• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is having trouble matching demand (except for Series S which has exceed it), Sony just happens to be having a better manufacturing pipeline.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS are making too many series s for the UK (and I think the rest of the more privileged western markets) and too few series X. You would hope they would get the supply problem worked out sooner rather than later before the gap between it and ps5 gets too big.
They're making more X then S. Phil mentioned this.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It was a huge mistake to prioritise the Series S as it has been. It's the cheapest entryway into the new gen, but either people aren't sure what it is or it's not really all that desirable and should have been something they pushed down the line. They would have been able to manufacture more Series X in these crucial months to meet demand, and probably would have had more performance data to go off too.

On the flip side, I kind of wish that Sony manufactured something similar. Almost a year in and I still can't find a PS5, so an S model would have been a great alternative until stocks stabilised.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Of 'common occurrence', that's the literal definition. Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning behind it, or perhaps my intent when using it?

Power supply failures amongst failed consoles have been common. Please point me in the direction of an independent repairer that thinks otherwise.
Still waiting for receipts on your claim.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Microsoft produced much less Series X consoles than S and now is harder to find than PS5 (at least where i live). On other hand i'm really surprised with Sony consistent restocks in EU. A lot of countries are getting restock multiple times per month.

They're making more X then S. Phil mentioned this.

or maybe i'm wrong then. Seems like everyone want X while Series S is in stock since launch months.

Last edited:

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
Look for the patterns in reports of failure, look at faulty PS5s being sold. This isn't saying there's an inherent failure before you are all so quick to ask for sources; in order for my comment to be sensationalised.

It is quite common for PSU failures in electronics, either being the primary failure or secondary cause.

Why would failing PSU PS5 end up in independent repair shops, they are still within warranty?

Only recent PSU failures I heard about is Gigabyte @ Gamers Nexus.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah, Microsoft produced much less Series X consoles than S

This seems unlikely. Heck, even in Japan, they're selling them at a fairly even split and that's a much smaller market.

Seems like everyone want X while Series S is in stock since launch months.

They're selling every Series S they make, and resupplying. Selling at a much slower rate than the X, but still selling quite well.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Series x is literally impossible to find in the UK at the moment. Amazon haven't had a restock since July.

My friend has been trying to buy one and every retailer he has tried is sold out

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Is the series s really readily available in USA?

I have just checked Amazon.com and best buy and it is out of stock

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I bet a big part of why Series X is in low supply recently is because of the Halo bundle. Perhaps even a Battlefield and or Forza special edition is likely to happen.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I bet a big part of why Series X is in low supply recently is because of the Halo bundle. Perhaps even a Battlefield and or Forza special edition is likely to happen.
Yep, have to reserve units for those.
Would be pretty sad to launch and not have any of those units after all the advertising.

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Huge number of series x on eBay uk though.

Such a shame these units haven't ended up in the hands of genuine gamers.

Hopefully once more get into the market the price will go down which will lead to these eBay scalpers desperate to sell.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

Has 3 months of gamepass slapped on though.

I don't think I've ever seen gamestop sell a next gen console outside of some bundle sense launch.

Bundle escalation is a problem in U.K. also…

For example, site called Game Collection in the U.K. only sells PS5 in one bundle and this is it lol. Sold out so can't see price but I imagine each item is at RRP (so likely ÂŁ800-900).

192_1630060567_27848.jpg

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I'd say the opposite. PSU failures and coil whine are rife on launch PS5s, not to mention an early revision being required due to manufacturing costs. The Series X is a solidly built machine.

I agree anecdotally ps5 seems to have more issues but I don't think we have enough data on failure rate to know if it is actually statistically significant.

Mar 11, 2019
I think MS already ordered large amount series S consoles / AMD chips in advance, and highly overestimated the demand for this console. So soon after launch seems it can be regarded as a failed experiment. Not that I mind (since it may hold back games) I did not expect this to this extend, Sony did saw this coming in advance.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS already ordered large amount series S consoles / AMD chips in advance, and highly overestimated the demand for this console. So soon after launch seems it can be regarded as a failed experiment. Not that I mind (since it may hold back games) I did not expect this to this extend, Sony did saw this coming in advance.
I think the Series S was supposed to be somewhat of a Switch Killer - same price but next-gen.
Doesnt really work out like this as of now though.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Series S will get a bump once Horizon 5 and Infinite launch. I think people will realize with these new titles that it is perfectly capable.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I want to buy the X here in spain, but there is no stock, and the few i have seen, is packs for 600€ which i aint paying.
Not a big issue tho, already have pc+ps5+switch

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Series S was supposed to be somewhat of a Switch Killer - same price but next-gen.
Doesnt really work out like this as of now though.
Switch is selling gangbusters because of Nintendo IPs, and only them. I mean, the hardware is the most boring Nintendo hardware ever. A tablet with the worse controllers ever since the Atari? XSS will probably sell better once it'll have more exclusives, like Halo Infinite and the Betheda games.

