• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got done watching Squid Game so time to start this season:

86 - 12

This cour is off to a good start so far. First one was a bit meh at the start but found it's footings as it went. This meanwhile is continuing on from where the last one ended.

Lena being a no nonsense I don't care about your feelings character is where I wanted her to be the first cour so it will be interesting to see how she is able to work through this racist system. So far it seems nobody of her 86 squad is dead which is a good sign she is doing a good job protecting them from the legion and the trashy country she lives in.

The 86 is the most interesting part so far. This new country they found themselves in sound like a good place but I am not convinced yet. I can't help but feel there is some shady shit going around in the backgrounds. It sounds too good to be true. Maybe I am overthinking it because the glasses guy seems to have gone through his own shit and might be nice because of that but who knows?

So yeah, this cour is off to a much better start and I am excited to see where it goes from here.

Mieruko Chan 1

Not like this...

This adaptation is frustrating.

I like the anime only additions like actually having a build up until "she can see it". The sound effects and artwork is pretty good and very accurate to the manga. The direction of how the spirits show up is great and while not as good as the manga, they are pretty effective. I also love the foreshadowing they added that reference later chapters in the manga. The animation is great and the anime has all it needs to be one of the best animes in the year.

This sounds good so what am I complaining about you might ask?

They decided to take the worst part of the early chapters in the manga and expand them. Those that have read the manga will know that the first 7 or so chapters of the manga used to be sexualized. It wasn't focused on it mind you but it was there and a lot of that has to be due to the manga starting on pixiv. The manga kept toning it down the more chapters came out and now it is pretty much non existent. I had fears that the anime would adapt this but it was even worse than I expected. You would think that they would start from where the manga tone is now (which is very toned down) and continue from there. The source material is great and the stories are awesome. Why they thought this wasn't enough for the anime to be good is puzzling and very awful.

Such a shame. I am so disappointed. It was so close to being good but they couldn't help themselves...

Edit:

Just looked up some of the staff that worked on this. Director worked Muru Tights and Interspecies Reviewers...

That explains a lot. God I hate this.

Last edited:

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Mieruko Chan 1

The fan service in this episode sucked. I pretty much liked everything else and of course, being Miko is suffering

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Mierko-chan episode 1

God lord, those spirit are scary AS FUCK. If I had to see those things everyday, I lose my fucking mind very, very quickly. Is this supposed to be a comedy?
My gripes with fanservice aside, this was also a question I had. I hadn't seen much promo material for this show, but it looked like a horror comedy, and I thought the constant horror direction in the first half of the episode was in itself a joke because it wasn't going anywhere. (I'd assumed the 'joke' is that there is a ghost in the school and the comedy will be centred on her or something). The actual reveal is terrifying to the point you could make it straight horror story.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS 1-2

Meh.
hopefully this gets more interesting, but resounding meh from me.
Also those must have been the harshest 10 years in existence to those two older guys... to go from hunky soldiers in their prime to 80 year guys in 10 years.

I'll still watch a bit more of this since it has a dub, but so far nothing about it is really gripping me, the first episode was just annoying, and they should've just knocked out the guy as he was going to go get fena, got her instead, and walked off with her no one the wiser and done the entire first episode in 10 minutes or so as nothing about the escape was interesting or well done at all lol.

As for the second episode... I really don't remember much about it... a lot of talking and setting up crap that I don't give a crap about. Maybe I will revisit it after something happens in the series (I do better with this stuff after I know the characters more, as it's why I still haven't gotten through fate/zero because that first episode is just a giant info dump of boring ass boring). Fena cut her hair, I'm not a fan, the guy she likes is about as interesting as paint drying... and the episode is over.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Random question - any notable sequels or slice of life shows come out in the last 5+ years that I should look for? Thinking of just finding a show to watch after all this time. lol

(The last one I watched randomly was the Antarctica one)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Random question - any notable sequels or slice of life shows come out in the last 5+ years that I should look for? Thinking of just finding a show to watch after all this time. lol

march comes in like a lion technically is a slice of life, and technically came out in the last 5 years :P

