• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current 1 year treasury yield is 2%. Assuming the deal closes one year from now, and the deal is guaranteed to pass (meaning the treasury rate is the appropriate discount rate) the stock price today should be $93.

The QQQ has declined 15% since the deal was announced. Assuming this is the correct ratio for Activision (probably a bit optimistic) the stock price today would be $55.

With the current price of $76.39, that suggests a 56% chance of the deal going through. A bit more pessimistic than Hoeg.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The current 1 year treasury yield is 2%. Assuming the deal closes one year from now, and the deal is guaranteed to pass (meaning the treasury rate is the appropriate discount rate) the stock price today should be $93.

The QQQ has declined 15% since the deal was announced. Assuming this is the correct ratio for Activision (probably a bit optimistic) the stock price today would be $55.

With the current price of $76.39, that suggests a 56% chance of the deal going through. A bit more pessimistic than Hoeg.
Indeed. Nice post.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

The math is good and sound but using stock price like this is pure divination.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It's always speculation. Many current shareholders have already taken huge losses, and may want to cut their losses now fearing further losses should the deal fall through.

People would be willing to buy above 76 if they had confidence it will continue to rise above 75.
Anytime there's movement, someone is placing a bet that ends up being wrong. Someone always buys the peak and sells the dip
It was a poor article. People that wanted to make a quick buck already did when the stock jumped from $65 and change to $82.

If the Federal Reserve is talking rate hikes (small increments at a time) and some politicians are talking about higher rates to combat inflation, why would anyone be thinking about selling stock for tiny increments when there is a guaranteed payoff in a year or so?

If you are buying at above $75, you are looking to cash from Microsoft which current shareholders can already accomplish. There is a reason why the stock has gone absolutely nowhere since the mid January highs, and a reason why it has not tanked immensely even with the earnings. People are sitting on the stock for the most part.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I would be shocked if it didn't go through, and as such I doubt the deal would fall through.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but I believe you need to consider inflation as well.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
People trying to shit on Jason, and even using a weirdo gamer-gater as source to do so, is the least surprising thing ever.

One is a merger lawyer by profession and the other is a gaming journalist. You obviously take the word of the lawyer when it comes to the nuance of a merger. Not that Hoeg Law isn't capable of being wrong about things, even merger related.

Let's not exercise Jason here, his article is poor on a technical basis.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This deal failing along with the Musk twitter buyout not going forward are both net positives.

Yeah, I just read about this a few minutes ago.

Wild times.

A number of tech mergers have fallen through, or not even gotten off the ground, so it's not surprising investors are hesitant. This will face a fair amount of scrutiny before it's allowed to happen.

This too. I keep repeating how even tho Google was able to fully buy Motorola, they eventfully sold them. Not saying anti trust concerns was the only reason, but I wouldnt be shocked if it was a reason.

People trying to shit on Jason, and even using a weirdo gamer-gater as source to do so, is the least surprising thing ever.

These 2 things combined have me giving some ppl in this thread a fucking massive side eye.

InResolute

Banned
Jan 21, 2022
As somebody who is invested in $MSFT stock, it is in my best interest that this deal go through. Let's get it boys!

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Don't post Hoeg Law
This video is indefensible.

-Doesn't even acknowledge the trans community or any of the comments/action of Rowling
-Doesn't acknowledge that buying the game further funds her attacks on the trans community
-Writes off her words and actions as "a difference of opinion"
-Mocks era for suggesting that we ban discussions of the game
-Writes off gamergate harassment as a handful of bad apples that gamergate can't be held responsible for
-Pretends like conservatives are being attacked simply for being conservative and not for their bigoted views
-People with "differing opinions" just need to have a conversation! So i guess trans people just need to talk it out with JK rowling and women just need to talk it out with gamer gaters i guess?
-Shouts out neogaf
-High fives Colin Moriarty in his twitter replies to the video

My goodness.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
One is a merger lawyer by profession and the other is a gaming journalist. You obviously take the word of the lawyer when it comes to the nuance of a merger. Not that Hoeg Law isn't capable of being wrong about things, even merger related.
And if you know that lawyer's history you would know they had some questionable takes about Apple vs Samsung; Google vs Oracle lawsuits.

The last part of your post hits the nail on the head.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear - are you saying the market believes inflation will be 2% until the merger?

Like I said, I'm not an expert.
No, the current risk free 1-year rate is 2%. Using TIPS, the market expects inflation will the 5% over the next year, so the real rate is -3%. Regardless, if you want to guarantee you do not lose capital over the year, the return is 2% which is almost guaranteed to be less than inflation.

Edit, regardless the MS offer of $95 is not increasing with inflation, so 2% is the correct discount rate.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a bit strange that Jason didn't mention other things like the overall market being down, Activision recent report, a war, and inflation.
The overall market being down (which is basically war and inflation) is a reason this guaranteed large profit opportunity should be even more attractive to investors than it was in January, but for some reason it isn't.

Activision's earnings reports have little to no bearing on the price action here, when the $95 sale price is locked in.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have some A/B stock since around 2018. If this deal goes through, and ActiBliz becomes part of MS, does that stock disappear at some point?

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I like Jason, a lot, but it is pretty clear that the article is a reach or maybe the guy just doesnt know how the stock market works.

Jun 6, 2020
It's still a long way away. As time goes on that difference might shrink. There's always uncertainty but the merger is still over a year away if it happens.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Plenty of mergers fail for many reasons. While I think this one will go through it is dumb to think that acquisitions that have been announced always go through: List of largest failed mergers.
People keep posting comments like this as if it's a clever point but apparently don't look at the contents of the list. The bulk of failed mega-mergers are in pharma, telecoms and manufacturing industries with much clearer indices of market capture.

The proper comparison is to similarly situated tech and entertainment companies, and frankly idk how even the FTC can look at its own review of Fox/Disney and the specifics of this deal and somehow deduce a different result given the markets involved absent a rapid sea change in their approach or the underlying law.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
If this deal falls through, I'm worried about the mental wellbeing of that corporate bootlicker on Twitter who practically obsesses over designing Xbox studio banners.

funnyfkycu.gif

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao Acquiescense pushing buttons again. To great success no less.
My spider-sense says the deal will go through, but then again I don't actually know about any of the inner workings in play.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It'll be nice to get the shareholder vote over with today so the deal will be one step closer to going through and we can stop getting clickbait articles like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.