_liang_by_commando0ka0.jpg

Unmasked Sub-Zero has a similar kostume to his masked version, though the similarities aren't as strong as they were between Scorpion and Hanzo. This kostume is "cleaner," for lack of a better term, and the white's even more prominent here with less ornate shoulder pads. And unlike Hanzo, he gets a headband. Not a bad alternate kostume, would like to see someone pair it with the default cowl and mask.

Kano...
qzjmd.png
tower_tnlwjxa.png
default_kano_by_commafijjj.jpg

Kano already had one of the less elaborate designs in MKX, and his incarnation in MK11 streamlines him further. No more camo pants, less clunky laser eye implant, smaller chest reactor. It works, though I do think MKX had the better chest reactor. And truth be told, Present Kano looks younger than he did in MKX.

Kano (Past)...
nekropolisp6kes.png
past_kano_by_commandtyzj30.jpg

Probably the first MK11 nostalgia overhaul that more or less matches the MK9 nostalgia overhaul (which means MK3 Kano makes out like a bandit again). MK11's take probably hews closer to the original due to having more fabric in the chest area and maintaining the shoulder pads of doom, to say nothing of the fact that we've got bald Kano in a canon setting for the first time since 1996. Probably the most faithful of the Past warrior redesigns.

And that's all for now. I'll return with the other veterans later, but I have to take a break from the internet. Thank you all for your patience.

Last edited:

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Ahhhhh, finally! So great to read your interpretation and brakedown of this Kostumes.
Art-direction wise, this is the best MK has looked. : )

Mortal Kombat 11 post (part two)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
We're back with the base game kharacters hailing from Mortal Kombat's sequels.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgT1Ffl-KP4

Kitana...
render14r5j2j.jpg
tower_tntcjp9.png
fixed_past_kitana_by_1wj7p.jpg

It seems Kitana and Kasumi from Dead or Alive have been shopping at the same store, given their recent penchant for black and blue bodysuits. Seeing Kitana with actual pants is surreal to say the least. The kostume itself is fine, though notably less ornate than MKX's rendition despite having more surface area to work with. I appreciate the various nods to prior Kitana designs with MK11's Past Kitana: the headband from MKII, the top bun and hair sticks from UMK3 (or in the case of the hair sticks, MK9's take on the UMK3 female ninja uniform), the extensive black segmenting from MKvsDCU, and the mask's silver trim from MK9. Even the bodysuit's shade of blue is closer to the arcade games and Shaolin Monks after several years of gray-blue and baby blue default outfits. Speaking of silver trim, I find that they complement the new boots and wristguards quite nicely. If I have any real gripe with this design, it's the return of the stiletto heels after MKX introduced the tabi sandals. Would've liked to have seen the sandals return to keep Kitana a bit more ninja-esque, though in fairness the boots are closer to what she had in MK9. Another sleek redesign that somehow straddles the line between throwback and evolution.

Kitana (Revenant)...
kitanamk9revenant8tkzb.jpg
23764707478_cff98166chtjwf.jpg
default_kitana_by_comofksu.jpg

Our second Revenant, and the first from MKII. I've generally ignored the undead kombatants' appearances from MK9 because they're just grayer, eviler versions of their usual selves compared to the more unique kostumes they'd receive in later sequels. With that said, I've got three images above for Kitana and two other kharacters solely because the kostumes they died in/were reanimated in during MK9 were alternate kostumes. Above on the far left is Revenant Kitana sporting the alt I mentioned way back in early June, bell sleeves and all. Interestingly enough, her regular appearance as a Revenant in MKX took more cues from the preceding game's default kostume for Kitana, effectively looking like a Revoltized and slightly more conservative take on the bodice and loincloth. MK11's take would in turn draw cues from its predecessor's Dark Empress Kitana skin, giving her actual armor to be more in line with Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Unlike Dark Empress Kitana, this Kitana embraces the deeper shade of blue more openly, embellishing it with liberal streaks of silver. It succeeds in looking like a twisted version of Past Kitana's default attire, right down to the shoulder pads and fingerless gloves.

Jade...
nekropolisc3k7r.png
tn_jade_au9kif.png
jade_energyifjo4.png
past_jade_by_commandtm3jqj.jpg

After largely being a nonentity in MKX's console/PC version, Kitana's longtime friend returns to a playable role. She too had her younger self brought forward in time before her death at the hands of Sindel. This time around, she's abandoned the spandex in favor of a softer, flowier cloth that gives off the appearance of an enigmatic thief. For the first time ever, black has been retired as the main secondary color, and in its place is a purplish-brown shade all over her dress, gloves, boots, and assassin's hood. She's also sporting a pair of shorts underneath the loincloth and breechcloth for the first time ever. An admirable retooling of Jade, though I prefer one of her alternate colors that swaps out the brown for another shade of green to get around the MK9 Ermac problem.

Jade (Revenant)...
h0ks2.jpg
jademkxghostkdj1v.png
default_jade_by_commalak30.jpg

From Slave Leia zombie to apparition to armored undead warrior. I'm sure there's something symbolic here but I can't be bothered to come up with a throughline. As you all know, Jade died in MK9's third act at the hands of Sindel and became a Revenant in the service of Quan Chi shortly after. She is notably missing from the home version of MKX outside of Kitana's Tower ending, appearing as a spirit separated from her body. Her Revenant form proper returns prominently in MK11, serving under Netherrealm rulers Kitana and Liu Kang. Revenant Jade's wardrobe hews far closer to what's been the standard Jade wardrobe since 2004, at least in terms of color palette. Green, black, and gold dance together to form some kind of ragged underworld palace warrior look, complete with tattered cape. Honestly, I kind of prefer it to default Jade's attire due to the green and gold being more prominent. Thankfully, this game allows you to place the Revenant kostume onto human Jade, no mods needed.

