• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the controls are good and it has good WiFi and a decent screen, this could be my handheld Moonlight/Steam Link/Xbox Remote Play device of my dreams.

I don't care about native Android games or emulation, but having a solid device to stream my PC and Xbox games to would be a gamechanger. Right now I'm using my old phone permanently cradled into a GameSir X2, but the lack of audio passthrough makes it less than ideal for many games.

At $300 I could probably sell my old phone and the X2 and have most of the cost covered.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Figured Samsung would have been the next portable maker. Them or a chinese conpany

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
i always figured the Xbox/Surface team would make one but they placed all their bets on the Surface Duo...

Hope they still make one though

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you have UMPCs that run windows 10 like the gpd win 3 and aya neo. Who wants a qualcomm android switch knockoff? I mean, I guess it can do emulation, but there are cheaper emulation android handhelds that are actually pocketable, not sure the form factor is gonna make it a plus.
Those devices don't have flagship specs and struggle with more demanding emulation. Those devices only handle maybe two N64 and Saturn games, and PSP games like God of War struggle as well.

If you went a decent experience with those types of games, you're going to to need a flagship or mid tier Android device, or Windows. And the Windows devices suffer with battery life.

Qualcomm making a gaming device will spur the emulation device market to step up in their part choices. There's one device that uses refurbished flagship phones from like 2016 for their portables, but that's one device in the market. Something with a Snapdragon, even the cheaper ones, would be a beast.

Dec 4, 2017
I mean you have UMPCs that run windows 10 like the gpd win 3 and aya neo. Who wants a qualcomm android switch knockoff? I mean, I guess it can do emulation, but there are cheaper emulation android handhelds that are actually pocketable, not sure the form factor is gonna make it a plus.
The GPD Win 3 is around $900. The Aya Neo is around $700. That's a fair chunk of money.
A Qualcomm portable with a final price of $400 would be quite a ways below that.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see what's target demographic and usage scenario for this device. Emulators? Sure, but that sector is too niche, doesn't bring in revue from new software sales and isn't mainstream enough outside of circles like ERA. Streaming? Perhaps, but you can also do it on a phone that you already have at no extra cost. Fortnite? I suppose... but you gotta be really hardcore about Fortnite on mobile to buy this device instead of playing on your phone like majority of Fortnite mobile players. I just think this will go the way of Steam machines.
Not sure where you're going with this. Your original question was whether this device was news. It's still news even if it doesn't have a massive audience waiting for it (like Steam machines were news back when they were announced). It indeed probably won't be mainstream and will be limited to enthusiast niches in places like ResetEra, but here we are on ResetEra with those enthusiast niches.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Mobile SoCs in a Switch form factor already exist, they are called tablets.

What makes the Switch better are the console specific APIs, not having the big Android OS overhead, and of course the games. Heck, the same chip in the Switch was used in the shield TV and Pixel and didn't cause much of an impact compared to Switch.

Qualcomm might be trying to show off their SoC to potential customers who want to build a console around it but even then its an uphill battle. Other than that, I can't see a generic Android Qualcomm SoC Switch knock off being competitive
Yeah, Switch is an actual Plattform - these other devices are just Android tablets with no retail presence and mostly relying on Google Play.

People always bring up emulation but honestly most mobile devices for years have been good enough to emulate a ton of devices people care about.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
Well, it might be interesting to read the article:

I would categorize the 'epic games store' storefront that only allows people to launch fortnight/buy v-bucks as a fancy android app. I was curious if Qualcomm (and Epic) planned to bring games that would not normally be ported to phones / the android ecosystem. For example a portable capable of running reasonably pared down versions of titles such as GTA, Resident Evil, or Flight simulator would be really interesting.

Qualcomm has the technical chops to make advanced SOCs. Are they entering the market as a new 'console manufacturer' (Xbox, PS, Nintendo) or just testing the waters with an interesting piece of hardware kit?

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I would definitely not mind a well-built tablet but only if there are dedicated Switch-like gaming experiences as well. The Play store (and definitely the iOS App Store) has improved in that regard but there's still a sore spot for day-and-date cross platform releases. I believe Google should have prioritized that over game streaming.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Qualcomm has the technical chops to make advanced SOCs. Are they entering the market as a new 'console manufacturer' (Xbox, PS, Nintendo) or just testing the waters with an interesting piece of hardware kit?

