• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm completely flabbergasted at the amount of people I'm seeing online saying that Omega vs. Cassidy on PPV is a bad move and should only be happening on TV. I feel like the unreasonable hatred that Cornette Crew have for OC colored him in such an odd light. The first full crowded show since the pandemic began, and Kenny "By God" Omega is defending the world championship against arguably the most over babyface in the company who controls the crowd like a goddamn Superstar. I'd think that OC would've silenced the naysayers after having nothing but banger matches since debuting against Pac. But hey, "killing the business" and all that.

I'm also realizing that I'm a total mark for Miro. As much as I like watching Darby, I'm looking forward to watching Miro break him in half like a toothpick.

When they announced it was PAC vs OC for the title shot next week, my knee jerk reaction was definitely that I'd rather it be PAC. Then OC came out and I was like, actually this would be a super fun PPV match. I hope OC takes it next week but I think either of them will put on a banger with Omega.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
gonna have to give this a listen. daniel bryan is such a weird guy, tho. part of why he did so well at WWE, or why anyone does well at WWE, was his ability to do what he's told and go with the flow. is he really the kind of guy that would have lofty aspirations of traveling the world? to make a list of his must-have non-WWE matches? i can't help but think he's just taking a break

I'd imagine a lot depends on how he sees the world currently. He most certainly has had his share of traveling the world (so I doubt he'd go back to NJPW just to experience Japan,) but now he'd be able to do it as the absolute top star, if he so chooses. He's said a lot over the years about his view of wrestling as an artform and I think this would be his last great chance to do something in that sort of context.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Kenny Omega vs Orange Cassidy does not "feel" like a PPV main event, and they haven't really teased any other giant match for the show yet- it would make sense to do Kenny vs Orange on a PPV card if you were doing Blood and Guts on that card, but they just...did that on TV, so obviously that isn't happening on PPV.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The morning after and I'm hella excited about last night's show in retrospect. Just sitting here thinking how lucky we are to have a wrestling company where almost everything matters and where there's actual thought put into matchups and what they mean for the future of the competitors.

The Jericho crash pad nonsense is already behind me. Apologies if it seemed like I was implying that some people wanted him to go through tables or something, but that was the immediate place my mind went to when some people were laughing at the spot online. I should really just keep the discussion to this community and not venture outside too much. LOL

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Listen to those "Sammy" chants at the 40-second mark.

This was such a badass start to the match. Watching it again now and loving the hell out of it. That double springboard cutter at the end of the video...PHEW.

And the other two videos they have of the match...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

No one is really complaining about the crash pads. Everyone is complaining about the camera angle or the booking itself.

Seems like people are complaining about every aspect of the crash landing which I just think is a really dumb thing to harp on but here we are I guess. There were a few odd camera cuts though I feel like those were largely whenever they did what looked to be someone receiving an apparent blow to the head? At least those were the ones that stood out to me.

I want to say when Shawn Spears did a chair shot to the head of Sammy they did a quick cut to a different angle? I guess I'm willing to give them at least a little leeway in this match with camera cuts due to the chaotic nature of this match and definitely didn't stand out to me personally the way it does anytime I go from watching AEW to WWE but I guess it did happen a little more than it needed to.

I think the booking would've largely been fine if it was a tighter match on a PPV but I think as a result of this having to be on TV instead of PPV they needed to stretch the match out to better accommodate ads so the match ended up being longer than it needed to be which resulted The Match Beyond being kind of meandering. As someone watching on FiteTV where it's ad free you could tell they were stretching at a few points like when Jericho was climbing the cage he stopped near the top for like a solid minute trying to hype the crowd up presumably waiting for some kind of queue for him to know that they were back from break because as soon as they came back from break he finished climbing.