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

To call the series s a failed experiment is incredibly premature.

We don't even know the sales figures for it.

This is a long term strategy for Microsoft. I suspect it will have sold more units than the X by the end of the generation.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 seems to be the console people want. The success in the PS4 generation is paying off along with investment in games people want to play.

FF7 Remake, Spider-Man, and God of War seem like a trifecta that will capture almost everyone interested in games.

The people buying game consoles are no longer just parents or grandparents who have never touched a modern console. The demographics are changing.

FF being exclusive to PlayStation is a huge deal. Spider-Man is one of the best selling titles over the past two years.

The most likely cause of Xbox shortages right now is they were slow to manufacture, because they didn't expect to sell as many boxes. The Series S split out made things worse and the chip shortages given the requirements of their chip set is making it more difficult to react to whatever the excess demand is for Xbox Series X.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is selling gangbusters because of Nintendo IPs, and only them. I mean, the hardware is the most boring Nintendo hardware ever. A tablet with the worse controllers ever since the Atari? XSS will probably sell better once it'll have more exclusives, like Halo Infinite and the Betheda games.
I disagree. The hardware is among the most important things of the Switch it's the other Plattforms that look quite boring compared to the Switch.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch hardware is very appealing to a large audience and is a big part of why the Switch has sold so well (in tandem with Nintendo IPs of course). If your looking for unappealing hardware that only sells due to Nintendo games, just look at the Wii U.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch hardware is very appealing to a large audience and is a big part of why the Switch has sold so well (in tandem with Nintendo IPs of course). If your looking for unappealing hardware that only sells due to Nintendo games, just look at the Wii U.
Saying it's boring doesn't mean it's not appealing. Tablets are actually selling gangbusters, public love them. Aout 150 million tablets are bought every year worldwide. Using a common but effective tablet as a hardware for their games was actually genius. But ultimately, Switch is just that: A tablet repurposed for gaming. They invented nothing as those already existed. What they did this time, was focusing on their strong IPs without the Wii / Wii U gimmicks. And this is what people really wanted.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Saying it's boring doesn't mean it's not appealing. Tablets are actually selling gangbusters, public love them. Aout 150 million tablets are bought every year worldwide. Using a common but effective tablet as a hardware for their games was actually genius. But ultimately, Switch is just that: A tablet repurposed for gaming. They invented nothing as those already existed. What they did this time, was focusing on their strong IPs without the Wii / Wii U gimmicks. And this is what people really wanted.
The tablet is just one part of the Switch as a product. If you think Switch is boring a device every console since the NES has been boring.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Jimbo may have ultimately been right about the Series S lol. I remember era was frying him when he said this:

"One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We've considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is."

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
If the Series S doesn't fly off the shelves after Black Friday/Halo/Christmas then we can start wondering if it was the right choice to make it.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The Series S has been readily available since launch here in Australia. Interesting to see it's the same case even in the US now.

I was very lucky to get my Series X, though. Happened to walk into a store at the right time. I do think they should have anticipated that enthusiasts would be the ones buying at this point, and that the ratio should have been much more in favour of the X.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
The Series S has been readily available since launch here in Australia. Interesting to see it's the same case even in the US now.

I was very lucky to get my Series X, though. Happened to walk into a store at the right time. I do think they should have anticipated that enthusiasts would be the ones buying at this point, and that the ratio should have been much more in favour of the X.
It's not, at all. 4 of 5 biggest retailers don't have it in stock.

