• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
gpuopen.com

AMD FidelityFX is now available for Microsoft® Xbox

Game developers can now access select AMD FidelityFX effects with specific optimizations for Windows® and Xbox.
We have always believed that our AMD FidelityFX family of effects should be accessible: truly open source, free to modify, highly optimized, and cross-platform.

The adoption of AMD FidelityFX amongst game developers, integrating the technologies into more than 40 PC game titles, has validated our belief that having these available in this way was the correct choice when launched back in 2019. It was always intended that this would allow for easier integration by developers who needed to ship on consoles as well as PC.

Today, we are very happy to announce that AMD FidelityFX is now available for Xbox!

This news makes it even easier than before to write cross-platform games, with developers able to access select AMD FidelityFX effects with specific optimizations for Windows® and Xbox. Game developers can now utilize further platform-specific optimizations with AMD FidelityFX, straight from the Xbox Series X|S Game Development Kit.

This development is very exciting to all at AMD who have worked to deliver these effects into the hands of even more developers – and we will continue to strive for our highly optimized effects to be at the forefront of cross-platform game development.

Xbox Game Developers interested in getting started with AMD FidelityFX can do so with the latest Game Development Kit (GDK), where samples for Contrast Adaptive Sharpening, Variable Shading, and Raytraced Shadow Denoiser technologies are available.

For more information, see our content over at Microsoft® Game Stack Live, including the following sessions:

• "Denoising Raytraced Soft Shadows on Xbox Series X|S and Windows with FidelityFX" details the implementation of the AMD FidelityFX Denoiser, and optimizations which benefit both Xbox Series X|S and PC.
  • "AMD Ryzen™ Processor Software Optimization" dives into CPU internals across multiple Zen generations to uncover best practices for your projects.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Amazing tech MS built into the XSX/S!! We aren't even close to seeing what devs will pull off years to come

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
This doesnt seem specific to Xbox. PS5 should be able to take advantage of this too.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is what Microsoft was waiting on AMD to deliver certain hardware for that caused the Series consoles to start manufacturing late, right?

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
This is what Microsoft was waiting on AMD to deliver certain hardware for that caused the Series consoles to start manufacturing late, right?

Dont think so. I think FidelityFX should be possible on both the PS5 and Series processors but I may be wrong.

My read on the MS wait was they needed ML capabilities

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This doesnt seem specific to Xbox. PS5 should be able to take advantage of this too.
Article is about FidelityFX on Xbox now, announced at Game Stack Live.
"Today, we are very happy to announce that AMD FidelityFX is now available for Xbox!

This news makes it even easier than before to write cross-platform games, with developers able to access select AMD FidelityFX effects with specific optimizations for Windows® and Xbox. Game developers can now utilize further platform-specific optimizations with AMD FidelityFX, straight from the Xbox Series X|S Game Development Kit. "

You: This isn't specific to Xbox

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. This is a toolkit that makes it easier for developers to implement specific effects (like denoising and sharpening) and it works across both RDNA and RDNA2 architectures.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I know this is a PR thing from a Microsoft Game Stack thing, but this toolset should be available on PS5 later if it's not already available, right?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wounder how it compares to dlss, it wont be as good given lack of hardware, but I wounder how close to dlss it ends up being.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
More details on VRS on the XSX :)

EzcH0j-X0AM20Jb

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not but this is probably a boon to developers due to Gamepass going forward. Makes it easier to create Xbox and PC ports from the get go, and is why they made this announcement around PC and Xbox development.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a PR thing from a Microsoft Game Stack thing, but this toolset should be available on PS5 later if it's not already available, right?
Yes, AMD mentioned it numerous times in the conferences. The real question is if Sony'll want to use it though, considering they already have their own upscaling methods.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. This is a toolkit that makes it easier for developers to implement specific effects and it works across both RDNA and RDNA2 architectures.