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

just watch more yuru camp

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

because you skipped out on the Amanchu sequel, junichi sato is just directing long kids cartoons now. betrayal has its price

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
march comes in like a lion technically is a slice of life, and technically came out in the last 5 years :P
I was still around when it came out and I just never watched it. lol
just watch more yuru camp
Yeah that's probably the safe bet...
because you skipped out on the Amanchu sequel, junichi sato is just directing long kids cartoons now. betrayal has its price
And the second season of that. lol
Is SatoJun back to PreCure now? :p

---

Also nothing exciting/stupid like a final season of Haganai or SNAFU or more K-On or anything? lol

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

---

Also nothing exciting/stupid like a final season of Haganai or SNAFU or more K-On or anything? lol

He finished his PreCure run and is/was doing a Pretty Magic show. There was a last season of SNAFU last year though!

looking back, Super Cub might be for you too

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My gripes with fanservice aside, this was also a question I had. I hadn't seen much promo material for this show, but it looked like a horror comedy, and I thought the constant horror direction in the first half of the episode was in itself a joke because it wasn't going anywhere. (I'd assumed the 'joke' is that there is a ghost in the school and the comedy will be centred on her or something). The actual reveal is terrifying to the point you could make it straight horror story.
It is more of a horror story most of the time though there is comedy here and there. Which is why the sexualization is out of place. The Manga author figured it out early on but the anime seems to be doubling down on it sadly.

Hopefully they tone it all the way down like the Manga but since they doubled down I doubt it.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

There is the new Aria stuff. New Non non Biyori too.
You may want to check out Tanaka kun is always listless though that is ultimately more of a comedy in the end.

---

Snafu aired it's last season yes.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Aria stuff had that Yamato-style release, so I assume not subbed yet?

And Super Cub reminds me of that SatoJun Honda commercial. lol

But what the hell... how did SNAFU end then?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Best girl ended up as just a friend :P

And I feel like my smart ass answer doesn't need spoilers because you have no context for who best girl is :P

honestly I might be lying slightly with just a friend, as really I'm not sure if anything truly got settled properly lol.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Best girl ended up as just a friend :P

And I feel like my smart ass answer doesn't need spoilers because you have no context for who best girl is :P

honestly I might be lying slightly with just a friend, as really I'm not sure if anything truly got settled properly lol.
Did the books end the same way?

Too bad the cowards didn't go with the Teacher ending. lol

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the Aria stuff had that Yamato-style release, so I assume not subbed yet?

And Super Cub reminds me of that SatoJun Honda commercial. lol

Far as I can discern, CREPUSCOLO has BD's out, Benedizione airs in December, Avvenire stuff is out of 2015 so dunno if your current with it.

DonnyHayabusa

Jan 22, 2019
Can you just start with the new lupin or should you watch the other ones before that? Kinda interested in the new series premise :)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm still so disappointed the dragon was a sea dragon. Like Jesus. You could have given him a Comodo Dragon or something less pitiful.
It was supposed to be an indication that the curse was weakening and very close to breaking.

They had to make it in its cutest form. Kureno was technically only a chick, only evident by the ending title cards.
Sparrow, actually. Again see above.

www.youtube.com

Fruits Basket – Opening Theme (English) – For Fruits Basket

Subscribe to Funimation: https://weareani.me/YTSubscribeStart streaming anime subs and dubs: https://weareani.me/trialSubscribe to Funimation's Channel: http...

:P

TAKE THE ENGLISH VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL OPENING MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jokes on you, I love this song.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Far as I can discern, CREPUSCOLO has BD's out, Benedizione airs in December, Avvenire stuff is out of 2015 so dunno if your current with it.
Ah it looks like the first is subbed at least.

And yep, Avvenire actually got included as part of the Rightstuf Kickstarter, so there's actually an official R1/English release. I wonder if Rightstuf will do another Kickstarter or if they're even considering these movies/OVAs.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It was supposed to be an indication that the curse was weakening and very close to breaking.

Sparrow, actually. Again see above.

Jokes on you, I love this song.

Was that a manga-only thing that was mentioned? I figured the cuteness was just part of the gag.

I also like the dub opening of the original theme. I enjoy hearing english versions of animeop/end, like Italy did a few for Inuyasha which I really like, and Slayers did some re-mixes, and TWO-MIX did some great eng mixes too! I mostly remember Furubu because I leant my original DVDs (still have that Funi boxset) to my friends, and their little bro really liked it and watched it thru dubbed.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Was that a manga-only thing that was mentioned? I figured the cuteness was just part of the gag.

I also like the dub opening of the original theme. I enjoy hearing english versions of animeop/end, like Italy did a few for Inuyasha which I really like, and Slayers did some re-mixes, and TWO-MIX did some great eng mixes too! I mostly remember Furubu because I leant my original DVDs (still have that Funi boxset) to my friends, and their little bro really liked it and watched it thru dubbed.
I don't mind alternate openings some of them end up being awesome even though they are different
www.youtube.com

One Piece Opening 1~Die Legende~(Deutsch-German)

Anime Folge: das sind die openige von One Piece One Piece - Die Legende (1. Opening) Reichtum, Macht und Ruhm. Der Mann der sich dies alles erkämpft hat war...

it even got a full version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Bz7vCctFM

and some of them sound alright but aged like sour milk
www.youtube.com

One Piece Opening 1 - FUNimation dub - We Are! HD

I don't own this. In fact, when it comes to owning, this, you could say I'm the opposite. Owning this is something I do not.

>.>

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

I think it was one of the things they cut out in season 3, or at least only mentioned so briefly that it didn't register for a lot of people. Back when Shigure has that big reveal speech with Tohru.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was one of the things they cut out in season 3, or at least only mentioned so briefly that it didn't register for a lot of people. Back when Shigure has that big reveal speech with Tohru.

It would def explain why all of the animals are small and cute through the curse, while the banquet flashback showed them all in their (actual) adult forms. The dragon there was a legit dragon.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
LINK CLICK 8
OH NOOOOO. This is exactly what I was worried was gonna happen when Cheng Xiaoshi ran for the guy whilst drunk.

It would def explain why all of the animals are small and cute through the curse, while the banquet flashback showed them all in their (actual) adult forms. The dragon there was a legit dragon.
Yep, some points just never got properly touched on I'm the anime. Doesn't detract from the experience, though.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain

The manga navigates both genres, the ghosts are super fucking scary, and honestly with each chapter they get even more fucked up. But her reactions and seeing everyone else oblivious makes you laugh. And in the last chapters we've finally got some semblance of a plot that is interesting...while poor Mieruko keeps suffering.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
LINK CLICK 9-11 END
panda-angry.gif

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Can you just start with the new lupin or should you watch the other ones before that? Kinda interested in the new series premise :)
You can start any Lupin first, it doesn't matter as there is no real continuity, other than some nods and references here and there, but the series is designed so you can pretty much start anywhere, so yeah just watch the new one , no problem

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About Lupin, not sure about the new season but season 5 is better watched after 4 as they feel like they are the same series compared to the others.
The manga navigates both genres, the ghosts are super fucking scary, and honestly with each chapter they get even more fucked up. But her reactions and seeing everyone else oblivious makes you laugh. And in the last chapters we've finally got some semblance of a plot that is interesting...while poor Mieruko keeps suffering.
I love how no matter what, you just can't get used to the monsters. The latest arc in particular had one of the ugliest monsters I have ever seen in Manga.

Haha

We needed season 2 yesterday...

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the morality of her actions is something this show is not interested in exploring. However, that's not really surprising given the usual trappings of anime.
Here's what really bothers me though: this show has so many parallels and references to the atrocities committed during WWII that I can't bring myself to dismiss it as usual anime nonsense. I dunno, I just feel that if you base your story on real life genocide you need to treat the topic with the proper amount of respect. 86 clearly doesn't.

I think there is a gray area here, given the situation. Yes she could refuse, but that leads to these kids dying faster and in greater numbers. Ofcourse she's not Oskar Schindler, she's still got blood on her hands, but I think it's unfair to frame her on equal terms as her military peers.
I mean, she's definitely better than the other handlers. It's hard for her not to be when other handlers are portrayed as most over-the-top villains imaginable. Despite that, she's still responsible for the same war crimes the other handlers are. The main thing that sets her apart is that she's killing the 86 at a slightly slower pace. The saddest part is that her leaving wouldn't actually lead to kids dying in greater numbers. So far, every single kid Lena commanded has died on the battlefield. Well, some of the spearhead squadron do survive, but that's just because they get rescued by another country. Lena doesn't get credit for that. She's doing the same thing as the other handlers, just slightly slower, yet they are presented as being clearly evil and she's presented as a hero.

To put it another way, even if all the handlers acted the way Lena does they'd still be evil and directly responsible for genocide. Giving the kids artillery support doesn't suddenly make it okay to send them into combat where the odds are astronomically stacked against them.

The only defense I can make for Lena is that she's the least evil of the handlers we've seen, which means that if she refused to carry out her orders she'd likely be replaced by someone even more evil. So basically the "if I hadn't done it, someone else would" defense, which is a terrible way to excuse genocide. It's also the defense actual Nazis used to defend their actions, so yeah, I definitely don't want to be using that to defend Lena.

In the end, I'd probably be fine if the show actually framed Lena as someone who's forced to commit horrible actions because there's no better alternative, but the show doesn't even try to do that. Instead we're constantly told how Lena's not a bad person, how nothing that's happening is her fault, and how she's a total badass.

Considering that the genocide here is via a very real war, the 86 would still need to fight to survive. Lena is leading then in the same way as a general would in an invasion, as soldiers, and fellow humans. There are ethics at play at the macro level that are glossed over and oversimplified, and I do concede her character is wafer thin and we just need to buy she was indoctrinated. But I think it is uncharitable to say she is commiting "genocide" given the very real death or life situation these kids are in. Not excusing anything, just don't believe the situation presented is that dire or black and white. I do rightfully criticize the show for being so cavalier about taking this imagery without earning it.
I don't know, the way the show presents it it's not a real war, it's just a thinly veiled excuse to commit genocide. At this point, the republic no longer even seems to consider the legion a threat and their walls, minefields and artillery give them much more protection than a bunch of kids piloting scrapped-together mechs. The show makes it pretty clear that most battles the 86 fight aren't actually important for survival against the Legion. There's probably a few battles where the Legion is actually targeting the 86 camps, but the ones we've seen have all been fought away from the camps and only seem to exist as an excuse to exterminate the 86. The show straight-up tells us that the main objective of the military isn't to survive for two more years, it's to wipe out every last 86 before the war ends. I can't really look at Lena as a general when her orders exist mainly to get the people she's commanding killed.

That's why Lena's committing genocide: the only reason (most of) the kids go into combat is because Lena orders them to go and they are forced to follow her orders. Lena isn't helping kids that are fighting for their lives, she's the reason they have to fight for their lives in the first place. The worst example of that is the suicide mission in season 1. Even if you think Lena's justified in her other actions, that one was just indefensible. Lena just straight up sent all of them to die.

