• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
My vaccinated girlfriend got it in Florida a month ago now. I never experienced any symptoms and she doesn't live with me so I don't know if I had it or not, I might have been asymptomatic.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pushing through a breakthrough infection right now. Had really unpleasant sinus infection-like symptoms the other day so I took a test and it came back positive. Things were at their worst last night with a really bad chill and fever and full body aches, but the fever broke shortly after going to bed. It hasn't been fun but it's about on par with a bad cold. Luckily it hasn't impacted my lower respiratory system at all, and I didn't lose taste or smell beyond what usually happens when you're all plugged up.

Dec 30, 2020
Both my mum and I, fully vaccinated. In her case she has a repressed immune system so it was much scarier. And even though we're recovering now, we have to isolate from other people until mid-September because it will hang out in her system longer than usual.

We wore masks, washed hands, avoided seeing people, then one asshole rocks up to one funeral while positive with no mask because covid's so over and done

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
in palm beach county, i got the j+j vaccine at the beginning of may, and got covid at the end of the may. symptoms were the same as OP. went away after a couple of weeks. took about three and a half weeks to finally get a negative test back.
nowm seemingly every day i'm overhearing someone at work, at a bar, or on the phone at publix or whatever, talking about how their friend/family-member got covid. every time, it's very nonchalnt.
no masks at the restaurant i work at, or any of the other restaurants around here, and probably only half of people are wearing masks again in stores.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I'm fully vaxxed but still will choose outdoors over crowded indoor places

hearing how bad these symptoms sound with fully vax is scary

You're not hospital bound sure, but nobody wants to be cramping and vomiting in cold sweats for 3 plus weeks either šŸ˜­

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If it's any consolation, most scientists believe the virus is proper endemic and herd immunity is not going to work. So if not now, you would have gotten it later or next year. The thing is just to be vaccinated so that every time you get it, it's a mild disease.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife's boss and his wife both got Covid 2 weeks ago and both have been vaccinated since March. They are both almost 70.
Mild symptomsā€¦but I wonder if they would both be dead without the vaccine.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was holding on to hope, but this beer tastes like shit. God damn it. I just checked the apple cider vinegar... nothing. No smell, and taste is fucked up only for the things I really enjoy.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that my sister who is a vaccinated nurse here in FL was admitted to ER, she has viral pneumonia from COVID they gave her steroids and an inhaler and sent her back home. Fuck FL
Sounds like she's doing fine and the vaccine did it's job.

That being said, where's my 3rd fucking jab, I want Moderna.

OP
OP
Jhey Cyphre

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Were people under the impression that the vaccine made you invincible?

No. But breakthrough infection do seem to be uncommon.

There is not a mask mandate or stricter travel restrictions because vacationers will just say "fuck it" and go anyway, as evidenced by this thread.

Mask mandates and travel restrictions are too very different things. According to my girlfriend basically nobody ware a mask in Disney World.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
The basic replication number combined with the speed in which covid mutates and the large swaths of people who aren't vaccinated means that immunized people will get covid.

If half the US was unvaccinated against measles, you'd see breakthrough measles infections all the time.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
My cousin is a doctor in Houston and she already has some coworkers that have gotten covid twice since they were vaccinated earlier this year. I think when more data comes in we're going to see a lot of vaccinated first responders got covid multiple times. As far as I'm concerned now the vaccine just prevents me from dieing

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to not get it before being vaccinated, and fuck if I'm going to get it now. I'm using my vaccination status to go and do things again, but doing them assuming the rest of the people are unvaccinated. Birthday party...yes, but outdoors and only vaccinated invited. Movies...sure, but middle of a weekday and seated far away from others. Dining...hell yeah, but still, outside seating at a table as far from others as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
The mask mandate is back in my county (I live right next to Washington D.C. so it makes sense. Nobody I know personally has gotten it since being vaccinated and I hope it stays like that

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Got my second Pfizer dose back in April but tested positive a few weeks ago while I was with family in New York.

Symptoms just consisted of prolonged fatigue, strong cold symptoms for a weekend, and this weird perfume-y odor embedded in my nose that screwed with my smell and taste. The last part was what got me to get tested in the first place.

Thankfully everyone that was near me that week got their own tests and tested negative which suggests I wasn't a carrier. Also I feel for the most part better now - trying to get another test to confirm it but I'm 99% sure I'm negative at this point.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot to mention I got the bootleg J&J vaccine... not saying getting one of the other ones would have helped me... but my girlfriend was with my son that entire time and didn't get it.
Johnson vaccine only protects you up to 65%.
Highest protection are Pfizer and Moderna with up to 95%.
Values might be different for Delta.

OP
OP
Jhey Cyphre

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Johnson vaccine only protects you up to 65%.
Highest protection are Pfizer and Moderna with up to 95%.
Values might be different for Delta.

Those look like the Delta values I read about a few weeks ago. I think Pfizer and Moderna were closer to 80% for that one. J&J was basically a coin flip.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
My heart goes out to those who are vaccinated and do everything to protect themselves but still end up catching it.

Seriously folks, only get on a plane if you absolutely have to.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure most of these intelligent folks are vaccinated.

can't wait to see how many people come back from that snap-on convention with COVID. It's being held down there in florida............absolutely beautiful timing.

Also wearing a mask isn't going to do much if you get from someone sick who isn't wearing one. It's to prevent spreading........not getting sick.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Not yet, I'm still waiting for my second dose so I've been turtling up at home. I do have several fully vaccinated neighbors that caught it though, with symptoms ranging from mild headaches to week long sickness.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Had covid last year, been vaccinated since April, and I currently have Covid again. My only symptom is a slightly scratchy throat. Last time I had Covid I couldn't get out of bed for 4 days. The only reason I got tested because the event I was at last weekend sent an email saying there was multiple people who tested positive. I basically feel fine so the vaccine is doing it's job!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not yet, but I work on a college campus that's hoping to resume at full speed with in-person learning and events and move-in week is coming up next week.

I feel like it's only a matter of time.

The kinda-good news is that there's technically a vaccine mandate and mask mandate for campus, but given how the general population is responding to the latter, I feel like I'm finally going to catch COVID via the Delta variant. The campus vaccine mandate can be declined by incoming students and staff but they have to get mandatory testing twice a week instead. I'm hoping most students and staff won't opt to go that route, and if it's like the testing was last year (campus-wide mandatory weekly testing for all students and faculty), there won't really be strong enforcement of it.

I really don't want COVID. I never wanted it. I just have to hope that my age, health, and vaccination do a good job of making it a bearable experience if I do catch it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This is nonsense, wearing a mask or double masking is absolutely giving you significant protection against unmasked infected people.

Only if they are properly fittedā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. Significant is a strong word when most masks leave gaps and space right next to your cheek or nose due to improper fitting.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
T minus 4 days for my unvaccinated 4th grader to go to school.

thanks anti maskers and anti vax assholes. I cant believe we are in this position.

May 14, 2021
Yep, also in Florida. I felt nothing, but the rehab center where my grandmother is recovering from a broken back wouldn't let me in to be with her. Their test is how I knew I had it, so I'm appreciative for that as it let me know I should quarantine for two weeks, which led to a platinum in Returnal.

Nov 13, 2017
Bumping this thread. Can more people share what their experience was like with a breakthrough infection or if they know of people with a breakthrough?

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife tested positive a few weeks ago, I'm getting tested today to see if I have it since I've been showing some symptoms.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
My Mother is medically vulnerable and tested positive last Monday, she has had both jabs. She is still worn out and ill with it over a week later but she has a very weak immune system anyway. It was a nightmare scenario she might get it last year so we're hoping the jabs are helping.