The lone GameStop listing is not even a point in favor of saying it's readily available as the Series S was just up at Amazon two weeks ago and sold out tens of thousands of units in like two days. Every time a drop happens at a separate retailer the Series S sells out. It's the slowest to sell out but it still happens.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
On the flip side, I kind of wish that Sony manufactured something similar. Almost a year in and I still can't find a PS5, so an S model would have been a great alternative until stocks stabilised.
I'm in the same boat. I already have a Series X so I don't need another premium console, but a smaller less powerful PS5s would be perfect for me.
PS5 seems to be the console people want. The success in the PS4 generation is paying off along with investment in games people want to play.

FF7 Remake, Spider-Man, and God of War seem like a trifecta that will capture almost everyone interested in games.

The people buying game consoles are no longer just parents or grandparents who have never touched a modern console. The demographics are changing.

FF being exclusive to PlayStation is a huge deal. Spider-Man is one of the best selling titles over the past two years.

The most likely cause of Xbox shortages right now is they were slow to manufacture, because they didn't expect to sell as many boxes. The Series S split out made things worse and the chip shortages given the requirements of their chip set is making it more difficult to react to whatever the excess demand is for Xbox Series X.
And this is why the Series S is so important for Xbox. The Xbox brand can't compete with PS atm, so having a much cheaper system to sell to people who already have a PS5 will pay off for MS down the road.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm in the same boat. I already have a Series X so I don't need another premium console, but a smaller less powerful PS5s would be perfect for me.

Yeah, or the PS5 digital?

In my case, I would love to own another premium console alongside the Series X, but Sony is certainly making it very hard. Why not just give us an option to pre-order or something?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And this is why the Series S is so important for Xbox. The Xbox brand can't compete with PS atm, so having a much cheaper system to sell to people who already have a PS5 will pay off for MS down the road.

Most people don't own two different home consoles. Series S was specifically designed to push so called casuals into purchasing sooner in the generation instead of waiting on price drops.

It seems as if though MS isn't even making lots of Series S consoles to at least match PS5 shipments in the wake of no XSXs being available. It's just odd and no one seems to be asking them about it. Maybe everyone just assumes it's the chip shortage but they initially claimed that inventory would begin to sort it's self out around summer.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Honestly, the thing with a device like the Series S is I feel it is more appealing to the hardcore crowd than the casual crowd despite being created to be the other way around. I think the casual crowd when buying a whole new console is going to look at the more powerful device even if it is more expensive. In other words, they aren't stupid and they know which one is the 'Real Xbox'. You see this happen with new iPhones where the premium model sells a lot more than the cheaper alternative. The Series S right now feels like a great GamePass machine for people who already game on other consoles aka core gamers. People who want Xbox to be their main console would probably rather have the Series X

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Most people don't own two different home consoles. Series S was specifically designed to push so called casuals into purchasing sooner in the generation instead of waiting on price drops.

It seems as if though MS isn't even making lots of Series S consoles to at least match PS5 shipments in the wake of no XSXs being available. It's just odd and no one seems to be asking them about it. Maybe everyone just assumes it's the chip shortage but they initially claimed that inventory would begin to sort it's self out around summer.
Plenty of people own two systems, and the Series S will push even more people. This was a console specifically designed as a companion system. It's not hard to se where Series S is going to have it's success. MS is going to have plenty of can't miss exclusives this gen, and Series S with Game Pass is going to be the go-to console for people who already have a PS5.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

This maybe one of the craziest, most delusional takes I've seen when it comes to the series s. Hell maybe even the series x as well. If you honestly think the xbox series s is going to outsell the switch overall then you really are living in another reality.

You are vastly overestimating how much the greater population cares for xbox and vastly underestimating how many people will buy and play a Switch that couldn't even name you 3 xbox exclusives, let alone Bethesda ones.

Edit: was pointed out I misread your post and I apologise for that.

Last edited:

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
This maybe one of the craziest, most delusional takes I've seen when it comes to the series s. Hell maybe even the series x as well. If you honestly think the xbox series s is going to outsell the switch overall then you really are living in another reality.

You are vastly overestimating how much the greater population cares for xbox and vastly underestimating how many people will buy and play a Switch that couldn't even name you 3 xbox exclusives, let alone Bethesda ones.

Pretty sure you've misread what they posted.

They are just saying that what sells Nintendo consoles is their first party line-up, not the hardware. Which I partially agree with, although the Switch is a special case because it unified their home console and handheld offerings.

Also, they aren't saying the Series S will "sell better" than Switch, just that it will "sell better" when the bigger exclusives start to release for it.