• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
how do they offer that amount then say internal equity though? were they going to pay you less than the people alrwady there make?

I have no idea! I kind of think that they don't understand that the external market for employees is not the same as promoting internally and that it isn't the external job candidates fault if the company internal equity is misaligned (and why should the candidate care to begin with?).

My wife partly thinks this job thinks I was bluffing about interviewing elsewhere and is now trying to scramble now that I've said no.

From my point of view, if you send a lowball offer to a candidate I'm not entirely sure why you'd be surprised when that candidate tells you to take a hike.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
This job market is insane right now. I have interviews lined up with almost 20 companies but have been jerked around quite a bit. I'm interviewing at the VP level in HR and I had a CEO this weekend as me if I could hop on a call on Sunday at 5:30 to answer a few questions. It had to be some kind of bullshit test to see if I was willing to do it as the questions he asked were asinine. I hopped up because the money they are throwing around is insane (multiple hundreds of thousand) but still.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea! I kind of think that they don't understand that the external market for employees is not the same as promoting internally and that it isn't the external job candidates fault if the company internal equity is misaligned (and why should the candidate care to begin with?).

My wife partly thinks this job thinks I was bluffing about interviewing elsewhere and is now trying to scramble now that I've said no.

From my point of view, if you send a lowball offer to a candidate I'm not entirely sure why you'd be surprised when that candidate tells you to take a hike.

They can also pay less than their competitors. A lifetime ago, in a different career, I worked for a big pharma company that paid about 20% less than their main competitors and about 15% less than biotech startups. Their argument was that they didn't want their current employees to fall behind new/outside hires. Needless to say, most people stayed there until they got a promotion and moved on elsewhere or went back to school/med school. Obviously you had a few lifers but they were happy with that cadence.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Joining this thread as I'm now experiencing the job market we're in.

First off, apologies for those who have been unemployed and can't find work. It's disheartening that so many of you folks are getting ghosted or getting the runaround from potential employers exploiting the market. In less desperate times, those are the companies we would choose not to work for, for the way they appear to treat people; but nonetheless we need to earn a living and pay bills.

My situation is a bit different than many posting here as I'm job searching while currently gainfully employed and a high-performer at my current organization, but regardless I'm experiencing the pains of this job market. I'm an experienced IT leader and Agile practitioner (10+ years) and have demonstrated a clear career direction and progression. I'm looking for a culture change from my current organization because it has not, and seems will not, make the necessary changes to properly transform its way of working, something which I was hired to participate in.

Recently I applied to six jobs, of which at a minimum clearly met their requirements, or at best did so in the same industry I've been working in for the past six years. One of which was a title promotion (it's all the things I do now but my current org does not recognize my role as something worthy of that title). Two of which were internal referrals. One of those internal referrals they are still actively recruiting for but never notified me I was passed for consideration; the rest including the other internal referral I was rejected without even a screening interview.

Never in all of my career have I experienced this. Before I'd at least get an initial screening at the least, especially for the internal referrals. It's weird to see so many different experiences in this thread - either people are swatting away job offers like flies or can't get a single interview. Now to be fair, I've had to turn down many contract positions (from legit vendors, not the offshore data farmers who screengrab, match keywords and coldcall), because my situation is not one that I would want to move from full-time to contract at this time. If I did lose my job I feel fairly confident I'd be able to land a contract role quickly based on what I've seen.

So I wonder what gives with this market - is it largely geographical why people are seeing the most success?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
They can also pay less than their competitors. A lifetime ago, in a different career, I worked for a big pharma company that paid about 20% less than their main competitors and about 15% less than biotech startups. Their argument was that they didn't want their current employees to fall behind new/outside hires. Needless to say, most people stayed there until they got a promotion and moved on elsewhere or went back to school/med school. Obviously you had a few lifers but they were happy with that cadence.

I'm leaving a company that does this, so I fully get it!

I'm mainly confused why a company would tell someone who turned down a job offer (they had my range the entire time, which I re-iterated in every interview) that they lowballed them because of internal equity but would like to talk to them again.

1) Why should any prospective employee care about their internal equity when other companies can and do offer full market value?
2) Why would a prospective employee want a job at a company that lowballs them by THAT much, especially when that prospective employee was honest out of the gate that offers were coming from elsewhere. It's a baffling move that makes me never want to work for them because if they lowball on the initial offer, why would they ever treat you properly once you are internal.

I'm just baffled by the entire experience.

Joining this thread as I'm now experiencing the job market we're in.

First off, apologies for those who have been unemployed and can't find work. It's disheartening that so many of you folks are getting ghosted or getting the runaround from potential employers exploiting the market. In less desperate times, those are the companies we would choose not to work for, for the way they appear to treat people; but nonetheless we need to earn a living and pay bills.