Jax...
tower_tnsnjsr.png
default_jax_by_comman2sjpi.jpg
jaxmk11fhkfv.jpg

Present-day Jax is not too different from his appearance in the last game, though he's sporting thicker facial hair and seems to have returned to his darker complexion. As he's retired from military service, he's ditched his military fatigues and gotten a new leather vest. His prosthetic arms are even shinier than before, probably coming the closest to matching MK3 and MK4's sleeker look without being a part of a deliberate retro kostume. Much like Sonya and Johnny before him, the elder Jax just looks like he got some slight tweaks here and there, mostly having colors swapped around (and a shirt added). It should be noted that while CommandThrower's picture is accurate to various promotional renders, Present Jax never actually has the more monochromatic metal arms in this game's story mode. For his brief few moments of screentime before getting recruited by Kronika, he instead has gray and white arms with star patterns on the side. They're certainly unique, and did a decent job at keeping the stars and stripes motif Jax has embodied at various times in the series.

Jax (Past)...
7bjff.png
past_jax_by_commandthvxjoo.jpg
jaxmk11pastrxk11.jpg

At last, the purple has returned. Young Jax is basically an MK3-inspired Jax, now with a vest, again calling to mind Annihilation's depiction of the kharacter. There isn't much to say other than I like this take on him. The purple military pants, the aforementioned vest, and the restoration of the sleek 90s metal arms. It's also kind of refreshing to have a cleanshaven Jax for the first time since Armageddon.

Kung Lao...
e1jhc.png
tower_tn7gk3s.png
past_kung_lao_by_comm4fk75.jpg

After an absence from several mainline games, Kung Lao's hat straps have been restored. I dig his get-up here, it's like some weird mix of MKII and MK3 Kung Lao, just with a take on the "apron" that I find looks less cheap. With so many games opting for the changshan design, it's actually kind of nice to come back to something closer to MKII's outfit. For a while, I've been thinking his pants here were meant to be a loose callback to MK3, but upon closer inspection they're closer to the hatless default Kung Lao from Deadly Alliance. Probably just a happy coincidence, but funny given how much the alternate kostume of that game influenced Kung Lao's appearance in the years leading up to MK11. Another solid redesign, and one that definitely shines with this game's more saturated palette. The Dragon medallion (but not the Dragon Medallion -- maybe it's a Krypt Koin) attached to his belts is a nice touch as well.

Kung Lao (Revenant)...
kunglaomk9revenant1fjpy.jpg
l9kq7.png
default_kung_lao_by_ct4k8x.jpg

Okay, so in MK9's story mode, Kung Lao never wore his actual default, ergo he died wearing something else that isn't too different from his usual attire. Upon returning in MKX and MK11, he adopted a more armored look, and even his hat became evil. Revenant Kung Lao adheres to black, red, and silver much like Liu Kang, losing his signature blue in the process. Even in (un)death, he cannot escape his fellow monk's shadow. His hat in MKX notably takes a more serrated appearance around the rim, which MK11 cut back on for a more solid appearance. Also, Johnny of the Super Gaming Bros. pointed out that Revenant Kung Lao's hat in MKX kind of looks like a hubcap (more than usual anyway) and I can't unsee it now. MK11 Kung Lao isn't too much of a departure from the prior game's version of him, just with more pronounced silver and a restored loincloth. Outside of the gray skin and sheer edginess of the armor, this isn't too different from what Kung Lao normally wears.

Also, since I couldn't get a full-body image of MKX Revenant Kung Lao, I found some concept art of his design, notably featuring a mask that never made it to the final game:
rdjit.jpg

Baraka...
58kwc.jpg
06j8q.jpg
default_baraka_by_com5ajaq.jpg

After being killed off by newcomer D'Vorah in MKX's story mode, a time-displaced Baraka has been brought forward in time to do battle. Baraka's mostly adhered to the same general template he had in MK9, but with more leathery cloth and a prominent waist belt. Really, there's not much to say. I certainly like the design, and think out of all the versions of his "klassic" look this is the best one just for lacking the titty skulls on the vest, but it's a fairly faithful translation otherwise.

Noob Saibot...
2dkks.png
ocj2j.png
default_noob_by_commas6jn7.jpg

After being kicked into a Soulnado by Nightwolf in MK9, Noob was another veteran who was mostly unheard of in MKX. He returns after...regenerating over time? I don't know, and I don't think Kronika had any hand in restoring him. It seems to have just been a matter of the dark magic that empowered him preventing him from truly dying. Anyways, Noob (other guy with him above is officially Saibot, his frequently seen shadow clone) is here and oilier than ever. He's taken the dark reaper motif of his prior designs and become a full-on medieval executioner in MK11. It's certainly a take that makes sense, though there is a part of me that misses the cleaner-looking jet black Lin Kuei. Making him look like an actual vengeful wraith who's been lurking about for decades like a crazed madman is to be commended, though.

And for meticulosity's sake, here's a comparison between MK9 and MK11's incarnations of Bi-Han as Sub-Zero:
uckwf.jpg
68kxg.png

The masked Lin Kuei seen in the rightmost image above is Bi-Han (as seen in Kuai Liang's Tower ending) wearing his younger brother's default kostume, bringing things full circle.

Kabal...
q2ji1.png
0zkkx.png
past_kabal_by_command75jfj.jpg

For the first time in series history, players are allowed to actually control a maskless Kabal before he sustained his injuries from the invading Outworld forces. Lack of mask aside, he's effectively MK3 Kabal, longcoat thankfully restored. The fur lining on the coat is a welcome addition to an already good design.

