• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I personally think Shawn Spears is a solid worker to have on a roster. That being said if he doesn't click with this new faction, then that should be it for him as far as pushes go. I can easily see a world where if he underperformed in this faction that MJF and the Horsemen will simply job him out.

If I were booking it...I would keep the Chairman gimmick going with him, and he should be the loose cannon of the group.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The guy has been wrestling for 20 years, never really amounted to anything, finally got a break on NXT before moving up to the main roster then getting dumped because he wasn't one of Vince's pet projects, brought on as a heel who still hasn't done anything really meaningful in AEW yet, and we're over praising him?

Blue, you're good people, but this seems uncharacteristically hostile towards someone who isn't a shithead in real life like Jericho or Hager that's just getting a second chance in a major promotion.

Slacka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure I remember Khan saying that Spears was the one who suggested and maybe even brought in Rowan for the Brodie tribute show. He gets major props from me for that one.

Thats unsurprising to hear, as he and Peyton were apparently extremely close friends with Brodie and Amanda and i seem to recall her saying on that unrestricted podcast that they were part of the very small group of people that were at the hospital with her when he passed.

Honestly I don't understand why people have a problem with Spears. I find him entertaining enough in the stuff he has done so far, he seems to be a pretty solid mid card worker. I just wish he would ditch the awful off centre mohawk. That thing has never looked good on him.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
jesus fucking christ, sammy. for folk unfamiliar, chris d'elia is a standup comedian who, well...

" In interviews with The Times, Holtzman and four other women told stories of aggressive, sexually charged overtures initiated by D'Elia, who is known to many young fans as Justin Bieber's favorite comedian and has 2.4 million Instagram followers. All of the women — two of whom were not yet 18 when their communications with him began — described a flirtatious demeanor that escalated almost instantaneously. In one case, he allegedly invited two female fans to his hotel room, where he exposed his erect penis to them in an attempt to convince them to sleep with him. In another, he allegedly told a 19-year-old that he would meet up with her only after she performed oral sex on one of his friends. "

D'Elia is back and doing podcasts and shit, and this is Sammy's thoughts on this sexual predator returning.

MEy2MmIl.jpg
I liked a tweet calling him out for this comment yesterday, woke up this morning to see he had blocked me and everyone else who liked it or mentioned this comment elsewhere. Safe to say Sammy is trying to bury this.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Spears was really good in the NXT Live match I got to see with him and Bobby Roode. He's in the right spot as a stable guy. I don't get the hostility.

Ware

Jun 3, 2020
Honestly sometimes this thread gets so Aggressive and negative about simply liking or saying something positive about a wrestler that it bums me out and makes me want to stop posting. I'm not even talking about wrestlers who are shitheads like Hager but like. Sometimes it feels like opinions are dogpiled when all thats being said is "I like X". Which sucks because this thread is one of the better places to talk about wrestling online but it's a bummer.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
I love y'all but the way some of you defend Spears fucking sucks. There are so many talented, high-potential guys who get nothing on Dynamite, who struggle to even get stuff on Dark, and Spears is given opportunity after opportunity and the dude just squanders them over and over again. So AEW puts Spears on Dark to refind himself and even there the dude's matches were some of the worst things every single week.

There's such thing as over-supporting someone. A point where you're not doing anyone any favors, and that person's presence is coming at the expense of others. Fuck, guys. Do I even need to list the people AEW's had Shawn Spears beat? KTB, Scorpio Sky, VSK, Christopher Daniels, Matt Sydal, Will Hobbs, Max Caster, Pineapple Pete, Lee Johnson, Shawn Dean -- a lot of really incredible Black talent, a lot of people who don't even get work at AEW any more. And frankly all of them more deserving than Shawn Spears.

Just stop, already. He's in this new group and we're going to have to see him on TV week to week for a while now. No one needs to hear how Shawn Spears actually deserves this. We've all watched AEW for a while now. We know the reality of the situation.

about the "spears only have a job because he's cody's friend" FYI: Cody has a longer and deeper friendship with Zack Ryder than with Shawn Spears.