My situation is a bit different than many posting here as I'm job searching while currently gainfully employed and a high-performer at my current organization, but regardless I'm experiencing the pains of this job market. I'm an experienced IT leader and Agile practitioner (10+ years) and have demonstrated a clear career direction and progression. I'm looking for a culture change from my current organization because it has not, and seems will not, make the necessary changes to properly transform its way of working, something which I was hired to participate in.

Recently I applied to six jobs, of which at a minimum clearly met their requirements, or at best did so in the same industry I've been working in for the past six years. One of which was a title promotion (it's all the things I do now but my current org does not recognize my role as something worthy of that title). Two of which were internal referrals. One of those internal referrals they are still actively recruiting for but never notified me I was passed for consideration; the rest including the other internal referral I was rejected without even a screening interview.

Never in all of my career have I experienced this. Before I'd at least get an initial screening at the least, especially for the internal referrals. It's weird to see so many different experiences in this thread - either people are swatting away job offers like flies or can't get a single interview. Now to be fair, I've had to turn down many contract positions (from legit vendors, not the offshore data farmers who screengrab, match keywords and coldcall), because my situation is not one that I would want to move from full-time to contract at this time. If I did lose my job I feel fairly confident I'd be able to land a contract role quickly based on what I've seen.

So I wonder what gives with this market - is it largely geographical why people are seeing the most success?

I have some general advice for anyone looking for a job that has done me well over the years, and here it is written below in case it might help you or anyone else:

I'll break down my strategy by parts since I may have gone overboard, but this worked for me the last two times I looked for a job - I found a job in about a month.

Part 1:

So before even job hunting, do yourself a favour and do market research about your position and any other positions you might be interested in. Going into interviews and saying "Well the Canadian market value of this position is about $90,000 - $95,000, where does your company fall in comparison to that?" is a great way of turning the salary expectation question on its head and putting the company on the backfoot of needing to justify why their rates are lower than market value, at market value or are higher.

For my job, I did this by averaging salaries at 10 companies in my sector within my province + 10 companies within my section in the country using Glassdoor. From there I made an average of the low-end salary and high-end salary for the position and determined that I'd be best placed if I was slightly below market average: in this case about $90k.

I also did similar calculations by looking at average salaries for my role on Neuvoo, Glassdoor (local), Payscale and Glassdoor (country wide) which gave me a lot of solid research on average salaries, etc.

This allowed me to go into interviews and use the line I mentioned above and it never took me out of contention for any role I did not want to be in contention for.

Part 2:

Update your LinkedIn with outcomes of your work, i.e. if you worked on a product that accounted for over $10 million in sales in 2020, mention that if you can and your role in making that product successful! Do that kind of analysis for your LinkedIn as a whole, not just showing your skills but how your skills transferred into measurable results.

Part 3:

Open your LinkedIn to recruiters and see what comes in over the next few weeks.

Part 4:

If you had stuff come in, follow up on what is interesting and abandon what is not. In this latest go-round, over 15 companies reached out to me via a recruiter, and I engaged with the ones that seemed really interesting. While this was happening, I was applying to maybe 2-3 jobs a week, things that were a little more outside the box but would have been an amazing opportunity.

If you are not getting offers through recruiters that you'd like and would like to apply to a bunch of jobs yourself:

Be mindful that job hunting is a numbers game in many ways. What's worked for me (twice now) is getting a free monthly trial of LinkedIn Premium and really hitting the ground running on looking at and applying to companies it thinks I'd be a good match for, if they were interesting. It's worked for me in the realm of marketing, no idea how well it'll work for others.

Helpful General Rules for Hunting:
- Always, Always, Always save the job posting as a PDF. Nothing worse than a company getting back to you and the position is erased from the internet.
- Make an excel file for your first interview that has general company info, who you are talking to, salary expectations, questions for them, company values, etc. Doesn't have to be lengthy, you just don't want to go scrambling for this info if they bring it up on the call.
- I also like to make a sheet prior to my first call that is the posting line by line with how my skills apply to that line item line by line. It works for me.
- As I move forward in the interview process, I make a new sheet with the next interviewer(s), any interesting comments, salary conversations, etc. Keeps everything in one centralized place.

I found that doing all of the above put me in a great mental space for each interview and gave me notes to reference, confidence in what I was talking about, etc.

My other biggest piece of advice is trust your gut if something feels wrong. I told two companies I no longer wanted to be in contention because the interviews and companies as a whole just felt off. I'm glad I did that in retrospect, since taking those two out of my interview rotation allowed be to really double down and focus on the other two, which led me to offers from both companies.

