• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I recently became a home owner, and I've been really trying to just wrack my brain for any and all items or appliances that might be useful or helpful in my continuous endeavor to just make my life a bit easier and save minutes to hours here and there on with handy things I may not think of.

I'm talking boring adult stuff that people never really think about until they need it, or don't realize they wanted it until they finally have it.

Fancy vacuums, kitchen appliances (yes everyone will say pressure cooker, we know), outdoors/lawn care items, smart home tech, etc.

Anything that might be useful to toss on a wish list and save some money on.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
e3b05b09facc78bad635849508bf2c3f_original.jpg

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing specific, but hardware stores usually have great deals on tool accessories and sets (drill bits, sockets, etc.)

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Garlic Press (who can be arsed faffing slicing it?).
Do you have a decent knife set? Knife sharpener?
If you drink alcohol then drinks pourers are damn useful things.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd be this person, but an air fryer. They just make food taste better.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
There are few things better than a decent sized whiteboard

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I love my larger air fryer (it's a combo air fryer/toaster oven).

Makes something's so easy. Instant spots are good, but I think this is actually better for QoL.

I'm also a huge fan of Masterbuilt brand Smokers (both the cabinet style and the gravity style). If you want to see if smoking meat/ BBQ is for you they have a very affordable entryway that also produces great results

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Electric kettle. A nice pour over electric kettle for use with an AeroPress will make you some excellent coffee with minimal effort.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Electric Panini Press
Worx tools. I have a leaf blower and edger/trimmer that I really enjoy from them. Plus you can get free spools for life. Just cost the shipping price.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Cordless vacuum cleaners are a pretty big game changer.
I got a Lodge dutch oven last year and I love it.

Electric kettle. A nice pour over electric kettle for use with an AeroPress will make you some excellent coffee with minimal effort.

Great posts and I agree. I'll also add an electric chopper (think a mini food processor) is a relatively cheap and useful gadget for onions/garlic/spices/etc

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
any recommendations for a steam cleaner? under $100 would be cool.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I love my Roomba, but only buy one that empties itself. If you skimp out there, you'll be doing it every twenty minutes if you have a pet/pets.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
A month away? Amazon is doing their Black Friday already because of the supply shortage

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Convection oven/air fryer. We got one from my mother-in-law 2 Christmases ago wonder how often we would use it.

The answer ended up being every single day that we cook.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
November 11th is Single's Day in China... their version of Black friday. If you like me I keep in an eye on Aliexpress :P

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Roborock S4 Max is the absolute GOAT vacuum for your home, especially if you have pet hair. If youre not getting a robot vacuum that has lidar mapping, then dont get one at all honestly.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Robot vacuum (I have the Roborock brand).

You will be amazed at how much dust it picks up because it can go underneath couches, beds, TV stands and places that you can't really reach with a traditional vacuum. And an unexpected side benefit, it encourages you to live neater too - before I used to leave socks and cords on the floor, now I pick them up so the vacuum won't have any obstacles.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Roborock S4 Max is the absolute GOAT vacuum for your home, especially if you have pet hair. If youre not getting a robot vacuum that has lidar mapping, then dont get one at all honestly.
Robot vacuum (I have the Roborock brand).

You will be amazed at how much dust it picks up because it can go underneath couches, beds, TV stands and places that you can't really reach with a traditional vacuum. And an unexpected side benefit, it encourages you to live neater too - before I used to leave socks and cords on the floor, now I pick them up so the vacuum won't have any obstacles.
I got a robot vacuum earlier this year. It's amazing not have to deal with vacuuming.
So I've always been a bit wary of buying one of these because I have a blind cat who will frequently miss her litter box. I'm genuinely concerned about a robot smearing that stuff around.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
I think a cordless vacuum is good for routine vacuuming every few days. Like others have said to buy some tools, like a multi kit and a drill bit set as well. If you have HVAC a wifi thermostat like ecobee or nest is a cool convenience upgrade. You can set a schedule or turn it on before you get home so you don't waste power.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Need to upgrade my toaster oven.. Looking for a air fryer/toaster oven combo. And coffee maker. Going for the Ninja coffee maker.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Instant Pot. Best Buy's Insignia brand pressure cookers are just as good (in fact they are made by Instant Pot) and go down to stupid cheap around Black Friday.

Air fryers are great too.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
hero-DZ201WBKT.jpg

Air fryers are basically mini ovens that cook stuff in half the time. This dual pot one lets me cook both a main dish and side dish together and it's amazing.

Also air fryers are the only way you can reheat french fries. Need I say more?

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
So I've always been a bit wary of buying one of these because I have a blind cat who will frequently miss her litter box. I'm genuinely concerned about a robot smearing that stuff around.

With the Roborock at least, you can set up "no go zones" and virtual invisible walls and stuff. After the first clean cycle the vacuum will have created a map of your house, then you'd go to edit map and basically just draw a rectangle around the cats litter box area and it will skip that section on all future runs.

They also have a super expensive version with a camera that does AI poop detection (lol) and tries to avoid it.

But if pets are a concern I would just not use the scheduling features, and start the vacuum manually when you're home.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
With the Roborock at least, you can set up "no go zones" and virtual invisible walls and stuff. After the first clean cycle the vacuum will have created a map of your house, then you'd go to edit map and basically just draw a rectangle around the cats litter box area and it will skip that section on all future runs.

They also have a super expensive version with a camera that does AI poop detection (lol) and tries to avoid it.

But if pets are a concern I would just not use the scheduling features, and start the vacuum manually when you're home.

Great to know thank you!

Aug 1, 2018
Some kind of air fryer. We have an Instant Omni and the oven and microwave basically don't even get used anymore.

857561008859_imageset

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
How easy is this to empty? Does it have a base station?
Super easy, open the top cover, take off the bin, then open the latch on the bin to empty it.

It has a base station that it uses to rest and charge. If your house is too large for the robot to vacuum in one go, it will go back to the base to recharge before resuming.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
any recommendations for a steam cleaner? under $100 would be cool.
Echoing this sentiment, though I kind of want a steam cleaner that's super easy to use, so cordless, easy to clean, etc. I have to use my current one very frequently for my pets and it's a huge hassle every time because I cheaped out on it.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A new L shaped desk. Maybe a toaster oven or air fryer. Looking out for a 2nd PC monitor too.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
Boiling water taps (ie quooker or similar)are great if you've got the space and budget for it.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I've been looking into the idea of digitizing all of my general life documents onto encrypted hard drives so I can shred all my papers I have in various cabinets. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent batch scanner and secure storage for said documents?