Fwiw she does boast the lowest casualty rate of any handler during her stint as the "Blood Stained Queen"
Defending her actions with a lower casualty rate just doesn't sit right with me. It makes her better than the other handlers, but doesn't address that her actions are fundamentally wrong. Even if she does eventually end up saving a few kids, she's still responsible for so many deaths.

metalmonstar

May 17, 2018
1. Sonny Boy
2. Aquatope
3. Magia Record
4. Kageki Shoujo
5. Girlfriend, Girlfriend
6. Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy
7. Dragon Maid
8. Idaten
9. Uramichii Oniisan
10. Love Live
11. Fena
12. Tokyo Revengers
13. To You Eternity
14. Vanitas
15. Artiswitch
16. Villainess
17. Slime S2 P2
18. DragonQuest Dai
19. Death Battle in 5 seconds
20. Remake Our Life
21. Night Head 2041
22. Jahy
23. Standing on a Million Lives
24. Black Company
25. Peach Boy Riverside
26. Megami
27. Realist Hero
28. D_cide
29. Scarlet Nexus

Sonny Boy –
After the first episode I pegged this as the likely Anime of the season. I did try to temper my expectations a bit since I was worried this may be another Wonder Egg. Luckily it wasn't. Sonny Boy at its core is a simple character growth story. However, it is covered with tons of symbolism and surrealism. The characters were great, the story was good, the themes were good, the directing was amazing, and the music was fantastic. Some people found the ending to be a bit disappointing, but I think it gets the job done. Sonny Boy is a great watch just don't expect to understand everything.

Aquatope – Looks like the first half is finally finished. It was an emotional ride with a great cast of characters. I can understand this not being to everyone's taste. It is a slow burn and heavy on the drama, but in my opinion, it was one of the best shows of the season. It also helped that it looked absolutely gorgeous at times.

Magia Record S2 – The first 4 episodes are incredibly good. Story had better direction, characters actually getting moments, payoffs for a number of arcs, and some great animation as well. Sadly, this could not be kept up because Shaft has to Shaft. Episode 5 is largely fine. Episode 6 is an unwatchable mess that even if fixed in the bluray would be a bad directionless episode. Episode 7 and 8 are improvements but the obvious shortcuts taken to get the episode out on time certainly hold back the improved storytelling. It is an improvement over the first season with some high highs but also some low lows. I would still say this is the upper echelon of shows this season, the first half in my opinion was just that good. I think a lot of my disappointment with the second half is largely from expectations from how good the first half was. Well that and concern over the direction for the final season. Once again, I am excited and nervous for the next season.

Kageki Shoujo – This is one of the best shows of the season. A good cast of characters. It handled it is more serious episodes really well. It wasn't the most exciting at times but the storytelling was really good. My main complaint would be that I didn't care for the last episode. It just kind of felt like it dragged on a bit and wasn't that satisfying of a stopping point.

Girlfriend, Girlfriend – Probably the funniest show of the season. I really enjoyed Aho Girl so hearing another stupid comedy by the same author was getting an anime adaptation, I knew I had to check it out. Just make sure you turn your brain off before the episodes start. The characters are all ridiculously dumb as well are the scenarios they find themselves. Everyone has their own best girl but my favorite was Saki Saki. Ayaneru really nailed the role. The show was just pure stupid fun from start to finish.

Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy – One of the biggest surprises of the season. When I see a bunch of new Isekai coming out, I always keep expectations low. However, Tsukimichi turned out to be pretty good. It is basically Slime and Konosuba combined (Though I believe it predates them). It doesn't break the mold but it uses the standard Isekai tropes in a fun way. It was funny with a great cast that had a lot of chemistry. The best Isekai of this season easily.

Dragon Maid S – I didn't really care for the early episodes but I feel it did get better. Just what you would expect from Dragon Maid, wholesome and funny. There were some good character moments this season as well, especially if you are an Elma fan. Also, with it being Kyoto Animation, it looked better than it had any right to. It was pretty good.

Idaten – Well that was a go read the manga ending if I ever saw one. Oh, wait the manga isn't even this far. How about the web comic? Nevermind on Hiatus. I don't say this too often but it is probably best to wait and see if the manga catches up before diving in. So, besides the ending, Idaten does have some shall I say questionable content. If you can stomach that then it is a pretty high paced action-packed story with fun characters and interesting twist and turns. Idaten has probably the best first 3 episodes of the season. I did kind of feel that the second half was a bit weaker, but it was still fairly consistent. Overall a pretty solid show that probably isn't for everyone.

Uramichi Oniisan – A dark comedy about a depressed children's show host. I honestly was curious if they would be able to keep things fresh. Surprisingly they did. The show was funny with a decent cast of characters. That being said not every episode was a winner. If you want to laugh at relatable situations then slowly start to reflect and regret your own life decisions this is the show for you.

Love Live! Superstar! – *Due to the Olympics and probably other delays Love Live is not finished. * I really do like the cast of characters and songs in this Love Live. Sadly, the formulaicness just kind of bothers me. I get it, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is it wrong to want something different though? Overall a really good show, and the cast is probably one of my favorites as far as Idol anime goes.

Fena Pirate Princess – *Important Note Fena isn't finished yet. I am judging by what has happened so far and trying to keep future expectations out of the equation. *Visually this show is incredibly impressive. The music is also good. I find the story to be decent as well. Characters aren't bad either. I do find the main cast of Fena, Yukimaru, and Shitan to be a bit bland in comparison to pretty much everyone else. Besides the characters, my other main complaint so far is that not much happens. Sure, they are moving from point A to B to C to etc, but it doesn't feel earned and there isn't much that happens between or during each point. Also, with it being a pirate ninja (they are more of samurai) show, there are some certain expectations. Sadly, I feel only episode 2 and maybe 7 have met those expectations. Fena is certainly a good show but it hasn't wowed me.

Tokyo Revengers – Much like To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers gets caught up in repeating the same story beats. There were some frustrating aspects to the arc that aired over this season. However, in the end I have Tokyo Revengers higher than To Your Eternity because despite the frustrating aspects it was still a fun watch.

To Your Eternity – Had an incredibly impressive first episode back during the spring season. The first main arc was okay but the second was a good bit better. However, the third arc, the one that was featured over the summer season, was not as good. Repeating the same story beats started to catch up with the show. It also didn't help that the cast of this arc wasn't near as good. Towards the end production falls apart as well. Sadly, it was a rough Summer for To Your Eternity. It is still one of the better shows out there, and certainly not quite the fall from grace as something like So What I am Spider.

Vanitas – Even after watching the full season I can't really place what bothered me about this show. The action was good, the story was decent, it had style, and the characters could be fun, however something still bothered me. Certainly, didn't help that I didn't care for the last few episodes and that the whole season felt like a setup to next season.

Artiswitch – An underrated show. I think the CG and short episodes turned people off. However, this is a pretty intriguing show. It is largely episodic in that a character is going through either trauma or just has an ego problem. They wind up at the witch's shop. They do a little song and dance number and the person comes out a bit better than when they started. The last few episodes get a bit strange. I didn't really care for episode 5 or 6. Overall it was interesting.

My Life as a Villainess all routes lead to doom (Hamefura) S2 – S1 seemed to wrap up nicely, so I was a bit concerned about how this season would go. It went pretty much how I expected, more people fall into Bakarina's harem, Bakarina eats sweets, fun anime original episodes, and we largely follow the same story beats as S1. I do find this season to be a bit repetitive. It had some good ideas but doesn't really develop them too much. I think if you keep your expectations low and wanted more bakarina, then this is a fun addition.

Slime S2 P2 – A lot of this season was simply exposition delivered through a bunch of characters sitting and talking. The fights were anticlimactic. Honestly, I kind of just wanted to see Rimuru and pals put in their place. I just found it frustrating to get through.

DragonQuest Dai – It is more DragonQuest Dai. I felt the episodes aired over this season were pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as three or so arcs ago but still pretty good.

Death Battle in 5 seconds – Yeah it is a battle royale anime. If you keep your expectations in check this is a fun ride. Sure, the main character's smarts are largely plot armor. Sure, the budget is lacking making all the fights pretty underwhelming, but there is still fun to be had here. It isn't good but it can be enjoyable.

Remake Our Life – I spent the first half complaining how this was generic garbage. It was so frustrating after a promising episode 1 to see this become a bunch of clichés and tropes Frankensteined together. Luckily the show makes a bit of a pivot in its second half which was a big improvement. Unfortunately, after that it meanders around with some real lazy writing before just kind of ending. It wouldn't be upsetting if this was just bad all the way through, but there are moments were the show truly shines. I spent most of the show frustrated and bored with some moments where I was truly wowed. Sadly, I have to put this towards the bottom.

Night Head 2041 – It started out kind of interesting. By the midway point it starts getting convoluted. In my opinion none of the characters get developed much or become interesting. The fights are nice, but it is hard to get invested in them when you know the outcome will be the characters teleporting out of danger. This happens in a lot in the second half and is pretty frustrating. The finale does wrap things up in a somewhat satisfying way, but it still leaves a bit unanswered. Overall the show looks and sounds pretty good that is hurt by its story and characters.

Jahy will not be defeated – Not much to say about Jahy. I like the idea and the cast, but I just do not find this show funny. The main joke is Jahy gets herself in trouble then makes the situation worse because of her ego. Which sounds like it could be funny but just hasn't been. It doesn't help that the jokes go on for way longer than they need to. The show has charm and I want to stick with as it has been improving. I think maybe my expectation were too high since I really wanted this to be another Devil is a Part Timer.

Standing on A million Lives – Last fall this was probably my biggest surprise. I expected discount Re:Zero, but instead got an unique isekai. Sadly season 1 was held back by slow pacing and awful animation. Season 2 is much better paced but still has the same wonky animation as the first. I also felt like the characters were a bit lacking this season especially when we got to the weird second arc. The second arc started off incredibly bad with some awful writing. It did get a bit better. Overall, I just found this season disappointing.

Dungeon Black Company – This season's Combatants Will Be Dispatched. Scum protagonist gets sent to isekai land and hijinks ensue. Just like Combatants it is also largely unfunny. At least Black Company has Rim to try to carry things. Basically, Black Company has a better story and world but worse characters than Combatants. It may even be a bit funnier. Take that as you will. For me this is towards the bottom of the season for me. It has some charm with the wackiness but I didn't really care for anything in this show.

Peach Boy Riverside – I am going to preface this with I watched it in the airing order. However, even if watched in the correct chronological order this is just an okay dark fantasy. The character growth is glacial and the plot isn't anything special. For the most part, the fights are anticlimactic. The main thing the show has going for it is the brutality. I should mention though that Sally's pants and Frau are doing some serious heavy lifting in this show. Overall it is decent but probably not something I would have stuck around with under normal circumstances. However, the mixed-up watch order is a dumpster fire worth watching burn. Character growth goes out the window since one episode we will see them developed only to go back to an episode where they are developing. The fights are even more anti climatic because we know the results. One character just shows up without any introduction. Another character just gets left hanging for most of the season. What gets me the most, is that this watch order was completely unnecessary. The true first episode is a bit weak but certainly not a bad starting point. The true final episode is fine and could work with just a slight revision. If the director really wanted he could have swapped 2 episodes and been totally fine. The worst part is the directors last episode isn't even all that good. I will give Peach Boy some credit it was fun and certainly not the worst show of this season.

Mom of Goddess Dormitory (Megami) – This was one of the shows I was planning to drop, but I ended up sticking with it since it was only 10 episodes long and my favorite character's episode was at the halfway point. I think I mentioned on reddit that the girls are in college which was nice but the male lead was in middle school not nice. For the most part this is fairly standard for ecchi harem anime. There is plenty of walking in on someone, tripping into lewd positions, and fanservice. The cast isn't too unique but they do feel a bit dialed up. I think some people were hoping this would have a plot and those people were naïve. It is largely one fanservice episode to the next as one would expect. Honestly the only things I found amusing in this show were, the female lead can't stand men due to a past trauma which turned out to be walking in on a roommate having sex. The second amusing aspect was the female lead trying to censure the other girls to protect our 12-year-old protagonist. However, one of the girls, Serene, thinks of this as a challenge and undresses just to participate. Serene was definitely best girl. Her antics were by far the most fun. The main things I want to get across are that Yuki Yomichi needs more roles and sunk cost fallacy can be a bitch.

Realist Hero – I at first had this in my drop list then somehow finished it. The first couple of episodes are kind of interesting. A bit pretentious. I mean it is largely economics 101 and a lot of it relies on the kingdom being wildly incompetent. After the initial start, it starts adding some isekai staples such as superior Japanese cuisine, adopting a child, and a harem. The second half just really drags on and isn't very remarkable. The anime must have skipped things because our intelligent protagonist makes some real dumb decisions. Overall the show is just kind of boring and unremarkable.

D_Cide Traumerei the Animation– A lot of people are wary of CG anime, largely due to how it looks. Luckily for D_Cide the visuals are not where it is lacking. It is the story and characters. I guess I should have known what I was in for when the terms they came up for the heroes is "Knocker Up." They must face off with "Dreamers" and "Evil Ones." The first half of the show is a more episodic character drama. Sad to say the real-world issues they address are not handled well. Also, there is a bit of tonal whiplash. The monster designs are alright. The fights are decent. The second half of the show focuses more on the overarching story. I just felt it didn't really go anywhere. I found the ending to be unsatisfying as well.

Scarlet Nexus – How to watch Scarlet Nexus. Step 1: go to youtube. Step 2: look up Oral Cigarette's Red Criminal Step 3: If you liked what you saw buy the game. This is one of my least favorite shows of the season. The pacing was hectic. The characters don't get much development. The story is all over the place and at times a confusing mess. The Others are ugly and clash. They often feel largely pointless as they are often used as timewasting mooks. They couldn't be bothered to create a background for a lot of the fight scenes. Not that the fights are any good. Supposedly the anime spoils a big part of the game in the first episode. My biggest complaint is there is a big moment in episode 2 that pretty much drives the plot for the rest of the season, but considering we don't really know the characters it just feels so hollow. It doesn't help that moving forward much of the characters decisions make no sense. Eventually you are just kind of forced to accept that this is how things are. In my opinion this makes the Persona 5 Animation look good.
Dropped
Honor Student at Magical High 3 episodes
– I don't like Irregular at Magical High at all, so I am not sure why I even gave this a chance. Maybe I was hoping Tatsuya wouldn't be around as much, but from what I saw he was there quite a bit. Miyuki is also a pretty boring character. I did see they were trying to give the other girls in the harem some time in the spotlight but I don't really care for them either. Honestly the only somewhat decent characters in the series are some of the other "weeds."
Spirit Chronicles 5 episodes – The premise seemed really interesting. It had some cool concepts as well. Sadly, they didn't go anywhere in the episodes I watched. From what I saw this was more of a generic Fantasy than a unique Isekai.
Remain 5 episodes – Episode 1 started off pretty well. Then it just kind of falls apart from there. All the characters are pretty awful. Most of the first few episodes are dedicated to insensitively pressuring people to join the water polo club. The last episode I watched looked like they were possibly going to turn things around. Sadly, I was already way past done with this show.
Cheat Drugstore 3 episodes – Noera was the only thing I found enjoyable about this show. Otherwise it was incredibly boring with really bland story. There is not much else to say because there really isn't much going on with this show that I saw. In my opinion this is the worst comfy Isekai I have seen so far.
Detective is Already Dead 4 episodes – The first episode has a pretty nice action scene but outside of that is pretty bad. Seista isn't solving anything; she is just reading ahead of the script. The next few episodes were kind of boring. The dialogue was just painful at times. I did complete the first little arc before dropping it.

Overall - It certainly was a weaker season especially when compared to Spring and Winter of this year. However, I don't think it was a bad as people had been saying. There were several standout shows. Also the depth was certainly a lot better than some seasons last year. For instance the new shows this season in my opinion were better than last summer. How would you rank the summer shows? What placement makes you salty?

Status
Not open for further replies.