• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but I have an Apple Watch S4, and got a one month trial to Apple Fitness+ when it debuted. If I buy an Apple Watch S6 now, will I get to also take advantage of the 3 month Fitness+ trial they advertise? Or is that a "new customers only" type thing?
I think it stacks. I ended up with 7 months free. Cause the offer wasn't originally working and I spoke to someone from support who gave me a code for 4 months, and then the notification about the 3 months free wouldn't disappear, clicked on it and got another 3 months stacked on top.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Verge did a two month review of fitness+

As a Peloton user (both the bike and fitness classes), I took the free month to try out some Fitness+ classes and see if it was worth subbing to. I love Peloton for spinning, but was open to the idea of using Fitness+ for other types of exercise since the cost is relatively low.

Overall I found Fitness+ to be pretty solid. It's a great foundation for the service, and as mentioned the value is so good that for the vast majority of people who really want to commit to exercising at home, this will cover your bases. I think the Apple Watch integration is fine but pretty superfluous. Having your heart rate visible is a great functional benefit, but otherwise stuff like closing rings and calorie counts don't really add to the workout so much as they add to the Apple lifestyle. If you care about closing your rings then it's a nice touch, but it itself isn't really an added benefit over other services. All that stuff has always been on your watch, just now it's on your TV. I also really liked that each exercise would show other people doing easier/harder variations. This is a super smart move that makes it a more accessible experience for newcomers.

On the flip side, I think it still feels a bit early and lacking in features compared to Peloton. It's not necessarily fair to compare a brand new service to something that's had years to grow and mature, but also it's Apple and they could have launched with every feature under the sun if they really tried hard enough. I wish there was more variation in workout types and lengths (every core exercise seems to be 10 minutes?), especially offering longer workouts for things like spin. I also wish there was more variety in music. Apple offers really broad categories like upbeat anthems/recent hits/hip-hop/classic rock/etc, while Peloton offers more focused themes like 80s pop/70s rock/New Wave/2000s pop punk/etc, plus a large selection of specific artist classes. I also wish AF+ had more camera angles for exercises, especially from the side. It's not always easy to gauge if you're doing a move correctly when you're looking at a person from the front. Overall, AF+ could stand to use a bit more technical language. Their tone and communication errs a bit too much on the hippy-dippy lifestyle side of things, which is fine, but a better balance of language that makes people aware of their body and how to exercise correctly would benefit the workout.

Overall AF+ felt totally fine. If you have Apple One at the top tier and treat F+ as a freebie, sure why not. But if you're looking to specifically spend ~$12 a month to subscribe to a fitness service and the convenience and mild savings from Apple One don't matter, I think the Peloton digital subscription is better in almost every way. Even if you don't have the Peloton bike, for like $12 a month you get access to their entire class library, which means more instructors, more music, more exercise types and class lengths, and a more robust feature set. You just need to look down at your Watch to see your rings close, which whatever.

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
As a Peloton user (both the bike and fitness classes), I took the free month to try out some Fitness+ classes and see if it was worth subbing to. I love Peloton for spinning, but was open to the idea of using Fitness+ for other types of exercise since the cost is relatively low.

Overall I found Fitness+ to be pretty solid. It's a great foundation for the service, and as mentioned the value is so good that for the vast majority of people who really want to commit to exercising at home, this will cover your bases. I think the Apple Watch integration is fine but pretty superfluous. Having your heart rate visible is a great functional benefit, but otherwise stuff like closing rings and calorie counts don't really add to the workout so much as they add to the Apple lifestyle. If you care about closing your rings then it's a nice touch, but it itself isn't really an added benefit over other services. All that stuff has always been on your watch, just now it's on your TV. I also really liked that each exercise would show other people doing easier/harder variations. This is a super smart move that makes it a more accessible experience for newcomers.

On the flip side, I think it still feels a bit early and lacking in features compared to Peloton. It's not necessarily fair to compare a brand new service to something that's had years to grow and mature, but also it's Apple and they could have launched with every feature under the sun if they really tried hard enough. I wish there was more variation in workout types and lengths (every core exercise seems to be 10 minutes?), especially offering longer workouts for things like spin. I also wish there was more variety in music. Apple offers really broad categories like upbeat anthems/recent hits/hip-hop/classic rock/etc, while Peloton offers more focused themes like 80s pop/70s rock/New Wave/2000s pop punk/etc, plus a large selection of specific artist classes. I also wish AF+ had more camera angles for exercises, especially from the side. It's not always easy to gauge if you're doing a move correctly when you're looking at a person from the front. Overall, AF+ could stand to use a bit more technical language. Their tone and communication errs a bit too much on the hippy-dippy lifestyle side of things, which is fine, but a better balance of technical language would benefit the workout.

