• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Stick with it. You'll get there. I believe in each of you (Newegg shuffle ftw btw.).

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
Is Stock X reliable? I'm considering getting a console from there, but I'm not sure if they'll give me a used or brand-new one.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I'm sorry it's been so tough for some people.

The day preorders opened my friend messaged me that Amazon orders were up. Opened the app, put it in the cart. Order confirmed. At the time I was happy to get one obviously but didn't think much of it. The months since I guess hammered home how lucky I actually got.

I feel for everyone having a tough time. Hopefully fortune smiles on everyone still looking soon.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Worst part is when they pop up, it's those bundles with PS4 games, two controllers and camera. I just want the console itself god damn it.

If you have enough money, I say still get it.. and sell the controller and camera.... and if possible the PS4 games.

How much do you think you'll end up sacrificing? $20-30 maybe?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I managed to score one at Target and I was telling everyone and then they canceled my order like 30 minutes later. It was almost kinda funny.

/Curb Your Enthusiasm music plays

OP
OP
ryan13ts

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I managed to score one at Target and I was telling everyone and then they canceled my order like 30 minutes later. It was almost kinda funny.

/Curb Your Enthusiasm music plays

Oh God, if I got an order placed and that happened after the hell I've put myself through...

Just, no. I'm very sorry that happened to you though.

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
In the last few months, I've done nothing live on my computer trying to get one, even going a full 24 hours one day without sleep doing NOTHING but searching and reloading store pages when restocks were plentiful and I still can't get one, out of dozens and dozens of restocks. It's always instantly gone as soon I try to check out, even when I use multiple devices in an attempt to just get one. I already have some substantial obsessive-compulsive mental health issues as it is already, and as you can imagine, these last 6 months, especially this last month, have nearly destroyed my mental health trying to get one.
Sad to hear this. I got mine within a week of being obsessive at spending all my time awake trying to get one.
You should take a break. Your behaviour isn't healthy.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I stopped trying OP. I am an impulse tech person with a long xbox and PC ecosystem history, but every time a new Playstation comes out I want it and usually get it. But this one has broken me and it was for the better I think. i My advice if I wasn't able to score either of the next gen systems, would be to just improve my PC or buy a new higher end PC and game there...unless you are looking for a 3090...

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
What frustrates me is how people go on talking about playing games on the PS5 as if everyone who wants one can easily get one.
The people who did get one seem to stop understanding how it's still kind of a white whale for most.

Oct 29, 2017
I actually just gave up. Ive been there the moment Target, Gamestop, and Walmart stock went live, had store apps, logged in, payment info ready to go... and have struck out each and every time.

Took my PS5 funds that I had stored away and bought a Nintendo Switch and a few games to go along with my XBox Series X - feel great about it actually!

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've posted before in another thread similar to this, but I highly recommend getting an "in stock" notification extension for your browser. It's the reason my brother and I was able to get a ps5 on 2 separate occasions. The extension will let you know the moment the system comes in stock at several online retailers (depending on which ones you choose). the extension I used is called OctoShop for the google browser. Also note, I've used it here in the U.S. so I'm not sure how it'll work/ if it'll work outside of the United States.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Im ashamed to say if i didn't get extremely lucky with that amazon drop the first night pre-orders went live i prob would have shameless bought one of those bundles or worse scalper. I wouldn't have the patience

I still don't think you're missing too much right now unless you're a huge demon's souls fan or/and really want to play Returnal

Jan 11, 2018
What frustrates me is how people go on talking about playing games on the PS5 as if everyone who wants one can easily get one.
The people who did get one seem to stop understanding how it's still kind of a white whale for most.

I know it's kind of me just being moody, but that thread here about "For those who have both a PS5 and Series X..." just twists the knife really deep cause I haven't been able to get either.

Im ashamed to say if i didn't get extremely lucky with that amazon drop the first night pre-orders went live i prob would have shameless bought one of those bundles or worse scalper. I wouldn't have the patience

I still don't think you're missing too much right now unless you're a huge demon's souls fan or/and really want to play Returnal

I was really hoping to get one for RE8. No way I'm going to play that on my OG PS4.

Nov 4, 2017
I've given up for now. However, the stories of stick drift and coil whine have me thinking I'm better off waiting in the hopes these things get fixed. I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Whats new egg shuffle?
It's basically a raffle on the website NewEgg where you enter and get randomly selected to be able to buy the items you select, including PS5s and various computer parts (lol what a thing to "win"). I think it happens every day but they may not necessarily have the same items every day. Also the PS5s are usually bundles so they can be more expensive than just the base console by several hundo sometimes.
Oh God, if I got an order placed and that happened after the hell I've put myself through...

Just, no. I'm very sorry that happened to you though.

It's alright! It's been a little disheartening but gotta keep trying.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's basically a raffle on the website NewEgg where you enter and get randomly selected to be able to buy the items you select, including PS5s and various computer parts (lol what a thing to "win"). I think it happens every day but they may not necessarily have the same items every day. Also the PS5s are usually bundles so they can be more expensive than just the base console by several hundo sometimes.

It's alright! It's been a little disheartening but gotta keep trying.
Ah makes sense. That's not a bad solution.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Target is only doing pick up! I imagine the store is managing individual inventory and which makes it easy for the system to sell units it doesn't have. But if you have deets I'm interested in knowing more!
Right, wasn't sure if this was supposed to be recent story or not though!

But anyway, no, actually it would require a pretty big issue for them to oversell these. Asset protection is tasked with regularly auditing counts for the new consoles, as well as securing the units and prepping them for sale days, and there's a lot of collaboration from on high. A count issue would have a lot of people looking into it very quickly.

For a lot of stores though, that means systems are stored in AP offices or in the store manager's office, rather than main stock rooms. And fulfillment is an area like cashiering, where you get a lot of cross-trained team members coming in to support, who might not be in the loop… Soooo you occasionally get the situation of the clueless TM who says "I don't know where this is, and it's not in the sales floor location", marks it as "not found", and moves on to the next item without a second thought. You'd THINK people would think to just ask, buuuut it happens more than it should.

TLDR, your PS5 was probably there, but you got screwed by a clueless backup/new hire who wasn't given the memo, and then someone else got the chance to buy it.

It's honestly probably worth it to politely make a fuss. Just call, ask why your order was canceled, and see if they can make it right by helping you get one from the next batch. There's a very real chance the store knows about the fuck-up, because if they're looking into the reports they'd immediately see that and start figuring out who did what, and was probably anticipating a call once they discovered it. Very much YRMV, but it's something that is done in some cases.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021
nah. i'll get one when they'll redesign it, shrink it and more games i want to play will be avaible.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not actively looking for one since the only thing I'm interested in at the moment is DeS but if I could casually buy one right now, I would. I tried 2 separate times to get one. Both times was with Walmart's shit show. I'm over it, I'll buy when its readily available.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Right, wasn't sure if this was supposed to be recent story or not though!

But anyway, no, actually it would require a pretty big issue for them to oversell these. Asset protection is tasked with regularly auditing counts for the new consoles, as well as securing the units and prepping them for sale days, and there's a lot of collaboration from on high. A count issue would have a lot of people looking into it very quickly.

For a lot of stores though, that means systems are stored in AP offices or in the store manager's office, rather than main stock rooms. And fulfillment is an area like cashiering, where you get a lot of cross-trained team members coming in to support, who might not be in the loop… Soooo you occasionally get the situation of the clueless TM who says "I don't know where this is, and it's not in the sales floor location", marks it as "not found", and moves on to the next item without a second thought. You'd THINK people would think to just ask, buuuut it happens more than it should.

TLDR, your PS5 was probably there, but you got screwed by a clueless backup/new hire who didn't get the memo, and then someone else got the chance to buy it.

It's honestly probably worth it to politely make a fuss. Just call, ask why your order was canceled, and see if they can make it right by helping you get one from the next batch. There's a very real chance the store knows about the fuck-up, because if they're looking into the reports they'd immediately see that and start figuring out who did what, and was probably anticipating a call once they discovered it. Very much YRMV, but it's something that is done in some cases.
Oh yeah, it was literally this morning. Honestly, I assumed there was never a unit for me because got canceled so quickly after I purchased it, so I never bothered calling because I didn't want to bother some poor Target worker when I imagined it was the system that failed. Interesting background information, thank you!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Oh yeah, it was literally this morning. Honestly, I didn't imagine that it would ever have actually been there since it got canceled so quickly after I purchased it, so I never bothered calling because I didn't want to bother some poor Target worker when I imagined it was the system that failed. Interesting background information, thank you!
Yeah, I would definitely give it a shot then. Like I said, be polite about it, but just ask if there's a leader who can make it up to you. Worst case scenario, you get nothing, best case you snag a system, and if not there's a decent chance you get an apology gift card or something. There's a good chance "Hey, I bought this after trying for months and I'm just bummed it immediately got canceled, can you help me out?" will get you a long way. I think people think you can only ever go full passive or full Karen, but if something gets messed up it's not wrong to ask if it can be fixed, and a good attitude about it can do a lot. Again, no guarantees, every store is different, but it can't hurt.

Last edited:

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get a preorder way back in September, but you aren't missing much. I've only turned my PS5 on a handful of times since Christmas, not much to play on it at the moment.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild to me I managed to snag one that first night in September, meanwhile folks that have been trying since then still haven't had luck. What a shitshow.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
It's wild to me I managed to snag one that first night in September, meanwhile folks that have been trying since then still haven't had luck. What a shitshow.
Me too.

I ignored it a bit, but then I got the hankering. 2 solid weeks of bullshit and 3 Walmart camp out and inventory tracking and blah blah blah.

Lucked out on online Walmart drop a couple of days before Xmas.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Did you try signing up for the direct.PlayStation invitation? That is how I got mine last month.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick of official retailers coming up with forced bundles and/or ludicrous reasons to increase the price.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I been trying to get a One S, and i haven't been this defeated since i brought the Daredevil DLC pack for Marvel Heroes on PS4 and they shut down the game a week later

I am not sure if it still works but there used to be a glitch on Microsoft's website in which you could get an order when they were out of stock by endlessly retrying after you got it in the cart. This may have just been the preorder page only so it may not work still. If you get it in the cart you are good to go with it. You'll need an auto clicker

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I tried to get one from GAME this morning and Smyths a couple of hours ago, but their websites are so shit that it's impossible. GAME is particularly annoying because bundles that are out of stock can still be added to your basket. So you add one, try to checkout, are told it's out of stock and when you try to add a different product it slaps a cooldown on you for trying to add too much stuff to your basket! There has to be a better way.

I wouldn't really care but my PS4 Pro is on it's last legs and has already been repaired once. I can't play without it shutting down through overheating so I just want a PS5 to replace it. First time ever where I want a new console just to play old games.

mid you have it in your basket just use an auto clicker on the order until it takes you to checkout. May take a day or more but will prevent you from missing out assuming you near your pc.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was like this and went months with out trying and then one day i saw the buying thread here and it said when walmart would have a drop and i said screw it and tried and i was lucky enough to get one.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I feel the same OP. While I am hyped for Demon's Souls, the biggest improvement was BC as I only have base PS4. Don't think I will get a PS5 until a new revision now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if it still works but there used to be a glitch on Microsoft's website in which you could get an order when they were out of stock by endlessly retrying after you got it in the cart. This may have just been the preorder page only so it may not work still. If you get it in the cart you are good to go with it. You'll need an auto clicker
Thanks but i got an S weeks ago

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I have. Used the 600 stimmy and purchased a switch instead. Made the right decision, the wife enjoys playing Nintendo games with me and I finally got introduced to monster Hunter with rise.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Funnily enough, I don't think I'd be interested in getting a PS5 now if it was readily available. There's no currently released PS5 game that I feel I need to play soon and moreover, I don't even have a 4K TV. I'd certainly find some use for it if I had one (mostly for some PS4 games I've saved up because I'd rather play them off an SSD at this point), but it's certainly not something I'd consider an essential gaming purchase for me at the moment.

But with how hard it is to get a hold of, and specifically with it remaining unclear when the situation will change exactly, I feel more compelled to get one sooner rather than later if I can manage it. Mostly because I'd prefer to have the system in hand once there are PS5 games releasing that I really want to play. Plus I think it's doubtful there's going to be a price drop or console revision by the time I'll really want one for a game I'm really interested in (like Horizon or God of War sequels), so there doesn't seem to be a financial incentive in waiting for my personal needs.

Curious how many others have been spurred into the rush of buying a PS5 mainly due to the unclear duration of the shortages, and just wanting to make sure they have the system 'ready to go' once their games of interest start releasing.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
My intent was to get both PS5 and Series X in the first 6 months. Got lucky and lined up before opening at a local EB games and snagged a Series X at launch. I was keeping fairly close tabs on PS5 supply for a few months post launch, but to be honest the Series X is giving me tons of gaming joy on it's own so my desire to get a PS5 has waned. Not only will I wait until supply is close to normalized....but I might hold out until Sony (hopefully) does a redesign.

I've never played things like God of War, and this is the console generation that will see me finally try these Sony bangers.
I got a Series X at launch so I've been pretty content. With the Mass Effect remaster and Disco Elysium on the summer I'll still be fine. Eventually they're will be some PS5 exclusives I wavy to play but that time hasn't arrived yet. The trouble is the credit going towards my PS5 purchase is tied up at GameStop so I'm at their mercy. They're only doing bundles and none of the bundles are appealing right now.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, people still havin trouble? Y'all usin sites like:

Sony PlayStation 5 In Stock Tracker - Slim Digital, Slim Disc Consoles - NowInStock.net

Looking for Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) but having no luck? Maybe our FREE Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) In Stock Tracker can help!

Feeling guilty AF that I've been able to find/buy 4, lol. (only bought two -- one for me and one for a colleague - but I had the opportunity for 4 total).

And a Series X within two hours of starting to look for that one. lol