Any company that isn't getting back to you isn't respecting your time, move on to the next one.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
So I applied for this job, I've done two interviews (phone screen + real interview) and they reached out asking about my availability for a third 3 hour interview. I sent my times, and then I haven't heard from them in 2 days. Typically I've gotten a response same day. When do y'all think is an appropriate time to follow up
It is now a week since they reached out to me and is the Tuesday of the week they said they wanted to interview me in and still radio silence from them. Should I give up hope at this point?
I followed up on Friday to provide additional times that had been made free that weren't when I initially sent my availability to them and still nothing back

Woylie

May 9, 2018
It is now a week since they reached out to me and is the Tuesday of the week they said they wanted to interview me in and still radio silence from them. Should I give up hope at this point?

It's possible they went with another candidate, or maybe the hiring manager just got swamped and then had a vacation over Memorial Day.

I think you're fine to send (only) one follow-up email to check in and gently reiterate your interest in the position. If they've already moved on, no harm done, but if not, it may put you more at top of mind to get back to, as long as it's a polite, professional email and just one.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I kind of want to cry.
I had an interview 2 days ago @ Microsoft, overall the 3rd one in the hiring process.
The one before that was alright, not too bad but not perfect. In the latest one I've had a better dynamic with the interviewer but I absolutely sucked at the technical question, I gave a somewhat ok solution at the last minute (which was not 100% correct either) after a lot of hints given to me.

Well, needless to say I got the call now that they're not proceeding with me. It's very hard for me to get interviews at all, so the statistics are against me.
I previously failed to get hired by Wix at the before to last hiring process, same as with this one. These are the only 2 interviews I managed to get in the last couple of months (I sent probably 30+ applications).

This whole thing makes me feel so worthless and such a loser, it's painful.
If I get one more generic "thank you for your application but we decided to move with other candidates who are a better match for us" I'm gonna scream

As someone currently working at Microsoft, keep your head ups and see if the recruiter can get you other interviews. I interviewed with 3 different teams before getting.

One of the interviewers from the first batch told me to reach out to him and he referred me internally to a bunch of the listing. Also the recruiter I was working with also kept sending me resume to other teams.

I totally understand how you're feeling, but keep trying and study leetcode as much as you can.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible they went with another candidate, or maybe the hiring manager just got swamped and then had a vacation over Memorial Day.

I think you're fine to send (only) one follow-up email to check in and gently reiterate your interest in the position. If they've already moved on, no harm done, but if not, it may put you more at top of mind to get back to, as long as it's a polite, professional email and just one.
The woman I had my second interview with mentioned that the recruiter attached to me is leaving the company (she didn't say when but it sounded soon). So part of me is paranoid that she's already left and my stuff got lost in whatever handoff may have happened. I have the woman who interviewed me added on social media. She posted the job listing and welcomed any questions so I DM'd her before applying to ask a couple things. Would it be out of line to follow up with her there after a day or two and say I haven't heard anything and you mentioned the recruiter leaving so I just wanted to make sure everything was still good?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As someone currently working at Microsoft, keep your head ups and see if the recruiter can get you other interviews. I interviewed with 3 different teams before getting.

One of the interviewers from the first batch told me to reach out to him and he referred me internally to a bunch of the listing. Also the recruiter I was working with also kept sending me resume to other teams.

I totally understand how you're feeling, but keep trying and study leetcode as much as you can.
Hey, I appreciate your input.
I was only in contact with the recruiter twice - first time to set up the two interviews and the second time when she let me know I was rejected. I feel like contacting her again now after it's been 2 weeks since I was rejected seems kind of weird, but that's my personal feeling.
I'm alright now, that post I wrote was definitely fueled with a lot of emotions so it came off pretty extreme. I'm starting my exam period soon so I'm putting applications on hold anyway, I'll resume my job searching in a month or two and will study hard for anything I can come across.

Just a general question regarding MS's recruiting process (if you know about it) - what's the point of the double interview after the first stage of recruiting?
It seems like if you flunked either of them you have no chance of moving onto the next stage, but I might be wrong.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The woman I had my second interview with mentioned that the recruiter attached to me is leaving the company (she didn't say when but it sounded soon). So part of me is paranoid that she's already left and my stuff got lost in whatever handoff may have happened. I have the woman who interviewed me added on social media. She posted the job listing and welcomed any questions so I DM'd her before applying to ask a couple things. Would it be out of line to follow up with her there after a day or two and say I haven't heard anything and you mentioned the recruiter leaving so I just wanted to make sure everything was still good?

