• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Mondays have To Your Eternity, Fruits Basket, and ODDTAXI so it's a full day in terms on content as-is :x Also ones I try to watch asap so I can contribute to conversation without having accidently reading in too much before I watch :p (My eyes do tend to wander...)

I do those on Monday too + Mars Red and (I think) Joran.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I just relegate some shows to watch during a quieter season. To Your Eternity and Tokyo Revengers will be watched later on this year. The slate is just too full, I can't even get to my regular shows (Digimon, Sailor Moon, Gintama).

Dr.Hadji

Apr 21, 2018
I don't know where else to put this, so I thought I'd just leave this off there. Just some very broad observations about the new class of shounen anime.

I've been re-reading/watching some of the oldies lately (Naruto, One Piece, Kenshin), and something really struck me. The time the oldies devote to setting up and wrapping up their arcs makes for a much better delivery of the themes and narrative for the arc. Shounen paints with such a broad and colorful brush for its characters and themes that that time used to breathe really helps me settle into the nuances of the shows.

JJK, MHA, Demon Slayer, etc. move with such swiftness that you're never in want for an interesting episode. But often times when I get to the end of an arc that's 5-8 episodes long, I feel the themes or messages that are there struggle to stand out, and the series keeps rolling right along. I got to the end of season 4 of MHA and thought to myself "man I'm excited for where this is going, we're getting close to something good". But I thought the same thing after S3, and S2. I'm 88 episodes in, and even though the show is much quicker paced, given the same amount of episodes, I feel like I've made more headway in Naruto or YuYu. Pound for pound there are probably just as many or more great moments in MHA as there is in anything else but it feels those moments are dampened as they get swallowed up in the familiar cycle of school, test, bad guy of the week, school, and so on.

Just some random thoughts.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
i dont watch weeklys for this reason lol

I think it's fun. Been years since I simultaneously watched something and then came online to discuss it. There's maybe an OT or 2 I'll join for other shows on here, but that's about it. I don't even comment about every show I watch, since sometimes I just don't have much to say, or there is not much discussion on here (compared to prob its own OT that I'm not in). Well, then there's Digimon Adventure, and I think I'm prob the top poster in THAT OT >_> Mannnn did that topic drop like a ton of bricks (understandably).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i like to watch stuff like 1-2 episodes a day over the course of like two weeks, so a single ep a week doesn't really do it for me. I do miss the discussion sometimes but I find I get a decent appreciation for going back and reading other people's posts later as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where else to put this, so I thought I'd just leave this off there. Just some very broad observations about the new class of shounen anime.

I've been re-reading/watching some of the oldies lately (Naruto, One Piece, Kenshin), and something really struck me. The time the oldies devote to setting up and wrapping up their arcs makes for a much better delivery of the themes and narrative for the arc. Shounen paints with such a broad and colorful brush for its characters and themes that that time used to breathe really helps me settle into the nuances of the shows.

JJK, MHA, Demon Slayer, etc. move with such swiftness that you're never in want for an interesting episode. But often times when I get to the end of an arc that's 5-8 episodes long, I feel the themes or messages that are there struggle to stand out, and the series keeps rolling right along. I got to the end of season 4 of MHA and thought to myself "man I'm excited for where this is going, we're getting close to something good". But I thought the same thing after S3, and S2. I'm 88 episodes in, and even though the show is much quicker paced, given the same amount of episodes, I feel like I've made more headway in Naruto or YuYu. Pound for pound there are probably just as many or more great moments in MHA as there is in anything else but it feels those moments are dampened as they get swallowed up in the familiar cycle of school, test, bad guy of the week, school, and so on.

the newer gen of writers who grew up and were inspired by Naruto, all seem to want to tell faster paced stories which appeals to some people but i often find in a few of those you list that they really need a few more scenes to really round out the themes and stories they want to tell.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As someone who has watched the first four seasons of MHA in the last month. I'm always pleasantly surprised how the super short arcs somehow have better payoffs than the long "we're clearly building the season around this" arcs.

