derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I'm a technical artist and I'll have to work with an AI (test, brainstorm and workflow knowledge building) project soon.

And while I'm really not a fan of generative AI for art/creation, I'm looking forward on seeing the margins and what can be done. Ideally and hopefully, the human creativity and skill is still the most important factor.

We are very restricted by what models and inputs/checkpoints we are allowed to use, powered and feeded by our own server and art. So that's already good imo.

We will see...

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's almost certain that Sam Altman himself had a hand in casting the actress who did the voice template for Sky, since he clearly wants ChatGPT to sound like the AI in Her. But it also seems pretty clear that there was another real actress, and that she did the work back in 2023 - since Sky has been available in ChatGPT since last year.

That would have all been fine and above board, but Altman seems to have gone a bit power-mad and decided that an ersatz Johansson wasn't good enough, and that he had the resources to cast the real thing - not banking on the fact that she wouldn't be interested.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
Yes OpenAI share their models and you can use it within your own code. Each request costs a tiny bit of money, so you can't use it infinitely. Most AI companies are just using ChatGPT for you in an applied way and with good prompts.

Other companies like Facebook also have their own AI models - their you can actually download, run on your own PC and use for free.
To be clear OpenAI do not share their models, they give access to an API (including to researchers) everything they create is closed source and opaque. Even the "papers" they publish on those models give no description of the architecture of the model, they're pretty much PR pieces to congratulate themselves on the quality of their results.

I get what you meant to say... I'm just a salty doctoral researcher whose field is increasingly dominated by products from the industry side of things, with no skin in the peer review game.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Altman's reference was intentional and has nothing to do with Scarlett Johansson's voice, which people here would know if they actually watched OpenAI's conference on GPT-4o's technical capabilities (and how they compare to the Her OS' capabilities) instead of merely posting reactionary takes to sensationalist headlines. Altman talked it up the beforehand, suggesting it would "feel like magic", similar to what people felt about the technology showcased in Her. Johansson would merely be a bonus for marketing purposes.

There is a real blind spot for vetting AI news stories on this forum and it does not reflect well on the integrity of this community and its guidelines. It is truly unfortunate. In this case, I've taken the time and effort to do my part in informing the community and helping it escape its echo chamber of their anti-AI bubble, and the information is met with opinions based on intuition and conspiracy. I don't know what else to do.
Keep doing what your doing as it's valuable. We need all points of view if we are to form the most complete opinions and understandings.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

A landmark multi-year global partnership with News Corp​

News Corp and OpenAI today announced a historic, multi-year agreement to bring News Corp news content to OpenAI. Through this partnership, OpenAI has permission to display content from News Corp mastheads in response to user questions and to enhance its products, with the ultimate objective of providing people the ability to make informed choices based on reliable information and news sources.

OpenAI will receive access to current and archived content from News Corp's major news and information publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, MarketWatch, Investor's Business Daily, FN, and New York Post; The Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun; The Australian, news.com.au, The Daily Telegraph, The Courier Mail, The Advertiser, and Herald Sun; and others. The partnership does not include access to content from any of News Corp's other businesses.

Some questionable publishers there though there is no Fox News yet…

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Altman's reference was intentional and has nothing to do with Scarlett Johansson's voice, which people here would know if they actually watched OpenAI's conference on GPT-4o's technical capabilities (and how they compare to the Her OS' capabilities) instead of merely posting reactionary takes to sensationalist headlines. Altman talked it up the beforehand, suggesting it would "feel like magic", similar to what people felt about the technology showcased in Her. Johansson would merely be a bonus for marketing purposes.

There is a real blind spot for vetting AI news stories on this forum and it does not reflect well on the integrity of this community and its guidelines. It is truly unfortunate. In this case, I've taken the time and effort to do my part in informing the community and helping it escape its echo chamber of their anti-AI bubble, and the information is met with opinions based on intuition and conspiracy. I don't know what else to do.

I appreciate your posts and outlook. Thank you!

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I always get surprised when I see videos about how blind people are able to use accessibility features to navigate smartphones, thinking iPhones in particular because I don't know much about android. I was thinking and all of these new ai features that are starting to come to smartphones are really going to elevate accessibility in some regards yeah? Thinking about things like the ability to summarize text, generate responses, etc.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Keep doing what your doing as it's valuable. We need all points of view if we are to form the most complete opinions and understandings.

I appreciate your posts and outlook. Thank you!

Thank you both.

I always get surprised when I see videos about how blind people are able to use accessibility features to navigate smartphones, thinking iPhones in particular because I don't know much about android. I was thinking and all of these new ai features that are starting to come to smartphones are really going to elevate accessibility in some regards yeah? Thinking about things like the ability to summarize text, generate responses, etc.

Be My Eyes seems to be a massive hit within the blind community, and I'm really glad that they have early access to such transformative technology. This demo was pretty awesome:

View: https://youtu.be/KwNUJ69RbwY?si=f1WvNDSEeouSf4xC