Definitely give it a shot. Whats the worst that can happen at this point? At least you'll know that you did everything to make it happen. And keep emailing the recruiter, even if that person is gone their stuff should get forwarded to someone else on the team.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Hey, I appreciate your input.
I was only in contact with the recruiter twice - first time to set up the two interviews and the second time when she let me know I was rejected. I feel like contacting her again now after it's been 2 weeks since I was rejected seems kind of weird, but that's my personal feeling.
I'm alright now, that post I wrote was definitely fueled with a lot of emotions so it came off pretty extreme. I'm starting my exam period soon so I'm putting applications on hold anyway, I'll resume my job searching in a month or two and will study hard for anything I can come across.

Just a general question regarding MS's recruiting process (if you know about it) - what's the point of the double interview after the first stage of recruiting?
It seems like if you flunked either of them you have no chance of moving onto the next stage, but I might be wrong.

Are you a new grad? Was different for me. I just had a 1 screening with like a senior dev. After that is the normal 4-5 1 hour 1 on 1 with each interviewers. But I had a lot of experiences before so my process was pretty straightforward. For new grads, it probably different.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Been hoping to get out of my current job for a long time; I've spent the last few years slowly crawling my way through a bunch of half-jobs and almost-theres, for the chance to eventually hit my dream job. I was kind of reconciled to giving up and going back into teaching, when suddenly, my dream job got posted this past weekend. I couldn't believe it. It's everything that I'm looking for and my background/experience fits the posting to the letter.

Sent out my resume and cover letter just a few minutes ago, spent all weekend and today revising it and making it killer. I don't want to psyche myself up too much, but landing this would be lifechanging for me, for many reasons. Wish me luck.

I'm on the third round with this, final interview is tomorrow. Send me your ki energies!

Aaah, turns out that wasn't the final interview - now I'm in the final round and I'm meeting with the big boss tomorrow. Two months and four rounds, yeesh! Feeling good but nervous.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I need some help, y'all.

I applied for this job back in late April. I took their assessment, did an asynchronous interview, and did a face-to-face Zoom interview. Three weeks ago, I was given a letter that said I've been moved to the "contingent offer phase" of the interview process, meaning I have an offer that is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. This letter states that the background checks usually take two weeks but can take longer depending upon the situation and that if there's a problem they will contact me otherwise they'll be in touch with pay details, start date, and schedule. The letter also said "Congratulations" about 3 times. It's been three weeks, and I haven't heard anything. I've logged into the background check service and see that they adjudicated the results (meets company standards) a week and five days ago. Basically, the background check is finished and everything is fine, but they haven't contacted me yet. I sent an email to the recruiter asking for an update two days ago, but she hasn't responded. Am I crazy for being worried? There's a lot riding on me getting this job, and I'm anxious to the point of being unable to focus on anything else. I have a track record of worrying way too much about things.

My wife thinks I'm worrying too much and they're probably just busy, but I'm starting to get this horrible feeling that I don't actually have this job.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need some help, y'all.

I applied for this job back in late April. I took their assessment, did an asynchronous interview, and did a face-to-face Zoom interview. Three weeks ago, I was given a letter that said I've been moved to the "contingent offer phase" of the interview process, meaning I have an offer that is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. This letter states that the background checks usually take two weeks but can take longer depending upon the situation and that if there's a problem they will contact me otherwise they'll be in touch with pay details, start date, and schedule. The letter also said "Congratulations" about 3 times. It's been three weeks, and I haven't heard anything. I've logged into the background check service and see that they adjudicated the results (meets company standards) a week and five days ago. Basically, the background check is finished and everything is fine, but they haven't contacted me yet. I sent an email to the recruiter asking for an update two days ago, but she hasn't responded. Am I crazy for being worried? There's a lot riding on me getting this job, and I'm anxious to the point of being unable to focus on anything else. I have a track record of worrying way too much about things.

My wife thinks I'm worrying too much and they're probably just busy, but I'm starting to get this horrible feeling that I don't actually have this job.

From personal experience I can say that everyone works slow as fuck in the hiring process, especially the HR department. And the normal departments that are hiring are too busy with the daily business.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
From personal experience I can say that everyone works slow as fuck in the hiring process, especially the HR department. And the normal departments that are hiring are too busy with the daily business.
So you think I'm worrying too much? I mean, they said the offer is contingent upon passing the background check and I passed the background check. Idk.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I'm the head of recruiting for a global software company and I can't believe how fucked up the recruiting process is at some companies right now. I'm actively interviewing with all of the big tech firms and the hoops they are putting me through are nuts. I have a 9 hour long interview with Amazon on Monday that starts at 11 am and ends at 8 pm. Facebook wasn't much better with 4 days of interviews each lasting 2+ hours.

Tip to all of you out there. If you find a job you like on LinkedIn, figure out who the hiring manager is and email them directly either through LinkedIn or their corporate email (if you can figure it out). If the HM has your resume and likes it, he will tell the recruiter to set up a phone screen.