The last two episodes with Endeavor and Hawks is probably my favorite stuff out of the entire show's run and that all happened over TWO episodes!

Same deal with Season 3. All Might vs All for One was hyped to no end and was one of the big reasons I picked up that show. While it definitely lived up to the hype, as a whole arc I think it's topped by the whole Deku vs Bakugo stuff at the end of the season which was like 3-4 episodes?

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Burning Kabaddi 5

1. That OP has grown on me a lot.
2. I ship Kei and Ojo
3. Those red uniforms are so great. They should do that more.

Finally some matches lol, silly rivalry pretty standard. Captain is a fun character.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Spider - 16

Some confirmation of stuff that was already obvious, but also some plot reveals that are actually interesting. Mostly about D's and demon lord's identity.

She obviously wasn't going to be Kumoko going by the OP, but I assumed she'd be like Kumoko in that she reincarnated, started off weak, and then became super OP during the course of 15 years. Her being this powerful this early on goes completely against this idea (Kumoko has been leveling pretty much as fast as possible, and is still way weaker than her), so maybe the demon lord isn't actually a reincarnation. And she's also missing the skill all other reincarnations have that was specifically mentioned this episode. But she knows/cares about Shun based on previous episodes. And Oka does seem to imply the demon lord is from their class.

Although then again the powerlevels so far have been so widely all over the place that making deductions based on them might be completely meaningless.

As for D, if she really is one of the classmates, you'd have to assume she's someone from the list Oka gives this episode (otherwise why bother explicitly stating the names at this specific point in time). Not that I can remember anyone's real names, but there is one in particular that stands out.

Either way, the human stuff is actually interesting when it's used for this sort of foreshadowing, instead of it being a generic poorly written fantasy storyline like it is 90% of the time. And sadly, the human stuff sucking does drag down the mystery elements, since story wise all of these reveals mostly just affect the human side of the story, specifically the conflict between Shun and Hugo + the Demon Lord.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Those Snow White Notes 5

Wow. This show is something special. I mean this was a simple "train the rookies episode" (RIP my ears) and it made me feel so much. Setsu and Glasses playing together was wonderful and the constructive interference waves used were a beautiful way to display that.

Some other things:

1. Glasses is totally fucking those Shamisen. Change my mind.

2. Blue hair dude is totally gay. He was fawning over glasses the same way I WAS. He went from good to great this episode.

3. That teacher is a fucking treasure.

ODDTaxi is going to bring in the big guns because I've cried through half of this show so far.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I agree to an extent. When a lengthy arc comes and nails its ending, it's a special thing. Whereas the shorter arcs, sometimes it feels like they end just before they have the chance to become something truly special/epic.

That said, they're not dead yet. Like Promised Neverland's very first arc, or JJK's Shibuya Arc, those were sufficiently lengthy. Can't wait for the latter to get adapted.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
blog.sakugabooru.com

SSSS.DYNAZENON – Production Notes 01-04

SSSS.Dynazenon is an already fascinating follow-up to 2018’s Gridman, an equally evocative love letter to tokusatsu and mecha titles that wears its Anno influences in its sleeves, while also …
Some good production notes/analysis of the Dynazenon episodes out so far.
Also good to hear that Trigger has already finished production on the series.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
i like to watch stuff like 1-2 episodes a day over the course of like two weeks, so a single ep a week doesn't really do it for me. I do miss the discussion sometimes but I find I get a decent appreciation for going back and reading other people's posts later as well.
haha this is what I do.

I do like to pick one weekly anime original to watch for the season though.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Spider 16
More and more the Human stuff just gets in the way of the actual good stuff on spider side. The only good thing is the reveal that Humanification seems to be an easily acquirable skill, so hopefully our spider will get it here by the end of the season. The other reveals from D were real useful in covering what happened, why it happened and that some of the classmates weren't actually from Earth as we know it.

