• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly for offering gift cards for positive reviews.

Amazon confirms it removed RavPower, a popular phone battery and charger brand

One month ago, Amazon-first gadget brands Aukey and Mpow suddenly and mysteriously disappeared from the giant online retailer's storefront, with almost all their electronics vanishing from Amazon's shelves. Today, popular battery and charger brand RavPower has completely disappeared as well — and Amazon now confirms to The Verge that it was the one that removed RavPower from its store, and that it removed Aukey and Mpow previously.

Amazon hasn't yet said why it took the action on RavPower, but it's not hard to imagine what happened here. On Sunday, The Wall Street Journal's Nicole Nguyen ran a story about how her new RavPower charger included an offer for a $35 gift card in exchange for a review, something that Amazon confirmed was a violation of company policy. Amazon banned incentivized reviews in 2016. Nguyen tweeted about RavPower's removal earlier today:

By and large, this is exactly what happened to Aukey, Mpow, and other lesser-known electronics retailers last month — except here, Amazon has been a bit more thorough. You can actually still find a couple of Aukey listings on Amazon, while RavPower seems to have none.

Another important difference may be that RavPower has its own separate online shop that ranks high in Google search, so it may not strictly need to depend on Amazon. RavPower didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

Amazon would not tell us last month if it actually removed Aukey and Mpow, merely giving us a generic statement that suggested it generally suspends sellers that violate "the integrity of our store," but it confirmed both removals to The Verge today. At the time, Aukey and Mpow didn't respond to requests for comment.

more at the link

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I read the title and thought they were blowing up and was glad i didn't buy one yesterday. Yet the gift card for a review is pretty common, my mom buys a lot of jewelry on amazon and they come with cards telling you to do that shit

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Damn, what sucks is they were actually solid manufacturers, so it was also dumb of em to try to game the system even after they got clout (that's some small time business shit). Amazon is funny because fake reviews = bad. Fake products = good.

Aug 30, 2020
Oh Wow. I bought a pair of Mpow headphones. It did come with one of those scammy 'rate us 5 stars, get a gift card'. But for the cheap price they're not terrible. We actually have 2 pairs of the same model, my wife's one is perfect but mine has a small rumble defect. I use them for work.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have products from each of them (Aukey and RavPower both purchased via Amazon). Personally, I always take the reviews with a bit of a grain of salt as I've gotten tons of "if you leave a nice review we'll give you a coupon off your next product" when buying replacement batteries, cables, etc.. over the years. With that said, I've been legitimately happy with the products from each.

Oh Wow. I bought a pair of Mpow headphones. It did come with one of those scammy 'rate us 5 stars, get a gift card'. But for the cheap price they're not terrible. We actually have 2 pairs of the same model, my wife's one is perfect but mine has a small rumble defect. I use them for work.

Are they the 059 model? That's what I have and I like them quite a bit and see them as an insane value. Mine also came with that cheesy gift card for good review thing, which is certainly not very inspiring.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I use aukey and ravpower daily and have no complaints. I should have got my $35.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, last year I bought a Rav portable charger and it came with a little card that offered me to write a ***** review for a gift card.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
...wait? Is that seriously banned? Literally every fucking product I get on Amazon tries to bribe me with a gift card for a review.

Also it's kinda bullshit they pulled Aukey stuff, they make some amazing USB-C cables, and you can get them in a 6 pack of varying sizes for like 30 bucks. If they and get reinstated there goes my go to cable restock whenever I need more cables.

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a shame that these companies have to resort to these practices because oftentimes the products are actually very solid for the price.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Someone I knew was in on these kinds of things, there where FB groups were manufacturers and sellers would give full price promo codes for items, in exchange for proof of positive reviews. He had a whole storage unit of junk he got that way lol.

Sep 15, 2020
Didn't own too many of their products. Maybe 1 or 2 headphones in the household. Used some of their bluetooth transmitters a few years ago.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Ravpower had solid products. Their GaN charger is amazing.

I want to highlight that Amazon's failure here as well. Not just in competing against some of the most popular sellers by offering their own branded products, but also doing little in the way of seller quality control. There are so many sellers peddling the same products seemingly from the same factory under different (often random weird ) names, propped up by fake reviews - finding quality is increasingly difficult.

Edit - Now I remember something. One day I received a box full of Aukey chargers I never ordered. Contacted Amazon customer service, who told me "it may have been a mistake, no need to return them". Well, a week later I get a message from Aukey asking for positive reviews. Told them to piss off and gifted the chargers to friends.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
My ravpower GAN charger is honestly one of the most impressive tech things I own.

Oct 28, 2017
Was wondering what was going on with Aukey when I tried to look up a battery I bought a few months ago and the page went nowhere.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Mpow had legit Bluetooth speakers and headphones lol. Shame.

Also the people who sold my weighted blanket to me need to be careful because totally did the incentivized review thing too lol.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
A couple orders last month included a note saying they'd give a gift card, often more than the cost of the actual product, to leave a review. Note didn't mention a positive review, but I didn't go through with the process to see.

I think Amazon cracked down on bot reviews. Couple sites would scan product pages and determine if they were legit or not. Bribing legit customers seems like a way around that. The reviews are a mess either way. Used to be reading 4/3/2 star reviews had a better impression of the product than the 5/1 star ones.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
They don't actually care about incentivized reviews (and those are absolutely everywhere now) - I assume they're just getting rid of brands that compete strongly against their own AmazonBasics brand.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
They don't actually care about incentivized reviews (and those are absolutely everywhere now) - I assume they're just getting rid of brands that compete strongly against their own AmazonBasics brand.
So they didn't do the thing so they don't care, now they do the thing, and they don't care.

OP
OP
Book One

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I read the title and thought they were blowing up and was glad i didn't buy one yesterday. Yet the gift card for a review is pretty common, my mom buys a lot of jewelry on amazon and they come with cards telling you to do that shit

yeah i see those cards pretty frequently. was surprised that amazon supposedly cared

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i have mpow earphones i use when i go running and an aukey dash cam. sucks, but i dont have any issues (yet) with their products.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a pretty nice cat brush that came with one of those "review for gift card" coupons that basically paid more than what I paid for the brush.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, I actually have mpow headphones I use all the time and ravpower makes some decent stuff. I assume there is more to this and amazon is once again using an excuse to take out someone who competes with their own brand shit or whatever because that gift card thing is common as fuck all over amazon. Hell last Xmas I got a £30 gift card for amazon from my sister, I used it to buy a gaming headset on sale and when it arrived it had a card asking for a review in exchange for a £50 gift card. I reviewed the headset fairly not like a "5 stars amazing!" Review and they sent me the gift card, honestly couldn't believe I ended up with more than I spent haha.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I love the Ravpower GaN chargers. Super nice quality and work well.
It did come with the scammy request for the review for a GC. My cousin did it but they never gave him the GC. Oof.

Well, they'll live and learn.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a "brand ambassador" for ESR. I don't get gift cards, but I do get some pretty bomb ass discounts for phone cases and such seasonally, pretty much when Apple and Samsung launch products.

Sometimes, I wish they'd give me gift cards.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer to lose another purveyor of cheap and effective electronics, but these companies gotta learn that cooking the review books ain't gonna fly.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
They're still on eBay, and Anker is still solid. And in my experience, some of the "this might set your house on fire" tier brands have been really good too.

Hope Anker is on the straight and narrow. Their powerbanks have been great.
Looking at the article in question, sounds like the FTC has been putting the squeeze on storefronts to take action regarding fake and incentivized reviews.
It's a really rampant practice. Every other random sundry I buy comes with a poorly translated request for a review in exchange for discounts and stuff. I know its a pretty big gray area.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the article in question, sounds like the FTC has been putting the squeeze on storefronts to take action regarding fake and incentivized reviews.
It's a really rampant practice. Every other random sundry I buy comes with a poorly translated request for a review in exchange for discounts and stuff. I know its a pretty big gray area.
That's why you sit back and wait for them to ask you to become a brand ambassador so you can hype up their products on Reddit in favor of coupons and discounts, which they apparently never vet whatsoever lol.

Oct 25, 2017
No way any of these companies survive without Amazon. They had to be supplying 90% of their sales. TaoTronics' bluetooth to AUX that automatically turns on when the car does is an absolute game changer.

