• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Toei ruins one piece overall not gonna lie. Their use of colors, sound effects, it's all so terrible and off tone from the original manga, the only reason the anime is so popular is because the story carries it HARD.

Its more like the anime is usually a pretty mediocre adaptation with the occasional really good scene when they spend money on the animation. Some of the voice actors carry it as much as the source material.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Trunks is fine but GT:

63c3c3ca307084c2a307f41dc3d69e70.png

Looks like a total nerd
mQNnSQW.jpg

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
(Mostly poking fun. The thing you're talking about exists and it's tied up in a bunch of color theory stuff).

It's mainly a 60s Marvel conceit. Since so many of their characters were first designed then, it's persisted. Stan Lee said it was just as simple as primary colors for heroes and secondary colors for villains.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Its more like the anime is usually a pretty mediocre adaptation with the occasional really good scene when they spend money on the animation. Some of the voice actors carry it as much as the source material.
I will say that even the best animated scenes suffer from having this weird "Dragonball" vibe that comes from the sound effects and coloring of the anime. Imo One Piece should have been adapted with a more "artistic" direction more like Oda's color pages.
You're right about the voice actors though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that even the best animated scenes suffer from having this weird "Dragonball" vibe that comes from the sound effects and coloring of the anime. Imo One Piece should have been adapted with a more "artistic" direction more like Oda's color pages.
You're right about the voice actors though.

The current arc is a step up visually imo. The line work is more varied but generally yeah, only some of the movies really look consistently nice.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hate Super Saiyan 2 because it's practically indistinguishable from 1. Even Toriyama forgot about it.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Someone needs to tell Yuffie her shorts are unbuttoned. Plus I hate her weird giant sleeve.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Lmao y'all get on my nerves sometimes. Out here posting Goku and Megaman X like what???? Get some tastes yah nerds.
I know it is beloved, I know it is a classic, and I know I will get flak.

But this is not the costume of a warrior.
02ww-00-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

I know she has better costumes (more akin to greek militia), but the classic "bathing suit" has always been terrible to me.
Agree on this one though. Wonder Womans "classic" look can fuck off.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I absolutely hate most of the X-men outfits outside of Ultimates, but this Cyclops one makes me especially angry for some reason.

99e0eb400f2a03531f6b8bb7d8bb4697.png

Looking like a blue dildo.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't like Toriyama's art, but I see that's covered here already.

I'll go this direction, since he seems quite beloved.
gOF1R3D.png

I can't stand it. Why is his nose so round? Can he even see anything without turning his head to the side??
I thought he looked ok in Yoshi's Island, not sure what happened when he transitioned to 3D but it disturbs me for some reason. Kinda reminds me of a tumor I guess.

Also the more I look at his human hands and the fact that he only wears boots. Ugh.
I almost want to put the pic in spoiler tags. I'd take the movie Yoshi over this.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Classic Kratos. The new design from the 2018 game is excellent, but his original design just looked dumb to me and I was always baffled that people considered it good. The argument says it conveyed his personality of being a brutal asshole perfectly, but he was just a muscular dude, and his ashe white skin and random red whirl didn't do that. There's a better argument for his body language, in how he stomps about with his head in a lowered position, but it kind of takes a backseat once the fight actually starts because where his character is more of a barbarian rage monster that mainly relies on his overpowering strength, the story calls him a skillful warrior (when he doesn't really display skills in the traditional sense) and his actual gameplay is more of a....dancer? Because of how the chains of chaos work like they do, he's twirling most of the time, so you get a wierd sense of grace as opposed to power from his actual moveset.

So the personality of Kratos says he's an incoherent rage monster, the story says he's an efficient tactical warrior, and the gameplay says he's a ballerina.
Kratos is beloved right? I can't stand the way he looks. Please tell me people just like the character but don't actually want to look like him?
I agree with this. The first God of War game I played was the 2018 release, and so I looked at a couple of retrospective videos to catch up on the lore and Kratos' design was distractingly bad. Looks like a Nu-Metal singer dipped in white-out

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Can someone explain to me why James Howlett/Logan/Wolverine would ever wear a stupid costume like this ?