Kabal (Revenant)...
kabalmkxrevenantrwkyj.png
default_kabal_by_commcjkvh.jpg

I love it for the mask alone. Kabal already looked like a scary demon beforehand, but the horror was subverted when you realized he was one of the good guys (until Deception anyways). Here, he's got the mask -- which I don't think a Revenant really needs anymore -- specifically to look intimidating. It's probably my favorite Kabal mask due to doing away with the circular lenses. The new mask feels ever so slightly reminiscent of DC's Black Manta. Perhaps a side-effect of NRS also working on Injustice in between Mortal Kombat games. It's interesting that this is probably the least overt of the Revenant designs because of the mask covering his face. You wouldn't even be able to tell that he's a Revenant if it weren't for the gray arms. Probably my favorite Kabal design ever.

Frost...
iujrk.jpg
default_frost_by_comm4gjmx.jpg

I think Frost here holds the record for largest real-world gap between playable appearances in a mainline MK title at 12 years and six-and-a-half months -- let's just count human Smoke and Cyber Smoke as one single entity for the purposes of this scenario, okay? After cameoing in the prior games of this reboot trilogy, she's returned and become the latest Cyber Lin Kuei, now under the service of Kronika. Multiple kharacters serving under Kronika opt to follow her design ethos of white on gold, befitting servants of a being who considers herself the savior of the multiverse. Cyber Frost is decked out in a mechanical body that has loose enough joints to let her rotate her whole torso for attacks. It's rather reminiscent of Aigis from Persona. It's by far the most unique-looking Frost has ever been in the series, though going from Sub-Zero derivative to Cyber Sub-Zero derivative feels like a cruel joke being played on her. The loss of her Super Saiyan hair is also unfortunate.

Luckily for fans of a more traditional Frost, NRS released a skin with the advent of Aftermath:
eternal_klash_frost_bydjom.jpg

Eternal Klash Frost is what happens when you take Deadly Alliance Frost and apply the male ninja tunic's patterning to her attire. Mind you, she's still a gynoid that doubles as a walking Ginzu knife, but it's a welcome sight to have a more standard Lin Kuei uniform for her, though I don't care for the random heels or cutouts in the pants. Kitana, Jade, Mileena, and Skarlet's retro kostumes also have random heels added. At first I thought it was to keep parity with their default kostumes, but regular Frost does not have any heels of her own in this game.

Skarlet...
f7kqq.png
default_skarlet_by_coz8km3.jpg
story_skarlet_by_comm8uk0r.jpg

The Ermac of the female palette swaps made her debut as a DLC fighter in MK9, bringing yet another schoolyard rumor to life. And since she was in MK9, she was just running around in a bikini and a loincloth. MK11 -- and before that, her appearance in MKX's comic tie-in -- opts for more conservative attire, and features a present and past version of the kharacter. The present version (seen in the middle image above) went for an unusual look, almost evoking a dark nomad wandering about in the Outworld wastelands. Though given this is Skarlet we're talking about, she may very well have been wandering about looking for victims to drain for her Blood Magik. I do like the intricate design of the goggles now that I've gotten a closer look at them. Much like Past Jade, Skarlet's opted for looser cloth, which does make me think of a mage of some sort. Maybe they really were trying to make her the new Ermac. Past Skarlet, the only Skarlet featured in the game's story mode, is seen in the rightmost image above. Her design here hews a bit closer to Kitana's in material if not silhouette. Much more formfitting, though you can still make out some mage influence.

It should be noted that the color scheme of Skarlet's story mode kostume is more like an inversion of the rightmost image seen above. Here is some art from MK Mobile to provide an accurate look at the outfit:
skarlet_11_pr05ktt.png

The red is much more prominent and the mask is different, featuring a criss-cross design also shared by this game's incarnation of Ermac.

Cassie Cage...
tower85jrc.png
cassiecagemk11b2j56.png
default_cassie_by_coml2k3i.jpg

At last, we arrive at the latest batch of newcomers that got to appear in a sequel. We start with Cassandra Carlton "Cassie" Cage, daughter of Sonya and Johnny, sergeant and later commander of Special Forces, and leader of a group consisting of the descendants of Earthrealm's greatest warriors. She's a rough-and-tumble young lady with a strong sardonic streak and the fighting capabilities to match. She's also who I consider to be one of the greatest beneficiaries of MK11's "Let's add some color, you miserable schmucks" initiative. Her old bodysuit was relatively practical and a welcome contrast to where Mortal Kombat's female kostumes had been for years, but it was ultimately just standard military/spy wear. She's still wearing what's apparently regular Special Forces attire in the next game, but at this point, the designers started giving her brown and light gray and surprisingly bright blue to work with. She's even picked up her mother's old habit of wearing green. The designers lightly applied some armor to her (including a shoulder pad that looks like it has Lego studs on it) and removed the weird boobsocks on her suit, though the chestplate obscures that revelation. Not that she was particularly edgy to begin with, but Cassie in MK11 looks more like a traditional hero and less like a punk rock secret agent. Really, Cassie seems to have a "softer" look in general. She's got visible nail polish on her fingers now and her hair's grown out to replace the sidecut she sported previously. Even her promotional render -- which I posted because firstly I love it, and secondly it shows off her new drone -- has her in a more relaxed state of mind. I fully admit that some of this may be down to the improved facial tech so kharacters aren't frowning or scowling as often as they used to, though it could also be said that years of serving under Sonya in the wake of Shinnok's defeat maybe mellowed her out.