Overall AF+ felt totally fine. If you have Apple One at the top tier and it just comes with F+, sure why not. But if you're looking to specifically subscribe to a fitness service and the convenience and mild savings from Apple One don't matter, I think the Peloton digital subscription is better in almost every way. Even if you don't have the Peloton bike, for like $12 a month you get access to their entire class library, which means more instructors, more music, more exercise types and class lengths, and a more robust feature set.

I have AF+ with the Apple One bundle and I have never used it lol. I do Peloton bike workouts every morning 6 days a week. I do 30min or 45 min bike rides with a specific instructor and usually listening to a specific kind of music. I don't have a Peloton bike either, I have another bike, and I use the Peloton App on my Apple TV. I have only taken the same class a handful of times. I like that the Peloton instructors tell you what resistance level to be at on your bike (I can translate to my bike easily). On AF+ I would only have like a week worth of workouts still if I restricted myself to one type of music and one instructor.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have AF+ with the Apple One bundle and I have never used it lol. I do Peloton bike workouts every morning 6 days a week. I do 30min or 45 min bike rides with a specific instructor and usually listening to a specific kind of music. I don't have a Peloton bike either, I have another bike, and I use the Peloton App on my Apple TV. I have only taken the same class a handful of times. I like that the Peloton instructors tell you what resistance level to be at on your bike (I can translate to my bike easily). On AF+ I would only have like a week worth of workouts still if I restricted myself to one type of music and one instructor.
Haha that's true. Part of that is just Apple needing to build a larger library, but you're right that Peloton does have like 2-3X the instructors that Apple does, so you're more likely to find someone who suits your specific tastes.

Not to get too far off topic, but out of curiosity which Peloton instructor do you enjoy?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, that might actually solve the issue! Thanks so much!
It was happening to me. I have a work MBP, tethered to a monitor right next to my home machine, an iMac. Boy was it annoying lol.

The feature is great if you don't use tons of Apple products lying around very closely lol.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to 3D model my dog with Polycam

Sjcp3X6.jpg

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017

On the flip side, I think it still feels a bit early and lacking in features compared to Peloton. It's not necessarily fair to compare a brand new service to something that's had years to grow and mature, but also it's Apple and they could have launched with every feature under the sun if they really tried hard enough. I wish there was more variation in workout types and lengths (every core exercise seems to be 10 minutes?), especially offering longer workouts for things like spin. I also wish there was more variety in music. Apple offers really broad categories like upbeat anthems/recent hits/hip-hop/classic rock/etc, while Peloton offers more focused themes like 80s pop/70s rock/New Wave/2000s pop punk/etc, plus a large selection of specific artist classes. I also wish AF+ had more camera angles for exercises, especially from the side. It's not always easy to gauge if you're doing a move correctly when you're looking at a person from the front. Overall, AF+ could stand to use a bit more technical language. Their tone and communication errs a bit too much on the hippy-dippy lifestyle side of things, which is fine, but a better balance of language that makes people aware of their body and how to exercise correctly would benefit the workout.

Overall AF+ felt totally fine. If you have Apple One at the top tier and treat F+ as a freebie, sure why not. But if you're looking to specifically spend ~$12 a month to subscribe to a fitness service and the convenience and mild savings from Apple One don't matter, I think the Peloton digital subscription is better in almost every way. Even if you don't have the Peloton bike, for like $12 a month you get access to their entire class library, which means more instructors, more music, more exercise types and class lengths, and a more robust feature set. You just need to look down at your Watch to see your rings close, which whatever.
I agree with a lot of this. I'm loving it as a relative newcomer to working out regularly, and I do have the big Apple One so I'm already paying for it.

It definitely needs more music variety and a higher quantity of classes. I feel fortunate that I have actually enjoyed working out to the vast majority of the music offered in Fitness+ (have not tried country and probably won't), but I imagine there are people with more specific tastes that might not find much they like.
I actually have found the Apple instructors' descriptions of intensities to be very easy to translate to my non-pelaton bike. They use easy, moderate, hard, and all-out with additional observations about how you should be feeling during different segments of the rides. I think you've obviously found something that works well for you (Pelaton), but yeah I do think Apple does a decent job of that part too.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I have found Fitness+ very worthwhile. I used the free trial, and then kept going with it. They need a larger library, more lengths for classes, (10/20/30/45 isn't diverse enough), and they need much, much better filters (ones that focus on the exercise, and not on the god damn music). The library is small enough that I've had to circle back to the beginning and go through them all again for core, and 10 mins only for core isn't enough.

That said, I do like the music integration (though the trainers early videos where they talk more about the music, and sing sometimes... no thanks), I love the watch integration, I enjoy the burn bar for HIIT, and I'm a fan of the majority of the trainers, so I'll definitely keep going with it. There's room for a lot of improvement, but for only being a few months old I think it's a pretty stellar effort, and I expect big things going forward from Apple.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The AirPods on Amazon went down by $10, do you guys think that it means that the new ones might be announced this month ?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Haha that's true. Part of that is just Apple needing to build a larger library, but you're right that Peloton does have like 2-3X the instructors that Apple does, so you're more likely to find someone who suits your specific tastes.

Not to get too far off topic, but out of curiosity which Peloton instructor do you enjoy?

I like to Cycle while listening to EDM music and House music. All the Peloton instructors are good IMO. But only a few do regular EDM and House music rides.

I actually have found the Apple instructors' descriptions of intensities to be very easy to translate to my non-pelaton bike. They use easy, moderate, hard, and all-out with additional observations about how you should be feeling during different segments of the rides. I think you've obviously found something that works well for you (Pelaton), but yeah I do think Apple does a decent job of that part too.

Thanks! Maybe I will give them a try... Are any of the music categories on Apple Fitness Plus cycling similar to EDM music?

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The AirPods on Amazon went down by $10, do you guys think that it means that the new ones might be announced this month ?
Definitely wait.

buyersguide.macrumors.com

MacRumors Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy iPhone, Mac, iPad

This page provides a product summary for each Apple model. The intent is to provide our best recommendations regarding current product cycles, and to provide a summary of currently available rumors for each model. This page is based on rumors and speculation and we provide no guarantee to its...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Maybe I will give them a try... Are any of the music categories on Apple Fitness Plus cycling similar to EDM music?
One of the genres is "Pure Dance", which is probably what you're looking for. But I've noticed that some of the "Upbeat Anthems" and "Latest Hits" workouts often have some electronic music too.

I'm with you and definitely prefer EDM/house for cycling.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Kuo says Apple is sticking with Lightening in the iPhone for the foreseeable future, and iPhone is not ready to go port-less. The USB-C iPhone dream is dead.

Supposedly USB-C is less waterproof than lightening.

I'm sure they remember all too well the unbelievable backlash when going from 30-pin to Lightning. I still had people bring it up 7-8 years later like it left them with PTSD.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Kuo says Apple is sticking with Lightening in the iPhone for the foreseeable future, and iPhone is not ready to go port-less. The USB-C iPhone dream is dead.

Supposedly USB-C is less waterproof than lightening.

As long as the 13 doesn't go "port free" as was rumored a year ago i'm fine.
I'm super excited for the 13 Pro. Having skipped the 12 Pro because my current phone (I'm on an XS) is still performing wonderfully and taking amazing photos, the 12 Pro felt like too little of an upgrade. But dat 120hz is going to feel so good.

If they had removed any kind of plug on the 13 Pro, i'd have to opt for a 12 Pro since my car only supports wired CarPlay, which is very much an integral feature for me.

I'm sure they remember all too well the unbelievable backlash when going from 30-pin to Lightning. I still had people bring it up 7-8 years later like it left them with PTSD.
not as bad as people who keep nagging them about that one U2 album they added to everyone's library

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Fully wireless phone sounds like a wasteful nightmare, so yeah, glad we're sticking with wires for now. USB-C would be nice, but Lightning is perfectly fine by me too.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Fully wireless just means "different port" i.e. smart connector on the back. People need to stop losing their shit over this, tbh.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Fully wireless just means "different port" i.e. smart connector on the back. People need to stop losing their shit over this, tbh.

[citation needed]

I'm not losing my shit over anything, but i'm at the same time not gonna take "X just means Y" as gospel when neither X nor Y has been confirmed 😉

Replacing Lightning with yet another proprietary, non standard connector is going to go against pretty much everything Apple has communicated in the last few years vis-a-vis reduction of electronic waste.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Not as bad as people who keep nagging them about that one U2 album they added to everyone's library.

This shit was — and still is — indefensible!

If they gave everybody a choice (to own it), then nobody would have grumbled.

Whereas the 30-pin to lightning was fine in comparison.

Quite happy carrying on with using lightning cable until Apple perfect a portless/wireless method ... 😊

www.macrumors.com

Prosser: iPhone 12 MagSafe Battery Pack to Feature Reverse Charging

Apple is working on MagSafe-compatible battery packs that will be compatible with the iPhone 12 models, and leaker Jon Prosser today said on the...

Anybody else thinking of buying a MagSafe battery pack?

Seeing as I own a 12 mini, it would be great for weekend breaks ... 🏨

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This shit was — and still is — indefensible!

If they gave everybody a choice (to own it), then nobody would have grumbled.

Whereas the 30-pin to lightning was fine in comparison.

Quite happy carrying on with using lightning cable until Apple perfect a portless/wireless method ... 😊

www.macrumors.com

Prosser: iPhone 12 MagSafe Battery Pack to Feature Reverse Charging

Apple is working on MagSafe-compatible battery packs that will be compatible with the iPhone 12 models, and leaker Jon Prosser today said on the...

Anybody else thinking of buying a MagSafe battery pack?

Seeing as I own a 12 mini, it would be great for weekend breaks ... 🏨

I think a magsafe battery pack (that might even offer reverse charging) is a decent idea.

To me, a Battery pack should either be small and convenient or really chonky and hold a lot of power.
I own a 20.000 mAh Anker and i love it, but i could see myself having a magsafe for these "i have no bag to bring the brick one, but i need my phone's battery to last longer".

My only issue with the magsafe pack is that it might be able to charge your AirPods, but wouldn't charge your AppleWatch, right?

Apple should just make the Series 7 be able to charge via Qi, if you ask me ...

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bugs me about the port situation is the lack of consistency across the devices I own.

Lightning:
iPhone
AirPods 2
AirPods Max
Magic Keyboard
Magic Trackpad
AirPods Pro

USB-C:
iPad Air 4
MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird they are still using Lightning for Mac accessories. Makes no sense

But that's mostly because the keyboard / trackpad haven't really seen any updates / redesigns. I'd be shocked if they required Lightning cables going forward.

Meanwhile, Lightning still seems to be the "charge your mobile devices" connector, which is the reasoning behind the AirPods family (as well as Beats headphones) using lightning.

We'll just have to wait and see where Apple's gonna go with the next iPhone (or the one after that) and whether or no they're going to introduce this year's MagSafe to more devices.
It's rather silly to have MagSafe be exclusive to the iPhone, USB-C and the Smart Connector (mostly) exclusive to the iPad, the watch being entirely its own thing, and Lightning for most other devices. They need some consolidation.

I can't imagine using a watch that hasn't an always on display.

My bigger issue would be the fact that the SE is still the Series 3 design, while the Series 5 has the - imho way superior / prettier - Series 4 design.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But that's mostly because the keyboard / trackpad haven't really seen any updates / redesigns. I'd be shocked if they required Lightning cables going forward.

Meanwhile, Lightning still seems to be the "charge your mobile devices" connector, which is the reasoning behind the AirPods family (as well as Beats headphones) using lightning.

We'll just have to wait and see where Apple's gonna go with the next iPhone (or the one after that) and whether or no they're going to introduce this year's MagSafe to more devices.
It's rather silly to have MagSafe be exclusive to the iPhone, USB-C and the Smart Connector (mostly) exclusive to the iPad, the watch being entirely its own thing, and Lightning for most other devices. They need some consolidation.

My bigger issue would be the fact that the SE is still the Series 3 design, while the Series 5 has the - imho way superior / prettier - Series 4 design.

This is no excuse, they have to change the stupid port then. The first USB-C Macbook released 2015, correct? It's 2021 and they still sell you a trackpad, mice and keyboard with a USB-A to Lightning cable. This is just ridiculous. Especially considering what these things cost

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This is no excuse, they have to change the stupid port then. The first USB-C Macbook released 2015, correct? It's 2021 and they still sell you a trackpad, mice and keyboard with a USB-A to Lightning cable. This is just ridiculous. Especially considering what these things cost
Of course it's no excuse, but Tim Apple ain't changing a single thing in his finely tuned supply and production chain until he has to (i.e. when there's an actual redesign)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Bundling in a USB-C to lighting cable with the AirPod Pros was such a weird decision.

Well, that's where their consolidation efforts are actually showing progress. They're at least phasing out USB-A -> Lighnting in favour of USB-C on the charger side, right? cmiiw on this.

Which is, ironically, the kind of change that solves no problems while also creating issues for folks who have USB-A ports all throughout their house ...

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
So I have a Mac mini m1 and everytime I restart it my Apple magic keyboard and Bluetooth mouse doesn't work. most of times I can just plug in the keyboard to the usb c port and use it but sometimes it doesnt work

some times I just really fucking hate Apple 😡

Pepiope

Oct 25, 2017
Is there still a delay for the M1 airs? Placed my order yesterday and I'm hoping it'll get sooner than 2-3 weeks.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there still a delay for the M1 airs? Placed my order yesterday and I'm hoping it'll get sooner than 2-3 weeks.

I ordered mine in mid-January and mine ended up arriving the very first day of the estimated shipping range, which was a 3-week wait. Didn't get it until early February.

They definitely seem to be a bit back-ordered. I think the only way I'm seeing people circumvent the wait is if they manage to find the base model available at other retailers like Best Buy.

Oct 25, 2017

If you need it right away and are in the US, B&H Photo has many model variations in stock right now. their free 2-day shipping on those is super fast as well. That's how I got my 16gb ram Mac mini super fast a month and a half ago.

Last edited: