• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, this is really exciting stuff, must remember to keep expectations grounded. Full force of MS indeed.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Exciting times ahead - glad to see an American player in the game with super heavy resources behind it.

Oct 27, 2017
A two SKU strategy with major differences would be a disaster. There would be no point in the more expensive SKU if games are required to run on the less expensive one.

This gen we saw games with items that took up the same amount of RAM that a 360 had in entirety (Batmobile used 500MB, 360 had only 512MB) and next gen would be gimped for 5-6 years if devs were forced to support 1X level hardware until 2026.

Edit: it was not my intention to come across so strongly or provoke anyone . I apologize and will remove myself from this discussion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im more interested in which way they will fail mainland Europe this time again. Will we be dirty tier 2 peasants again? Will we even get xCloud?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Just read that, some of that stuff sounds almost like an overkill of consoles and ideas. Roma, Maverick etc.

All I wanna know is will the successor to the X be the most powerful console on the market when faced agains the next Playstation.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im more interested in which way they will fail mainland Europe this time again. Will we be dirty tier 2 peasants again?
Not gonna happen, Infact, nothing from Matrick Xbox one strategy will be looked upon as a blueprint to launch a console.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
how many skus they want to launch? I m a hardcore gamer and I m a bit confused now .what's gonna happen to average casual gamer with all these consoles under the new family ?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Roma
Maverick
Anaconda
Scarlett
Lockhart
Danta
Anthem
Cincinnati

I wonder what code name they got for their VR/AR/MR device?

Interesting...This is all really exciting. Hype levels rising. MS going all out Hardware and Software...Next gen will be huge. I'm there day on

On the software side of things, Microsoft is working on what it calls GameCore that will benefit both PC and Xbox gamers. The goal of this feature is to make it easier for developers to build games faster and have more built-in functionality out of the dev kit box.

GameCore is the evolution of the UWP platform and is going to help Microsoft eventually start building container-based apps. GameCore will make it significantly easier for developers to utilize Xbox services on both PC and the Xbox and should provide for higher levels of performance with lower-level system access and control of hardware assets.
I'm so interested in this.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hope that they don't go full SEGA with the Mars, Saturn, Neptune and I forgot other names used in that era

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
how many skus they want to launch? I m a hardcore gamer and I m a bit confused now .what's gonna happen to average casual gamer with all these consoles under the new family ?
From what's being said in the video, 2 SKUs at launch with one being priced low-entry ($299-$349) and one being priced premium ($399-$499).

Low-entry one will have Xbox One X-like specs but still have next gen architecture if I understood right.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Selling a gimped version of a console out the gate is a bad strategy. Sure it hits a price point, but it's always going to be seen as an inferior, less attractive, product.

Both Sony and Microsoft will sell well for the first year of brand alone and neither of them needs to chase the price conscious consumers out of the gate.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
This just seems like ms throwing a lot of stuff at the wall to throw off the competition

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
A two SKU strategy with major differences would be a disaster. There would be no point in the more expensive SKU if games are required to run on the less expensive one.

This gen we saw games with items that took up the same amount of RAM that a 360 had in entirety (Batmobile used 500MB, 360 had only 512MB) and next gen would be gimped for 5-6 years if devs were forced to support 1X level hardware until 2026.
I would have to give them some benefit of the doubt in this regard since this isn't their first foray into console hardware design. Their hardware engineers have likely had the same thought as you and I would imagine that they will at least attempt to bottleneck the budget console in such a way as to perhaps limit frame rate or resolution without impacting overall game design

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking j-lo and join voight anaconda or lake placid vs anaconda? This is an important distinction.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I read 6 different names , each doing something different .one disckless, one streaming , two regular console and another one .lol I LL check again .sorry if I misread the article .
As of right now, there are two being planned, Anaconda (which others have noted as well) and Lockhart, which is an 'arcade' version of Anaconda.
Microsoft refers to Anaconda as Scarlett Pro and Lockhart as Scarlett Arcade. Think of Lockhart as the successor to the Xbox One S, whereas Anaconda is the successor to the Xbox One X.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
499 max and u can bet on it .Sony did 600 coming off most successful home console ever and faltered pretty hard.no one will touch that price ever again in console space .
Plenty of hardcore gamers would. That's why the lower spec version exists. Also expect payment / sub plans for those that want to pay over time.

Industry is completely different from back then.

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they gave different code names to a bunch of people to catch the leaker only to find that all the code names have leaked

Oct 27, 2017
I would have to give them some benefit of the doubt in this regard since this isn't their first foray into console hardware design. Their hardware engineers have likely had the same thought as you and I would imagine that they will at least attempt to bottleneck the budget console in such a way as to perhaps limit frame rate or resolution without impacting overall game design
That doesn't mean they won't make obvious mistakes just because they have experience. Sega, PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox all do.

This the same company that shipped the 360 early despite RRoD and who thought the original Xbox One DRM policies would be met well by consumers. Not even mentioning the gaffes they've made with Windows, Zune, Mobile, Office, etc over the years

Just because they do have the experience to not make these mistakes doesn't mean they won't still make those mistakes

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy codenames! This certainly clears up some of my confusion though. Seems like the two SKU thing is really happening and that the lesser SKU is not the streaming device. Interesting and smart that the streaming device is further out, but I'll be damned if I'm not confused about these two SKU's.

I'll remain skeptical until we see it, but I agree that it seems worrisome.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Good Lord, how am I supposed to be able to keep track of all 2 of those consoles?! Low end, high end...what does it all mean?