• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
I have been looking into getting some new JoyCons for the 2 switch games (shoutout to tactics ogre and Pokémon) I'm planning on getting next month since I'll be travelling in December and will mainly play handheld. My old ones have drift and while it is manageable, it's really affecting my gameplay as someone that barely even plays action games on my switch.

I've been looking around and the price for JoyCons is still insanely expensive (unless they go on sale?), so I was wondering whether there is a reputable third party brand that offered decent alternatives. I don't mind spending money on new JoyCons, but I feel that the next switch is coming soon. I don't want to waste a decent chunk of money on a peripheral that I might end up barely using.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
You can easily replace the joysticks yourself. I got replacements from a local online retailer but they're probably all over amazon. cost me 10 euros for a pair.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They're not only still expensive, they still have not really addressed the flaw that makes the sticks unreliable over time which is insane to me.

There's a thread on the various binbok ones but they will never really have all the functionality. And I assume you want joycon features because you didn't mention the classic controller or I'd go 8bitdo.

Splitpad pro is good if you play in handheld and don't mind the added bulk. I've made my kids use it instead of joycons in handheld mode since joycons are so fragile.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Some people swear by the Hori Split Pad Pro or the Binbok ones

I bought the Hori Split Pad Pro last month because playing Splatoon 3 with default Joycons started hurting my hands (I pretty much only play in handheld mode and I don't use motion controls). They're a great alternative and being able to map whatever I want to the rear triggers is an awesome feature. But if you want gyro controls, then look at the Binboks.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was a Hori Split Pad Pro truther, but now I have converted to the Split Pad Compact. It's the perfect balance for me—great controls, but not the huge hunk of plastic that the Pad Pro offers.

OP
OP
redbomb6

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Binbok does seem to have the most feature parity. I'll look into it more.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They were always a compromise, better options are out there.

The directional buttons on the left serve no purpose being split like that for handheld. Plenty of options now with a D-pad.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I like the Binbok ones but they really only work well for Handheld and wireless play. But they worked great for my playthrough of Skyward Sword HD.

Best all purpose ones are still Nintendo's own.

OP
OP
redbomb6

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
I like the Binbok ones but they really only work well for Handheld and wireless play. But they worked great for my playthrough of Skyward Sword HD.

Best all purpose ones are still Nintendo's own.
It's a problem for me since I'm pretty much 50/50 on dock and handheld. I might still cave in and just buy new joycons but I still have a few weeks before I need to make a decision anyway.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
It's a problem for me since I'm pretty much 50/50 on dock and handheld. I might still cave in and just buy new joycons but I still have a few weeks before I need to make a decision anyway.
This is my struggle. I've heard the official pro controller is good but i game almost exclusively handheld and it seems joycons are still the most ideal

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
No, but depending on your budget, there are better alternatives. I've had my eye on this one, but if anyone has had hands-on, maybe they can sell you better:

Bought a set of these for MH Rise and loved them so much I grabbed another set in a different color. Never had any issues until a few months ago-- one set of them just refuses to update and won't work at all with the Switch.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Bought a set of these for MH Rise and loved them so much I grabbed another set in a different color. Never had any issues until a few months ago-- one set of them just refuses to update and won't work at all with the Switch.

Hmm, that's a little disconcerting. Honestly, if it wasn't for the lack of gyro on Hori's controllers, I would have gone with those in a heartbeat.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
If talking about it in handheld mode, I think the Joycons are really good, although the Hori Pad's are nice as well.

If in docked mode, I'd go with the Pro Controller, comfortable and works real well.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
When I do handheld play for long than a few minutes, my hands and fingers start falling asleep. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe how I'm wrapping my hands around them? just got the split pad compact yesterday and so far so good.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Split Pad Pros are my jam for anything that needs more than just "light" gaming

I keep thinking about those, but then I'm like, anything that isn't "light" I think I would just be playing docked with my Pro Controller anyways? Idk

I also had already bought a grip from Skull and Co. for my OLED, always wondered which was between the two

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I keep thinking about those, but then I'm like, anything that isn't "light" I think I would just be playing docked with my Pro Controller anyways? Idk

I also had already bought a grip from Skull and Co. for my OLED, always wondered which was between the two
As long as you're not doing anything that needs you waggling the sticks a lot. I think just a grip will suffice.

Some games are just Joycon killers though like RE4-6. With their "wiggle sticks" to escape and such

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
If you want the full feature set, but want something more comfortable than the stock Joycon I'd recommend a grip. Either the Satisfye or the Skull and Co.

www.satisfye.com

Satisfye, Premium Gaming Accessories: Grips, Pads, Cases & More

The most premium, high-quality accessories for your console gaming experience. Experts in ergonomics and quality.
skullnco.com

Pro Gaming Accessories | Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbo

Premium accessories for Nintendo Switch/Switch Lite, PlayStation and Xbox. Ergonomic Switch grip, Switch case, 2-in-1 design GripCase, Jumpgate portable dock, AudioStick Bluetooth transmitter, AC adapter, carrying case, Controller Stand, thumb grip, joystick replacement, D-Pad button cap, screen...

I find the Satisfye to be more comfortable, but the Skull and Co has come a long way from its first iteration. I also believe the current version of the Skull and Co is dockable.

I actually kickstarted a grip called the G-Case and just received it recently and have been using it for the past week. I really like it, but since it's only know being shipped out to backers it will be awhile before it's readily available.

plenbo.com

Plenbo: Play & Bold

Plenbo

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My right joycon is drifted to hell, so I don't use those anymore.

I have the Binkbok's and I like them, but they're not perfect. I've had more then a few times where they lose connection with my Switch in handheld mode.

Guilikit is working on replacement sticks that are Hall-Effect for the stock joycons, like they made for the Steam Deck, so I'm waiting on those to fix my joycons.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was a Hori Split Pad Pro truther, but now I have converted to the Split Pad Compact. It's the perfect balance for me—great controls, but not the huge hunk of plastic that the Pad Pro offers.
I have a Split Pad Pro as well, but now on second look at the Compact I'm considering it. What are the odds you might have a comparison picture of the Switch + Split Pad Compact size compared to regular Joycons and the Pro?

Nov 7, 2017
I got a nano controller , it's pretty good. slightly smaller than the pro, with a blue and pink and grey colour scheme. Really comfortable and charges off usb-c. No rumble though.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I think you might want a grip instead of a different controller, if you want to keep all the features. I couldn't do the Split Pad because I need gyro. Then to fix your drift, I'd recommend replacing the joysticks. It's fairly straightforward and replacements are like $10 on Amazon. You'll need a tri wing screwdriver.

I got a really nice grip for my OLED and it's been a joy to play in Handheld, and it still has slots to slide the joycon out if I need to.

Oct 25, 2017
YyHTzkA.jpg

Another option not posted yet, is to just get a portable monitor (good 1080p ones are like $100-250) and a pro controller. A second monitor is a must have if you are working when traveling. Most portable monitors can get video out just from a usb-c cable from the switch, no dock needed.