Oct 25, 2017
aukey stuff has been good to me hope they can just knock that shit off and get back on the store
i dont think they actually need the fake reviews their stuff is typically fine

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I got Ankey and Anker mixed up as well lol. I got the fishing for 5 stars on a few products to get a reward, but I always ignore it since it's... fishy.

Edit: ohhh it's Aukey not Ankey. My brains getting confused.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
100% have done the review thing for gift cards multiple times. Have actually got maybe $40-50 back by doing it too.

Even signed up to "test future products", however, once I was actually selected to review a product, it was A) a cheap pair of Bluetooth buds that I didn't want, nor need, and B) I needed to BUY the item first, review it, and then send them an email and they'd send me the purchase price as a "refund".

I assume this is so whatever review I wrote was marked as just a confirmed purchaser vs it noting I got the product for a discounted price for review. I'm thinking this is probably the bigger issue that got the brands banned? Was wondering how they were getting away with it, but it seems they didn't!

Regardless, I was sketched out at that point (at least with the gift cards before, it was after I had already bought the thing I actually wanted/needed), so I never did the "product test" they offered.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I get these offers in exchange for reviews from a SHITLOAD of stuff my girl buys from Amazon, I think I've gotten one too in something I bought.

They are going to have their hands full cracking down on this. We never bothered and assumed they were scams anyway. Didn't realize they actually paid out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Anker does this too. I've gotten tons of free shit from them to write good reviews, and then I gave one product 3 or 4 stars, and they never sent me anything again. I like Anker products but they obviously juice the reviews.

The biggest items they sent... this $300+ party speaker, a giant fucking bluetooth speaker, and then a $150 smaller version of it a few years later. But also numerous USB wires, GAN chargers, batteries. The giant speaker is too big, but the smaller version of it is actually great ("Anker SoundCore Rave Neo" or something).

The Genie is out of the bottle and it's too late. It's so easy to spot juiced reviews. I think people who aren't informed still trust Amazon reviews but anybody moderately on the internet or who reads newspapers knows there's massive issues. Amazon just didn't care, and now their review platform has little trust, but that's why you have this rise of 3rd party review sites like the NYT WireCutter, which are much better than what you could get from AMazon anyway... and they frequently give these products good reviews. Like I think the best USB battery review is a RavPower one.

Another trick is to refund anybody who has a less than 5 star review, if they take down or amend their review. Write a 3 star review for a competitive product and you're almost definitely going to get a response asking you yhow they can make it better, including a full refund and you get to keep the product.

You can frequently tell juiced reviews if you get a bunch of "CERTIFIED PURCHASE" reviews all around the same day, or in consistent intervals, and most are shite reviews. When companies launch a new product they'll send out a ton of free ones or paid ones, and a lot of the deliveries get there around the same time, the reviews get written around the same day. And then there will be silecne in the reviews for 3 months, and then you'll have a new wave of 5-star reviews all around the same time.

Is Anker considered expensive? Or is that the joke?

Of these types of brands, I usually stick with Anker. I have a few hard drive enclosures and dongles from Ugreen, and had good luck with them as well.

Yeah, I genuinely like Anker products. They're designed well, they do what they say, and they usually hold up over several years. ALso, they juice me with tons of free shit that I don't want. I take that back, I actually do what their giant power battery, the $400-$1000 one with the four plugs and a thousand outlets that can power your boiler in a pinch. I *DO* want that for free, Hello ANker if you're listening.

Their braided USB wires hold up and they don't have as many quality issues as other cheap brands.

The biggest problem I have with anker chargers (outlet ones) is that with their larger 2-outlet chargers they rarely have the tension to stay in a wall, so you have to use them on a power strip that's flat.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
My wife bought some solar pathway lights from a company who offered her a $10 gift card for a review. Received a physical gift card like 3 days later.

I mean, I get that it's incentivized but the product itself is great and we would have given it a 5-star review regardless. I think the money incentive is to encourage people to actually make a review, not lie about how they would rate it.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can they do this to like 90% of all of the other companies on their site? I always get those cards from all sorts of products I buy. Always weird off-brand companies that have hundreds or thousands of reviews.