Just to mention that.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there as something to say about the surprising lack of minority talent in AEW men roster at the start of 2020. They have steadily improved on that regard, but they are still mostly in the lower / mid card.
I do think (and like) Spears works as a mid card heel that acts as a gate keeper for more of the upper mid card, he is good enough in the ring for that (as long as he isnt over shown) and guy just oozes heel aura.

Ricky starks is a talent that needs a push alot of minority talent is rather green other than scorpio who seems to be getting a push. I want starks to take the TV title tbh

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Jade Cargill getting another match on my birthday is a great feel. She has an unbelievable look and I really want to see if she can work a singles match. Sky's the limit if she can learn anywhere near as fast as Anna Jay.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'm pumped ot see more of Jade. She's going to be a star IMO.

Curious to see the plan for her. I'm assuming there may be some kind of direction for her if they are going to have her on Dynamite. Having her in either a faction or at least an alliance with somebody else seems like it would be a good idea. They're going to need to bring her along slowly and carefully.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know what? Push Miro. He's alright! He's being a real meathead about it. But I respect the message! Be sure to drink your respect women juice, folks!

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know what? Push Miro. He's alright! He's being a real meathead about it. But I respect the message! Be sure to drink your respect women juice, folks!

Guess there's a reason many wrestlers have come out and said he's the most popular guy in the locker room.

At this point I'm shocked Cornette still has an audience at all after the stuff that came out about him and his wife. The guy should be blacklisted from the industry and not even mentioned.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Ricky starks is a talent that needs a push alot of minority talent is rather green other than scorpio who seems to be getting a push. I want starks to take the TV title tbh

Ricky has had a decent spot on TV every week for months and has come off looking like a star. I know he ate a pin from Stinger in that match, but I don't think that did anything other than elevate starks especially given the nature of that match and the spots in it. I also generally think a heel eating pins harms them anywhere near as much as a babyface eating pins does.

I think Starks is in that Jungle Boy wave of talent for AEW. He's behind Hangman and MJF in line, but he's clearly on the way up from the midcard in the next 24 months. I'm assuming Team Taz is going to be off-screen for a little while since they just finished a major program and there is a new heel feud getting a push. I figure the Revelation is going to move through the IC and Jurassic Express (and friends?) for a while, but I'd love to see Starks work a program with Jungle Boy. It feels like JB is being built up as a long-term rival for MJF, but I think those two could put on some fire matches.

One thing I *like* about AEW is they don't just strap a rocket to people. Jungle Boy is clearly someone they believe in and are building a program around, and they've given him some signature wins, but they haven't given him a belt yet either and they have shown he is consistently a step behind some of his peers still.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
One thing I *like* about AEW is they don't just strap a rocket to people. Jungle Boy is clearly someone they believe in and are building a program around, and they've given him some signature wins, but they haven't given him a belt yet either and they have shown he is consistently a step behind some of his peers still.
I mean Tony bought the fucking rights for Tarzan Boy in perpetuity

He 1000 percent sees a future top star in Jungle Boy. It's nice to have a promoter willing to actually take the time to put all the building blocks in place to get there, so when it does happens it feels deserved and organic. You know, how wrestling should be.

Oct 8, 2019
The guy has been wrestling for 20 years, never really amounted to anything, finally got a break on NXT before moving up to the main roster then getting dumped because he wasn't one of Vince's pet projects, brought on as a heel who still hasn't done anything really meaningful in AEW yet, and we're over praising him?

Blue, you're good people, but this seems uncharacteristically hostile towards someone who isn't a shithead in real life like Jericho or Hager that's just getting a second chance in a major promotion.

Shawn Spears didnt do well in WWE because their were people much more talented than him in catering. In the WWE you have Andrade, Humberto, and Garza doing nothing. You had Brodie Lee asking for a release or to have Vince do something with him. You have Ricochet doing nothing. This time last year Bobby Lashley was a joke. You have a ton of women in NXT you could bring up but Vince right now wants to push Nia Jax and Tamina for some reason.

