• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2021/08/att-directv-spinoff-tpg-streaming-bundles-warnermedia-1234807615/

AT&T has completed the spinoff of DirecTV into a new entity part-owned by private equity firm TPG, capping a costly six-year adventure in the satellite TV business.

The new entity, whose financials will no longer be included on the AT&T balance sheet, unveiled new branding and a new home for its internet-delivered TV packages. Later this month, DirecTV Stream will become the umbrella for streaming offerings like the one formerly known as AT&T TV Now (originally DirecTV Now).

AT&T is getting $7.8 billion in cash in the transaction, including $1.8 billion from TPG and and $5.8 billion from the new DirecTV, which is borrowing that sum. Since closing the $81 billion Time Warner acquisition in 2018 (after a protracted antitrust fight with the U.S. government), AT&T has battled to make the math work. Its deal-related debt load has unsettled investors, and it has undertaken multiple efforts over the past three years to reshape its media and entertainment assets, jettisoning 2,000 workers. It also has sold off an array of assets, from real estate to digital and international holdings, in order to pay down debt.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Selling for 1/10th what you paid for it 3 years ago. They would have been better off buy $81 billion worth of trading cards.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like the fact that they only sold 30% of their stake but somehow that means it's "off their balance sheet" and "independent" is part of why all of the rest of us hate business people

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Now it can slowly wither and die on its own I guess?
AT&T's ownership was the definition of stagnation. They acquired DirecTV literally only to use their name for their streaming service. They essentially froze development of everything else, created pointless pet-projects for AT&T teams without work, and abandoned DirecTV's core business. They gutted sweng, and culled almost everyone with decent knowledge of the infrastructure and/or software stack. I was personally impacted by the mess that was the acquisition.

Last edited:

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
So I've come full circle from using directv's streaming service to transitioning to att tv now to just att tv and now back to directv.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
AT&T's whole adventure over the last decade had been fascinating. They basically tried turning themselves into Comcast, a vertically integrated provider of everything from the pipes to the service to the content going through them, and that…actually didn't work out, somehow? I get that they took on a ton of debt to make it happen and that made investors skittish. But man, it feels like this could have been a way different story if they picked a better target than, like, a declining satellite TV provider.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for next DirecTV billing to reflect this change…
beli.png