G7ETbfwKRcOkHZ3eL7cZVhXrZQZULJ_q-kIl0rUkevQVEOXePm-DbjRN84N6pVn9KMxsKEISl1jGa1SDSZ8XlUQEAetEdTtIz4uZ0Hw66sK_HXZMrhn2ehW-QQiV

He looks like a goddamn clown, like most of the other original X-men outfits. Dude's been through so much in his life but this is his worst mistake by far.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I know it is beloved, I know it is a classic, and I know I will get flak.

But this is not the costume of a warrior.
02ww-00-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

I know she has better costumes (more akin to greek militia), but the classic "bathing suit" has always been terrible to me.
I agree hate the swimsuit design as well as the american flag modified, give me the Greek warrior outfit anytime. Loved her design In the movies. I also really like the new 53 armor designs.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
pic-9.jpg

Hasashi Hirai's character designs are divisive outside of Japan, but Gundam Seed is still a pretty beloved series in that market so it counts. There was discussion recently around Destiny being the thing that soured western fans on Seed... but I don't think I could ever sit through a show with these line-nose designs. I don't think I despise any character design, but there are ones I'm not inclined to bother with.

Yeah, I think I watched Infinite Ryvius, s-CRY-ed, and Gundam Seed pretty close to each other (with Heroic Age and Fafner close behind) and they all just kind of look the same character design wise.

As far as One Piece goes I actually like the goofy designs of guys like Franky, but I hate time skip Nami and Boa and (sometimes) Robin. Every time I get to collecting the crew in figure or statue form I stop cold in my tracks when it comes to Nami.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't say it, but this is what I was going to post. Batman The Animated Series (and to an extent the Superman one, although I never really watched it). I just didn't care for how minimal the art was. It get it. Cheaper. It was a "style". I just alway preferred more "lines". I disliked more when it was new, now it's just ok.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Despise is a bit much but I've never liked anything from Akira Toriyama.
Despise is a strong word, but I don't care for zero suit Samus

Zerosuitechoes.jpg

Give me the grounded take from Prime 1 you cowards

Helmetless_Samus.jpg
One-Piece-Full-Cast-Header-Image.jpg

One Piece for me. It obviously resonates with people but I can't get over the character design.
bioshock-infinite-wallpapersci-fi-action-adventure---bioshock-infinite-wallpapers-hd-tgchp0n3.0.jpg

I dislike her Disney-esque design and in general I just find Elizabeth very grating for some reason, though it feels like I am completely alone in that opinion.

I agree with all of these.
Chrono Trigger is one of the few Akira Toriyama art sets I'm fine with, maybe because it doesn't really reflect ingame so much.
MP1 ending Samus was best design, zero suit with high heels and neon blonde hair just sucked.
One Piece designs, at least from what I saw in the TV show, peaked pre-timeskip.
Elizabeth feels very out of place, 'Disney-esque' definitely fits. It's like they had a focus group on how to try to make a character you want to protect and sympathize with.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm probably gonna catch it from the OP fandom but

Luffy's oversized straw hat. I absolutely hate it when it looks like he has a balloon on his head.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like Toriyama's art, but I see that's covered here already.

I'll go this direction, since he seems quite beloved.
gOF1R3D.png

I can't stand it. Why is his nose so round? Can he even see anything without turning his head to the side??
I thought he looked ok in Yoshi's Island, not sure what happened when he transitioned to 3D but it disturbs me for some reason. Kinda reminds me of a tumor I guess.

Also the more I look at his human hands and the fact that he only wears boots. Ugh.
I almost want to put the pic in spoiler tags. I'd take the movie Yoshi over this.
2667140-jeff_loves_yoshi.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Master Chief. Most space marine designs are corny but MC's design especially has aged extra bad, it's so damn ugly.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still looks dumb but that makes it slightly more bearable.
giphy.gif

On topic, any Harley Quinn that is derived from this one:
Batman-Arkham-Knight-Harley-Quinn-.jpg

So the Injustice one, the DCEU one, any post new 52 one (Especially the Conner / Palmiotti one), the Fortnite one.