As many mistakes as WCW made over the years I think this Dynamite demonstrated why WCW only ever did War Games on one of their weekly TV shows (Nitro) once and every other time they did War Games it was on either house shows or PPVs. From top to bottom it's way too much of a pain to do on weekly shows. This absolutely would've been better on PPV. That said, everything before Jericho came in I thought was pretty great with everything after him entering being kind of mixed.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So as a result (or more likely, in response) to the Omega vs. Moxley Barbed Wire Explosion Deathmatch, Atsushi Onita is reviving FMW as FMWE, the E standing for Explosion, specifically revolving around Exploding Deathmatches.

fmw-e.com

FMWE FMWE : FMW explosion

Atsushi Onita rebone FMW into FMWE. FMWE is a professional wrestling organization specializing in hardcore and explosion barbed wire deathmatch Onita invented.

First show will be July 4 at a Farmer's Market in Yokohama (no joke)

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The fan art has already begun.

I think it's hard to call Blood and Guts anything other than a success.

-the cage and lighting looked awesome
-the match itself largely delivered and was intense as hell
-it further cemented MJF as AEW's biggest asshole (the "Thank you" line at the end was great)
-just a fun show all around even if the first hour largely felt like filler

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Booooooy Dave and Bryan are sure talking around Bryan Danielson potentially shopping offers between WWE and AEW specifically for a loooong time on today's Wrestling Observer Radio. They explicitly mention Cody's list of dream matches from a few years ago and how achieving that would be different today. And AEW would ABSOLUTELY let Bryan achieve that in and outside of the company ala Mox and Omega.

It felt like a lot of saying-not-saying on Meltzer's part, like he couldn't hide his excitement. I try not to get too excited about speculation but damn.
you weren't kidding at all. meltzer is being incredibly cryptic, but not just about daniel bryan. like, cryptic even on top of meltzer's typical meandering nonsense. he's referencing something big happening soon, or at least possibilities going on in the background. like, take these four quotes:

"maybe in 30 years I'll have something to say on it. maybe on dark side of the ring."

"there are some crazy things going on in wrestling. but they haven't happened yet."

"at aew he may not get as many dates as he wants, then again there's the other thing."

"one day in the next six months, he's going to show up on someone's tv. and that will be that. maybe something big will happen between now and then."

meltzer's saying straight up that he doesn't know what daniel bryan is doing. but he's also implying that he knows some of the stuff that's happening behind the scenes that he believes would prove hugely influential on bryan's decisionmaking.

like, bruh, I don't want to reach on this. but... is meltzer hinting at the AEW x NJPW stuff? the shit that Jericho "leaked" that no one took seriously? meltzer specifically saying "maybe something big" is going to happen in the next six months has my curiosity absolutely piqued.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
you weren't kidding at all. meltzer is being incredibly cryptic, but not just about daniel bryan. like, cryptic even on top of meltzer's typical meandering nonsense. he's referencing something big happening soon, or at least possibilities going on in the background. like, take these four quotes:

"maybe in 30 years I'll have something to say on it. maybe on dark side of the ring."

"there are some crazy things going on in wrestling. but they haven't happened yet."

"at aew he may not get as many dates as he wants, then again there's the other thing."

"one day in the next six months, he's going to show up on someone's tv. and that will be that. maybe something big will happen between now and then."

meltzer's saying straight up that he doesn't know what daniel bryan is doing. but he's also implying that he knows some of the stuff that's happening behind the scenes that he believes would prove hugely influential on bryan's decisionmaking.

like, bruh, I don't want to reach on this. but... is meltzer hinting at the AEW x NJPW stuff? the shit that Jericho "leaked" that no one took seriously? meltzer specifically saying "maybe something big" is going to happen in the next six months has my curiosity absolutely piqued.

Damn, I need to listen to this. Certainly sounds like true AEW x NJPW partnership could be happening. What was the stuff Jericho "leaked"?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

We're getting that AEW/NJPW super show eventually. Bryan vs. Minoru Suzuki? In the United States? Not holding my breath, but I guess we'll wait and see.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I need to listen to this. Certainly sounds like true AEW x NJPW partnership could be happening. What was the stuff Jericho "leaked"?

In an interview with ComicBook.com Jericho just started talking about a hypothetical AEW x NJPW partnership. Except he got crazy specific -- specific to the point where it was like, okay, he's just joking, right? This would be insane and Jericho wouldn't just say this if it was at all a realistic possibility.