Jacqui Briggs...
ss1s4jen.png
towerhdk1q.png
default_jacqui_by_com0ajc1.jpg

No, I don't know why the announcer addresses her by full name but not her father also. Sergeant Jacqueline Sonya "Jacqui" Briggs is Cassie's best friend and together they make the half of the Kombat Kids that actually gets to be playable in MK11. She followed a similar trajectory in design evolution as Cassie, going from black/blue military fatigues to brighter green duds that wouldn't be entirely out of place in Mass Effect. Jacqui's taken the embellishments on her new outfit a step further with...I won't call it gold trim, but gold plating. She's got gold plating. And minimal shoes, befitting for a kharacter who started having more kickboxing implemented into her moveset to further differentiate her from her father. I like both of these designs, but MK11's version pops a fair deal more.

Kotal Kahn...
towerckka2.png
fixed_default_kotal_bqdj0j.jpg

The not-Aztec-or-Mayan but Mayan-inspiring ruler of Outworld after Shao Kahn's death in Mortal Kombat 9, Kotal Kahn (birthname Ko'atal) is a different breed from Shao Kahn's heavy metal barbarian warlord. Instead, he draws from Mesoamerican influences, which has led to no shortage of comparisons with Tekken's Ogre. Though unlike Ogre (as far as we know, anyway) Kotal's skin tone is a human skin tone, with the blue just being ceremonial paint or powder, a fact that's more obvious in MK11. Kotal hasn't changed too much since MKX, getting a more elaborate loincloth and belt and having his tattoos (prominent in one of his Variations in MKX) upfront by default. New feathers in the headdress have also been added.

D'Vorah...
tower72jpw.png
default_d_vorah_by_co9ikdn.jpg
naked_d_vorah_by_commpvk1n.jpg

The Kytinn queen with stingers like Teen Titans' Gizmo, D'Vorah was an ally of Kotal Kahn until revealing that she was actually in league with Shinnok and later Shao Kahn. She's a hooded, bald bug lady who NRS nonetheless made exoskeleton heels for. Despite her more "naked" locced appearance from MK11 (rightmost image above) being the one first featured in promotional art for the game, D'Vorah's primary appearance in the game is more of a straight retooling of her MKX default. Her "skin" is made much rougher with the higher graphical fidelity, and the segmenting of her exoskeleton, while still prevalent, is far less bikini-like due to the color smudging around the legs. Her face appears gaunter as well, heightening the human-but-not-that-human nature of the assassin. At the time of her introduction, it'd been a while since Mortal Kombat had gotten a new playable monster kharacter, so I welcome D'Vorah for showing just how disparate (and dangerous) Outworld can be. Shout-outs to the creepy hive-like shoulder pads she's got as well.

Erron Black...
bio1_tnr1ks4.jpg
towerz4jm5.png
default_erron_by_comms6jle.jpg

Ex-Earthrealm cowboy and another warrior in Kotal Kahn's employ, Erron Black is a gunslinging bounty hunter with a dry wit and a cool mask. Like many of MKX's newcomers, he sported a rather earthy color palette, mostly consisting of brown and red. Come MK11, the designers threw on some blue just to keep things interesting. Alas, the cape and bullet rim around his hat were lost. Erron's also sporting some asymmetrical shoulder armor, probably a Gear piece that could be swapped out given that MK11 handled kostuming in a manner similar to Injustice 2. Another lateral improvement -- if such a thing can exist -- in MK11.

Erron, being a former Earthrealm denizen with an extended lifespan, also had a Past version pop up in MK11's story mode:
past_erron_by_command4sja8.jpg

This version opts for a sleeved jacket and blue jeans. It's a humble alternate design for an already humbly designed gun-for-hire and complements his older self's outfit well.

Thank you all for your patience. Next part will cover the downloadable kharacters.

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat 11 post (part three)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
We cover the playable fighters featured as DLC and in Mortal Kombat 11's "updates," so to speak. Violence warning for those not wanting to see gore.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IOEBMxzIQ

Downloadable kharacters

Shao Kahn...

i8kqg.jpg
37kk2.png
default_shao_kahn_by_2ljqn.jpg

The prerequisite pre-order bonus kharacter, Shao Kahn's returned in his first playable (non-mobile) appearance since MKvsDCU. He's gone full-shogun, incorporating tons of intricate armor (including back armor despite remaining bare-chested) and a much more elaborate crest on his helmet. It's interesting to see such a change given he's largely adhered to the same general silhouette since 1993. I definitely prefer the less spiky shoulder pads, and the increased gold detailing is a more than worthy replacement. Also of note is Shao Kahn's long-mentioned draconic side properly coming into view with his scaly limbs. Look at his arms. Look at his toes.

Shang Tsung...
nekropolisvsj5d.png
6wkip.png
fixed_default_shang_bafjj3.jpg

The first "regular" DLC fighter of the game and one of the stars of MK11's story expansion, Shang Tsung has returned to sporting black and yellow much like his 90s counterpart. It's a nice marriage of his MKII and MK3 designs with his MKvsDCU and MK9 designs. I appreciate that the yellow pants have been brought back with no shame whatsoever. Outside of the yellow trim around the shoulders and loincloth, this is a relatively safe reworking, and that's fine. I imagine the goal was meant to represent Shang Tsung in his prime with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa coming in to lend his voice and likeness in a game for the first time.

Shang Tsung (Elderly)...
mortal-kombat-9-2011-oxjxg.jpg
fixed_past_shang_by_caej6z.jpg

Whew. One of the benefits of Shang Tsung's age-shifting is that you get to have two wildly different interpretations of the sorcerer. The elderly forms tend to lean more towards kung fu wizard, and MK11's version is no exception. New robes flowing in red, yellow, and black complement his prior appearance in MK9 well, though I'd argue the former game's design did a better job of avoiding color clash. I kind of don't mind, though, something about the layers upon layers of fabric reminds me of Deadly Alliance's take, so there's personal value in that. This is a design that might've completely fallen on its face in an earlier game due to lacking the tech needed to convincingly render all of this fabric, but in MK11's engine with MK11's art direction, it does its job with gusto.

