• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Capcom did a really good move by publishing a demo on PC, after the Steam Winter Sales, RE2 started slowly to climb the chart sitting in #4 or #5 position, but after tomorrow's demo and the positive reaction it quickly jumped on the best seller list 12 days ahead of release date. RE2 has the potential to be the best launch of a horror games on Steam.

And yes MHW is still selling months later.

DPRR04r.png

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The King is back baby. Also helps that in some region, the game is way cheaper than Vesperia.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If only now they'd also release the DMC5 demo on PC Feb 7th....

The datamine excues don't cut it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You see this is why I don't understand why more games don't have demos.
They really work to get people excited. I know it's a pain in the arse for devs to make, but they do help.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
You see this is why I don't understand why more games don't have demos.
They really work to get people excited. I know it's a pain in the arse for devs to make, but they do help.

Creating a good demo that generates hype and word of mouth is no easy feat. This demo has just the right content to introduce the premise to those new to RE2, and to left everyone else craving for more.

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Capcom is moving onto PC in a big way. There is so much potential there for AAA games that have traditionally avoided the platform. Seems like a great growth area.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Awesome, i'm really thinking of getting it day 1 but damn, feb and march are insane for me already...Capcom has been cool with pc... other than the delayed MHW expansion :(

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demos are only this effective if it's a good demo of a good game, which is absolutely what we have here. Horror's back.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Basically you only put out demos, which are great for marketing. If you're confident about your product.

Oct 31, 2017
This sounds strange, there are a lot of Disney games on PC, even SW and Marvel titles are on PC.
Maybe he's talking about something he heard few years back and not necessarily true anymore.
Especially since Squaresoft already hinted that they are "considering other platforms" (what they need to consider is not really clear... Just port it and enjoy the money).

Back to the topic, I already said in the past that I was dubious about the old claim that "demos lower sales". I genuinely think that applies just for demos that fail to leave the player wanting for more, and that a good demo on the other hand can boost sales significantly.

Oct 29, 2017
This is really heartening to see.

Capcom has really done their best to turn things around after a middling start to this generation: from exciting game previews turning into vaporware (Deep Dive), promised new engines that have since disappeared into the aether (Panta Rhei), and what seemed like stagnation of once prominent and industry-topping franchises (DMC), they have managed to turn things impressively around.

Whatever management and the development teams have done to get their ducks in a row, the effect and outcome has been nothing short of astounding. The level of quality with their output has me hoping that some other Japanese companies that I used to hold in high esteem - Square-Enix, I'm looking at you - will be able to muster the same focus and redefinition that Capcom has done with the last two years.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Developers need to realize the one of the main reasons people don't preorder right away is they want to know how games run on their systems so a solid demo is a good way to quell any concerns. After finding out how great RE2 ran on mine yesterday i immediately hit up GMG and preordered the deluxe edition for 20$ off.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Are micro-transactions and DLCs included in these numbers? Thinking of Monster Hunter, GTA V, Rocket League and BDO being up there.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
No. Microtransactions aren't included in the chart and DLC would be a separate entry.

Those games just continue to sell really well.
Ah. I'm not necessarily surprised but yeah, they would probably be up top constantly if micro-transactions were included which would make the list considerably less useful.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
This is really heartening to see.

Capcom has really done their best to turn things around after a middling start to this generation: from exciting game previews turning into vaporware (Deep Dive), promised new engines that have since disappeared into the aether (Panta Rhei), and what seemed like stagnation of once prominent and industry-topping franchises (DMC), they have managed to turn things impressively around.

Whatever management and the development teams have done to get their ducks in a row, the effect and outcome has been nothing short of astounding. The level of quality with their output has me hoping that some other Japanese companies that I used to hold in high esteem - Square-Enix, I'm looking at you - will be able to muster the same focus and redefinition that Capcom has done with the last two years.
I think creating the RE engine was one of the best investments they have ever made. It's efficient and very good