• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It's now ROBLOX

Activision Blizzard no longer holds the distinction of the most valuable US gaming company. Roblox, the company behind the hugely popular sandbox game of the same name, has surpassed Activision Blizzard thanks to a recent surge in its stock price.

Shares of Roblox jumped by more than 40% on Tuesday after the company's earnings report, catapulting the firm's market cap beyond $62 billion. This compares to Activision Blizzard's market cap of around $52 billion (via Sarah Needleman of the WSJ). Outside of those two companies, Electronic Arts has a market cap of around $39.7 billion as of this week.
www.gamespot.com

Activision Blizzard Is No Longer The Most Valuable Gaming Company In The US

Roblox has overtaken Activision Blizzard, at least on the stock market.

Fuck Activision
Fuck Roblox too

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
womp womp, too bad so sad, time to pump out remakes so people forget about the disgusting vile things we do.

ps: here's our new call of duty!

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bunch of Roblox when I was in middle school. It's bizarre to see how massive it's gotten

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
During today, Unity had a larger marketcap than ATVI too. Whatever profits it may have are years away in the future, and it's already worth $52BN. That's 25% larger than EA.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
40%????? holy fuck. this was after their multi day blackout lol damn

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That's truly crazy. I also can't believe that Roblox doesn't even have a PS4 or PS5 port yet too…

Glad to see Activision dethroned though. Fuck them and hope they go below second place

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I had the oddest conversation with my boss yesterday about Roblox. She has 3 kids from 10-13 and they are obsessed. They play roblox all the time on their ipads while their switch and xbox collects dusts. Its gotten to the point where my boss pays them their allowance for doing chores now in Robux...she has a system when if they get straight A s on a report card they get $100 robux bonus as well

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I know Roblox is huge but never really realize how profitable the game truly is. I always assume it's a game you don't really have to spend much on especially when comparing to how other games are so aggressively monetized these days.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
im not sure we should be glad with this... roblox runs on a kind of predatory model of child labor exploitation

and very few people seem to know this is happening

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
im not sure we should be glad with this... roblox runs on a kind of predatory model of child labor exploitation

and very few people seem to know this is happening

Was that confirmed? The allegation reads sort of like Acti-bliz's attempt to own all mods made on their engine (probably still salty about DotA), except with child labor. I don't really doubt any of it though, all these companies are fucked up one way or another.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
According to what is reported in the video, Roblox has about 200 million active users per month, most of them between the ages of 9 and 15. Anyone who wants can devote himself to the creation of games using the internal tools, with the promise of being paid in case of success. The problem is that the part that belongs to the developers is minimal compared to what is collected by the company: 24.5% against, for example, 70% given by Steam and 88% given by the Epic Games Store and the Microsoft Store.

In addition to this, it is really difficult to get your game noticed on the Roblox store, given the few important spots available, against the more than 20 million works present. Young developers can only hope their games are organically successful, or they can pay to get the prime spots. Payments are made in Robux, the Roblox coin that can be purchased for real money or obtained by selling content to other users.

In short, the chances of a game being noticed are the same as a video on TikTok of going viral: almost non-existent, as confirmed by a young developer.

But there is also more, because Roblox pays users in Robux. Anyone wishing to turn them into real money would have to accumulate at least 100,000, but instead of receiving the $ 1,000 they are worth, only 350 would be credited, in line with the conversion rate established by the platform. Moreover, only the premium subscription of $ 5 per month gives the right to withdraw the money. You will understand that adding up all the convenience of developing games for Roblox is practically nothing, beyond the success stories that never fail and which serve, as usual, as a red herring.

www.aroged.com

Roblox accused of child labor exploitation

Roblox was accused of exploitation of child labor from a video investigation made by the YouTube channel People Make Games. Basically what is to all intents and purposes a development platform, owes its success to the unpaid or poorly paid work of the minors who attend it, who are milked in...

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I don't undestand how Roblox has such a high valuation when a huge amount of the content on there is made up of copyright infringement/stolen assets.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, is what it is.

Blizzard has always been, and still remains, my favorite company in gaming. No games hook me like Blizzard games do.

OP
OP
RockmanBN

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
According to what is reported in the video, Roblox has about 200 million active users per month, most of them between the ages of 9 and 15. Anyone who wants can devote himself to the creation of games using the internal tools, with the promise of being paid in case of success. The problem is that the part that belongs to the developers is minimal compared to what is collected by the company: 24.5% against, for example, 70% given by Steam and 88% given by the Epic Games Store and the Microsoft Store.

In addition to this, it is really difficult to get your game noticed on the Roblox store, given the few important spots available, against the more than 20 million works present. Young developers can only hope their games are organically successful, or they can pay to get the prime spots. Payments are made in Robux, the Roblox coin that can be purchased for real money or obtained by selling content to other users.

In short, the chances of a game being noticed are the same as a video on TikTok of going viral: almost non-existent, as confirmed by a young developer.

But there is also more, because Roblox pays users in Robux. Anyone wishing to turn them into real money would have to accumulate at least 100,000, but instead of receiving the $ 1,000 they are worth, only 350 would be credited, in line with the conversion rate established by the platform. Moreover, only the premium subscription of $ 5 per month gives the right to withdraw the money. You will understand that adding up all the convenience of developing games for Roblox is practically nothing, beyond the success stories that never fail and which serve, as usual, as a red herring.

www.aroged.com

Roblox was accused of exploitation of child labor from a video investigation made by the YouTube channel People Make Games. Basically what is to all intents and purposes a development platform, owes its success to the unpaid or poorly paid work of the minors who attend it, who are milked in...
That's an oof from me. Gross

Nov 2, 2017

www.aroged.com

Holy shit, regulate the games industry.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I went from only finding out this platform existed because it used that one famous Ragnarok Online track as one of its defaults early on in its life, to suddenly conquering the world of youth gaming.

It's sad it's so exploitative.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
People celebrating Reblox have not been paying attention, however I guess any company in the top 5 is going to be fucking horrible.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
For anyone interested in learning a bit more about the monetization/labor issue about Roblox, People Make Games had a good video about it a couple of months ago:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
During today, Unity had a larger marketcap than ATVI too. Whatever profits it may have are years away in the future, and it's already worth $52BN. That's 25% larger than EA.
Wish I could have kept my Unity and Roblox but work made me sell them. Now with that being said as a former owner of the stocks and as someone that had a decent idea on how Roblox and Unity operate. I'm entirely convinced that these stocks are juiced to hell and back based on name recognition at this point. Still I guess people like imaginary profits that could happen one day. Rather then companies that make money now and are expanding.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Roblox stock is all over the place.
They generate way way way less revenue and profits than ATVI/EA and they are worth more.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Very surprising, considering that if I ever even heard of Roblox, I never paid any attention to it and what it is. Am I living under a rock?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

www.aroged.com

Genuinely makes me feel sick. This industry is in dire need of regulation.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested in learning a bit more about the monetization/labor issue about Roblox, People Make Games had a good video about it a couple of months ago:

Thats the video that mede me decide to start a position in RBLX(after whatcing into the company before) fastest +40% ever.

The business model is simply diabolical.