• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Heike Monogatari 9 - 11 END
I have a lump in my throat writing this one. What a finale. Such an absolute tragedy filtered through a sieve of hope, and a paean to the art of storytelling itself. I think it's a series that begs 2-3 watches if you're not familiar with Japanese history, but also to track the stories of the many characters. It's a show about dukkha - suffering - and what it means to both observe it and live through it. Outstanding show.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Realist Hero has the issue where the MC is just moderately intelligent and everyone else is stupid (people in the real world medieval era already figured out all the things he's implementing in the fantasy world). But it is still entertaining enough. Better than when the hero is OP for no real reason lol. I'll definitely be watching the second part. Might pick up Genius Prince in this upcoming season which I heard is more comedic. I'll wait to hear opinions on the adaptation.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Tamako Market end
In retrospect it is a bit of a jib how much they hold back for the movie. I do remember really liking the movie though.
There are parts of kyoani magic still and i appreciated it more this time around its just frustrating seeing how good it can be at times. I still probably prefer it overall to more recent kyoani stuff like dragonmaid or violet everg.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Realist Hero has the issue where the MC is just moderately intelligent and everyone else is stupid (people in the real world medieval era already figured out all the things he's implementing in the fantasy world). But it is still entertaining enough. Better than when the hero is OP for no real reason lol. I'll definitely be watching the second part. Might pick up Genius Prince in this upcoming season which I heard is more comedic. I'll wait to hear opinions on the adaptation.
I can kinda buy it as things developed as the need came and a world with magic is going to have a warped perspective considering how things can be shaped by tradition and taboos. I'm looking forward cour 2. Also yeah Genius prince has me curious too

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Realist Hero has the issue where the MC is just moderately intelligent and everyone else is stupid (people in the real world medieval era already figured out all the things he's implementing in the fantasy world). But it is still entertaining enough. Better than when the hero is OP for no real reason lol.

i dont necessarily mind it for these power-fantasy 'go back in time and teach the ignorant natives all this shit i learned in high school' novels, because it's sort of the central power fantasy of these anyway. the issue wasn't just in realising it but also having it implemented after all.

still not as good as maou yuusha but probably has a much better anime, if i had to guess. hmmm... wonder if its on crunchy or hwat

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
FH5mKsYVkAQbKUu

My gift for myself arrived earlier than expected. I haven't really posted impressions regularly since the Old Place but maybe I'll try doing that next year.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms

This movie was recommended to me by someone in this thread back when I mentioned that no anime had made me cry yet.

Wow. What a beautiful movie. From the bittersweet and tragic story to the production, everything was just on point. This tragic movie explores something that has been the subject of many different stories before but from a different angle than usual (at least based on the other stories featuring immortals that I have seen). And it's just so well executed by the director. While there are a few plot conveniences here and there, they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things because the movie is primarily about the bond between Maquia and Ariel and thus not a plot-driven story. And that bond is beautifully illustrated throughout the movie. The direction, the backgrounds, and the music are also top-notch. This movie is both a fun ride and a devasting one at the same time

This movie pulls on your heartstrings more than once and I can see why it made a lot of people cry. I definitely recommend it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
One would think short skirts and socks just to have some thighs on literally any female character regardless of genre would get boring for creators at some point, but I'm still incredibly surprised at any show where girls get to wear just normal pants still. I'm having trouble even thinking of one exept A Place Further Than The Universe and Yuru Camp, and even with those I'm not 100% sure.

Edit that Lucky Star desk lol

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
is there no ousama ranking tomorrow?
official tweet says 2nd cour starts january 6th
new OP by vaundy, new ED by milet
OP2 sounds like a banger from the PV

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Obviously the best way to end the year in the best of spirits is to watch Ideon Be Invoked

Always gotta watch something upbeat for the end of the year.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I guess I have been neglectful in mentioning that Anime of the Year will be going up sometime this weekend.

Please Anime fans, begin the process of reviewing your fondest shows of the year! It will run until March 5 at midnight. Should be plenty of time to take a look at any shows of interest.

We will have the same three rankings as last year. For those interested there will be a categories section that is entirely OPTIONAL.

Apr 24, 2018
Ugh. Not a fan of when this kind of licensing chopping up happens at all. Someone having to sign up for three different streaming services just to watch all of one show is baffling.
I fortunately was already able to see the first two seasons, but I believe the MS Store only carries Funi licensed titles. MS Store only sells S1 (mislabeled as the complete series, rofl) of the show and not S2 (I was looking to buy S2 there recently).

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have been neglectful in mentioning that Anime of the Year will be going up sometime this weekend.

Please Anime fans, begin the process of reviewing your fondest shows of the year! It will run until March 5 at midnight. Should be plenty of time to take a look at any shows of interest.

We will have the same three rankings as last year. For those interested there will be a categories section that is entirely OPTIONAL.
March 5th? Awesome, plenty of time to get through spring, summer, and fall 2021 anime.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India

That's way more time than I thought I would have. Cheers, it'll give me time to catch up on stuff like Komi, though I think I've got down most everything else I was interested in for the year.

Apr 24, 2018

I grabbed it, they have a ton of mecha stuff I wanna watch. Also Garo. And Lupin part 6!
Also despite the weirdness on the page it does seem to work(though I also got 2 hopefully test charges at full price)
Seems like this service has more niche offerings than Funi and CR. I'll probably sign up for this to watch Teasing Mr. Takagi-San S3 alone (can't remember the Japanese title). Do episodes on this service typically release weekly, or only after a coeur has finished? Either way, I'll get my money's worth just being able to watch the one show, as basically $2 a month is not a lot.

Edit: Exploring the Hidive site, it seems that a lot of shows have a banner in the top right saying dubbed, but clicking into the box shows English and Japanese audio for a few shows that I checked, so I assume that this is just to indicate that an English dub is available in addition to the Japanese dub (e.g. not English dub exclusively). I just wanted to verify that Japanese audio is (typically) offered for everything, as I have zero interest in English dubs.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this service has more niche offerings than Funi and CR. I'll probably sign up for this to watch Teasing Mr. Takagi-San S3 alone (can't remember the Japanese title). Do episodes on this service typically release weekly, or only after a coeur has finished? Either way, I'll get my money's worth just being able to watch the one show, as basically $2 a month is not a lot.

Edit: Exploring the Hidive site, it seems that a lot of shows have a banner in the top right saying dubbed, but clicking into the box shows English and Japanese audio for a few shows that I checked, so I assume that this is just to indicate that an English dub is available in addition to the Japanese dub (e.g. not English dub exclusively). I just wanted to verify that Japanese audio is (typically) offered for everything, as I have zero interest in English dubs.
So, hidive should have the japanese subs to almost everything. They basically license whatever crunchy/funi doesn't get plus a few other things here and there.

I will also note the sale on hidive was only through the 29th though.

Hidive basically = sentai anime.

Apr 24, 2018
So, hidive should have the japanese subs to almost everything. They basically license whatever crunchy/funi doesn't get plus a few other things here and there.

I will also note the sale on hidive was only through the 29th though.

Hidive basically = sentai anime.
Thanks! Their website is actually showing the sale running through the 31st now at 11:59 PM Pacific time! Yeah, I just found their filter for Japanese audio and realized this as well.

Edit: Can confirm that the sale price is still active - I was just billed only $23.99 from PayPal, and not the full $47.99

Apr 24, 2018
Ok SolidSnakeBoy
How will I break this list down for AoTY?

2021 AoTY:
  • Horimiya
  • Jobless Reincarnation
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2
  • The Quintessential Quintuplets 2
  • Beastars 2nd Season
  • My Hero Academia Season 5th​ Season
  • Tokyo Revengers
  • Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro
  • How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom
  • Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song
  • Fruits Basket: The Final
  • How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω
  • Combatants Will Be Dispatched!
  • I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
  • Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season
  • Edens Zero
  • The Duke of Death and His Maid
  • Komi Can't Communicate
  • My Senpai is Annoying
  • Taishou Maiden Fairytale

There I posted, now the debate begins on what deserves a top 10 shot.

I mean, Fruits Basket is #1 and there is no debate there, but #2-10 needs work.
Your slice of life (and overall) tastes seem to align closely with mine. I wanted to see My Senpai is Annoying but didn't want to spend $25 on a blind buy. I'll still try to wait for a sale, but I feel good about my chances of liking it. Thanks for posting!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This still has to be the wildest live action anime project for me because of how loyal it is

(That and it being so huge in the Philippines that their TV network bankrolled Toei to do it). Hope it somehow gets brought over

Same model as the other guys: simulcast, so Subs week of, dubs weekly when they start(usually a month or so later, plus less shows covered). For example, they're getting the Lupin part 1 dub weekly updated right now leading up to the Blu-ray release.
Got quite a few things I'm looking forward to watching as well, out of my mech backlog on there not sure if I'm going Godannar or Majestic Prince first

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Is anything actually going on with the merger (Funimation/ Crunchyroll as Sony owns both now) yet or are those changes coming over next year as wondering if I should keep subbing to Funimation or not.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Is anything actually going on with the merger (Funimation/ Crunchyroll as Sony owns both now) yet or are those changes coming over next year as wondering if I should keep subbing to Funimation or not.

Mergers/acquisitions can take a while, when it comes to blending things together. It's anyone's guess if/when they will combine subs, or how they will even do it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Irina The Vampire Cosmonaut 2
The space training parts were good. The sexual assault as a joke by the assistant girl was not.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Komi and her fucked up friends episode 11

And Komi's brother is introducted. I just realized that Onemine doesn't have any quirks, like Tadano. The whole Komi god worship is getting old. I get it, everybody loves her blah blah blah.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
end of the year movie watch

Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi this was a very cute and short movie worth it despite it's clechés

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017

....huh....well that's unexpected, of all revivals that i could think of, this wouldn't even register to me
Also David pro and 4 cours, JoJo production is suffering for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.