• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So you own an air fryer. What do you think?

• 100% worth it!

Votes: 552 72.4%
  • It’s ok. But if you have a convection oven you don’t need one

Votes: 160 21.0%
  • Waste of money (explanation in the thread)

Votes: 50 6.6%

• Total voters

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I got one - but it has been collecting dust lately. The one problem I have is that many frozen products that I would expect to cook in an air fryer don't have exact instructions on the back for how long/how hot to cook them for. At best it will have a section for Air Fryer on the bag and it will just say "Check your air fryer instructions"

So unless you are going by a recipe you find online I find it mysterious to determine the exact times/heat to cook it at.
tip wise you would lower the temp thats on the back and use less time.

but for me, for most food, i just set it at 375F and adjust accordingly since it's the perfect temp that doesn't burn food and cooks thoroughly.

also the air fryer oven is great on whole chicken. roasted one and it had really good crispy skin 👩‍🍳

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
They are worth it and definitely better than convection ovens. The things that make them better are:

• They are smaller so they heat up faster and use less electricity.
  • Having holes in the bottom and something like a frier basket means your food is more evenly cooked than an oven and doesn't do that thing where the top is overly crispy and the bottom is soggy.
  • They are perfect for refreshing fried leftovers

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
This is the one I bought. Additionally-it's pretty massive and takes up a lot of counter space.
I made a mistake- mine is the Vortex plus, which is more like a big toaster oven. It's still a POS.

Plus I have a cat now who's into anything food related- I can't use any small countertop cooking appliances now because he's right on top of them.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Completely worth it for me and my family. I don't cook much, but I've used it to cook all kinds of frozen foods like fries, tatertots, egg rolls, etc as well as raw chicken and homemade pizza. My 9 year old uses it to make toast, hot sandwiches, and he's even made cookies in it (he's not allowed to use the oven or stove yet).

It is an extremely versatile appliance. A quick YT search will show you how to easily cook almost anything. They are especially good for anything with oil/fat in it, to help it crisp up, but you can spritz a little olive oil on anything lean to make make it crisp and give it a little color.

I used to have the egg style, now I have the type that looks like a toaster over with multiple shelves. The shelf style is much easier to take advantage of.

This is the one I have, the Kaloric Maxx. Like a lot of air fryers, it has a bunch of presettings to make cooking various things even easier.
R231dfb5f7425cf76c1b5485a38df0851

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I got one - but it has been collecting dust lately. The one problem I have is that many frozen products that I would expect to cook in an air fryer don't have exact instructions on the back for how long/how hot to cook them for. At best it will have a section for Air Fryer on the bag and it will just say "Check your air fryer instructions"

So unless you are going by a recipe you find online I find it mysterious to determine the exact times/heat to cook it at.

Just eyeball it. If it's out of a bag it's probably 400 for 10-15 minutes and flip once.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Absolutely worth it, even though we own a large convection regular oven. In short, for the $50 it cost, it's way way faster and easier for certain quick air-fry friendly things like say frozen fries or chicken nuggets.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I personally find them pretty overrated in terms of their overall usuabilty. I've basically only used mine for fried chicken/chicken wings/chicken strips, fries, corn dogs, chimichangas, and sometimes pizza. I guess I can get a bigger one (the one I have is already 5.8 QT's) but at that point I rather just use my oven.

Also, not sure if it's just mine, but a lot of time "wet" or sticky-type foods tend to overcook or sometimes don't cook thoroughly even when I rotate.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

Our fryer came with a little cookbook and booklet for generic things like you describe. Eggrolls - 10 minutes at 400, Fries - 15 at 425 and flip and so on and on. Use it or google one like these excellent ones: https://www.cooksmarts.com/articles/free-printable-air-fryer-chart/

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I have the ninja foodie pressure cooker/fryer and other things. Just bought it and made some steaks the other night. They were amazing. Also made some chicken Tenders from scratch. Any place for some other great recipes? I want to use the pressure cooker tool more

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
same.

i think my wife wants to get me one for fathers day. Whats the biggest thing you can cook in one of these? Like i saw someone on twitter post theirs cause they did wings in it and their fryer had like 5 wings in it, which ain't gonna cut it for me.

It depends on the size and style. Generally you want to put things single layer, so if you have an egg-shaped unit you're only going to squeeze so much in there (I broke this rule for fries and tots with no problem). If you have the toaster over style, with shelves, then you'll have much more space to work with

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It reheats pizza slices and it makes them almost taste better than when they first got there.....

It is godlike. Crispy fried chicken reheats well too, but beware.. air fryers can dry out breaded foods rather quickly.

It is different from a convection oven in that it super heats the whole thing evenly with no flipping required. Hate having one cold side/soggy side of food in ovens...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends what your needs are.

We basically just use ours to heat up frozen fries, nuggets, fish (see a pattern?) for the kids. Occasionally some other stuff but that is its main job.

I wouldn't expect it to give you anything remotely like real ass fried chicken if you did it from scratch.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Got a refurbished Ninja Foodi air fryer toaster oven this month.

It's the bees knees. Makes great toast and just made ribs yesterday in the airfryer.

Easy to clean, since you can flip the entire thing up and open the bottom.

Have been super impressed so far.

Dec 31, 2017
They are pretty versatile honestly.

I've used it for french fries, chicken, fish, vegetables, ground meat/kababs, frozen foods and it all comes out really good.

Also great for reheating items, especially meats and fried things.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Easy clean-up and while it doesn't taste like fried food it is a decent substitute. Fries are usually garbo using it though.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
same.

i think my wife wants to get me one for fathers day. Whats the biggest thing you can cook in one of these? Like i saw someone on twitter post theirs cause they did wings in it and their fryer had like 5 wings in it, which ain't gonna cut it for me.
This Philips XXL one fits an entire chicken in it
HD9650-96.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I was skeptical and thought it was a scam. Might as well just use a convection oven.