As for the demon lord, I was totally expecting it to be Mom, but am happily surprised it's someone else. I guess immortality is gonna come in very useful. The "her" tease was pretty good too. Hopefully next week will be full of even more surprises about the nature of the world.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Reflection Ray 4

I still don't think this is more than just okay, but I think it's finally more on the positive side of okay than the negative. Miyako's main priority right now seems to be shipping Hiori and Ruka, and I'm weirdly more invested in that than the actual relationship. Human friends in the know is always good. Hiori and Ruka's relationship does seem to be actually going somewhere at least. Meanwhile Momo continues to be such a failure that she's better off dropping her sword in favor of just punching. Now if only the fight scenes were any good at all I might be able to call this show decent.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Zombie Land Saga Revenge 4
This was like the perfect episode. The Ai and Junko stuff was great, the show itself amazing (Tae with the mad drumming skill), and the remix was electric (literally). I really hope this continues its upward momentum as this season is looking to eclipse the first.

Joran 5
So this is the second time the show has ended now that the Yukimura is dead. The only thing pushing this show forward is that the current regime and Nue are evil and should be stopped. It also doesn't help that when the brother died, I actually laughed out loud because it was so ridiculous.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Joran 5
So this is the second time the show has ended now that the Yukimura is dead. The only thing pushing this show forward is that the current regime and Nue are evil and should be stopped. It also doesn't help that when the brother died, I actually laughed out loud because it was so ridiculous.

Yep. It was very Japan Sinks.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
World building, but not plot intensive, dialog left out of the conversation in the beginning of Spider 16:

Kumoko is the first Zana Horowa because D rigged Zoa Ele and Ede Saine to blow. Zoa Ele gets rot attack and Ede Saine gets annihilating evil eye. Neither gets rot resistance. So if a spider at those stages uses their rot abilities, they die instantly. Kumoko lucked out because she spent weeks in the lower stratum too weak to prey on anything but those bugs that do rot damage. Meaning she had rot resistance when she evolved.

That sounds like something straight out of a SaGa game or the like.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bakuten Episode 4

Cutting out both performances just felt abrupt and oddly edited, wonder if they will add it in the final disc release.

Anyway, Watari was hilarious this episode, and Azuma is just perfection
E0ROgjKX0AEtxg-
E0RQkHqX0As6aPm

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Spider 16 zzz
somehow managed to fit swimsuits into this ,D info drop was useful and more or less some reveals confirmed things people already thought really don't know what else she really needs at this point

SSSS.Dynazenon 5
also managed to fit swimsuits but expected lol,overrall funny episode till it went to 100

Oct 25, 2017
Burning Kabaddi Episode 5

E0RVN-5WUAAQ9PL
E0RYwmMWEAMRPKs

Wow two sports gods taking each other on, this is incredible. Wonder who will come out on top, Yoigoshi does pull out surprises every now and then but Takaya probably does the same.

"Oji's Friend" will have to do something too I hope.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
These Snow White Notes 5
Another enjoyable episode. Would like a little character development for everyone not that main character, though.

MHA S5 5
Oh no! Not mushrooms!
/s

First bad episode of the season. How on earth did mushroom girl pass the entrance exam for the hero course? At least there was no Bakugo at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Shadows House 1-3

Wow this was even better than I thought. It looks really good and has great soundtrack. It has a really interesting mystery and while I have a few theories I am still lost on where it will go. There are so many twists and turns (and more to come it seems). The characters so far are interesting too in unexpected ways and are well acted.

