• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghgghggh

Banned
May 2, 2018
No. This is wrong. What about drug abusers, alcohol abusers? What about morbidly obese people? What about diabetics who continue to eat the same way? What about asthmatics / COPD who continue to smoke? What about people who are not complaint with their medications?

70 percent of the patients I treat could avoid their illness by taking authority over theit health. The role of a doctor is to help people acutely through the illness and chronically by supporting the holistic changes one must do to regain health.

This doctor is not a healer. This is BS.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Emergency doctors should only refuse treatment if the treatment puts them or others at risk. Non emergency doctors should be able to put in place general non discriminatory safety guidelines in order to protect themselves and others. Since the vaccine is easy to obtain (in the US), it seems reasonable to demand vaccination before treatment.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. This is wrong. What about drug abusers, alcohol abusers? What about morbidly obese people? What about diabetics who continue to eat the same way? What about asthmatics / COPD who continue to smoke? What about people who are not complaint with their medications?

70 percent of the patients I treat could avoid their illness by taking authority over theit health. The role of a doctor is to help people acutely through the illness and chronically by supporting the holistic changes one must do to regain health.

You can deny alcohol abusers in the usa. For liver transplants (or whatever the term is for a replacement) its 100% legal to do so.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
this place is really cheering someone refusing to treat people?

The first - and most effective - form of treatment these people can get is available at every pharmacy on every street corner, and it doesn't even cost anything. These people ignore the advice of medical professionals and then when shit gets hairy they have no qualms about taking up a hospital bed that someone who did care about their own safety as well as others' and still got fucked could use instead.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like his own private clinic or office or whatever.

He's not a Hospital or especially an Emergency Room refusing to treat people

I think he's perfectly within his rights to say don't come into his office unvaccinated. Get another doctor if you want to stay unvaccinated.

Oct 27, 2017

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like he won't treat them if they're currently sick and see him. It sounds more like if you want him as your primary care physician you need to be vaccinated. I doubt the people he mentioned asking him about the vaccination were currently suffering from covid. I think that's a distinction that's important

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

You can't spread drug and alcohol abuse or asthma to others.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hopefully it's a troll to get people vaccinated, otherwise he might lose his license
he certainly will not.

yes. they deserve to be treated. you think they shouldn't be treated?
Sometimes you have to show people the stick to get them to wake the fuck up, realize they're wrong, and get back on the right path. Temporary ostracization works in some cases and is fine to implement as a last-ditch effort. Times like this call for it, as this shit is literally life and death and has been for more than a year now. The only thing standing between Americans and vaccination in August of 2021 is ignorance or stupidity (immunocompromised nothwitstanding). Sometimes both at the same time, but it's only one or the other.

Oct 27, 2017
Since the organization that is actually responsible for making society safer won't do their job, perhaps this is the way forward.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong here, doctors cut the patient-doctor relationship all the time for patients who refuse to follow medical advice. All they have to do is give notice so the patients have time to bridge care to another doctor, this is the same thing just with a more general notice.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on board with him not treating them for COVID-related symptoms or issues, since the solution is so easily available and they'd be taking his time and resources from other patients.. But if someone comes in for something completely irrelevant, the stance is on shakier ground imo.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
This thread separating the categorical imperative crowd from the consequentialists like a sieve

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't believe in the disease... I don't see why they should be offended if the doctor refuses to treat them for it when they refused to get vaccinated.

That said... it's probably easier in Alabama to tell whether you can get the vaccine and choose not to versus another country.

Oct 27, 2017
This is disgusting. What a callous piece of shit

I'd say the people refusing to take the vaccine are the callous pieces of shit. Why should he choose to treat people who refuse to protect against a disease when he probably has hundreds or maybe thousands of other needy patients who are unable to take simple steps to protect against their ailments?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently thinking that Covid treatment should require an immediate vaccination. You don't sign to get vaccinated = You don't get treatment.

Like the Sheriff's office going house to house to tell people to evacuate town because a fire is close and possibly coming. Stay with your home? Sign this so we can identify your body in case you lose the bet.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

the solution to those ailments isnt 1-2 free shots you can get by walking into CVS.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
A doctor in Alsace (the French region near Germany) did the same thing a week ago.

I don't know the US Code of Conduct, but this French GP explained, in the newspaper article, that the French Code of Conduct allowed him to break his patient-doctor relationships for almost any reason, without legal risk on his part: he just has to give them enough notice and he must give to those of his patients who don't want to be vaccinated their patient file. He also said there is only one exception: he can not refuse to treat an emergency.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This can be very easily framed as him recommending the vaccine as his only option or preliminary requirement for medical treatment against covid related difficulties. The question is more so is a doctor required to circumvent medical treatment that is available and can be administered without risk if the patient decides they don't want it for reasons unrelated to the established medical consensus? There's a better answer to this than i can give i guess. But i would wager it moves towards "yes" the closer we are to a condition of extreme risk to the person and others close to them, which is the case with COVID.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't see a Doctor who is Anti-vax, but I also wouldn't see a doctor who turns away patients.

I once had a doctor ask me to see someone else because of a personal issue and I ended seeing him for any issue.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
People are really over blowing this. If A doctor can refuse to see me if I'm not wearing pants then they probably should be able to with vaccines. There would be a difference if it was critical care or emergency services

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Pretty fucked up IMO. Everyone should have a right to healthcare, and there is no love or human compassion in not helping someone in need.

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually legal for private clinics. FYI many doctors/pediatricians refuse patients that won't get vaccinated (even pre-COVID). This doesn't fall under EMTALA like hospitals/ERs that cannot refuse patients.

note, I specifically chose a pediatrician for my kids that refuses unvaccinated kids unless they have a legitimate medical exemption because it puts my kids at risk when they go for check ups.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Can't doctors turn down patients who need a new liver if they're an alcoholic?

Apparently so....

Again, I see no problem with this....and I am kinda shocked to see some push back about this.....

this place is really cheering someone refusing to treat people?
If he is private practice, primary care physician.....what can anyone do....

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like he won't treat them if they're currently sick and see him. It sounds more like if you want him as your primary care physician you need to be vaccinated. I doubt the people he mentioned asking him about the vaccination were currently suffering from covid. I think that's a distinction that's important

If you found out your general practitioner was anti vaxx would you actually stay with them?

the solution to those ailments isnt 1-2 free shots you can get by walking into CVS.

Exactly....what are ppl actually arguing for here....

I don't see anything wrong here, doctors cut the patient-doctor relationship all the time for patients who refuse to follow medical advice. All they have to do is give notice so the patients have time to bridge care to another doctor, this is the same thing just with a more general notice.
Agree.

If I have to take medicine for some condition and I dont....what happens next.....

Again....what are some ppl actually arguing for in here....this is about getting ppl vaccinated....or do some ppl argue just to argue....

This is actually legal for private clinics. FYI many doctors/pediatricians refuse patients that won't get vaccinated (even pre-COVID). This doesn't fall under EMTALA like hospitals/ERs that cannot refuse patients.
One more time for the congregation....

Ppl that are against this....there is always the emergency room.....

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
He 100% can do this if he's in private practice. My family has private practice doctors and they turn away patients all the time, especially if patient is a piece of shit or obnoxious.

In the ER? lol no

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently thinking that Covid treatment should require an immediate vaccination. You don't sign to get vaccinated = You don't get treatment.
Agreed 100%. If you're willing to take up Hospital time, resources, and people away to help you get better (which, surprise surprise, would include injecting you with all sorts of medicine), then you should sign on for them to do everything they can to keep you healthy in the future

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Like the Sheriff's office going house to house to tell people to evacuate town because a fire is close and possibly coming. Stay with your home? Sign this so we can identify your body in case you lose the bet.
If you have COVID-19 currently, you are inelligible to get a vaccine for 30 or 60 days. I can't remember which. It's why doctors have to tell patients "sorry, no" when they beg for the vaccine just before they get intubated and put on a vent. It's not out of malice; CDC guidelines mandate they can't get it for that period of time.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If you have COVID-19 currently, you are inelligible to get a vaccine for 30 or 60 days. I can't remember which. It's why doctors have to tell patients "sorry, no" when they beg for the vaccine just before they get intubated and put on a vent. It's not out of malice; CDC guidelines mandate they can't get it for that period of time.
This might be recommended, but people can just lie. That's harder to do in hospital. But if you have COVID there is nothing to stop you from walking maskless into a Walgreens and getting the shot.

The only defense we have against that selfishness and stupidity is the question "do you have COVID?" Which, not a great place to be.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
yep, ER is a different matter. My dad is an ER physician of 40 years. He's treated crazies, racists, weekly gunshots and stabbings, everything you can think of. But those people also get that "ER bill" afterwards. And that's a motherfucker.

This might be recommended, but people can just lie. That's harder to do in hospital. But if you have COVID there is nothing to stop you from walking maskless into a Walgreens and getting the shot.

The only defense we have against that selfishness and stupidity is the question "do you have COVID?" Which, not a great place to be.
True. With my team, our patients have already had a PCR test in the last 72 hours and if they're not honest with us, it means they lied to their employer and they don't want those problems. So we don't really have to worry about guessing. But out there in the field, yea.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
This will just make your chances of survival worse. You're better off not getting the shot if you are in critical condition

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucked up IMO. Everyone should have a right to healthcare, and there is no love or human compassion in not helping someone in need.
The people refusing the vaccine lack love and human compassion. They don't want to even follow the simple rule the doctor has. (Except the ones that asked for a vaccine)

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is probably the result of the compassion fatigue thing that was mentioned a while ago.

It's not cool for a doctor to turn away patients, but at the same time I also kind of understand the process that led to this decision.

Oct 26, 2017

None of your "what-about"'s are even close to relevant let alone comparable. We're talking about a pandemic-level virus that can spread faster than you can say Bobs your uncle. This has implications for this particular doctor treating other patients as well. A diabetic/smoker/COPD/etc. isn't going to put someone else in harm's way due to their selfishness.

Furthermore, the Hippocratic oath is not legally binding. It's merely a signal for ethics.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This will just make your chances of survival worse. You're better off not getting the shot if you are in critical condition
You may not be critical ("you" being anyone who does this). I know a couple of people who knowingly got the shot after being infected. One of them literally walked maskless into a Walgreens and got the shot. That's why I mentioned this example in my earlier post. People are *the worst.*