• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THR has reported that Demon Slayer: Mugen Train that recently opened in U.S. theaters set a box office record with its theatrical debut, opening in 1,605 theaters, Demon Slayer generated approximately $19.5 million which sets the biggest domestic debut of all time for a foreign-language film box office record:

'Mortal Kombat' and 'Demon Slayer' Box Office: Video Game Adaptation Narrowly Wins | Hollywood Reporter

Making history, the Japanese anime epic 'Demon Slayer: Mugen Train' scored the top domestic opening of all time — nearly $20 million — for a foreign-language film.

Reflecting the pent-up demand to see new movies on the big screen, the weekend box office saw a spirited — and unexpected battle — between Mortal Kombat and Japanese anime pic Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train.

Warner Bros.' Mortal Kombat topped the North American chart with $22.5 million from 3,073 locations, while Funimation's Demon Slayer followed with an estimated $19.5 million from 1,605 sites. That's by far the biggest domestic debut of all time for a foreign-language film.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
With the pandemic I'm not sure I should be happy about this lol.

I do want to see it though, but I'm waiting for that digital release.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine those numbers would have doubled if it wasn't for the pandemic. What an amazing film.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see the audience make up. Mix of fans vs people just seeing it because it looked interesting

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony underestimated how popular Demon Slayer is, they only did around 1500 theaters

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is really cool to see happening and I've never seen Demon Slayer. Just kinda nuts and pleasantly surprising to see the record breaking pace seemingly out of nowhere, and to clarify, I know it's NOT out of nowhere and Demon Slayer has had running success that's contributed to this, it's just so weird because it feels like many previous anime were poised to do something like this too.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there are threatres carrying it that in a non pandemic world would never carry a anime film, which helps.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
i don't think i expected demon slayer to be this hype

how does this fit canonically? i'm assuming this is straight from the manga just based on the name, but how will the anime handle the gap in time?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Great to see Demon Slayer do great in the States. Still need to see the movie myself now that I'm fully vaccinated. I'd imagine that the box office will continue to rebound as more people get vaccinated.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Video gamers showed up more compared to Anime people

More like parents brought there kids to see a violent movie due to cool characters. My theater was jam packed with fucking kids last night. So glad I did the seat trick with two tickets to make sure the nearest kid was 3 seats away from either side.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they expand the number of theaters for Demon Slayer, I would not be surprised if it takes Number 1 next week.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like parents brought there kids to see a violent movie due to cool characters. My theater was jam packed with fucking kids last night. So glad I did the seat trick with two tickets to make sure the nearest kid was 3 seats away from either side.

I'm curious if parents just saw cartoon and figured it was aimed directly at kids or if they're actual fans of the show.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's still rated R. You'd think that would be common sense "Hmmm maybe I shouldn't bring my young kid to see this if I don't already know the content"

As someone who worked as an usher at a major Regal Cinema for years I'm no longer surprised what kinds of movies parents ignorantly bring their children into. I still have a good laugh about the lady who brought her toddlers into Hostel 2 and actually got huffy with me when I told her that film was not at all suited for kids. She of course left about 10 minutes after the film started.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is a good movie, a little bit on the long side, but I really enjoyed it, I had forgotten how much I love Inosuke and Zenitsu.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie with the wife. First 75% I was like ehhh that was okay but nothing special... but the last big fight scene and ending was good.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I must confess i have not started watching

fa2ea515f0d74381388bd43d48ba215f69df1bc8.gifv

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that the number is misleading- if we are going by "highest grossing foreign language film", then Passion of the Christ had an almost $120 million opening weekend, though it was an "american" movie

And I can't speak to every theater in the country, but my theater had nearly equal numbers of Dub and Sub showings, so I know for sure that not every showing across the country was in Japanese

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Why wouldn't The Passion of the Christ count as a foreign-language film? It is in Hebrew, Latin, and reconstructed Aramaic. It opened with 84 million.

Hero also opened with 18 million in 2002 so even not counting the Jesus film the claim that this is "by far the biggest domestic debut of all time for a foreign-language film" is not really true.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
This was a lot of people's first movie theatre viewing in over a year! Well worth watching it on the big screen.
*saw it dubbed with family