Shang Tsung never quite regained his ability to do on-the-fly shapeshifting like he did in the 2D games, but this game opted for a compromise of sorts and granted him the ability to change between the non-cyborg male palette swaps of the original trilogy who weren't playable on their own in this game.

Reptile
tower_tnsmjia.png
20kn2.png

Every "ninja" in this game who appears under Shang Tsung's umbrella shows up in a look reminiscent of the MKII designs (quilted overtunic and all) which means Reptile returns to a convincing human appearance this time around. Notably, his and the others' masks are two-toned cloth rather than the hockey mask designs.

Reptile also makes appearances in the Krypt, sometimes in his MKX default, and sometimes in his bestial lizard form from the 1995 film:
vkj2x.png
7hj12.png

Smoke
e6jcp.jpg
lsjt5.png

He's Reptile, but in gray. Smoke also makes a cameo in the Krypt wearing a gray version of a generic ninja outfit Scorpion and Sub-Zero have as an alt.

Ermac
bio1_tnuwjs5.jpg
tower_tnpekr1.png
74jae.png
okkvg.png

Kind of surreal to see years of wizard influence be undone as Ermac has shifted back to being just Red Scorpion, but asset leverage is asset leverage. What's more interesting is seeing Ermac's appearance in the Krypt. Unlike Reptile and Smoke, he did not reuse an older or recolored design, instead getting a highly elaborate hooded look more in line with his appearance in MKX. Our friend gold trim has returned in full force, lining his armored robes and what appear to be gauntlets adorned with green gems. It's a rather lovely look, though I'm not entirely fond of the treasure map X on the mask. Just a shame you only really see this design on an Ermac who just randomly falls to his death while your player kharacter is running around Shang Tsung's Island.

And finally (for kharacters who aren't fully playable on their own), we are graced with a surprise cameo during one of Shang Tsung's Fatalities:

Kintaro
tn_kintaro0ijkl.png
kintaro_by_commandthrsyjgb.jpg
Calling back to one of Shang's finishers from MKII, the wizard transforms into the Tigrar Shokan for some interior decorating so to speak. He's returned to his MK9 design with the chainmail loincloth.

Nightwolf...
fujei.png
default_nightwolf_by_kbke3.jpg
young_nightwolf_by_cosljyc.jpg

Nightwolf might've gotten one of the stranger deals among the returning kharacters. Normally, the fighters with Revenant counterparts still running around would receive a young non-evil version and no older non-evil version, but NRS seemingly opted to break protocol with our formerly Lakota tribesman -- now officially a member of the fictional Matoka Tribe as of this game, though still apparently a subculture of the real-world Sioux people. They gave him an older version and for Aftermath a younger, more traditional version. Old Nightwolf has gone for heavier amounts of war paint, covering more of his neck and chest. He seems to have abandoned the softer cloths that defined most of his appearances in favor of the leathery battle gear of his fellow kombatants, including multicolored shoulder pads and gauntlets, to say nothing of the helmet he now dons.

I appreciate the design for boasting the most color on the kharacter since Armageddon (I especially like all of the blue highlighting the black), and for subverting several but not all of the usual stereotypes done when designing Nightwolf, but I maybe would have toned down the armor just a tad. I guess that's why we have Past Nightwolf (i.e., the Nightwolf that was trapped by Kronika alongside Shang Tsung at an earlier point in time). His design is a revised take on MK3 Nightwolf, just with no holes in the pants. There isn't much else to say really, I think it's the best direct modernization of the original design that one can get, even as I acknowledge that I have no Sioux heritage and have no idea what any Sioux person would think of someone like Nightwolf. If they haven't already, I'd like to see the employees of NRS consult members of the Sioux subcultures for respectful design advice whenever Nightwolf returns. If Killer Instinct's Thunder could be retooled to more accurately represent his group, then Nightwolf, even if he's a representative of a fictional subgroup of a real people, can be retooled as well.

Nightwolf (Revenant)...
5gk0a.png
revenant_nightwolf_bynkkt4.jpg

For his Revenant counterpart in MK11, Nightwolf almost looks like a palette swap of his older self, give or take a few accessories. Revenant Nightwolf might be the Revenant who most overtly screams "I'm the evil twin" with his black and red design and ash-white facial paint, and I kind of dig it. Also, he might actually be the only Revenant in this game who's less armored than their non-undead version.

Sindel...
image17dgkv6.jpg
story_sindel_by_commaa1kb1.jpg

Sindel was largely absent from Mortal Kombat 11 at launch, but became prominent in the story expansion. Her Revenant counterpart is properly resurrected with the help of Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Sheeva, and Fujin, thus restoring her to her non-brainwashed Edenian self. Sindel without the demon eyes is certainly surreal (almost as surreal as in-game Shang Tsung without any facial hair), to say nothing of her "new" personality, but that's irrelevant to the discussion of outfits. She's finally moved away from the leotard design she'd been rocking for the better part of 25 years in favor of an armored dress decked out in tons of silver trim. The silver calls to mind Li Mei's alternate kostume from Deception, which is a favorite of mine. A solid reworking, and one that looks marginally more regal than her prior outfits.

Sindel (Revenant)...
xdtcr9mgwcn01gikdg.png
default_sindel_by_comnzjwk.jpg

This might actually be another Revenant kostume that I prefer over the "default." Maybe due to having more armor and silver trim. Maybe because it looks more "battle-ready" and wouldn't be too out of place on a non-dead, non-evil Sindel. Purple, black, and silver just work well together.

