• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Just recently re-read Blood Meridian (or the Evening Redness in the West) in my native language after having read the novel in English a year or two ago and wondered if there's any video game that comes close to Blood Meridian's style, apocalyptic (Western) setting, raw violence and religious, fatalistic and militant themes and symbolism.

Since I doubt there's something exactly like the novel in video game form I'd be happy if there's games that tick some those checkboxes.

For those unfamiliar with the novel (others can skip this and the next paragraph): It's historic fiction and tells a story about the kid escaping from home with fourteen and joins a band of scalp hunters around 1850, led by historical real life character and sadistic fuck John Joel Glanton, set mostly in Mexican and Texan territory, who set out to kill Apaches for the bounty the Mexican government placed on the scalps and soon start to slaughter peaceful natives and even Mexicans and other innocent people on random occasion. It's not only the horrifying brutality but also the narrator's and reader's disconnection from the characters' thoughts and the sheer indifference of the narrator and even the characters to what happens, while the novel shows probably one of the most terrifying and dangerous but also charismatic antagonist of fictional works: judge Holden, who is literate, educated, talented talker and amazingly strong and perceptive and also persuasive and intimidating but also sadistic and brutal as Glanton and very strange, often child and godlike together in appearance.

Now add almost lyrical descriptions of nature, most of it as violent and indifferent to people on the land as the characters, with barren deserts and hardships, and a lot of religious symbolism and challenged Christianity to the mix and you get a truly unsettling but also captivating novel. It is in many ways an anti-Western devoid of any romanticism often associated with stories set in the old West and draws relentlessly on a dark historical chapter in America.

Is there any game remotely like this? If we stay in the Western genre RDR (2) might be the obvious choice and, at times, you can play it like that but the world itself is way too romanticised and idealised and not remotely as bitter and nihilistic as Blood Meridian and nature is also not as dangerous as in the novel and it offers too often a humorous approach in portraying characters. Dutch, however, is a great antagonist (still not holding a candle to the Judge, though).

In terms of landscape and religious references (although not Christian) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice offers some parallels.

The Last of Us in terms of violence and an entirely dangerous world; TLOU2 adds the religious component.

But that's practically it what I can think off.

tldr, games with a truly dangerous antagonist that is so much more than just evil; focus on intimidating nature/landscapes to traverse; bleak perspective on human nature, the universe, and our purpose; apocalyptic vibes; devoid of romanticised depictions.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, there still hasn't been any other stories on the same level. Blood Meridian is truly a unique experience irregardless of the medium.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People will say The Last of Us because they don't even fucking know. That book. Christ.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, imagine gaming trying to handle the complex characters in The Road when people got mad that Abby hated Joel.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Ask me again in about two years!

1428502475-wink.gif

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I have barely started it, but so far I've really gotten this vibe from the 2018 God of War, which wasn't what I was expecting. It might just be that it's about a dad and kid and the dad speaks in short, stark sentences, and I'm guessing it changes later, but it does seem like they were definitely trying to invoke that tone.

What I really want to find are games like The Glass Menagerie or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, maybe. I hope VR creates more of these opportunities.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
If we stay in the Western genre RDR (2) might be the obvious choice and, at times, you can play it like that but the world itself is way too romanticised and idealised and not remotely as bitter and nihilistic as Blood Meridian
Please note: On the spectrum of how humans perceive reality, McCarthy is exceptionally nihilistic and bleak, to the point of heightened reality and sometimes absurdity (and I say this as a big fan).

The fact that RDR2 is not as nihilistic and bleak as the most nihilistic and bleak fiction out there, does not in any way make it "romanticised and idealised". If anything, I would say that RDR2 would probably sit comfortably in the range of what most historians (and most laypeople) would call somewhat realistic, while John Wayne-movies from the 1950s would sit on the romanticised and idealised side of the spectrum.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man what was that one post apocalyptic XBLA game where you could climb stuff and hold people up and stuff?
Edit: I AM ALIVE is the name of the game I think.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really think of anything in the AAA space that goes for McCarthy levels of bleakness. I am Alive borrows a lot from The Road aesthetically but nothing in that game gets nearly as dark as the novel.

Maybe there's some indie games that go for something like that, but I don't know any of the top of my head.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Blood Meridian? Absolutely nothing I'm aware of.

That book transcends fucking space and time, friend.

Edit: You should read Roberto Bolano's 2666 as well, as should everyone! Dark night of the soul material.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Blood Meridian is a singular work across any genre. I don't think you'll find anything satisfying your objectives.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
What a great question, OP! I'll be thinking about this a lot.

Planescape Torment is about the closest I can think of. Similar "everything is fucked" vibe, religious angle, morally dubious characters, quasi-poetic language.

It's fantasy but has the same completely suffocating atmosphere.

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Ask me again in about two years!

1428502475-wink.gif
🧐

saving this post for this day in two years!

I thought about this as well. It clearly has the things you described and a likewise "unnatural" world and bitterness to it.

You should read Roberto Bolano's 2666 as well, as should everyone!
Never heard of this but I'll check it out. I recently started with Donald Pollock and S. Craig Zahler who show some parallels.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really comes close, honestly. Blood Meridian is a step above most things

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If you really want something that fits in with the themes of all of that, Dark Souls (or Bloodborne for that matter) really fits more than most do with how it approaches similar topics and themes, albeit from an apocalyptic fantasy vibe instead of the apocalyptic western vibe.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
This may be odd but I got McCarthy vibes from Bastion, probably because the Western style and narrator always saying the kid.

