• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Shun'ei (The King of Fighters XIV)

1KuO.gif

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Redemption Cody from SF5:
cody-travers-streetfighterv-official-artwork.jpg

Suckt that they changed his gameplay so much tho. He's a far-cry from his former self gameplay-wise.
This fuckin' dude looks SO GOD-DAMNED GOOD. I wouldn't have mentioned him though, since he's actually a pretty old fighting game character.
Yeah, I came here to mention Hisako.
plus...

[quoting an earlier Hisako post]
This and its not even close
agreed

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I personally really thought Kung Jin from MK X was a really great character. Thought he had interesting capabilities, that brought some new ideas while borrowing and melding things from previous ones, and his story was kinda cool: a thief who Raiden catches trying to steal from a temple, if I remember correctly. Thought I would enjoy Takeda more, but Jin was the new character I really enjoyed overall!

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I really love Cassie Cage, and she's been mentioned a few times already.

I'm also very partial to Peacock from skullgirls
hqdefault.jpg

That ghost woman people are posting looks really neat, never got a chance to play killer instinct though.

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Ed, his standard costume might be ugly but he has cool moves and the button inputs were a nice change for me.

His default costume does get shit on (I find it fine and kinda cool really), but yeah I think Ed's a really cool character too. I love his story. A kid with Bison's powers that was raised by Balrog to fight. Never even considered what Balrog would be like as a father figure, but it was a great idea, and now that it's happened Ed turned out exactly what his kid should be like.

And yeah I think his playstyle is cool, unique, and a great bridge for many players. So even though his costume design doesn't get a lot of love, about everything else about him is really well designed.

Last edited:

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Few probably have as much fondness for him as me here, but my pick is Hibike from BlazBlue Central Fiction
latest

His gameplay is just so damn fun. Unfortunately he never made it over to BBCTB

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside how overpowered she was when first introduced, Kokonoe's control over gravity to push and pull the opponent and several of her own attacks makes for one of the most interesting playstyles in the genre for me.

Also from Blazblue, Amane. Take a Dhalsim style zoner and give him a mechanic that turns him into a rushdown character that melts healthbars with just chip damage is an incredibly fun dynamic.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Laura main, I actually agree 100%. I rock her battle costume mostly. Battle costume, volleyball, and track suit are my main rotation.

Yeah, I just feel like that nuance is lost when talking about some characters.

Few probably have as much fondness for him as me here, but my pick is Hibike from BlazBlue Central Fiction
latest

His gameplay is just so damn fun. Unfortunately he never made it over to BBCTB

I love him. One of the dopest ninja archetypes ever.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah I'm such a fool, I had my mind caught up on traditional fighters that I almost forgot;

Ha40SQQ.png

Min Min!

By far what I consider the best design in ARMS, and a generally fun, simple character to play, while also being just adapted into a crazy package of tricky stuff in Smash.

What I love about her is how she evokes some stellar iconography in both overt and subtle ways. The trick to really effective character design I've found is to really zero in on a certain associated imagery, then iterate upon it until it sticks in multiple corners. Min Min is associated with two things; ramen and dragon iconography. This blend of imagery reflects on her asymmetrical ARMS designs; one of her ARMS is composed of appendages resembling noodles, whereas her other transforms into a supercharged dragon. This gives her a wonderfully distinct half-and-half imagery which no other fighter in the cast has, and fittingly, it's actually evocative of how ARMS usually plays in practice as well - by mixing and matching ARMS loadouts of your choice. Yet Min Min is the only one who boasts this straight on the cover, and it makes her stand out among the crowd.

This iconography naturally also manifests in the surface design as well. On her shoulder, she carries narutomaki charms as embellishments. The logo that adorns her chest is the Chinese character "éşş" (men) which means noodle. You can even find this on the sole of her shoes, along with a dragon design, showing how the designers left no stone unturned in getting as much out of her traits as possible despite her easygoing design. Her sporty attire conveys her martial arts style. Even her hair resembles noodles, and her cool looking beanie resembles a ramen bowl. What I love about all that is how her details subconsciously contribute to how effectively the design comes together and makes you wonder how much of these well-thought out traits are responsible for that first impression. Orange/green is also a perfect color combo for her, though her alternate palettes deserve special credit for being so good that I almost never know which one I want to go with. All of this also helps contribute to her being one of the most animated characters in ARMS, being one of the few characters to employ kicks in combat and really opening up her mobility. Her down-to-earth personality of simply competing to support her family's restaurant is also just really admirable. In the ARMS universe she is the equivalent of a bad ass normal, and she's one of the most lovable characters because of it.

Easily perhaps my favorite fighting game character holistically. I had this character as my avatar for so long and I suspect I'll return to her soon.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Like all of Strives new Characters.
Pokken's roster is full of fun references and characters that nobody expected.
Fighting Herds for having a roster entirely of 4 legged characters and making that work.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well if the cut off is 2008, I gotta throw in my Amaterasu from MvC3 of course.

QuarterlyClosedCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

I'd be remiss not to mention my favourite Arc Sys FIghting game character as well. Not from Guilty Gear, Not from Blazblue, Not from Dragon Ball either. Gotta be the Lethal Elevator Attendant herself. Elizabeth from Persona 4 Arena

images

And to wrap things up, since this was 2008 as well. Any of these 3 characters here as well.

ae4.gif

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Anubis "Doggie" Cruger from Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is a licensed character, but technically new to fighting games. I dig his ranger suit and he has a fun play style. Apparently he's some kind of lizard dog man under the helmet.
OJQuJIx.png

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Anubis "Doggie" Cruger from Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is a licensed character, but technically new to fighting games. I dig his ranger suit and he has a fun play style. Apparently he's some kind of lizard dog man under the helmet.
OJQuJIx.png

This counts on some level. Battle for the Grid needs so much more non-MM representation, espcially from the Disney Era.

And yes, the roster is pretty diverse on some levels, but I am looking for more from the Era Anubis was from.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I know he's older than 2008 but his redesign (hairdo) was certainly something..at first I hated it but it certainly has grown on me a lot .. Also as you said G is cool AF

TEvKCEl.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some characters are blessed with having a cool personality, neat character design, and fun/awesome-looking moveset.

My pick is not one of those lol.

ed.png

SFV's Ed has an awful default design (I exclusively use an alternate outfit), but I love his general moveset and find him great fun to use. His easy input design is also a plus, I don't have to deal with any complicated motions and his combos are on the whole easy to execute in terms of timing. His cocky nature is take it or leave it but I really like how so many of his attacks have a built-in taunt at the end. Sometimes I let the animation run just for the fun of it lol.

oDQh6oT.gif

I can only hope he returns for SFVI with a revamped look.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Some characters are blessed with having a cool personality, neat character design, and fun/awesome-looking moveset.

My pick is not one of those lol.

ed.png

SFV's Ed has an awful default design (I exclusively use an alternate outfit), but I love his general moveset and find him great fun to use. His easy input design is also a plus, I don't have to deal with any complicated motions and his combos are on the whole easy to execute in terms of timing. His cocky nature is take it or leave it but I really like how so many of his attacks have a built-in taunt at the end. Sometimes I let the animation run just for the fun of it lol.

oDQh6oT.gif

I can only hope he returns for SFVI with a revamped look.
Dimitri Ed is my favorite.
001.png