That was until I was gifted one. While the cook capacity is incredibly small (you really don't want to layer your food if possible), it heats up things and makes them crispy incredibly fast. Chicken tenders come out crispier than they ever would in an oven and cook in half the time, with far less power usage. It's still a pretty specialized piece of equipment, but it works really well.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
everytime this thread comes up i recommend the Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro

Its a convection Toaster Oven with 13 modes including toast, roast, bake, air fry, proof, dehydrate and more.

those solo air fryers only air fry, you dont need another single purpose appliance in the kitchen
I considered this one, but air frying seems like it would make a mess. With an air fryer, you can just pull the basket out and wash it in the sink. How do you find cleaning it?

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have one, so can't really comment, but I get the impression the value vs. a full size convection oven is roughly analogous to the value of a toaster oven vs. a full size oven—namely that it can do similar things more quickly and efficiently. Seems like how much use you'd get out of it depends on what you tend to cook.

I feel like for most of the things I do, I already have another cooking option I'd prefer (microwave, grill, etc.), or would need the space of a full oven (sheet pans of roasted vegetables meant for multiple meals, bread, pizza), so I haven't seen a need personally. Seems like the sweet spot for it is reheating frozen/fried foods, which I don't do regularly.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
We just got one in my household about a month and a half ago.
Only one HUGE regret... Not picking up the bigger model.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
PIcked up a $50 from Costco a few months ago and I love it.

As people have said, reheating pizza is amazing, but leftover Can'es chicken fingers come out almost like fresh.

I also make breakfast potatoes most weekends and they're awesome. Just olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
If you actually fry a lot of stuff, 100%

Although I bought one and then had to find out rather quickly that I don't actually needed it because I rarely fry stuff, so my oven would have sufficed

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think it depends what your needs are.

We basically just use ours to heat up frozen fries, nuggets, fish (see a pattern?) for the kids. Occasionally some other stuff but that is its main job.

I wouldn't expect it to give you anything remotely like real ass fried chicken if you did it from scratch.
I've done fried chicken thighs with good results. Soak in buttermilk and hot sauce overnight. Season some flour, dredge, then cook. Halfway I spray with oil, flip, and spray the other side. Takes about 25-30min or so, but in the end, I get crispy fried chicken.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have tried various different brands and types of french fries in an air fryer and every single time I felt sick to my stomach afterwards. Nothing beats a good old fashioned frying in oil.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was skeptical and thought it was a scam. Might as well just use a convection oven.

That was until I was gifted one. While the cook capacity is incredibly small (you really don't want to layer your food if possible), it heats up things and makes them crispy incredibly fast. Chicken tenders come out crispier than they ever would in an oven and cook in half the time, with far less power usage. It's still a pretty specialized piece of equipment, but it works really well.
Yeah the Instant Pot one has two trays which are layers- and it's a pain. You have to swap them out during the cook or they don't get evenly cooked. I wish I had purchased one that just has the basket.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I considered this one, but air frying seems like it would make a mess. With an air fryer, you can just pull the basket out and wash it in the sink. How do you find cleaning it?

theres a pullout crumb tray, line it with foil and wipe down the inside every once in awhile.

i have a had a few times cooking certain things it will smoke because of the grease and what not. thats one of the few negatives. this thing is so versatile we use it pretty much every day

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
EvNztsTVgAQznCs.jpg

They're pretty good, not great in all situations but I think they're worth it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Air fryer literally changed how i cook the majority of foods i love. Even foods i traditionally baked instead of fry, i started using the air fryer on because it just makes it better.

Clean up is incredibly easy since you can usually just take the parts off and throw into the dish washer.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Air fryer is probably the best thing I bought.

As a single person living alone, since I got one I use it more often than I use my actual oven. It preheats incredibly quickly, cooks food in half the time it takes to bake in the oven, and does a great job at reheating stuff.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I have one, but hardly use it. Takes long, food tastes worse compared to other cooking methods. Sometimes handy, but meh.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Have to admit, I use mine almost everyday. No issues here. But I have also heard that having a toaster oven is basically the same thing.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Yes, yes, and yes.

Lesser known uses:
  • Makes hotdogs absolutely delicious
  • Reheat pizza
  • Meat in general. Chicken thighs are incredible. Makes decent burgers when you don't have access to a grill (snow, apartment living, etc)
  • Hardboiled eggs (yes, it works)
  • Grilled cheese

Lesser known uses:
  • Dude. This 100%. I take the hotdogs out put them in the bun. Sprinkle some cheese on them and then put the whole thing back in.
  • Absolutely
  • Meat in general. Chicken thighs are incredible. Makes decent burgers when you don't have access to a grill (snow, apartment living, etc) -- Haven't tried burgers but I hated the steak i made in it.
  • Hardboiled eggs (yes, it works) -- Oooh... I'm going to try this.
  • Grilled cheese -- Makes a ton of sense but never tried it.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I appreciate my air fryer more every time I use it.

Last night I used it to cook frozen dumplings.

Making kofta is a breeze (or any meatball).

Okra = delish

Heck, my wife even cooked a nice salmon in it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Have to admit, I use mine almost everyday. No issues here. But I have also heard that having a toaster oven is basically the same thing.
For the prices some people pay for a single air fryer, they could get a toaster oven that does damn near everything. Way better deal however I am a fan air frying in general. I bought an oven that does It all. Its pretty much a second oven for me in the kitchen.