• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I didn't have much experience with laboratory work before this, but I've spent most of my adult life working jobs on my feet so that's not the issue. I'm now working inside fume hoods constantly and I think the frequent exertion of my upper body strength while leaning and bending forward is causing me a ton of lower back pain. My co-workers say I'll get used to it but I'm in my fifth week on the job and the back pain is just getting more frequent during my shifts and flares up earlier on in the day instead of just in the latter half of the shift.

Anyone have any insight on this? Exercises or stretches I can do to alleviate this? Is it worth trying to acclimate to or do I risk injuring myself? I'm 32 BTW.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Is it private or federal or state? They probably have an ergonomics person that you should talk to or be directed to asap. I wouldn't say thats normal or acceptable.

Also am I reading that right you're IN the fume hood? Normally you can just stand up straight and only move your arms around under the slider, not bending your whole upper body in there. But I might just be reading that wrong lol

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Can you find a new job? I would start looking elsewhere ASAP if it were me.

If you really want to stick with it I'd talk to your doctor, I'm guessing you might need some type of physio/exercise routine to improve your core strength (and maybe posture if possible). That said I wouldn't even bother sticking around.. I'd be looking to leave right away personally.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it private or federal or state? They probably have an ergonomics person that you should talk to or be directed to asap. I wouldn't say thats normal or acceptable.

Also am I reading that right you're IN the fume hood? Normally you can just stand up straight and only move your arms around under the slider, not bending your whole upper body in there. But I might just be reading that wrong lol

I'm guessing op is tall, so they have to bend at the waist in order to get their arms level with the hood?

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
The long term solution is to find the right kinds of exercise. Stretches or even those back braces you can get on amazon might help in the short term. My mom worked in a lab and it's been a major source of issues with her feet.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't have to bend over or get back pain, so definitely contact someone about ergonomics. The biggest risk is usually a repetitive stress/strain injury in the wrists.