• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on ear shape, but I never liked regular ear buds for exercising. They fall out. I prefer something with a ear hook.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
Currently rocking the Bose noise cancelling Soundsports. They are excellent.

I tried the last-generation Sony noise canceling buds but felt they slipped out too easy during exercise. I've heard this generation is much better but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I like the Jabra Active series. I have a 65T but I think they're up to 75T now. They work great for running, but I can't speak to sports that might have more twisting, jumping, and contact with other players, like basketball.

If you play basketball, don't you need to listen to other players? I certainly wouldn't try to play soccer with earbuds.

Jakeobb

Jun 24, 2021
I am also interested in this as well but would like to slightly hijack and ask audioera what the airpod style of earbuds are called. I dont like the little rubber pieces that most buds use.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on ear shape, but I never liked regular ear buds for exercising. They fall out. I prefer something with a ear hook.

Earbuds that allow you to remove the plastic tip are customizable. I'd recommend buying foam tips off Amazon instead of the plastic ones. More friction.

At any rate for the OP - most major brands are OK from my prior research, just make sure you can adjust the tip for your ear shape in case they don't fit well. I've never used airpods since I don't have iphones, but their wired headphones never fit me, and I'd fear airpods for that reason.

I use Jabra earbuds but I don't have experience with others honestly. I like them, but my right ear was always loose, so I bought new tips for them. They work great for exercising and swimming. Although, audio goes out from Bluetooth when an earbud goes fully under water. My phone's not water proof so maybe distance from phone impacts that. Not sure

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Jabra Elite Active 75t.

I've been running in them for years (including 65s before) and they've never fallen out. Very good sound quality, they have ANC and they don't egregiously protrude like other earbuds.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit partial to the Samsung Buds (or Buds+). They're one of the better sounding wireless earbuds, they have some water resistance (should be fine for exercising provided you aren't doing so during a tropical storm), pretty good battery life and the case is small enough to fit in that small jean pocket that no one uses. More importantly, they're small and comfortable and have never fallen out of my ears. I use them with some small hybrid Sony eartips which provide good isolation and comfort.

The Sony EP-EX11 are a good option, Comply tips are also good but the creme de la creme are the EP-TC50 if you want the best of both worlds: isolation and comfort.

Depending on where you live, you can also get them for fairly cheap. Don't be too picky about whether or not they are the + model or the original one, they both sound very similar, the + just slightly different tuning with a bit more emphasis on the high frequencies but either one sounds fairly good even when compared to my expensive $200ish Sony earbuds.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jabra Elite Active 75t.

I've been running in them for years (including 65s before) and they've never fallen out. Very good sound quality, they have ANC and they don't egregiously protrude like other earbuds.
My GF and I both have these. On my set, I seem to get a bit of very light distortion in the left ear (it happens with certain voices, like Andrew Bird's), but hers apparently work great.

They've never fallen out of either of our ears and even with the distortion it's hard to argue that they aren't a good deal if you catch them for 99 like we did.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Earbuds that allow you to remove the plastic tip are customizable. I'd recommend buying foam tips off Amazon instead of the plastic ones. More friction.
At any rate for the OP - most major brands are OK from my prior research, just make sure you can adjust the tip for your ear shape in case they don't fit well. I've never used airpods since I don't have iphones, but their wired headphones never fit me, and I'd fear airpods for that reason.
I use Jabra earbuds but I don't have experience with others honestly. I like them, but my right ear was always loose, so I bought new tips for them. They work great for exercising and swimming. Although, audio goes out from Bluetooth when an earbud goes fully under water. My phone's not water proof so maybe distance from phone impacts that. Not sure
I don't know how anyone could wear in-ears when exercising or playing a sport.
When running/jumping around, I'd be worrying about popping an eardrum from the pressure in my ears. It's one of the reasons I hate IEMs - I feel every step as I'm walking when wearing them.
And foam tips never lasted me when exercising because they disintegrate from sweat (official Comply tips, too).

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could wear in-ears when exercising or playing a sport.
When running/jumping around, I'd be worrying about popping an eardrum from the pressure in my ears. It's one of the reasons I hate IEMs - I feel every step as I'm walking when wearing them.
And foam tips never lasted me when exercising because they disintegrate from sweat (official Comply tips, too).

You probably just exercise way harder :) I swim, use weights and do light cardio ~3 days per week. Works for me. But YMMV for everybody depending on exercises and ear shape / fit.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had an issue working out with Airpod Pros, other than sweat getting into my ear occasionally, but I also think regular Apple earbuds fit great so that's just me. Powerbeats Pro sound good and fit great and will stay securely attached no matter what you're doing.

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing the Sony WF-SP800N were really good sport true wireless earbuds. I think they might be discontinued so you might be able to find them cheaper in some places. I have the XM3s and love them, but want to try the XM4s too. Hoping for a sale for X-Mas!

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Jabra Elite Active 75t.

I agree I've been loving them and they are just so comfortable, the ANC is really handy for gym.

At the same time I been always amazed by what magic apple AirPods have I ran multiple marathons with them, they are extremely comfortable but not super sweat proof so they end dying from you working out with them... Would not recommend them for sport but I did wanted to share how surreal is how they just stick to your ears.

May 14, 2021
I use AirPods second generation with add on silicone ear tips. They don't move at all and they improve the sound of the AirPods from tinny/crappy to acceptable.

BarefootTea

Oct 27, 2017
For running, I prefer something like bone conduction earphones as they don't build up pressure in the ears (nothing goes in the ear) & you can hear the environment around you.

I recently got the highly rated AfterShokz Aeropex headphones and they have been great so far: https://us.aftershokz.com/

Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Open-Ear-Wireless-Conduction-Headphones/dp/B07RQLRV7Q/

They are comfortable on the head and IP67 waterproof rated so I can sweat a lot or run in the rain without issue.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
aftershokz for outdoor stuff since i want to be aware of my surroundings but i love my $55 1st gen amazon buds for everything else. never leaves my ears and has enough ANC for me and still kicking.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Only earbuds I am confident in staying in my ears when doing running or bike riding are the Galaxy Buds Live. All the others fall out and no way I'd trust them, but these? These things stay in and are comfy for hours.

I must warn though these things are wildly different depending on the person. Some people say they're uncomfortable and fall out easily, and others have the same opinion as me. I think a lot of people don't know how they properly go in ears which is part of the problem.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Aftershockz wireless bone conducting headphones are amazing for me. Cause they don't go in my ears I can be aware of what's going on around me when I'm out and about and the sound quality is pretty good.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So I got the Samsung buds2 and there's a lot to love but they don't feel secure after awhile they feel loose. Any recommendations on tips to try out? I just hope they work out :(

I used to use wired sony extra bass headphones for like 30 bucks and stayed snugged My other jlab wireless buds also came out all the time and that's why I wanted a different pair

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time seeing those bone conductor headphones. That is crazy looking. They have great reviews so they must be pretty good, but frankly I have a really hard time believing they actually sound good.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I must have the weirdest fuckin ear shape because I hate my jabra elite actives. They fall out when I: -hold my head a little bit sideways -chew -talk -walk -nod -turn my head

I've tried all the ear tip sizes that come with it and it's absolutely due to the shape of the actual bud in my ear.

BarefootTea

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first time seeing those bone conductor headphones. That is crazy looking. They have great reviews so they must be pretty good, but frankly I have a really hard time believing they actually sound good.

The sound quality is pretty decent. Because it's bone conduction, the bass is less than it would be on other audiophile headphones. That said, I listened to "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes and it still sounded decent, I still heard bass just not as much as on my Sennheiser headphones. It's said that the sound range is optimized for human voice range so many people especially enjoy listening to podcasts.

Part of the draw of the bone conduction is decent sound while still hearing your surroundings in locations where safety demands situational awareness. These won't fall off your head white doing things like running.

Do people hear what you're listening to? (Say I would be using them at the gym(

I don't listen to music at max volume but when I ask others around me if they can hear what I'm listening to they say no. My spouse also has a pair, I can't hear what he's playing when using them. Some reviews on YouTube do say that there might be some sound leakage at max volume, but in general the sound tends to be loud enough through these headphones to not need max volume.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Wish they'd update the Powerbeats Pros with ANC. They'd be perfect imo

BarefootTea

Oct 27, 2017
Which model would you guys recommend? Prices are all over the place and many units seem to suffer from poor sound quality if reviews are to be believed

I've rounded up some bone conduction headphone reviews. In general, Aftershokz Aeropex tends to be at the top of the lists followed by other Aftershokz models.

www.techradar.com

The best bone conduction headphones 2024: Ears-free listening for sports, calls & more

Stay aware with the best bone conduction headphones
1. Aftershokz Aeropex
The best bone conducting headphones you can buy
2. Aftershokz Trekz Air
So comfy, you'll forget you're wearing them
3. Vidonn F3
Lightweight headphones for working out
4. Aftershokz Xtrainerz
Ideal for swimming, less so other purposes
5. Tayogo Bone Conduction headphones
An excellent budget option

gearjunkie.com

The Best Bone Conduction Headphones of 2024

Rock out to your playlist while staying aware of your surroundings. These are the best bone conduction headphones of 2024.
Best Overall: AfterShokz Aeropex
Runner-Up Best Overall: AfterShokz Air
Best Budget: Tayogo Bone Conduction Headphones
Best Value: AfterShokz Titanium
Best Waterproof for Swimming: AfterShokz Xtrainerz
Best for the Rugged: Pyle Bone Conduction Headphones
Best of the Rest: Vidonn F1 Titanium

www.headphonesty.com

10 Best Bone Conduction Headphones [2023]

Do you want a pair of headphones that doesn't block your ear? We compiled a list of the best bone conduction headphones that you can buy in 2023.
Top pick, Editor's pick, best technical specs: Aftershokz Aeropex
Runner-up: Aftershokz OpenMove
Budget Pick #1: MilanSo Bone Conduction Headphones
Budget Pick #2: Tayogo S2
Best for kids: Oaxis myFirst Headphone BC
Most durable: KppeX BH528
Best for small heads: AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Mini
Vidonn F1 Titanium
Pyle PSWBT550
Zulu Exero
Aftershokz Trekz Air
Genso's Bone Conduction Headphone
Aftershokz Trekz Titanium

www.soundguys.com

Best bone conduction headphones

Bone conduction headphones are niche in the audio community, but they serve their purpose. Let's see which headset best fits your sport.
9.2: Aftershokz Aeropex
9.2: Aftershokz Air
9.0: Aftershokz OpenMove
8.0: Vidonn F1
7.6: HPTCCC Waterproof Bone Conduction

www.audioreputation.com

13 Best Bone Conduction Headphones 2024 - AudioReputation

Our article on 13 best bone conduction headphones in 2024 is designed to answer all the questions about bone conduction technology.
1. AfterShokz Aeropex Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones with Sport Belt
2. AfterShokz Air AS650MB Open Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
3. AfterShokz Titanium AS600OB Open Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
4. Vidonn F1 Bone Conduction Headphones Bluetooth V5.0
5. WGP Open Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
6. AfterShokz Bluez 2S Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
7. COMPLEX Open Ear Bone Conduction Headphones by Pyle USA
8. Tayogo Bone Conduction Headphones with Microphone Bluetooth 5.0
9. AfterShokz Sportz Titanium AS401LR Wired Bone Conduction Headphones
10. Sandoo Bone Conduction Headphones Bluetooth 5.0
11. AfterShokz Xtrainerz Open-Ear MP3 Bone Conduction Wireless Sport Headphones
12. AKASO Bone Conduction Headphones Open Ear Wireless Headphones with Bluetooth 5.0

www.menshealth.com

The 7 Best Bone Conduction Headphones for Any Workout

Hear us out: you don’t want to miss these high-tech hits.
Bose Frames Tempo (sport audio sunglasses)
AfterShokz Aeropex Bone Conduction Headphones
AfterShokz Trekz Air Bone Conduction Headphones
Aftershokz Titanium Bone Conduction Headphones
Pyle Bone Conduction Headphones
Vidonn F1 Titanium Bone Conduction Headphones
Tayogo Bone Conduction Swimming Headphones

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I go for conducting earphones OP. They do have audio spill and the sound quality is only "ok" but the main thing is I like to still be able to hear my surroundings especially when crossing roads or listening out for hazards and they provide that.

If not have a look at dankpods YouTube channel, he's an audiophile so may have some good recommendations. I think I remember him recommending some Tartronics ones off Amazon as a "cheap but a million times better than raycons" area.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My AirPods Pro with memory foam ear tips don't move one bit during workouts. Wouldn't buy them without an iPhone though I think.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Been using the Powerbeats Pro for 2 years now.

ktVD5FGtut6FphZ22yxn5T.jpg

Used to always worry about earbuds falling out, but never have to worry with these. Work perfectly with the iPhone (basically same as the AirPods in how they work).

I have had a couple of technical issues with them syncing sometimes which is annoying, but a handful of times over 2 years. Otherwise no reservations.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My GF and I both have these. On my set, I seem to get a bit of very light distortion in the left ear (it happens with certain voices, like Andrew Bird's), but hers apparently work great.

They've never fallen out of either of our ears and even with the distortion it's hard to argue that they aren't a good deal if you catch them for 99 like we did.
I bought a refurb pair I think? I honestly couldn't tell if they were or not paid of the 75t for like 60. They're pretty excellent connect with multiple devices, have great sound, however nothing has ever matched the comfort of the original galaxy buds for me. I have very tiny ear canals and everything but the buds seems to hurt.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Used the Powerbeats for around a year some years ago - they were okayish, sound quality was rather poor.
Bought the Jabra Elite 65t active after that and liked them very much. The fit is pretty good as is the sound quality. Lost the left earbud while biking twice though.
Bought the Sony WF-1000XM4 a few weeks ago and so far I really like them. Great sound quality, good noise cancelling and they sit very firm in my ears (no problems with biking).

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bought the brand new Beats Studio Buds and they're the most comfortable and secure in-ears I've used. Feels completely safe when I'm longboarding. Not sure about tennis and obviously everyone's ears are different but they're definitely worth looking at

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I use the WF-1000XM4 when in the gym, normally listening to podcasts (currently still catching up on James Bonding), and despite the fairly loud musc in the gym, I can hear everything perfectly fine, it does an impressive job reducing the ambient noise.

Bought the Sony WF-1000XM4 a few weeks ago and so far I really like them. Great sound quality, good noise cancelling and they sit very firm in my ears (no problems with biking).
I got the opposite problem, the buds are so secure, when I don't take them out carefully, the actual ear tips get stuck in my ears. Like they don't hurt me when wearing them or anything, but those things stick to my ears like glue sometimes.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good place to ask, I'm also looking for the same thing; new earbuds for all activities. Have been using a neckband set, the now discontinued Bose QC30, and want something good to replace them with since they are getting worn out.

Thing is is that I've gotten use to several of the features of the qc30 and want a suitable replacement. Good ambient pass through is a must. I use them while biking and generally whenever I'm out doing anything and actually use sound canceling far less then ambient pass through. Also because of my high level of usage long battery life is needed. Being able to control them easily is also a must since I want to be able to pause what I'm listening to without reaching for my phone. Last thing is how easy they are to take in and out without needing to fiddle with them. I'm use to IEM and how much effort they take to get in and form a proper seal and that's fine for that but not what I'm looking for in what is basically an all day headphone. The qc30 that I have has great plugs that fit well, feel solid while inserted and I can just pull in and out without any real care.

Guess this is more of a way to collect my thoughts on what I'm looking for but still any advise/suggestions would be super helpful.