The only time that that design has worked is in the animated series (With a proper explanation for the change), Gen-2 Superhero Girls (For her civilian persona), and the current comic (Quite stylized):
924788._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

MV5BY2NkNjVlZjQtN2E2Mi00MDViLTliOTQtY2U2Mjk5OTExY2JjXkEyXkFqcGdeQTNwaW5nZXN0._V1_.jpg

This other one I also liked the approach:
maxresdefault.jpg

Because having white skin all the time is the worst design choice made.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the way everyone looks in The Incredibles. I also think most of the main family's voice acting is pretty bad. I'd rather watch Cars than those movies.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Can someone explain to me why James Howlett/Logan/Wolverine would ever wear a stupid costume like this ?

G7ETbfwKRcOkHZ3eL7cZVhXrZQZULJ_q-kIl0rUkevQVEOXePm-DbjRN84N6pVn9KMxsKEISl1jGa1SDSZ8XlUQEAetEdTtIz4uZ0Hw66sK_HXZMrhn2ehW-QQiV

He looks like a goddamn clown, like most of the other original X-men outfits. Dude's been through so much in his life but this is his worst mistake by far.
Putting aside the weird, retroactive in-universe justifications for his costume, I always kind of liked the idea that Logan was simply willing to wear whatever goofy-ass costume Department H was going to saddle him with so long as it allowed him to legally go about fucking up peoples shit.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Putting aside the weird, retroactive in-universe justifications for his costume, I always kind of liked the idea that Logan was simply willing to wear whatever goofy-ass costume Department H was going to saddle him with so long as it allowed him to legally go about fucking up peoples shit.

He's like two hundred years old or something, right?

This would've probably been kick-ass fashion back in 1886.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Movie batmans usually looks pretty stupid too. The mascara is so dumb especially since they pretend it's not make-up lol. The trailer for the new one seems to imply they are recognizing it's makeup but ever since I was little the lids from the cartoon looked cool so I could be nothing but disappointed by the repeated decisions to have eye holes in the cowl.

This always bothered me:

mt9sg1jpixa11.jpg

May 26, 2018
Elizabeth feels very out of place, 'Disney-esque' definitely fits. It's like they had a focus group on how to try to make a character you want to protect and sympathize with.

Partially that, and partially I think Ken wanted to see a Disney princess get corrupted and blood-splattered and go all edgy... just the aesthetic of it :P

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go against the grain and say I don't really love OG Harley Quinn. It looks great in something simplified, like Timm's style and other cartoons, but when you try to translate it to a semi-realistic (or even just "house style") comic it's ugly as hell. And not charming ugly, just ugly ugly. That famous Alex Ross piece in particular bothers me - it just doesn't translate.

cQDtrp0.png

It's mainly a 60s Marvel conceit. Since so many of their characters were first designed then, it's persisted. Stan Lee said it was just as simple as primary colors for heroes and secondary colors for villains.

Yeah, those are the rules, can't fight the laws of reality.

imehdhp.png

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
The Digimon 02 cast i remember thinking they looked pretty lame, very early 2000s with the bucket hats and flame jackets lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I'll actually say that I really don't like these, yet I've heard nothing but praise from fans. These are severely over designed and look like a complete mess.
I was having trouble thinking of something when I saw this thread but this right here. I freaking hate those designs. It's the equivalent of the "Nomura belts" meme but on a robot.

I will admit I like the way it handles dash boots by having retracting thrusters on the legs and the back.

V from DMC5.
latest

He has quite the big fanbase who thinks he's super hot. For me it's as if Capcom has spied on me to include everything that turns me off, from top to bottom.
How he wears his hair, his face, the accessories, the sandals, the edgelord-emo-whatever leather clothes, the sandals, the cane. And all those soulless tribal tattoos are the cherry on top. Even the way he talks drives me crazy at times. Just no.