• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hot on the heels of the Netherlands declaring loot boxes are gambling and therefore illegal, Belgium has had its say.

The Belgian Gaming Commission looked at Star Wars Battlefront 2, FIFA 18, Overwatch and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and found only Star Wars was not in violation of the country's gambling legislation - and that's only because EA stripped out the game's loot boxes after its launch debacle.

It determined FIFA 18, Overwatch and CS:GO's loot boxes are a game of chance and therefore subject to Belgian gaming law. Battlefront 2, at the time the investigation was conducted, did not have loot boxes, so escapes unscathed.

A statement from Minister of Justice Koen Geens said FIFA 18, Overwatch and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive were therefore illegal and demanded their loot boxes removed. If they're not, the publishers "risk a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to 800,000 euros". When minors are involved, those punishments can be doubled, Greens added.

Belgium expressed a particular concern about the impact loot boxes have on young people. "It is often children who come into contact with such systems and we cannot allow that," Geens warned.

In fact, Geens requested the Belgian Gaming Commission investigated video game loot boxes after the Star Wars blow up. "Given the importance of the protection of minors and vulnerable players, this was very worrying," he said.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...res-loot-boxes-gambling-and-therefore-illegal

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA/Dice really overstepped what is acceptable, they've ruined it for other Pubs, lol. I love it.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
This will only lead to the publishers not releasing games in Belgium anymore and not them removing their lootboxes from games, will it?

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Good, worse than gambling considering in gambling you have a potential to actually win something beyond a fifa card which will be useless in 6 months and can't sell.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good! Get that crap out of my games.

One of the few times I'm actually happy to live in this country.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Ea fucked it up so bad, not only gamers hate them, but other pubs for fucking it up for them as well.

Good decision as well.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Overwatch - Belgium Edition
Fifa 18 - Belgium Edition

"and found only Star Wars was not in violation of the country's gambling legislation".

I had to read that thrice.

It's like those movie scenes where a dude screws it up for everybody but when the cops arrive he's the only one innocent.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
This will only lead to the publishers not releasing games in Belgium anymore and not them removing their lootboxes from games, will it?

I think it's more likely that other countries will follow the trend, and it will force companies to revise the implementation, rather than boycotting entire nations because of their laws.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title may be misleading, because not all loot boxes were declared as gambling.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The ironic thing here is that the most consumer friendly lootbox model is considered the "worst" legally

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I believe they were also looking at Rocket League according to the original news. If so, it's weird they don't consider it gambling

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
EA, I know we give you alot of shit but I would like to sincerely and wholeheartedly thank you. Hopefully other countries follow.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep making it illegal. Force companies into good business practices.

Read the article. The country isn't making the loot boxes illegal on their own. They've decided that loot boxes should be subject to the gambling laws of their country which in turn has made them illegal.

Other countries that have laxer gambling laws won't have to do this. Nobody's "making loot boxes illegal".

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone here shed some light on what Belgium's stance is on Collectible Card Games (Magic, Pokemon etc.), "Blind Bag" toys and other physical products where the contents of the item are not guaranteed?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone here shed some light on what Belgium's stance is on Collectible Card Games (Magic, Pokemon etc.), "Blind Bag" toys and other physical products where the contents of the item are not guaranteed?
This ruling pretty much opens up a whole debate on this topic in that specific country now. Card games like Magic, Pokemon, etc. will now have to be deemed illegal as well.

Will they remove FIFA from all the European Union if this spreads?
I don't see them removing lootboxes until they actually see significant changes in revenue, as they should.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What will really happen is that publishers will make appeal of that ruling and find a loophole that will manage them to continue selling those games like they always did.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't agree they should be totally illegal since adults should be able to spend money on whatever they want, but selfishly I'll take this ruling with glee.

Does the fact that Brussels is the EU capital help the chances of this becoming an EU-wide law in the future? I have no idea what that legislative process looks like, but I imagine that would be big enough to kill lootboxes forever.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game that caused all of this got away unscathed because of the controversy. Amazing!