Right I know this is a toolkit thing but Phil was saying they were waiting on certain hardware so it could have certain features that take full advantage of RDNA2...was just putting 2+2 together..perhaps incorrectly though🤷

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Awesome. I really wonder how the Series X is going to shape up in a couple years.

Not only is it an absolute beast hardware wise, there's so many features that haven't been utilised too.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I kinda wounder how it compares to dlss, it wont be as good given lack of hardware, but I wounder how close to dlss it ends up being.

Don't misinterpret the thing... this is not the DLSS equivalent, Fidelity FX is just a generic moniker for AMD effects, dlss equivalent will be "FidelityFX super resolution" (which is not yet available since it it still in research/development)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Right I know this is a toolkit thing but Phil was saying they were waiting on certain hardware so it could have certain features that take full advantage of RDNA2...was just putting 2+2 together..perhaps incorrectly though🤷
HW VRS, mesh shaders and more is exclusive to Xbox and PC. PS doesn't support mesh shaders, however they use their customized primitive shaders and therefore use a different path towards rome so to speak.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Tangentially connected since these were all announced/shown in the same GameStack, here is a video demonstration of XVA and SFS courtesy of Dimple :

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Tangentially connected since these were all announced/shown in the same GameStack, here is a video demonstration of XVA and SFS courtesy of Dimple :
SFS is such a great software solution. 2-3x multiplayer compared to next gen consoles with SSD is crazy. But it's even more eye opening when looking at last gen consoles. For the same scene last gen needed >2600mb, while Xbox Series with SFS need like ~560mb.

Last edited:

veggiesaurus

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
No, because Series X will be able to leverage SFS, too. If you meant One X than yes, SFS among others things will let the Series S use the RAM pool much more efficiently than One X.
But the lower target resolution on the series S means fewer full-resolution textures will be required, so it will definitely help make up for the memory deficit in a more dynamic way, without sacrificing texture quality overall.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This should help cross development between Xbox and PC I think. Makes sense with XS consoles having a full RDNA 2 GPU.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
SFS is such a great software solution. 2-3x multiplayer compared to next gen consoles with SSD is crazy. But it's even more eye opening when looking at last gen consoles. For the same scene last gen needed >2600mb, while Xbox Series with SFS need like ~560mb.
Only halfway through the video, but this is my fave new "non consumer" tech from Xbox. The points in the tech demo are awesome, I don't think we've had a game go from 20~ second load time to .19 second load time yet.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I'm going to be honest, you packed a lot of anxious desperation into one sentence here.
Lol sorry mate. I understand my wording is off here but generally I am called out for being an Xbox fanboy.
What I was trying to say is that this is not the secret sauce that takes full advantage of the Series hardware. I think that would have to come from the DirectX team

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Gears 5 is the guinea pig for all new XBox tech seemingly.
There is another guinea pig and that's Turn 10. They are usually at the forefront when it comes to helping designing the consoles and so on.
Only halfway through the video, but this is my fave new "non consumer" tech from Xbox. The points in the tech demo are awesome, I don't think we've had a game go from 20~ second load time to .19 second load time yet.
it's awesome, but please remember this is just about loading textures in the demo and in games other data needs to be loaded, too.

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 is being shown as having benefits, I wouldn't be shocked if they patched them in. Gears 5 is the guinea pig for all new XBox tech seemingly.
VRS has nothing to do with FidelityFX though. It's a DX12U feature and Gears already uses it.

devblogs.microsoft.com

Announcing DirectX 12 Ultimate - DirectX Developer Blog

It is time for DirectX to evolve once again. From the team that has brought PC and Console gamers the latest in graphics innovation for nearly 25 years, we are beyond pleased to bring gamers DirectX 12 Ultimate, the culmination of the best graphics technology we’ve ever introduced in an...

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
it's awesome, but please remember this is just about loading textures in the demo and in games other data needs to be loaded, too.
Of course. Tech demo is showing off it's primary utility, and yea, it's not exactly fair to compare it to a game lol. I did finish the video and I liked how they emphasized that the tech will reduce pop in