Give this anime a chance. It is great.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
First bad episode of the season. How on earth did mushroom girl pass the entrance exam for the hero course? At least there was no Bakugo at all.
She can grow mushrooms everywhere her spores can reach, she can easily break robots with that
she can easily kill people with that too considering the amount of poisonous mushrooms that exist

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it's MHA, you guys are like about 5 seasons too late to start being like 'wow what a lame power', like 60% of the series is people being like "i'll show you what I can do with this shit-ass power" and the other 40% is people getting handed a golden ticket

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S3 5

i could have lived for 10000 years and still not have predicted what was in that bag lmao

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
it's MHA, you guys are like about 5 seasons too late to start being like 'wow what a lame power', like 60% of the series is people being like "i'll show you what I can do with this shit-ass power" and the other 40% is people getting handed a golden ticket
This only makes sense for about 5 characters only, not in this episode's case
Like the mushroom girl quirk is very fun because of how silly and how deadly it can be depending on the use
And in this same fight we have a guy that can control things just by merging into it and it is pretty cool (and makes me angry that he has better animation than Mirio in S4 but I digress)
Also I dont get the golden ticket bit

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Shadows House 1-3

Wow this was even better than I thought. It looks really good and has great soundtrack. It has a really interesting mystery and while I have a few theories I am still lost on where it will go. There are so many twists and turns (and more to come it seems). The characters so far are interesting too in unexpected ways and are well acted.

Give this anime a chance. It is great.
Yes, there's too many great anime this season, but people still shouldn't sleep on this.

ED MV is out now.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
MHA 91

Damn Kaminari getting the good animation.
Suprised manga readers seemed down on this arc, aside from the school stuff being a bit meh at this point i think its been very enjoyable so far.

Snow White Notes 5

Starting to feel like all the side characters are just there to prop up Setsu, none of them feel like they have much an arc set up other than getting better at the shamisen.

Odd Taxi 4

Amazing episode. I got my Geo daddy Zhiongli this morning so i cant relate though lol.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S3 5

i could have lived for 10000 years and still not have predicted what was in that bag lmao
vape'd.
Thunderbolt Fantasy 05

Mostly an info dump ep laying out things on the table but a welcome one. Wanted more out of Ken x Tien Mei scenes but I guess that has to suffice for now and we got some pretty pivotal info on Shou and more of big locust dude to come.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
MHA 91

Damn Kaminari getting the good animation.
Suprised manga readers seemed down on this arc, aside from the school stuff being a bit meh at this point i think its been very enjoyable so far.

Snow White Notes 5

Starting to feel like all the side characters are just there to prop up Setsu, none of them feel like they have much an arc set up other than getting better at the shamisen.

Odd Taxi 4

Amazing episode. I got my Geo daddy Zhiongli this morning so i cant relate though lol.
I liked the arc, issue was the chapters were short due to author health so it dragged on way longer than it would have normally

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Snow White Notes 5

To be fair. I think the show has never sold us otherwise. It's really about Setsu's journey to find his own sound and overcome grief; He's lucky he has such a wholesome group of people around him. I also feel nervous when they try to do that in a 12 ep series, that always never works.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Burning Kabaddi #5

Such a hype episode. Great change from the last one, upping the stakes at last and finally having a proper match.

Yoigoshi done made me proud. I kind of think his confidence will end up costing them the match, but we'll see. A crazy fun show as always.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 95

Mushroom's girl power is incredibly fucked when you realize how easy it would be for her to mass murder a ton of people with it. Tokoyami still looked cool in this. I question Momo's thought process on waiting on giving Tokoyami the heat vision goggles if she really thought about it earlier. Anyways best part of the whole arc coming up.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai Episode 30:

Oh sure, you are giving Popp the big death send up but I am not buying for one second he is gone.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So I start watching episode 5 of Thunderbolt Fantasy S3 and... yeah I sure as hell didn't imagine that being in the bag.

Did they use an actual Nendoroid or something?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Slime 300 4
Surprised at shift to DBZ-like action for a small chunk of the episode. Less surprised by everything wrapping up at a hot spring.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there's too many great anime this season, but people still shouldn't sleep on this.

ED MV is out now.

Agreed. Like Vivy, it is one of those that would be one of the best ones every season but it had to come in a season that has so many good ones so it became underrated. People should watch it. It is really good so far.

Thanks for the link BTW. It is a banger.

Status
Not open for further replies.