Shawn Spears is fine as an undercard act whose role is to lose matches, but if you're trying to create a successor to the 4 Horseman than maybe dont include Spears.

The Mulkey Brothers got over and had people bring Mulkey-mania signs to the show but that doesnt mean you put the Mulkey Brothers in the 4 Horseman with Flair and Anderson.

Sometimes people get over with a goofy gimmick, but the moment you try to do more they immediately crash in burn. Look up Sandow in TNA/Impact.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Shawn Spears didnt do well in WWE because their were people much more talented than him in catering. In the WWE you have Andrade, Humberto, and Garza doing nothing. You had Brodie Lee asking for a release or to have Vince do something with him. You have Ricochet doing nothing. This time last year Bobby Lashley was a joke. You have a ton of women in NXT you could bring up but Vince right now wants to push Nia Jax and Tamina for some reason.

Shawn Spears is fine as an undercard act whose role is to lose matches, but if you're trying to create a successor to the 4 Horseman than maybe dont include Spears.

The Mulkey Brothers got over and had people bring Mulkey-mania signs to the show but that doesnt mean you put the Mulkey Brothers in the 4 Horseman with Flair and Anderson.

Sometimes people get over with a goofy gimmick, but the moment you try to do more they immediately crash in burn. Look up Sandow in TNA/Impact.

Yeah, but Spears and MJF have good chemistry together. I think they want a guy who is completely disposable in the Revelation. They have to protect MJF/FTR and Wardlow. Spears can eat pins, get beaten up by MJF when they lose, etc. I think one of the biggest issues with the ICs construction is they didn't have that person and its resulted in Sammy and PnP eating pins that set them back.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean Tony bought the fucking rights for Tarzan Boy in perpetuity

He 1000 percent sees a future top star in Jungle Boy. It's nice to have a promoter willing to actually take the time to put all the building blocks in place to get there, so when it does happens it feels deserved and organic. You know, how wrestling should be.

So far other than pre-heel turn Britt Baker AEW has done a really good job of not trying to force a star onto the audience. Its one of the biggest mistakes WWE consistently makes is just forcing people down the audiences throats that they don't care about or are tired of. They have also done a fantastic job of not doing the opposite by jumping on fan-favorites and giving them the belt. Orange Cassidy would have been driven completely into the ground by now if Vince was booking him.

I mean, they built and destroyed Otis in less than 6 months.

Oct 25, 2017
Ricky has had a decent spot on TV every week for months and has come off looking like a star. I know he ate a pin from Stinger in that match, but I don't think that did anything other than elevate starks especially given the nature of that match and the spots in it. I also generally think a heel eating pins harms them anywhere near as much as a babyface eating pins does.

I think Starks is in that Jungle Boy wave of talent for AEW. He's behind Hangman and MJF in line, but he's clearly on the way up from the midcard in the next 24 months. I'm assuming Team Taz is going to be off-screen for a little while since they just finished a major program and there is a new heel feud getting a push. I figure the Revelation is going to move through the IC and Jurassic Express (and friends?) for a while, but I'd love to see Starks work a program with Jungle Boy. It feels like JB is being built up as a long-term rival for MJF, but I think those two could put on some fire matches.

Team Taz vs Jurassic Express is a feud I didn't know I wanted but would be so good. We need those Trios titles soon.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
my friend reminded me he still has nosebleed seats for me and him from Blood and Guts back when it was originally scheduled.

Man that show is going to be NUTS when it comes back

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I really like how the new stable is constructed. Besides being designed to more or less mirror the Inner Circle, it's got a good mix of everything:

1. Legendary figure as a manager.
2. Young star leader who's one step away from being at the top.
3. Another young guy who will be the breakout star of the group; also the muscle of the group.
4. Veteran hand who will work good matches against the opposition and can take falls for the team to protect 2 and 3 from losses.
5. A top tier tag team.