Two standout quotes from the interview:

"There's a couple of matches there that I would love have. [Minoru] Suzuki and Jericho. I think [Will] Ospreay and Jericho. I think Kenny and myself as a tag team against Tana and [Kazuchika] Okada or against [Kota] Ibushi and Okada. That's a Tokyo Dome main event. So all of those matches are in the pipeline. "

"... I just love the concept of AEW invading them in Osaka, Dominion in June, and then doing a Tokyo Dome invasion show, and then coming back to do a Madison Square Garden invasion show in our backyard, or Staples Center, something along those lines. So that's an invasion that I really could get off on and get behind for sure."

Just some absurd, shit, right? No way is this stuff even possible without there being a bigger announcement or a leak or something. But now Meltzer's here hinting at some big crazy stuff happening and I can't help but think... huh.

But nah. Just too crazy right now. Especially with the pandemic, the Tokyo Olympics, and Jericho planning on touring with Fozzy again this summer.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
In an interview with ComicBook.com Jericho just started talking about a hypothetical AEW x NJPW partnership. Except he got crazy specific -- specific to the point where it was like, okay, he's just joking, right? This would be insane and Jericho wouldn't just say this if it was at all a realistic possibility.

"There's a couple of matches there that I would love have. [Minoru] Suzuki and Jericho. I think [Will] Ospreay and Jericho. I think Kenny and myself as a tag team against Tana and [Kazuchika] Okada or against [Kota] Ibushi and Okada. That's a Tokyo Dome main event. So all of those matches are in the pipeline. "

"... I just love the concept of AEW invading them in Osaka, Dominion in June, and then doing a Tokyo Dome invasion show, and then coming back to do a Madison Square Garden invasion show in our backyard, or Staples Center, something along those lines. So that's an invasion that I really could get off on and get behind for sure."

Just some absurd, shit, right? No way is this stuff even possible without there being a bigger announcement or a leak or something. But now Meltzer's here hinting at some big crazy stuff happening and I can't help but think... huh.

But nah. Just too crazy right now. Especially with the pandemic, the Tokyo Olympics, and Jericho planning on touring with Fozzy again this summer.

Thanks for typing this up. I don't think I ever heard about this interview.

I'm seriously getting chills thinking about an invasion angle with AEW and NJPW. Like... that would just be unbelievable.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
It makes sense that the cage bump is getting more scrutinised after the explosion dud. They're not even on the same level for me personally but when you mess up that hard then of course it's gonna follow you, at least until the next big gimmick match.

We had Jericho take the powerbomb from Wardlow off the stage and it was safe, we had Chuck safely powerslam Kip thru tables off the stage in Arcade Anarchy then we've had Matt and Darby do two big but safe bumps in their falls count anywhere match a few weeks back.

AEW can do stunts, they can do them safely and make them look good at the same time, last night they didn't manage to do both. Like with all their other production issues, not getting mics live quick enough or the camera missing spots in a match, it's just something AEW needs to work on.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Pinnacle's theme and titantron is just so good

If AEW put trios titles in the future, i want them to be first champions.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Kenny Omega vs Orange Cassidy does not "feel" like a PPV main event, and they haven't really teased any other giant match for the show yet- it would make sense to do Kenny vs Orange on a PPV card if you were doing Blood and Guts on that card, but they just...did that on TV, so obviously that isn't happening on PPV.

They teased Omega vs. Christian after Revolution, but now Christian has gone off with Team Taz and is (I assume) facing Cage at the PPV. Which is fine, that's a big match to build to and needs a bigger arena, I assume All Out will be back on the road in Chicago.

Thanks for typing this up. I don't think I ever heard about this interview.

I'm seriously getting chills thinking about an invasion angle with AEW and NJPW. Like... that would just be unbelievable.

Considering NJPW basically birthed AEW, I have zero doubt that once the pandemic is over and we can get bigger crowds in the US and Japan, you'll get AEW vs. NJPW supershows at Tokyo Dome and MSG.

Also I think a lot of the underused talents in NJPW would thrive in AEW. Ishii immediately comes to mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH

See that's exactly what I mean. There's the idle Meltzer speculation that sites love to run with and then there's this. It felt completely different. Like he's barely able to contain some big big information. It's REALLY interesting.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It makes sense that the cage bump is getting more scrutinised after the explosion dud. They're not even on the same level for me personally but when you mess up that hard then of course it's gonna follow you, at least until the next big gimmick match.

We had Jericho take the powerbomb from Wardlow off the stage and it was safe, we had Chuck safely powerslam Kip thru tables off the stage in Arcade Anarchy then we've had Matt and Darby do two big but safe bumps in their falls count anywhere match a few weeks back.

AEW can do stunts, they can do them safely and make them look good at the same time, last night they didn't manage to do both. Like with all their other production issues, not getting mics live quick enough or the camera missing spots in a match, it's just something AEW needs to work on.

Yeah, we've been singing this refrain since October 2019. LOL Think we'll just have to put up with it. I imagine these issues are AEW's equivalent of WWE missing spots or overusing the zoom effect to give the impression of chaos.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll keep ironing things out. I don't expect perfection, but it's unfortunate that two of their biggest spots ever have been met with this level of criticism, though as you said, they're not even in the same ballpark in terms of how effective they were. Purely anecdotal, but the YouTube comments are overwhelmingly positive on the end of Blood and Guts video. I wonder how much of this crash pads discussion is just happening among uber nerds like our community and on podcasts.

In the end, last night had some truly spectacular moments and visuals, and we moved the story forward in a big way. Gonna focus on that and move on.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017

I think the promotional landscape whole are shifting, with CMLL and ROH cutting their partnership due to Rush et al, while at the same time NJPW and Impact are getting back into business together, I guess putting the whole ROH x NJPW-relationship into question. I guess an AEW x NJPW supershow (think WCW x NJPW in the 90's) would be the logical conclusion, though I really, really, really hope the ROH-aligned lucha dudes also play some part in this.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'd love if Clash of Champions isn't just AEW x NJPW but AEW x NJPW x Impact x GCW x NWA x ROH x DDT x TJPW x Stardom... it could be such an awesome event

edit: Hell, have it be a 2 to 3 day event! Have it rival Wrestlemania has being a humongous premier event

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If Daniel Bryan has a wrestling bucket list he wants to do before he retires, I can see him leaving WWE for a few years while he knows he can still go. Plus, it's not like WWE won't re-sign him for tons of money afterwards.

Also, listening to last night's WOR, Meltzer wanted to spill the tea so badly lol. You could hear the excitement in his voice. There's definitely something interesting happening.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Considering NJPW basically birthed AEW, I have zero doubt that once the pandemic is over and we can get bigger crowds in the US and Japan, you'll get AEW vs. NJPW supershows at Tokyo Dome and MSG.

Also I think a lot of the underused talents in NJPW would thrive in AEW. Ishii immediately comes to mind.

Yeah I think you are right. NJPW's previous CEO seemed to be a HUGE hurdle to outside collaboration. Now that he's gone, I have more confidence than ever it will happen with the crossover we've already gotten. I guess the question is just how intertwined they will end up being. Based on some of the stuff Meltzer is saying now and the quotes from Jericho bluexy posted, I'm incredibly intrigued about what we could get here. Not just a crossover show but a true, long term collaboration.

If Daniel Bryan has a wrestling bucket list he wants to do before he retires, I can see him leaving WWE for a few years while he knows he can still go. Plus, it's not like WWE won't re-sign him for tons of money afterwards.

Also, listening to last night's WOR, Meltzer wanted to spill the tea so badly lol. You could hear the excitement in his voice. There's definitely something interesting happening.
Yeah, I'm listening to this talk now and if you had asked me yesterday, I'd had said DBry in AEW was very unlikely. Now I'm not so sure.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Yeah I think you are right. NJPW's previous CEO seemed to be a HUGE hurdle to outside collaboration.