Finally, if you are working with an in-house corporate recruiter (NOT AGENCY), do not piss them off by being rude. They can easily spike your resume and move on to the next candidate. If you are working with an agency, they only get paid if you get hired unless it's a retained search (rare for most jobs below the VP level).

Also, unless you have committed a crime in the past 7 years, don't stress on your background check too much. I've let DUIs pass for nondriving positions as well as other minor crimes if they are recent. Violence and theft obviously don't fly. If it's more than 7 years old, then it most likely won't show up. I still sweat my background checks even though I got a misdemeanor in 1997. It's only shown up once and I still got the job. To put this in context, I've worked with the likes of AT&T, IBM, Comcast, and Fresenius which are all huge global companies. None of them cared. The only company that may care is a financial company I have an offer from since they do fingerprint checks through the FBI.

If anyone needs help on how to network or job search, let me know. If I have time tomorrow, I will write a tip sheet for everyone here.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
~140 applications since Nov, probably 10 of them 'serious' attempts.

Got about 10% positive response rate to kick off interview processes.

Two of them I made it to like round 5 in the interview process. One rejected and withdrew from the other when the hiring manager came across as someone I would prefer not to work with.

Shit is tough, I'm grateful every god damn day that I had/have savings...my heart goes out to people actively searching for jobs with no income, savings or other financial safety net/support.

Hope I get a jobbo soon. Got a big interview coming up on Thursday, wish me luck y'all I think I need it.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm looking for a job, I can officially be part of this thread. I've been applying to a bunch of jobs and no luck. I get interviews from some of them but I can't get past the first round. I'll keep applying but I don't have much hope of getting a job soon.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have two final interviews this week. I am very stressed and haven't slept much. I am a SWE so been grinding LeetCode questions. Tomorrow, I am basically mocking out / practicing the behavioral portions. Wish me luck.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
So according to my wife (who works at the company I have that contingent offer for), the recruiter has gone on vacation and won't be back until June 21st. What am I supposed to do here?

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Did the technical test for a software engineer role a couple days ago. I know I did better on this one than the other technical test I took several weeks ago. But my solution to one of the questions could have been better so I think they'll probably reject me early this week. However it did feel good and encouraging to do better this time around.

Have two final interviews this week. I am very stressed and haven't slept much. I am a SWE so been grinding LeetCode questions. Tomorrow, I am basically mocking out / practicing the behavioral portions. Wish me luck.
No matter how many technical questions I seem to do, my mind just seems to blank during most interviews. It's so much harder for me to code while being watched and then it immediately mixes with impostor syndrome and self doubt for me. I'm still continuing to do the practice problems in the hope that I get over my interview issue.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any ressources available to give you an idea of what salaries look like in a specific region/industry?

I have an opportunity right now to potentially get a job but it's for a job I have never had before in a city all the way on the other side of Canada... So not only do I not know what the salary for that job should be normally, I know even less what it would be for someone living in that city where the cost of living is a lot higher than where I live.

It would be nice to have a bit of a an idea. Not expecting to find the exact salary for someone doing that specific job in that city but still, something vaguely related would be good to know.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any ressources available to give you an idea of what salaries look like in a specific region/industry?

I have an opportunity right now to potentially get a job but it's for a job I have never had before in a city all the way on the other side of Canada... So not only do I not know what the salary for that job should be normally, I know even less what it would be for someone living in that city where the cost of living is a lot higher than where I live.

It would be nice to have a bit of a an idea. Not expecting to find the exact salary for someone doing that specific job in that city but still, something vaguely related would be good to know.
Try GlassDoor: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/index.htm

Plus you can look up that specific company and see if previous employees have listed their salaries for the position you are trying for.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Try GlassDoor: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/index.htm

Plus you can look up that specific company and see if previous employees have listed their salaries for the position you are trying for.

Man Glassdoor fucking sucks haha.

Not only do I need to register to do anything on it but even when I tried to register I couldn't get through the process. It keeps saying there's an error at the "enter your salary" step of the process but I'm not seeing any errors anywhere.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did the technical test for a software engineer role a couple days ago. I know I did better on this one than the other technical test I took several weeks ago. But my solution to one of the questions could have been better so I think they'll probably reject me early this week. However it did feel good and encouraging to do better this time around.

No matter how many technical questions I seem to do, my mind just seems to blank during most interviews. It's so much harder for me to code while being watched and then it immediately mixes with impostor syndrome and self doubt for me. I'm still continuing to do the practice problems in the hope that I get over my interview issue.
Yup. Worst feeling ever, honestly. It's super frustrating because I know that I can do the job at any location but I get nervous at technical questions, no matter what.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sigh, back on the hunt, found a seasonal but 9-5 M-F that seemed entry level and I thought I did ok but got rejected the next day. Biggest issue for me is I need fixed hours or else I burn out(and during the day due to night blindness and some other health reasons). So I'm trying to get into accounting but also juggling some of the base classes too this summer(well accounting 2. I have some bookkeeping experience though).
Sigh

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Worst feeling ever, honestly. It's super frustrating because I know that I can do the job at any location but I get nervous at technical questions, no matter what.
I feel you. Its the same for me. There are a some people at different companies I've talked to and I feel like I can do the work they are telling me about but my brain gets stupid and I get nervous during the interview almost every single time.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
So according to my wife (who works at the company I have that contingent offer for), the recruiter has gone on vacation and won't be back until June 21st. What am I supposed to do here?

Wait, your wife works there? Who is providing coverage for the role during that period assuming it's a small company where there's only one recruiter? Otherwise, contact the other recruiter or their general HR email for an update. Usually recruiters put an OOO that tells you who to reach out to. Also, if it took her a while to get hired too then you just have to wait. Keep applying elsewhere in the meantime if you're that worried.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Wait, your wife works there? Who is providing coverage for the role during that period assuming it's a small company where there's only one recruiter? Otherwise, contact the other recruiter or their general HR email for an update. Usually recruiters put an OOO that tells you who to reach out to. Also, if it took her a while to get hired too then you just have to wait. Keep applying elsewhere in the meantime if you're that worried.
Yeah, she works there and can see the OOO message since she has access to internal chat and stuff like that. It's a huge company, and they're hiring for June and July training. My wife speculates that my background check didn't come in in time to make me eligible for the June class, so the recruiter just decided she'd reach out after her vacation when she starts hiring for the July training. I emailed the recruiter on Thursday evening before her vacation started, so I didn't receive her automatic OOO response. I guess my concern is that I've been ghosted, but I'm also afraid reaching out to the person who is mentioned in the OOO (which only my wife can see since I sent an email before the lady went on vacation) will make me look desperate (obviously I'm desperate). In this situation, would the recruiter hand off responsibilities to another person or just get back to it when she gets back from vacation? I feel like I'm rambling, so sorry if it's confusing.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, she works there and can see the OOO message since she has access to internal chat and stuff like that. It's a huge company, and they're hiring for June and July training. My wife speculates that my background check didn't come in in time to make me eligible for the June class, so the recruiter just decided she'd reach out after her vacation when she starts hiring for the July training. I emailed the recruiter on Thursday evening before her vacation started, so I didn't receive her automatic OOO response. I guess my concern is that I've been ghosted, but I'm also afraid reaching out to the person who is mentioned in the OOO (which only my wife can see since I sent an email before the lady went on vacation) will make me look desperate (obviously I'm desperate). In this situation, would the recruiter hand off responsibilities to another person or just get back to it when she gets back from vacation? I feel like I'm rambling, so sorry if it's confusing.

Depends on the company. Some will hand off responsibilities while on PTO. Going silent with candidates for such a long period seems like something they'd want to avoid. They're not going to check to see that you got the OOO email, just reach out to that person.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Been ghosted for the first time and it fucking sucks

The panel (of 4, the company's entire marketing department!) literally said "we'll be doing interviews throughout the week and will give you feedback at the end." but it's been just over 2 weeks now and... nothing.

It would be better if I wasn't still completely and utterly stuck, with my only hope being to either learn to drive (which is a massive pain right now) or (somehow) find a job that pays well enough for me to move (which I don't want to do for financial reasons anyway...). I've yet to have a single day this year where I haven't felt some anxiety over staying in a crappy retail job much, much longer than any university graduate should ever reasonably stay. It feels like my job prospects are getting worse and worse every day. I really, really hate it :(

Last edited:

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Been ghosted for the first time and it fucking sucks

The panel (of 4, the company's entire marketing department!) literally said "we'll be doing interviews throughout the week and will give you feedback at the end." but it's been just over 2 weeks now and... nothing.

It would be better if I wasn't still completely and utterly stuck, with my only hope being to either learn to drive or (somehow) find a job that pays well enough for me to move (which I don't want to do for financial reasons anyway...). I've yet to have a single day this year where I haven't felt some anxiety over staying in a crappy retail job much, much longer than any university graduate should ever reasonably stay. It feels like my job prospects are getting worse and worse every day. I really, really hate it :(

Why not learn how to drive?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why not learn how to drive?

I will be later this year; I even got a bunch of lessons as a gift. Problem is literally everywhere, including the place I have those lessons with, is fully booked for months to come; that's not to mention actually getting the practical and theory tests sorted. Unfortunately there's really nothing I can do about it right now.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've had enough of my current place, so I'm trying to get out before they make us come back full-time in a few months and I lose all this extra time to job search. I've got four interviews lined up for this week. Two for essentially what I do now, and two to try to make the jump to project management. Had my first one today for a non-project manager role and I think it went ok overall. My only concern was when they asked me why I thought I would be a good fit for the role and I word-salad'd the fuck out of the answer because I blanked on the specifics and was trying to fumble my way back to the job listing to form a better answer. Hopefully the rest of what I talked about makes up for that.

Second interview is later today, so hopefully it goes a bit better.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017

Try https://www.levels.fyi

Edit: Sorry, this is very tech-focused and may not be useful at all to you

Last edited:

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Currently banging my head against a wall trying to find an entry level engineering position (mechanical engineering). Have sent out close to 30 applications and have heard nothing but rejections or pure silence save for a single company close to where I live. An HR rep said they were reviewing my resume so hopefully they call me in for an interview...

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Boy oh boy did I walk into a job interview today I was not prepared for. Literally ended the call, ensured my camera turned off and just put my head on the desk.
I am not qualified for that position at all lmao

Ugh.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the head of recruiting for a global software company and I can't believe how fucked up the recruiting process is at some companies right now. I'm actively interviewing with all of the big tech firms and the hoops they are putting me through are nuts. I have a 9 hour long interview with Amazon on Monday that starts at 11 am and ends at 8 pm. Facebook wasn't much better with 4 days of interviews each lasting 2+ hours.

Tip to all of you out there. If you find a job you like on LinkedIn, figure out who the hiring manager is and email them directly either through LinkedIn or their corporate email (if you can figure it out). If the HM has your resume and likes it, he will tell the recruiter to set up a phone screen.

Finally, if you are working with an in-house corporate recruiter (NOT AGENCY), do not piss them off by being rude. They can easily spike your resume and move on to the next candidate. If you are working with an agency, they only get paid if you get hired unless it's a retained search (rare for most jobs below the VP level).

Also, unless you have committed a crime in the past 7 years, don't stress on your background check too much. I've let DUIs pass for nondriving positions as well as other minor crimes if they are recent. Violence and theft obviously don't fly. If it's more than 7 years old, then it most likely won't show up. I still sweat my background checks even though I got a misdemeanor in 1997. It's only shown up once and I still got the job. To put this in context, I've worked with the likes of AT&T, IBM, Comcast, and Fresenius which are all huge global companies. None of them cared. The only company that may care is a financial company I have an offer from since they do fingerprint checks through the FBI.

If anyone needs help on how to network or job search, let me know. If I have time tomorrow, I will write a tip sheet for everyone here.

I'm not actively looking for work right now but I appreciate the input dude. Can I just ask (and I assume you're in the US so it might be different) but I'm in the UK and got fired from a job ~3 years ago (mostly due to Twitter addiction). Most places ask for references from the last 3 years, but some people ask for 5 years. I've been in my current job for 2 years in September (the first 6 months of which was temporary) and I'm kind of thinking I'll get 3 years under my belt here before I consider moving on. I've learnt I have to be upfront about this because they'll find out anyway, but if someone were to come to you with a good reference for the last 3 years but having been fired prior to that, would that be a big black mark on their record?

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
The pharma site I work at was supposed to close at the end of 2019 but the closing date has been extended again till the end of next year. Pleased it gives me more time to save money and find work elsewhere. More miffed that everyone on site is being given 7k to stay on whilst the mugs who work as contractors like me get nothing. Don't know why I bothered fighting for a pay rise in April that resulted in a whopping 14p/hr extra.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

I would love that. I'm getting a little tired of applying to jobs and just getting ghosted or immediately receiving the "thank you, but no" email like I have for the past 3 years of searching.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Yeah it's very weird, I work for a rather large fortune 500 company and we are hiring like wildfire. I refer my friends looking for jobs and it seems absolutely random who even gets a first round interview and who gets shadow rejected. Thought my name was on some blocklist but a friend recently got a job with my referral... So weird.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I mentioned in an earlier post that I would give tips on doing a job search. I have 20 years of talent acquisition experience and just went through a job search myself. I ended up getting 4 offers by following the tips below.

Tip sheet for everyone:
  • Pay to have your resume professionally done. I paid $500 to get mine done and it made a world of difference. Why didn't I do my own? Because I know I'm not the world's best writer and sometimes it's hard to brag about yourself
  • Network with every person you know. Professional, personal, etc. Join networking groups. I got at least 4 interviews from companies due to network. In fact, I've gotten most of my jobs based off who I know. The same goes for most of the candidates we hired. On average, referrals make up about 30% of all hires at most companies.
  • If you can figure out who the recruiter or hiring manager is, email them directly or send them a LinkedIn message. Oftentimes, LinkedIn will share who posted the job which can help you track down the right person
  • Practice interviewing. Look up the STAR method of behavioral interviewing. The tips there will help you tremendously
  • Send thank-you notes to everyone you speak with
  • Give it about 72-96 hours after you send your thank-you note to ask for feedback
  • You can email the recruiter once a week for about 3 weeks before you are going to annoy them
  • If after 3 weeks you don't have feedback, email the hiring manager directly
  • Never take the first offer. I got on average $10K more when I asked for a counteroffer
  • At a certain level, everything is negotiable. Base, bonus, PTO, etc. I was able to get an extra week of PTO from two of the companies I interviewed with
  • Don't lose your cool with the recruiter. All they want to do is close the job so they can go on to the next one. The only thing they can do is help you after you are submitted to the hiring manager.
  • It's a numbers game. I applied to over 100 jobs and interviewed with at least 12 companies. Even after you start to interview with companies, keep on applying. You never know what is going to happen
  • If you got declined for a job, even though you thought you did great, don't take it to heart. It's not about you at all.
  • Don't lie on your resume when it comes to job dates. Job dates get checked by most major background check firms (Sterling, HireRight, etc.)
  • You can lie about salary or responsibilities (not titles as this may get checked). Always inflate your salary by about 10% when they ask you what you are looking for. If in the states they ask you what you are making, don't answer. Hell, in some states that's illegal. Just give them a range of what you are looking for. For example, If I was making $150K at my previous job wiith a 10% bonus, I would tell my recruiter that I am looking to make at least $165K and a 20% bonus.
  • DONT TAKE THE FIRST OFFER. Always counter. If they offer you $100K, polietly tell them you would feel more comfortable at $110K. They will most likely come back and either match it or come close. Just be cool about it.

DM me for more tips if you like.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Currently banging my head against a wall trying to find an entry level engineering position (mechanical engineering). Have sent out close to 30 applications and have heard nothing but rejections or pure silence save for a single company close to where I live. An HR rep said they were reviewing my resume so hopefully they call me in for an interview...

Well I've got an interview set up Friday over Microsoft Teams. It's my first ever job interview and also happens to be for a position I'm way underqualified for (they wanted 5 years experience, I have 1 summer internship and some tangentially related class projects). Anyone have any tips to combat nerves and interview well?

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Well I've got an interview set up Friday over Microsoft Teams. It's my first ever job interview and also happens to be for a position I'm way underqualified for (they wanted 5 years experience, I have 1 summer internship and some tangentially related class projects). Anyone have any tips to combat nerves and interview well?
Recently went through the process myself for an electrical engineering position. They may request to do a technical screen to make sure you know what you're talking about.

obviously wear something professional and make sure you're in a quiet area with a plain / modest background (I was in my kitchen). Make eye contact and even if you aren't confident, pretend you are! Be honest if you don't know something they ask you.

If and when they ask you about yourself, relate it back to your job experience. They don't care about what your hobbies are, they want to know about what makes you qualified.

Do research about the company! Sound passionate about their mission even if you're only looking for a paycheck. They want someone that can grow and develop with the company and be excited about working there.

Ask questions at the end. I try to ask at least two. Ask them to explain about the work culture or growth opportunities (just my examples) Basically show them that you've done research and are actually interested in what they do.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Man what I do (Scrum Master) I can get a contract gig tomorrow. But of the big companies hiring Scrum Masters in my area, I can't even get a first interview. My resume is solid, and I've worked at big corps mature in Agile and have always been one of the best SMs they've had employed. Right now at the organization I'm in (a Fortune 250 company) I'm probably in the top five in the org at my role (I know this because I'm frequently included on special initiatives and virtual teams with the folks the org considers "the best"), and am consistently rated as a high performer.

But the company itself is a mess, and they will only reward with more work not more pay/promotion, so I'm looking elsewhere. But I mentioned before, I can't even get a first interview through an internal referral. It's freaking nuts. I wonder if I'm getting filtered out by gender or race (I know this because my current organization is prioritizing minority hires).

Sucks because one company I have been trying to get into FOR YEARS but there was never the right opportunity - as a matter of fact when I was interviewing with my current company a few years back I had a phone interview with this company, but it was for a more junior position with junior pay - I finally found a great opportunity I was perfectly suited for, and I couldn't even get a phone screen even though I was an internal referral!

I've worked with a lot of people over the years who have been hired as a Scrum Master and they are absolutely clueless in their jobs, so my knowledge and skillset would definitely stand out in a crowd. I just am so discouraged that my only options are contract positions. Thank God I'm still employed...