The Joker...
render6kkzh.jpg
default_joker_by_commykjc8.jpg

The only DC creation to show up in Mortal Kombat twice, Joker's not changed too much in the wardrobe department in the decade-long interim. He's lost the tie and vest of his (formerly) three-piece suit, leaving just a dark green shirt with suspenders. His corsage has also gone from red to white. The jacket and pants themselves have taken a darker shade of purple, which contributes to making me realize that MK11's Joker is ironically less vibrant than MKvsDCU's despite MK11's color palette trending brighter. If anything, the most notable visual changes have come from Joker's facial features. Plenty of people have commented that the current Joker here doesn't really look like Joker (especially pre-release), but I can still tell that it's him. It's just that MKvsDCU has such a straightforward, larger-than-life, Jokerrific Joker that one rendered with MK11's more refined facial tech will always look a bit more grounded by comparison, even when his attacks are more violent and over-the-top than ever.

Spawn...
5rkoy.jpg
default_spawn_by_comm0hkgp.jpg

Al Simmons, AKA Spawn, is no stranger to guest appearances in fighting games. He first made his fighting debut in the Xbox port of Soulcalibur II, where he converted his iconic cape into a battle axe (named Agony) to accommodate the weapons system of that game and get around the technical limitations of rendering that flowy monstrosity in real-time. Come 2020, that latter part seems to not really be a problem anymore. Mortal Kombat's Spawn can keep his cape on his person at all times and his silhouette is all the better for it. Otherwise, both Spawns look pretty similar. Spawn's "suit" in Mortal Kombat is far more fleshy-looking and less painted-on than it was in Soulcalibur by virtue of the passage of time and advancement of technology, and his belt seems to be made of two chains instead of one big chain dangling about his waist. Both games notably feature alternate outfit(s) referencing moments from Spawn's long history.

Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath
Launched in May of 2020, Aftermath was one part GOTY edition, one part expansion pack, offering a second story mode that continued off of the game's ending and utilized the non-guest fighters of Kombat Pack 1 and two more kharacters featured below.

Sheeva...
nekropolisdhj10.png
pgjbp.png
default_sheeva_by_comynjn5.jpg

Sheeva got it good in this game. Being the only Shokan of the original trio that wasn't killed off or summarily humiliated in between MK9 and MKX, Sheeva ascended to the role of Shokan queen and largely retired from direct kombat as she tried to have a relatively peaceful reign. But when Kitana enlisted her help to deal with Kronika's forces, she proved to everyone why she was to be feared. Following up on what MKX's comic tie-in had already started, Sheeva's moved away from the strings and adopted ceremonial armor, including a skull-themed breastplate. The armor is befitting of a warrior queen and they even paid homage to her prior kostumes by having red cloth draped over the armor. Sheeva's kostumes up to this point had been so barebones that I'm not even sure what one could do to really remix them without adding more fabric (though Raiden getting the blue-on-white robes remixed successfully for 25+ years makes me give some leniency to the designers, to say nothing of one of Sheeva's MK3-inspired alts which I like a lot), so I'm happy to see the art team go for something different and reflective of Sheeva's current kharacter.

Fujin...
qlkrd.jpg
phj4p.jpg
fujinmk111.5.jpglqkh9.png
fujinmk112.5mkke0.png

Yeah, remember when I talked about Frost holding the record for largest time gap between playable appearances in the series? Well, I forgot about this guy, who waited 13 years and seven-and-a-half months between Armageddon and Aftermath to join an MK roster again. Fujin's gone for his most intricate look(s) to date in MK11, opting for one-sleeved white and black robes that show off his glowing tattooed arms. He also seems to have taken a page from his brother Raiden's book and integrated storm cloud patterns onto his robes' fabric. It's a serviceable redesign that complements Raiden well and I commend them for trying something different, though I must admit it is a bit jarring seeing Fujin abandon his usual red/black/blue color scheme for much more muted attire. Lucky for me, Fujin's kostume in Aftermath proper hews closer to his older looks. Here, he has a lovely assortment of colors ornamenting his...I don't think it's a changshan, but I do think it's Chinese-inspired. He has a lovely assortment of colors ornamenting his outfit, the black actually being retired in favor of an indigo tunic lined with dark red and bedecked with gold on the shoulders that also loosely resembles storm clouds. It feels like a composite of his two kostumes from Armageddon, covered in even more gold. Possibly my favorite design for the Wind God, and it somehow kept up the blue-green pants' perfect attendance streak for all of Fujin's game appearances. Let's give those pants a hand.

Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate

Mileena...

nekropolisz9koq.png
tower_tnsnke0.png
ylk6q.jpg
fixed_default_mileena82k94.jpg

After her death at the hands of D'Vorah in the last game, Kronika's sorcery winds up bringing another time-displaced villain into the present. Mileena earlier made a cameo appearance in Kitana's Friendship -- a feature restored with the release of Aftermath -- wearing her MKII outfit as she played pattycake with her sister in one of the funniest Friendships in the series. It would be about half a year later with the advent of MK11's final major update that she would return as a playable fighter with a new design. This is a younger Mileena that's somewhere in between the mad womanchild of MK9 and the besieged wannabe ruler of MKX, so I suppose it's fitting that her design borrow elements from both. She's effectively wearing a cloth leotard with a sort of half-skirt. It's interesting if nothing else given her sister went for form-fitting leather. I do like that the quartet of female "ninjas" opted for different fabrics in this game, it helps a good deal in further differentiating them. Mileena's mask is relatively basic in its design compared to the fang patterning it featured in MK9 or the weathered stitching it featured in MKX. She's also sporting no gold whatsoever in her default design, something that hasn't been the case since UMK3. Instead, she has some silver decals here and there, most notably lining her boots.

Rain...
i3kh1.png
h6ken.png
default_rain_by_comma2ekps.jpg

And finally, we have Rain. Previously another Krypt cameo and a form change of Shang Tsung, Rain had the honor of getting his own standalone appearance in MK11: Ultimate, marking the first time he got to be playable without Reptile, Ermac, and Smoke also doing the same. His new design leans more towards the aureate ninja trappings of MK9 than the veil and cape appearances of MKX and Armageddon before it. I think I generally preferred his more princely appearances as a rule, but this rendition makes a strong case for adhering closer to the ninja template. The gold trim around the cowl which itself seems to double as a tiara of sorts is just the right amount of pomp and circumstance for a self-important blowhard like Rain.

And that just about covers the post-launch kharacters. The next and hopefully final part will handle the NPKs.

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat 11 post (part four, now w/Dan Forden, Chameleon, & Tremor)
OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
This is the final discussion section of the (current) final game. I never thought I'd make it this far, and I thank all of you here for the support and feedback.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7xXnHEJ2U
www.youtube.com

Mortal Kombat 11 Launch Trailer Version Theme Song (complete version)

Here's where I usually am when not making music-related stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/agent17805Twitter: https://twitter.com/ray_agent17805Discord: https://di...

Non-playable kharacters

Kidd Thunder...

4ako7.jpg
3449bb8188b772dc4223ebkk3o.jpg

Introduced as a joke kharacter featured in Raiden's original Friendship, Kidd Thunder (referred to as "Raiden's favorite nephew" on a trading card) is a diminutive version of Raiden wearing a deep blue overtunic. He made his series return in Aftermath, joining Raiden for an impromptu dance number with both decked out in neon versions of their usual attire. Raiden amusingly gives Kidd Thunder the deeper blue back after having made it his own for several games.

Dan Forden...
clk84.jpg
image8ecom.png

Dan Forden's MK11 image comes from this video.
The town crier of toast returns for his fourth on-screen appearance. In the Tournament stage, any fighter who uses an uppercut will trigger the sudden arrival of Dan Forden's visage on a background screen. In this case, his likeness from Mortal Kombat 3 is summoned, probably because the Tournament stage is heavily arcade-themed in general, so using his last "retro" appearance makes sense.

Stryker...
nekropoliswej5f.png
pojya.png
0bj6i.png

His Revenant counterpart was presumably still running around during the events of MK11's story, but for his appearance in guest fighter RoboCop's Tower ending, Stryker (seen second from the left of RoboCop in the rightmost image above) reverted back to his human self due to the time travel nature of most Tower endings.

Cyrax...
j1j7f.png
vcjxe.png

One of the few veteran kharacters to show up as a non-playable opponent during the story mode, Cyrax is yet another time-displaced warrior in league with Kronika (if only by virtue of his reboot incarnation never getting the chance to properly reform). His design is not too different from what it was in MK9, though he looks less like a bumblebee due to the black stripes being toned down. His wire locs seem to have been raised up ever so slightly as well and his yellow armor has taken on a brighter hue compared to the outright gold tone Triborg's Cyrax Variation had in MKX.

Sektor...
xfjbh.png
qajic.png

Sektor has undergone far more design deviations than his more scrupulous contemporary. His helmet has pretty much shed the standard Cyber Lin Kuei mold and gone for an almost Mandalorian faceplate with the wire strands split into two bundles and now streaming from lower behind the head, making him look like a cyborg version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade's Walter Donovan mid-transformation. The blue lights that graced his artificial eyes now seem to be coursing through all of his body, making this game's Sektor the flashiest to date. His shoulder pads have also been folded down to look less wing-like. Sektor appears multiple times in MK11's campaign, later getting outfitted with white armor to demonstrate his allegiance to Kronika.

Motaro...
gvkzh.png
0dke5.jpg

Motaro makes an appearance in Sheeva's Tower ending, looking like his usual self and missing the skull shoulder pads he had in MK9.

Chameleon and Tremor...
cutoutxokvx.png
1000cb20190703140955oci81.png

tower_tntgjne.png
spoiler_imageb9d2j.png
Chameleon and Tremor's MK11 images come from the MKIceAndFire and Dynasty YouTube channels, respectively.
The two also-ran recolors of Tobias' tenure make some very painful cameo appearances in MK11's Krypt. Much like Ermac, they fall to their death via impalement, with the player kharacter unable to do anything other than rob their corpses. They wear the aforementioned generic alt that belongs to Scorpion and Sub-Zero, using their modern colors but not their modern complexions. It should also be noted that a silver-clad ninja will sometimes appear. Many assume this is the fan kharacter Khrome, but I don't believe NRS has given confirmation one way or the other.

Sareena...
mtktj.jpg
flk19.jpg

Sareena appears in (of all places) Kabal's Tower ending, where the Black Dragon member seems to have settled down with her and started a family. Her kostume isn't too different from what it normally is, once again raising the question of why she still wears her Brotherhood of Shadow regalia. Her "sleeves" have been simplified to be a solid black (as far as I can tell) and her loincloth has been extended, making it come closer to the length of the Mythologies loincloth than anything else in between. She also has a more pronounced collar around the vest and seems to be wearing either a miniskirt or shorts.

Shinnok...
tower_tnn1jb6.png
g5jxk.jpg

Shinnok is unchanged other than getting the "wardrobe" of a soon-to-be bodiless head. The image seen above is Shinnok conversing with Dark Raiden before the non-lethal decapitation is done.

Tanya...
tower_tnuqkd1.png
tanyamileena5kjqb.png

Tanya appears in Mileena's Tower ending where Mileena gains control of Kronika's Hourglass, both of them decked out in white and gold versions of their outfits. It's a nice look for Tanya. Less nice is the unlucky schmuck Mileena flayed to provide sustenance for their child. I've cropped the original image accordingly, though the MK Wiki's Galleries apparently had a relatively SFW image ready-made that I never saw until last week.

Meat...
meatmkx52jy0.png
t9jx5.png

Meat appears in the Krypt, seemingly in the midst of being born (reborn?) in what I presume is a Flesh Pit.

Hsu Hao, Hotaru, and Havik...
mkda-render38hkkj7.jpg
render2a5jqw.png
havikmk96ikh9.jpg
whjxq.png
Havik's the only one here who actually gets any design change between games (his one sleeve being restored after mysteriously disappearing), but I thought it would be fair to just throw in the other two here as well. Hsu Hao getting a cameo appearance where he isn't immediately murdered is also noteworthy in and of itself.

Blaze...
xsjjs.png
3dji4.png

Blaze maintains his traditional role as a background fighter, now looking less overtly Human Torch and more smoldering tree.

Argus...
4rj0u.jpg
fnj1w.jpg

The father of Rain, Taven, and Daegon and indirect overseer of Armageddon's events has made a handful of appearances since the timeline was rebooted. Here, he shows up in Rain's Tower ending where his out-of-wedlock siring of the purple-clad Edenian comes back to bite him hard. Outside of shortening the gold chestplate, Argus has remained relatively unchanged. His wife Delia as well as their sons Taven and Daegon also appear in Rain's ending largely unaltered since 2006.

The Great Kung Lao...
r2jek.jpg
s5j1i.png

The Shaolin Mortal Kombat Champion makes his second full game appearance (and first in 3D) at the end of Aftermath, where Fire God Liu Kang (if the player chooses him for the final battle) appears far back in time to begin training him to defend Earthrealm. This version of GKL shares facial features with the modern Kung Lao, though he dresses far more humbly given this is early in his career, calling to mind his incarnation from Mortal Kombat: Conquest.

Jade's mother...
kzjkm.png
jadesmothermk11d7kre.png

First appearing rather ominously in Jade's MK9 ending, her mother was depicted as a hooded figure with gold "armor" and weirdly tinted skin, likely due to her showing up in a near-death vision Jade had after defeating Shao Kahn. She appears again in Jade's Tower ending in MK11 when she alters time to restore her childhood, dressing more casually in a light green dress and flat shoes. I do wonder if Jade's sudden penchant for wearing hoods comes from her.

Kung Jin...
towerubkga.png
yajsx.png

Relative to Liu Kang and Kung Lao and a former member of Cassie's squad, Kung Jin is a snarky brown-clad archer with some deep-seated insecurity issues. Based off of pre-match dialogue whose canon is fluid at best, Kung Jin peacefully parted ways with Special Forces to rejoin the White Lotus Society, though he returns in a Tower ending. He's relatively unchanged other than his helmet looking slightly larger than normal. The ending shot's brighter lighting also makes his red sash a lot more apparent than it was in MKX.

Takeda...
toweropjm6.png
7ije6.jpg

Son of Kenshi and Suchin, student of Hanzo, and fiancé of Jacqui, Takeda Takahashi is a member of the Shirai Ryu after the death of his mother. As such, he takes after his master's color scheme and attire with a militarized twist. While his suit was and still is overwhelmingly black, when he returns for a cameo appearance in MK11, he gains yellow paneling on his chest shoulder pads. A minor update, but a welcome one.

Onaga, Kenshi, and Goro also make appearances in this game, but they're all basically corpses for the five seconds of screentime each gets.

And we're done. Overall, I enjoyed the redesigns for the returning kharacters. The time travel nature of the plot meant the designers could marry the old kostumes with the design sensibilities they picked up during the production of MKX, creating a happy medium of sorts that embraced the outlandish while still boasting some of the best-looking "realistic" clothing in the industry. And even the abundance of accessories felt oddly nostalgic for someone who came into the series during its 3D period, though I will admit some outfits feature a few more doodads on them than they probably need. But that's an observation I could make of pretty much all of the Mortal Kombat sequels after 1999, with this one's penchant for layers of leather and hard plastic possibly being invoked by NRS to carry over Injustice 2's piece-based customization system. Nevertheless, I cannot stress enough how much this game benefits from its more saturated color palette and from the designers opting for more colorful designs in general, which was the norm for veterans and newcomers alike up through MK9. Anyways, I suppose now is as good a time as any to address a few things.
  • Will you handle non-game Mortal Kombat media? - Yes, the moving visual media anyways. So, TV shows, movies, and web series are fair game, though I'll need time to actually get myself immersed in that expanded universe material. Until then, consider the thread concluded.
  • Will you do this for other fighting game franchises? - Maybe. Most IPs don't swap out fighter outfits en masse every one or two games like Mortal Kombat does, so it'd be kind of difficult to have any interesting commentary for stuff like Street Fighter IV or the Alpha games where most returning characters dress like they did in 1991. Juxtaposing the sprites and models would be interesting for the art evolution, but I don't know about writing blurbs that basically boil down to "X gained or lost more muscle with the art style shift." And the obvious shortcomings of tackling other IPs where I'm not as familiar with the lore as I am with Mortal Kombat's lore will demonstrate themselves quickly, though I'll try if I have the time and there's interest.
  • How many times have you said "loincloth" in this thread? - As of this post (and pending any retroactive edits), 67 times.

Last edited: