• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My official Sony Dualshock PS3 controller has died and I'm looking for a good replacement. Now, I could just buy an official controller and call it a day. Except for one thing, the PS3 controller sucks ass. Sorry, but Sony really had their heads up their bums for too long in sticking with the same basic design for decades. They really struck gold with the PS5 controller. And I'm not talking about all those fancy features like adaptive triggers, I'm purely talking about the feel of the controller in your hand. It is...šŸ˜—

So, with my old PS3 controller is dead I was wondering if anyone knew of any good replacement controllers that have a similar feel to the PS5 controller or bulkier Xbox controllers? I know that technically a PS5 controller can work with the PS3, but it only works on some games. I tried it with MGS3 and it didn't work. Well, it worked navigating the menus of the MGS HD Collection, but once I selected MGS3 it stopped working. So, that's a no-go.

Any recommendations?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Might be worth looking into using newer controllers on the PS3. Things like Cronus Zen I think support cross-console functionality, and I'm pretty sure I saw something which now even supports gyro.

I've personally never had great luck with aftermarket ps3 controllers.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Do you like the PS4 controller?

My PS3 controller isnt acting right (drift issue - after having it for 10 + years lol)

I use a Dualshock 4 with a Mayflash MagicNS adapter - been playing my PS3 games with it for almost a year now - have had no issues.

Also lets you use controller on Switch if you want

^ Actually it looks like you can use a PS5 controller with it too.

Supports PS5 Controller and Xbox Series X Controller (NOT support XSX Controller wireless connection,only wired connection now),Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2! Wirelessly Bluetooth connect your PS4, PS3, Switch Pro, Switch Joy-Con, Wii U Pro, Wii Remote, and Xbox One S Bluetooth controllers to your Switch, PS3, NEOGEO mini, PS Classic or PC system

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Do you like the PS4 controller?

My PS3 controller isnt acting right (drift issue - after having it for 10 + years lol)

I use a Dualshock 4 with a Mayflash MagicNS adapter - been playing my PS3 games with it for almost a year now - have had no issues.

Hmm, I'm not opposed to the PS4 controller. But, I heard this adapters PS5 functionality isn't all that great, like rumble doesn't work. Will have to research.

I wish it was that easy...Official controllers are impossible to find anymore and have been for years.

I have the same question as OP though, been looking for a good replacement for years.

I thought I saw some on Amazon? Damn, even the crap original controller is hard to find.

Sep 23, 2018
I prefer asymmetric layout a la Xbox and still play on PS3, mostly with an "Afterglow wireless" controller as my preference over the DS3- GAME Uk used to sell them for about Ā£15 or thereabouts.
I found this one but you need the little dongle to work:

www.ebay.co.uk

Afterglow Clear PS3 Wireless Controller NO DONGLE - FAST SHIPPING | eBay

I am not the original owner of this item, and unless it is listed as NEW, it should be considered USED.

It lights up heinously in bright blue either none, some or all of the time depending on how you often you want to be distracted. It's garish but it's a nice controller, bit on the smaller side. if you like the layout and can live with having to occupy one of your PS3s USB ports.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Hmm, I'm not opposed to the PS4 controller. But, I heard this adapters PS5 functionality isn't all that great, like rumble doesn't work. Will have to research.

I thought I saw some on Amazon? Damn, even the crap original controller is hard to find.

Ahh - hopefully in the future it will be better.

I looked everywhere too for a PS3 controller but many were fake/duplicates even being sold on Amazon or Walmart.

I ended up going with this option since I had bought a 2nd DS4 for PC gaming - been using that for my PS3 needs.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh - hopefully in the future it will be better.

I looked everywhere too for a PS3 controller but many were fake/duplicates even being sold on Amazon or Walmart.

I ended up going with this option since I had bought a 2nd DS4 for PC gaming - been using that for my PS3 needs.

Does button pressure sensitivity work using DS4 with adapter? I did purchase a cheap aftermarket controller on Amazon hoping that'd be a simple fix, only to discover the buttons have no pressure sensitivity which makes aiming in MGS3 impossible.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Does button pressure sensitivity work using DS4 with adapter? I did purchase a cheap aftermarket controller on Amazon hoping that'd be a simple fix, only to discover the buttons have no pressure sensitivity which makes aiming in MGS3 impossible.

Hmmm...that is a good question, not sure to be honest with you.

I finished MGS3 way before my DS3 started acting crazy.

The games I have been mainly playing with my DS4 on PS3 have been mainly RPGs.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
The new one from retro fighters will support PS3. It should be available early next year, so I know that's a long time to wait. It will have the pressure sensitive buttons, but apparently no sixaxis support.

www.kickstarter.com

Update 4: PS3 Compatibility Confirmed Ā· PS1 & PS2 Wireless Playstation controller - Next Gen

Hello everyone! Another quick update, first we wanted to say that we will be starting production this month, getting all the necessary components built, etc. We will continue to update on the production process. Secondly we also wanted to share with you that the PS Wireless Gamepad will also...

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Might be worth looking into using newer controllers on the PS3. Things like Cronus Zen I think support cross-console functionality, and I'm pretty sure I saw something which now even supports gyro.

I've personally never had great luck with aftermarket ps3 controllers.

Yeah, but I'm not looking to spend $120 for the adapter then like $70 for another PS5 or XSX controller. And all that for a system I barely use.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Yeah, but I'm not looking to spend $120 for the adapter then like $70 for another PS5 or XSX controller. And all that for a system I barely use.

You might also check out PS3XPAD, but that requires cfw. I believe that will let you plug and play with a DS4, with shortcuts for emulated pressure sensitivity and sixaxis natively. Most links for it I'm pretty sure I can't share here idk.

Link83

Dec 12, 2017

Do you know if the MagicNS allows Home/PS button functionality on the PS3? Can the PS3 be awoken from standby using the DualShock 4's Home/PS button?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Do you know if the MagicNS allows Home/PS button functionality on the PS3? Can the PS3 be awoken from standby using the DualShock 4's Home/PS button?

Yes.

The DS4 alone works on the PS3 but the home button doesnt work but with the MagicNS - it allows you to use the home/PS button to open up the XMB menu which was a godsend because prior to the MagicNS, I had to manually get up and power off the PS3 lol.

Dont know about the waking up standby cause I never do sleep/standby on any of my consoles - I always turn it off completely.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I'm also wanting to use a DS4 on a PS3. So there seems to be three main adapters:
Brook Wingman XE
CronusMax/Cronus Zen
Mayflash Magic-NS

Do any of these do all of the following using a DS4?
- Turn the PS3 on
- Support gyro
- Support rumble

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
WHAT??!!?

I swear MGS3 has the worst fucking controls.
You know what the worst part is? MGS3 is on PS Now, but because the PS4/5 controllers don't have analog face buttons, the game is partially broken. I think the same is true for MGS2, though I believe it doesn't rely on the analog buttons for as important functions compared to MGS3.

Both games are available on Xbox with revised control schemes that make them fully playable without analog buttons, which makes it feel even more egregious that the PS Now versions are broken.

I'm also wanting to use a DS4 on a PS3. So there seems to be three main adapters:
Brook Wingman XE
CronusMax/Cronus Zen
Mayflash Magic-NS

Do any of these do all of the following using a DS4?
- Turn the PS3 on
- Support gyro
- Support rumble

I bought the Brook Wingman XE recently and I'm happy with it. I got it to use with my PS3 so that I can extend the life of my DualShock 3 by only using it on games that need the analog/pressure-sensitive buttons. It supports gyro and rumble. (I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I went with the Brook over MayFlash because I don't believe the latter supports rumble over Bluetooth, only via a wired connection.)

I don't think any of these adapters can allow your controller to turn on the PS3. I believe that's because there isn't power going through the USB ports to keep the Bluetooth connection active while the console is off.

Last edited:

dose

Oct 29, 2017
You know what the worst part is? MGS3 is on PS Now, but because the PS4/5 controllers don't have analog face buttons, the game is partially broken. I believe the same is true for MGS2, though I believe it doesn't rely on the analog buttons for as important functions compared to MGS3.

Both games are available on Xbox with revised control schemes that make them fully playable without analog buttons, which makes it feel even more egregious that the PS Now versions are broken.

I bought the Brook Wingman XE recently and I'm happy with it. I got it to use with my PS3 so that I can extend the life of my DualShock by only using it on games that need the analog/pressure-sensitive buttons. It supports gyro and rumble. (I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I went with the Brook over MayFlash because I don't believe the latter supports rumble over Bluetooth, only via a wired connection.)

I don't think any of these adapters can allow your controller to turn on the PS3. I believe that's because there isn't power going through the USB ports to keep the Bluetooth connection active while the console is off.
I wasn't aware of the USB thing, thanks for the advice, very useful :)