Well, if its a "serious attempt" I would consider it to be a poor one (given the history of similar attempts). But given their own pedigree it does seem sensible to get a more 'high powered' tablet out there with a focus on gaming (which is what it is)

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
www.androidpolice.com

Exclusive: Qualcomm is planning an Android-powered Nintendo Switch knockoff

Qualcomm plans its first foray into the consumer electronics market in years — with a device that bears a strong resemblance to Nintendo's wildly
Qualcomm plans its first foray into the consumer electronics market in years — with a device that bears a strong resemblance to Nintendo's wildly popular Switch game console. According to a source familiar with the company's strategy, the Android-powered game console will attempt to showcase the company's Snapdragon chipsets in a less traditional form factor.

The device, which we were able to view non-final images of but cannot share, is immediately familiar to anyone who owns a Switch. Detachable "joycon" style controllers are on the left and right sides of the core console, which resembles a thicker, bulkier smartphone. There's a good reason for that: the company believes that the added thermal headroom a thicker design affords will make its processor run faster and significantly more efficiently than a modern ultra-thin smartphone. Qualcomm is also using that space to pack in a large 6000mAh battery that will be equipped with its Quick Charge technology. According to our source, Qualcomm is using a premium supplier in the controller space to design and manufacture the gamepads, though we were unable to verify the name of that supplier. The exact dimensions of the console and its display also weren't made available to us (though friend of AP and XDA EIC Mishaal Rahman has reason to think the screen is 6.65" across).

Like the Switch, Qualcomm's portable will support display-out capabilities to play on an external TV or monitor, though if it was unclear if that meant a dedicated port like mini HDMI or if the USB-C charging port would serve double duty. An SD card slot will also be featured for expandable storage. The console will run Android 12 with a customized launcher and feature full support for Google's suite of Play apps and services. In a promising sign for fans of Fortnite giant Epic, Qualcomm currently hopes to support the Epic Games Store app on its portable at launch — meaning the long-awaited Android app may finally be nearing release. Qualcomm also has plans to build its own content portal. It was unclear if Qualcomm was interested in partnering with cloud streaming providers like Google's Stadia or NVIDIA's GeForce Now, though the company's pride in the graphics capabilities of its own silicon would obviously make local play more of a showcase feature.

Qualcomm's current target is to launch the device in Q1 of 2022 — meaning it will likely feature the next generation of Snapdragon silicon. We don't know if the company will use a bespoke, customized chip design, or if Qualcomm plans to use it to demonstrate the flexibility of its off-the-shelf solution. The typical suite of sensors like Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometers, and dual-zone haptics are included. Of course, it wouldn't be Qualcomm without 5G: the portable will feature connectivity for fifth-generation wireless networks (curiously, with Qualcomm's older X55 modem), but it's unclear if models with Wi-Fi only might be offered. The company's targeted price point is $300, but we're not currently sure if that price includes the detachable gamepads or the aforementioned 5G. We do not believe any version of the console will function as a standalone mobile handset (i.e., have telephony features).

As for distribution, Qualcomm plans to offer direct sales to consumers, but also wants to use its US carrier connections to get on store shelves. That could mean specifically carrier-branded variants, though given the likely small volumes of product involved, I wouldn't bet on any significant differences between them. Speaking of volume, according to our source, Qualcomm doesn't have any delusions of unseating Nintendo: the company's expectations aren't of overnight commercial success. Rather, Qualcomm hopes it will inspire its partners to explore new form factors as the line between "mobile" and "console" gaming increasingly blurs.

Like any product with a year or so between itself and retail existence, it's possible Qualcomm could scuttle the launch of its unannounced console for concerns about commercial viability or any other number of reasons.

Qualcomm was contacted prior to the publication of this story. A Qualcomm spokesperson cited the company's standard policy of not commenting on rumors or speculation.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
If I'm them I'd just start doing some hardcore internal iteration on a dedicated Game Pass streaming device. Go with the Switch form factor, but design it so it does little more than internet/Youtube/Game Pass.

I think that will be a lot more promising than relying on Android mobile gaming.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Basically an emulation/game streaming machine. If priced well, I could would actually really want one.

I rooted my switch to run android solely for this purpose, and even though it runs fairly well (if you have a fast microSD card) it's sometimes a pain in the butt to boot into the switchroot partition if you were just playing on the switch.

I imagine something properly optimized will run even better, even with weaker specs (as switchroot can't make use of all the power of a switch)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It'd be weird for Qualcomm to make a consumer device because they'd be competing with their own customers. If I were Asus and I bought a bunch of Qualcomm chips for my ROG phones, I'd be pretty pissed if Qualcomm then started marketing their own gaming hardware.

Seems like a weird thing to do, potentially alienating your partners to introduce something that probably won't be all that successful.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I only use my phone with a kishi to do streaming and emulation pretty much. Most android games aren't made to be played with a controller and if they do support it, who knows if the game is any good.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
It'd be weird for Qualcomm to make a consumer device because they'd be competing with their own customers. If I were Asus and I bought a bunch of Qualcomm chips for my ROG phones, I'd be pretty pissed if Qualcomm then started marketing their own gaming hardware.

Seems like a weird thing to do, potentially alienating your partners to introduce something that probably won't be all that successful.
It happens all the time

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017

It's not like Microsoft Surface or Google Pixel are a thing... Hell I could even say Samsung supplying chips to everyone and their own appliances.
Concerning this Qualcomm console, let's see how it goes because we know the problem of these endeavours is not releasing the hardware, it's the software support, the ecosystem for developing for it (non existant for all the previous attempts and Qualcomm is not that well known for great documentation) and the software maintenance from the manufacturer through time (I only know Nvidia with its Shields having a pretty good track).

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Playing Monster Train on xcloud; this device has my attention. 300 is a bit too steep though...

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Last October DigiTimes reported that Qualcomm is developing their own gaming phones with Asus. Qualcomm however denied the rumor, stating that those were merely "reference design platforms". So either DigiTimes was mistaken, or Qualcomm was covering its tracks. The latest report could likewise go either way.

As a real product, I think that its main use case will be for service games such as Fortnite or Genshin Impact—very few developers would be benefited from it. Another potential use case is for a cloud gaming platform such as GeForce Now or Luna to make it an official device; again, very few developers would be directly benefited from it.

Either way, without robust developer support the device is unlikely to ever build a sustainable ecosystem to elevate it above a commodity (thus the possibility that it is indeed a reference design). Nintendo has nothing to worry about just yet. Now, if Apple or Microsoft is to make a gaming handheld, it'd be a very different story.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly.. with all the "emulation" handhelds going around.. assuming they can get one of their "top of the line" processors into this thing, it'll likely be one killer of an emulation machine.. especially at the targeted $300 price.

Obviously, it's not going to cut into NSW's sales one bit, but it COULD do very well for other niches.
Not just emulation, but stick 5 GHz WiFi in there (maybe even a 5G modem?) and you have a decent game streaming handheld as well

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Not just emulation, but stick 5 GHz WiFi in there (maybe even a 5G modem?) and you have a decent game streaming handheld as well
Exactly...just using Stadia as an example...if this comes to pass you could be laying in bed playing games like Resident Evil VIII, Outriders, and Ark all without having to pull out another controller nor downloading anything. Sure you can do that right now with a phone and an attachment device like a Razer Kishi but having an all in one device backed by the likes of Qualcomm would be awesome.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Some of you get defensive over anything. Doubt I'll buy it, but I'm interested to see what they come up with. Genshin would be a blast on it, I bet. :P

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
There are a couple of devices that tried to ride the train the Switch is on with something like a windows powered device in the shape of the Switch.

So far nobody has gotten near the attention of the Switch. Takes more than just copying the shape of the device to get noticed. Needs things like good marketing as well as exclusive content

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Only way this is worthwhile is if there is a FLAGSHIP Snapdragon in there, no dicking around with like 600/700 series chips...865 minimum.

Flagship chip
Stock Android (11 minimum)
Game Pass/xCloud
Emulation up to Citra
Moonlight/Parsec/Steam Link

BirdmanHandwringing.gif

No way I get this for $300 or less lol.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly.. with all the "emulation" handhelds going around.. assuming they can get one of their "top of the line" processors into this thing, it'll likely be one killer of an emulation machine.. especially at the targeted $300 price.

Obviously, it's not going to cut into NSW's sales one bit, but it COULD do very well for other niches.
What if it could emulate Switch?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
PS2/Gamecube emulator portable will be a day one purchase for me.

My Poco f2 pro have snapdragon 865. This better be similar or better lol.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Well these crappy handhelds do not cost $300, if they did, they would be on par or better than Qualcomm's offering. I just don't see what's target demographic and usage scenario for this device. Emulators? Sure, but that sector is too niche, doesn't bring in revue from new software sales and isn't mainstream enough outside of circles like ERA. Streaming? Perhaps, but you can also do it on a phone that you already have at no extra cost. Fortnite? I suppose... but you gotta be really hardcore about Fortnite on mobile to buy this device instead of playing on your phone like majority of Fortnite mobile players. I just think this will go the way of Steam machines.

I actually think this is the way the Steam machine idea should have went. It might be hard to convince pc gamers to buy a new gaming box when they already have a PC tower, but a handheld pc would be something a lot of them don't already have. It could work out pretty well if the price was right and used a Linux OS for Proton.

When it comes to Android handhelds though, I'd like someone to try out the idea of a gamepad phone case. Lots of us are already carrying around nice phone displays in our pockets, so it'd be cool to have a small form factor controller that could get carried around with it, without having to invest in a whole new device with its own screen.