Apparently one of the reason the Elite were so eager to leave in the first place was because of Harold Meij, since he basically knew nothing about wrestling, and was seen as more of a Celebrity CEO due to the fact that he's a Dutch guy living in Japan and fluent in Japanese. Like, he had his own fan club. And he genuinely thought NJPW could expand internationally without AEW's help, which let's be honest, wasn't going to happen.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to Busted Open and Bully Ray is very hurt that Omega wasn't wearing/carrying the Impact belt and made a tweet about it and then allegedly impact wrestlers started texting him thanking him for his tweet..

Bully should be more appreciative that legendary Japanese wrestler MT Nakazawa was holding the belts.

Oct 25, 2017
Ogogo talking up the UK/trashing USA is actually what tipped me off that they were likely going to set up Cody vs Ogogo. Cody's the "American" Nightmare and has a lot of American flag imagery in all of his stuff, so I think the intent is to play against that part of his character.

They've got to be really high on Ogogo if they're potentially setting him up to go over Cody.

Although the flags had a bit of a hijacking in the past few years, it's nice to have a patriotic Brit character in Wrestling. Hope the Guv'nor calls Cody "guttertrash" at some point.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Omega-Orange feels more of a PPV match for me right now than rerunning Omega-PAC.

One of the top babyfaces in the company going against the top heel, with the first full live crowd in over a year, Where Is My Mind superstar entrance, Orange being the underdog, still having to prove himself to the doubters, and Omega being one of the best in the world and able to make anyone look great.

Omega-PAC would definitely be great but this has all the ingredients to be magical.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing that Chairshot from Spears to Sammy that looked like a headshot might have been a shoulder shot because Christ that looks ugly

Oct 25, 2017
Listen to those "Sammy" chants at the 40-second mark.

This was such a badass start to the match. Watching it again now and loving the hell out of it. That double springboard cutter at the end of the video...PHEW.

And the other two videos they have of the match...

Even Hager got a huge pop. Having a full attendance for DoN is going to be great for the atmosphere, although still worried for safety. They should have a no mask and you're out zero tolerance policy (unless you're medically exempt)

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would have helped if Jericho had had more blood on him when they knew the finish would ivolve him being buried in a crash pad. He should have bladed earlier than he did. in my opinion. I wouldn't ask anybody to blade but he did it later anyway and a lot of the others did at various times of the match.
Instead most of the closeups of him early in the match showed tanning spray runnning down his face mixed with the sweat. That's a big pet peeve for me, especially if you play up the drama of a match relying on close ups of faces. It happened recently, too with Matt Jackson. That really takes me out of those moments they want to be important. Get that under control, guys.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I think it would have helped if Jericho had had more blood on him when they knew the finish would ivolve him being buried in a crash pad. He should have bladed earlier than he did. in my opinion. I wouldn't ask anybody to blade but he did it later anyway and a lot of the others did at various times of the match.
Instead most of the closeups of him early in the match showed tanning spray runnning down his face mixed with the sweat. That's a big pet peeve for me, especially if you play up the drama of a match relying on close ups of faces. It happened recently, too with Matt Jackson. That really takes me out of those moments they want to be important. Get that under control, guys.

You want them not to sweat and spray tan? LOL

Dec 29, 2017
If Orange Cassidy becomes number 1 contender I could see stories crossing over. A big 10 man tag match. Kenny, Bucks and Good Brothers vs Orange, Best Friends, Mox, and Kingston. Moxley or Kingston pinning one of the Bucks could earn them a tag title match at the PPV.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
"So all of those matches are in the pipeline."

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
You want them not to sweat and spray tan? LOL

No, of course every wrestler sweats, some more (hi Bobby Lasley) some less and a lot of them use tanning spray. Yet most of the time they avoid looking like Giuliani during a press conference. ;) It hurts the moment when some of the drops of sweat you can see during a close up of you making a dramatic face are colored in various shades of brown. I noticed it twice recently, that's why I mentioned it.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Schiavone shooting on "hopeless trolls" and calling them "worthless" in the first minute of last night's post-show. LOL And then saying "Then we're gonna block your ass from talking 'cuz you're a worthless piece of shit." Damn, Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.