• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Inspired by my purchases in the last four years, and the BINBOK controller thread. I'm was only going to make notes on 3rd party ones, but to skip the pro controller seemed silly. I'm skipping the basic joycons too because they've been exhaustively covered elsewhere.

Going to rank them into tiers based on what I remember from my amazon purchases:

Top:
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller - The standard. I love mine and use them pretty constantly. My only gripes are that they're not split like Joycons. Some people have issues with the d-pad, but I haven't had any problems of that sort.
8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ Bluetooth Gamepad (Sn Edition) - Great alternative for when you want symmetrical sticks and the d-pad in a different position. Only nitpick once I got past the problems syncing it the first time was that it can't turn the Switch on.

Upper Middle:
Nyko Wireless Core Controller - Bluetooth Pro Controller - Overall pretty good, like the Nintendo branded one's shape much better.

True Middle:
HORI Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro (Daemon X Machina Edition)- Was missing some functionality that I really wanted - gyro aiming for BotW
Wireless Controller for Switch, BestOff Neon Red Neon Blue Controllers - Were great until one of them failed.

Lower Middle:
HORI Nintendo Switch Wireless HORIPAD Zelda Edition Rechargeable Controller - Felt cheap, and the battery was constantly an issue

Garbage:
KINVOCA C25 Joycon Replacement for Nintendo Switch/Lite - L/R Joy Pad - Bought these hoping for wireless play. Couldn't get that to work.
PowerA Wired Controller Plus - Super Mario - Nintendo Switch, Red - Failed quickly
PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch - Black - Nintendo Switch - Also failed quickly

Anyone have any great or horrible experiences with various Switch Controlers and Joycons? Especially ones not covered here?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have the Xenoblade 2 Pro controller and while it was one of my favorite controllers I've ever had, the left analog stick is completely FUBAR. I gotta do something about it...

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I have the Xenoblade 2 Pro controller and while it was one of my favorite controllers I've ever had, the left analog stick is completely FUBAR. I gotta do something about it...

I have that too, including the issue with the left analog stick. I tried to clean it but it only seemed to get worse over time.

Also, my son has a regular Pro Controller and it started drifting. This was around the same time that my XBC2 controller started to get bad, so I just bought us a couple of 8bitdo SNPro+ controllers and we've been using those ever since. Not being able to turn the Switch on really is the only issue.

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have that too, including the issue with the left analog stick. I tried to clean it but it only seemed to get worse over time.

Also, my son has a regular Pro Controller and it started drifting. This was around the same time that my XBC2 controller started to get bad, so I just bought us a couple of 8bitdo SNPro+ controllers and we've been using those ever since. Not being able to turn the Switch on really is the only issue.

I've ordered one of the new 8bitdo ones - https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2 - and I'm hoping that between the android software to configure it (I won't run windows!) and the physical switch on the back of the controller will allow it to turn on the Switch power, it will resolve all the issues I currently have with my Pro+. It's a shame that it doesn't come in the SNES style - I like the SNES convex/concave buttons, but I'm not above doing some controller surgery to swap out buttons if I can.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I use an SF30 Pro, because I play 2D games so much and it's just a nice controller to use - I'd probably prefer the one with handles (?) in reality, but this one looks too nice and I could only get one.

Dying to find a Switch controller with nice face buttons though. The ones on the joycons are too small, the ones on the SF30 Pro are way too high and clicky and so it's difficult to press them repeatedly and quickly. I basically want a controller with face buttons like the Dual Shock 4. I haven't found anything I can play Hatsune Miku Mega Mix with.

Oct 25, 2017
México
8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ Bluetooth Gamepad (Sn Edition) - Great alternative for when you want symmetrical sticks and the d-pad in a different position. Only nitpick once I got past the problems syncing it the first time was that it can't turn the Switch on.
That one is outdated now. The new Pro 2 is going to be released in a few weeks.

www.resetera.com

8BitDo Pro 2 Gamepad announced - Same price as the previous version

https://www.engadget.com/8-bitdo-pro-2-controller-150048045.html https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Oh, right. Just saw your post. Sorry.
No worries. Bringing as much positive attention to 8bitdo as possible is always good. :D

I've been constantly impressed with them. They do solid products, and if they put out an asymmetrical controller or pro joycons of some sort, I'd jump on them immediately.

Seriously, I use the my 8bitdo for all my d-pad gaming. It's fantastic. I've put like 40 hours of use on it with hollow knight in the last month.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and holy cow I didn't realize the price jumped that much. I think I paid $24 for it less than 2 years ago.

It's a popular controller for PC too. Kaizo SMW players use it a lot. That might have driven the price up.
The Wii U editions are identical to the Switch edition other than branding, no? Those are a decent bit cheaper, though still more than I paid for mine.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
and I'm hoping that between the android software to configure it (I won't run windows!) and the physical switch on the back of the controller will allow it to turn on the Switch power
Sadly I'm like 99% sure that they explicitly mentioned that turning the Switch on was still not possible with the new controller. Otherwise I'm also very interested in the new SN30+ pro (what a name..) I'm on my second as the first had some kind of fluid creep into the B button and it got-semi-stuck each time I pressed it :/ Still, the D-Pad is fantastic for anything Mario!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Have you thought about sending it in to Nintendo to get it repaired? I haven't opened mine up and tried to clean it yet so that's my next step, but I'd potentially send it in since I like it so much.

Hori D-Pad controller

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Big fan of the Hori D-Pad Controller (L) I've seen it under $20 in certain places, and it's been my go-to for NSO games handheld.
Also when my left joycon had drift, this guy was great as a backup while it was getting repaired.
13149.jpg

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Big fan of the Hori D-Pad Controller (L) I've seen it under $20 in certain places, and it's been my go-to for NSO games handheld.
Also when my left joycon had drift, this guy was great as a backup while it was getting repaired.
13149.jpg
Ironically enough, my SO used my like-new one when her first party Joy-Con was out for repair, and this Hori one's stick stopped working (way worse than drift) within a few days of some Animal Crossing use. It was well out of the timeframe to do something about it with the retailer, but Hori USA said they'd help me out when I explained the situation - just to provide info for a replacement - but then they ghosted me. Of course this was early pandemic, so Joy-Con were hard to find in stock anywhere.

Had nothing but positive experiences with Hori over many generations prior to this :/

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Playing MonHunRise portable w/ regular joycons makes my hands hurt... and playing overwatch portable feels impossible lol. kinda curious about that HORI Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro (Daemon X Machina Edition) .... Has anyone else used these for games like these?
I have a set and like them, but they're missing features. Specifically (off the top of my head) they're missing gyro, rumble, and NFC. I don't care much about NFC, but I found I was really missing the gyro and rumble.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Great OP!

I love love love my Split Pad Pro, since the moment I slotted them into place, they've never been unplugged.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Ironically enough, my SO used my like-new one when her first party Joy-Con was out for repair, and this Hori one's stick stopped working (way worse than drift) within a few days of some Animal Crossing use. It was well out of the timeframe to do something about it with the retailer, but Hori USA said they'd help me out when I explained the situation - just to provide info for a replacement - but then they ghosted me. Of course this was early pandemic, so Joy-Con were hard to find in stock anywhere.

Had nothing but positive experiences with Hori over many generations prior to this :/

damn that sucks. mine is over a year old and i've had no issues with it, but for how cheap it was to purchase, i feel like i've gotten my money's worth already

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
IRT drift - I hope some company comes up with their own high quality versions of the more popular analog thumbstick mechanisms and we end up seeing those take over as a high quality mark. Like cherry switches for keyboards (and arcade games. I loved good cherry switches when I had an SFA3 cabinet).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yep, and holy cow I didn't realize the price jumped that much. I think I paid $24 for it less than 2 years ago.

It's a popular controller for PC too. Kaizo SMW players use it a lot. That might have driven the price up.
I got one at gamestop a few years ago for like 15 bucks or something like that. I never use it so maybe I'll look into reselling.

The binbok, ALIENGT, and ESYWEN joycons are all pretty solid and have full functionality on the switch and wirelessly. I bought a few sets so I could make both sides pink for my daughter and the binboks for me because of the back button.

I've had both the Mario and pikachu versions and both started drifting for me after a lot of use, it's the whole reason why I dropped them and went for the 3rd party ones that have a traditional analog stick over the smaller Nintendo/hori ones.

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
The binbok, ALIENGT, and ESYWEN joycons are all pretty solid and have full functionality on the switch and wirelessly. I bought a few sets so I could make both sides pink for my daughter and the binboks for me because of the back button.
I always feel like I never know what I'm going to get with a lot of those. They can be great, like some people have found with the binbok, but they can also be pretty terrible. The thing that really gets me is that a lot of these look entirely the same (same plastic shell) with different internals from different brands that may or may not be the same manufacturer. There is no real filter on what's good and what's not so good. It's like a lot of them are designed and quickly produced for a run, then they sell those, fix some problems, and do another run. You get several silent generations of electronic components.

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Has anyone tried the PDP Gaming Wireless Deluxe Controller?
81lSqFrInIL._SL1500_.jpg

I was really disappointed with the HORI Nintendo Switch Wireless HORIPAD Zelda Edition Rechargeable Controller, the D-dap doesn't register inputs properly. I even opened it, checked the contacts and cleaned it and I still have to press harder for the D-pad to register.
I haven't tried the PDP controllers for a long time if ever.

If someone does have some direct experience with this one, I'll be sure to add a threadmark.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Is there a Switch SNES controller - that keeps the original form factor - that doesn't suffer from 8bitdo's allegedly terrible diagonals input or Nintendo's official SNES controller terrible aftermarket pricing?