I guess you could argue Wardlow is already on track to break out and they could have picked another completely unestablished guy to get that rub, but I won't quibble with that.

It's looking like Sammy G vs Spears will be an early feud, which is a one Sammy can win to boost him up. Jericho probably about to similarly put Wardlow over. MJF vs Sammy is a money match between two future main eventers. FTR vs PnP will be a great tag feud. And ultimately this is probably designed to be the big Blood and Guts match whenever they can run a full arena again. Really looking forward to this all playing out.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, if everything had gone to plan, Sammy would still be over at Impact (or, technically, at home while his Impact stuff played out since it's all recorded). AEW basically had to rewrite his return to the Inner Circle on the fly. How do folk think the current faction war would be different if Sammy was still gone?

Lonewolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
So far other than pre-heel turn Britt Baker AEW has done a really good job of not trying to force a star onto the audience. Its one of the biggest mistakes WWE consistently makes is just forcing people down the audiences throats that they don't care about or are tired of. They have also done a fantastic job of not doing the opposite by jumping on fan-favorites and giving them the belt. Orange Cassidy would have been driven completely into the ground by now if Vince was booking him.

I mean, they built and destroyed Otis in less than 6 months.

I mean, look at Dark Order and Luther, people hated both of them, but now Dark Order is over and people like the wacky Chaos Project matches with Luther using Serpentico as a weapon. I swear these guys could get over anybody.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I mean, look at Dark Order and Luther, people hated both of them, but now Dark Order is over and people like the wacky Chaos Project matches with Luther using Serpentico as a weapon. I swear these guys could get over anybody.

Stuff like this is what got me so frustrated with the WWE. This stuff isn't rocket science. Let people have input into their characters, listen to the audience, highlight strengths, hide weaknesses, adjust when something isn't working. Or I guess you could have a sea of writers who don't understand wrestling create for an out of touch, senile man who hates his audience.

Lonewolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
So, if everything had gone to plan, Sammy would still be over at Impact (or, technically, at home while his Impact stuff played out since it's all recorded). AEW basically had to rewrite his return to the Inner Circle on the fly. How do folk think the current faction war would be different if Sammy was still gone?

I don't think they rewrote anything, this was certainly already in the cards and was certainly planned out in the aborted Impact run for Sammy.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How much of impact is taped each time? I assume this good bros vs finn juice match was pre-taped a while back considering finn juice was just in tokyo the other day for the tournament.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I wrote about a wrestler in a wrestling thread, criticizing folk for supporting a below-average white dude getting pushed cuz he's a friend of the company over a roster of incredibly talented Black wrestlers and other underused talents. And I'll do it again, because it's a point worth making again. Just like I've criticized folk for handwaving the way the women's roster has been treated. Just like I've criticized folk for cheering on shitheads.

Being a fan doesn't excuse anyone from acknowledging more meaningful issues that are part of their fandom. Not sure what to say to you if you find that weird, pazyinyo.

I've been as critical as anyone on here about the women's division, I've been told to shut up about the women's division in the past by your good self so don't think I'm hand waving anything away here.

You thinking Pineapple Pete is better than Shawn Spears isn't a meaningful issue, it isn't, it's just your opinion.

All that other talent lost to Spears on Dark weren't hurt by it at all. They were unsigned and were only brought in to do jobs and give them a pay check when no-else was running shows. Yeah some of them turned out good and were rightfully signed but you'd be mad to think a signed decently pushed AEW guy was gonna lose to guys they'd got no plans to bring in. As painful as it might be to imagine, the likes of Hobbs and Johnson may have been signed in part of their work with Spears, hell given what Spears other duties are for we all know he may have put in a good word for them afterwards. And now they're all on Dynamite, part of major factions, not hurt one little bit but you're upset because one of them should be in Spears position? Would you rather have someone like Shawn Dean in MJF's group and eating pins every week? I'm gonna say yes on the former but no on the latter. And that's why Spears is in a role that is almost certainly above his level because he can take being a background player that gets pinned all the time. If you do that with a Johnson or Dean on TV then it can stick with them forever. Spears is already damaged goods so he's perfect for the role of eating the pins.

I don't know what to tell you bluexy, you know how this works, AEW makes guys wait and build things slowly. The roster is too big right now and there's gonna be talented people left off every show, I know which guys I'd cut but that's another debate for another day. I only called your post weird because it was unnecessarily hostile to people simply stating they liked someone and you're not normally that kind of poster.

Hybrid Hunter

May 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I like that we are even talking about Spears but he seems to be as polarising as Cody at times haha!

I don't think they rewrote anything, this was certainly already in the cards and was certainly planned out in the aborted Impact run for Sammy.

Yeah, Sammy was always going to return to IC, Jericho wouldn't have allowed an Impact storyline to affect his own main event story. They must've floated the idea of Sammy being in Impact after he left IC which as we all agree would've been horrible.

What's Mel up to these days? We haven't seen her in a while, unless she's growing our her hair to return in a new gimmick.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
How much of impact is taped each time? I assume this good bros vs finn juice match was pre-taped a while back considering finn juice was just in tokyo the other day for the tournament.

I think they generally tape about a month at a time. They've been taping everything through the monthly streaming event and then doing the next set of tapings shortly after that. I think they're taping again this week. I think the PPVs are actually live but everything else is taped pretty far in advance.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
What's Mel up to these days? We haven't seen her in a while, unless she's growing our her hair to return in a new gimmick.

I believe I read that she is on hiatus due to the pandemic. If I'm not mistaken she has a kid(s) which is maybe playing into that decision.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her dropped once the pandemic is over. She may be one that they're taking care of while things are shut down but will let her move on once the indies are fully open again.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think Sammy come back with the swerve of "I filmed you" was necessary in that section. It did make the thing funnier, but from a storyline perspective it didnt add that much. Sammy was just there to show a video of MJF talking with the other members of the IC, which only reinforced the idea of the "backstab", but was not really needed.
"I thing someone here needs to leave the Inner Circle " -> MJF side looks to the other guys -> the other guys move towards Jericho as per it happened.

Then Jericho laughs and says "ha, you think I didnt know it, I talk with my partners!" (as this point has already being built up previously).

Basically, Sammy point was just to reinforce a point that it had been built, so it wasnt needed per se. Sammy could have come back later when the IC was in pure war vs the MJF faction as a face that came back to help his old friends that abandoned him.

True that.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Anyone going to catch the Impact event tonight? Since they started the crossover I've sort of half-followed the product and have considered these streaming events, but I just don't think I can do it. It looks fairly good on paper but these shows tend to be such slogs. If they hadn't already announced Omega for the next PPV I might have been more inclined to tune in to see a surprise appearance from him after the main event but the cats already out of the bag there.

I will definitely order the PPV next month though.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone going to catch the Impact event tonight? Since they started the crossover I've sort of half-followed the product and have considered these streaming events, but I just don't think I can do it. It looks fairly good on paper but these shows tend to be such slogs. If they hadn't already announced Omega for the next PPV I might have been more inclined to tune in to see a surprise appearance from him after the main event but the cats already out of the bag there.

I'll pop it on in the background but I have low expectations. Hopeful for an AEW reference or cameo.

Oct 27, 2017

Is this the one that has the wife beater crew in the main event? I want to watch that one just to see if they'll put it on Moose. Kenny hasn't wrestled a big man in a single's competition in AEW at all as far as I can remember.

Also Emi Sakura and Giulia are feuding. I don't know if it's a shoot thing or a setup to a match in Stardom but something is going on there.

Someone in the video comments fantasy booked Giulia destroying Emi Sakura so bad that one of her students from AEW goes over there to get revenge. Leading to an eventual Donna Del Mondo invasion of AEW. What a crazy world that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.