• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So I'm getting interested in reading comics again and I wonder which app on IOS is best place for someone that lives in the EU? I'm mainly interested in reading Marvel, DC and other comics (Aliens perhaps?)

Is Marvel Unlimited good and how is Comixology?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Comixology is great. That's for buying new comics, etc. MU has a deep back catalog.
If you're going to be reading comics in CBR format I recommend the iComics app on iOS.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Comixology is what you want if you're looking to read new comics or to own comics. There are a fair number of sales (though DC has become stingy over the last year with theirs), and if you have comixology unlimited, you get a slight discount on all comics from most big publishers.

Marvel Unlimited is ideal if you wanna binge Marvel stuff that's older than 3 months. Nearly everything you'd want is there, besides some old stuff and Max series. I do run into them not having the books I want from time to time, but those are really deep cuts usually.

DC Universe Infinite will go worldwide later this year, and it's DC's equivalent of Marvel Unlimited, though there's a 6 month lag rather than 3 (used to be a year and Marvel used to be 6 months).

Enjoy!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Marvel Unlimited is very good if you're interested in delving into Marvel history. Tons of comics in there.

Comixology is the #1 digital comic book store to buy comics.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chunky is good for your DRM free stuff. I like Comixology for some stuff others I just buy from the iBooks store

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Comixology is great and EU availability is pretty comprehensive; there are just a couple of things that are region locked, like the Carl Barks Library.
You can get Marvel Unlimited working, I think you only need a VPN for the initial setup, it's been a while since I used it but I'm pretty sure you can use your EU connection to read.
For DCU you'll need a VPN to read/watch.

edit: for Euro stuff izneo is probably the best, quality can be hit-and-miss while still being much better than Kindle store.

OP
OP
Mr Swine

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for the replies! I think that if I want to own the comics it's going to be through the Comixology app while I subscribe to the Marvel App

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I just got an iPad Air and already installed Marvel Unlimited and Comixology. What apps would you guys recommend for reading manga?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Comixology is amazing, although unfortunately the storefront isn't on the iOS app. You have to go to the browser to buy something.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Comixology is great and EU availability is pretty comprehensive; there are just a couple of things that are region locked, like the Carl Barks Library.
You can get Marvel Unlimited working, I think you only need a VPN for the initial setup, it's been a while since I used it but I'm pretty sure you can use your EU connection to read.
For DCU you'll need a VPN to read/watch.

edit: for Euro stuff izneo is probably the best, quality can be hit-and-miss while still being much better than Kindle store.

Marvel Unlimited doesn't need a VPN, it's just available.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean to read your own, Chunky all the way. I have tried every other one, and it is fantastic.
Website Here

Best money I have ever spent on the app. I was also curious if it could do something that was not listed, emailed the dev, and he replied in like 5 minutes letting me know indeed it could and gave me instructions on how to do it (I wanted to copy my library from one iPad directly to another).

Fantastic app for reading your own comic files.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
If you mean to read your own, Chunky all the way. I have tried every other one, and it is fantastic.
Website Here

Best money I have ever spent on the app. I was also curious if it could do something that was not listed, emailed the dev, and he replied in like 5 minutes letting me know indeed it could and gave me instructions on how to do it (I wanted to copy my library from one iPad directly to another).

Fantastic app for reading your own comic files.
It is the best choice for DRM-less comics from Comixology and bundles. The only issue is that development seems to be dead nowadays, and there's still no way to see network storage as anything other than a text-only list.

Marvel Unlimited doesn't need a VPN, it's just available.
Thanks for the correction. I did try it for a few months, then I went back buying the individual issues/trades. It's pretty great and the image quality is not that bad, it tends to be better in trades though.