Seems like I saw an interview though saying he was an inspiration during dev of Bastion

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Spec Ops The Line is the closest I can think of as an apocalyptic treatment of the American fascination with violence. But even then it's not particularly close.

ProZach

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps an odd comparison, but Dragon Age Inquisition does quite a decent job of portraying a hyper religious society contending with the return of the messiah/apocalypse. Kinda like Western Europe as the first millennium approached

ProZach

Oct 27, 2017
Bit tenuous, but Nier Automata also has good Paradise Lost epic religious vibes. Always thought Paradise Lost was a big Blood Meridian inspo

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018

Edit: You should read Roberto Bolano's 2666 as well, as should everyone! Dark night of the soul material.

I actually just finished 2666 last week. It's incredible, but it took me a couple months to get through, mainly because of The Part About the Crimes. I may read his The Savage Detectives next as I've heard great things about that one as well.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I haven't read Blood Meridian (but I've now bought the audiobook so listening to it now) but going by the details, I'd also second I Am Alive. Even though it doesn't have as imposing a single antagonist as Judge Holden, it's got a really bleak atmosphere and fatalism.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I would love to see a game with a just a slither of the brutality of Blood Meridian's world try to get past todays gaming journalism.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i hate to dust off this tired chestnut but reading blood meridian i was reminded of dark souls or bloodborne more than anything particularly "western"

i'd love a game to tackle the earlier half of 19th century america but hoo boy that'd step on a lot of eggshells

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017

No! Another recommendation for 2666. I guess I really need to give it a read.

I just finished Blood Meridian recently, too. Probably one of the best books ever written - no shit. It's just a nightmare. I re-downloaded RDR2 for the western thing, but the tone of BM is just not something attempted by this medium, really.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kind of surprised to see I Am Alive mentioned here but it kind of fits. Every encounter in that game has the possibility to turn fatal and necessary supplies (including such basics as water and food) are so limited that you need to very carefully consider your actions. Those times when you're
using your empty gun to threaten an enemy to back up off a ledge to a fatal fall, or to walk into a fire so they burn to death
are genuinely kind of harrowing.

From the Guardian's review

Over the course of its plot, I Am Alive presents players with a harrowing look into the dark side of the human psyche and the sort of horrific acts people are capable of when might-is-right becomes the rule of law. The moral depths that some of the people in Haventon have plummeted to are sickening, but the developers explore them in a way that is never cheap or tawdry. They always feel like realistic by-products that would occur after the collapse of civilisation. [...]

In this way, I Am Alive uses its post-apocalyptic environment far more effectively than many other games that share its nightmare vision of the future. I Am Alive joins games such as Fallout, RAGE and Left 4 Dead in its setting where a some horrendous event put paid to civilisation as we know it, but in truth, it's far closer in its atmosphere and aesthetic values to Cormac MacCarthy's grim post-apocalyptic novel, The Road.

It takes a hard, unblinking look at how humans behave when social order is destroyed and then builds horror upon horror, allowing only the briefest glimpses of human decency to shine through. It's a work of art that speaks to the human condition. It shows us what we could become if we allowed our basest impulses to take over and what we could be if we cling to our humanity at all costs. It reminds us that there's more to being alive than simply surviving.

Not sure I'd go that far, but it is unique in a lot of ways.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this but I'll check it out.
No! Another recommendation for 2666. I guess I really need to give it a read.

I just finished Blood Meridian recently, too. Probably one of the best books ever written - no shit. It's just a nightmare. I re-downloaded RDR2 for the western thing, but the tone of BM is just not something attempted by this medium, really.
It's totally worth it, but is also quite the bleak look into the black mirror for sure. Still, much like Blood Meridian, its dreams and visions are far worth the price of entry, which is a certain focal point of the story that turns many stomachs.

Ha would love to see that adapted. The one about e bodies not so much
Even that would have potential and I'm serious- imagine the point about the crimes as a point and click adventure "game".

It's a nightmare fit for this world, like a CyberPunk BD.

I actually just finished 2666 last week. It's incredible, but it took me a couple months to get through, mainly because of The Part About the Crimes. I may read his The Savage Detectives next as I've heard great things about that one as well.
Yeah, I'm of two minds about The Part About the Crimes- I think it's perfect but I think there's better parts of the book, and everyone focuses on it instead. 😂

I honestly wonder how many people refuse to finish the first part out of sheer initial boredom and never make it to the horror within.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Even that would have potential and I'm serious- imagine the point about the crimes as a point and click adventure "game".

It's a nightmare fit for this world, like a CyberPunk BD.
i mean i think that book would be the easiest to adapt, be a participant in the crimes, but i could see walking sims for the critics, adventure game for the boxing journalist, i dont remember much about book 2 tbh, but man book 5 as some sort of romansbildung/warioware would be amazing. the part where the boy he is is not the man he grew up to be would be hard to pull of but....

Wow, I really need to read more of his stuff, i loved nazi lit in the americas (PSA: I am not a nazi) a little Borges-like.

Yeah, I'm of two minds about The Part About the Crimes- I think it's perfect but I think there's better parts of the book, and everyone focuses on it instead
yeah it's hard to get through at points, but then book 5, again, is like dessert. I mean, if i remember they literally eat ice cream on the last page? ha

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I really need to read more of his stuff, i loved nazi lit in the americas (PSA: I am not a nazi) a little Borges-like.
I read one of his short story collections but I too should read more by him... Borges by the way is a literary god as well, I reread him a lot too.

yeah it's hard to get through at points, but then book 5, again, is like dessert.
So fucking true! On my second time through I relished the part about the author, it's transcendent!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's one of those stories like Confederacy of Dunces that would be hard to match tone and story telling in ANY medium.