• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
This leaves the cup head/ori on switch rumors for this year left
Yeah, I do believe this is still happening, they are just being developed on the console, not to be streamed like all of this originally started. Streaming will be left out for down the road, when Nintendo gets better tech and Internet is more accesible to more people.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Of course. I don't understand why Nintendo would undercut their own third party sales with this.

I can definitely see some of the smaller indie MS published titles making it to Switch. The collaboration didn't need to be any bigger than that to still be significant

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That seems pretty obvious. Microsoft hasn't even announced an xCloud version of Game Pass yet.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I asked a couple of People Who Would Know when the Switch/GamePass rumor started circulating and got responses amounting to "I haven't heard of anything like that." As I said on this week's Kotaku Splitscreen (which you can find on your favorite podcast app), I'm still pretty skeptical of this rumor. Nobody has told me "No, this isn't happening," but said People Who Would Know probably would've been briefed if it were in the works any time soon.

That's not me definitively saying "It's not happening" -- if I could confidently report that, it'd be on Kotaku -- but I'm skeptical of the rumors, especially since many of them appear to have originated from similar (ResetEra-related) circles.

Ori on Switch, on the other hand, I fully expect to be announced at E3 if not sooner.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm not surprised. I know Microsoft wants GamePass on everything, but I have to feel like putting it on Switch benefits Nintendo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Microsoft in the grand scheme of things, and MS is probably trying to figure out a way to do it that makes the benefits more even or favor them.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like you posted before me. This is what he said, if you need it for the OP.

"There has been a lot of talk out there about Game Pass on the Switch. I'm hearing from multiple sources that is not happening. Let me qualify, that is definitely not happening in the near term. I can't ever say never, because Microsoft wants Game Pass on TV's, they want it on PC's, they want it on Xbox, they want it everywhere with their XCloud stuff, but as of right now I am hearing from multiple people that it isn't coming to the Switch. Obviously things could change and all that good stuff, but yeah don't expect Game Pass on the Switch anytime soon. At least that is what I'm hearing."
Thank you.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I can imagine Microsoft basically promising Nintendo whatever they want in order to get this to happen and that might be where all the other rumors came from

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the dates didn't really line up with what Brad Sams had initially and since the rumor really started picking up. Perhaps it's just much further off as they are working together on something like Sams was saying last week.

There's nothing really new in the video so I figured this was better served to be posted here rather than a new thread.

Video is Brad Sams' impressions of the current Nintendo Rumors. There's nothing really juicy here as he admits right away in the video
  • Brad Sams says he knows the two companies are working on something together, but does not know for certain what that is.
  • Doesn't see the companies as competitors.
  • Gamepass is something Microsoft wants on everything. Ball would be in Nintendo's court.
  • Brings up some hypotheticals like MS doing work on Nintendo's online service, old Nintendo games on Xbox.
  • Does not think native ports like Gears of War on Switch is happening. Brad Sams believes those are dependent on xCloud.
  • This is either happening soon (in testing) or it's long off as contracts and deals are made.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
A few weeks ago I prodded various people regarding this, and nobody heard about Gamepass on Switch.

Only thing that seemed legit about the MS/Nintendo rumor is "Ori" coming to switch.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I asked a couple of People Who Would Know when the Switch/GamePass rumor started circulating and got responses amounting to "I haven't heard of anything like that." As I said on this week's Kotaku Splitscreen (which you can find on your favorite podcast app), I'm still pretty skeptical of this rumor. Nobody has told me "No, this isn't happening," but said People Who Would Know probably would've been briefed if it were in the works any time soon.

That's not me definitively saying "It's not happening" -- if I could confidently report that, it'd be on Kotaku -- but I'm skeptical of the rumors, especially since many of them appear to have originated from similar (ResetEra-related) circles.

Ori on Switch, on the other hand, I fully expect to be announced at E3 if not sooner.

So what I'm getting from this is that the Game Pass rumor is a matter of Era -> Internet -> Era.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
But I was called out and ridiculed when I doubted this. Apparently natedrake isn't flawless eh?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait a little longer for the Nintendo+MS combo that will take down the PlayStation division next gen
/s

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confusing rumors, lol. I hope it happens eventually, though since xCloud will be on my mobile, the lack of Switch isn't that grave.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did a single source rumour gain such traction any way? I was surprised at how much coverage this got.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
It never made sense to me. Why would anyone with a closed platform (Nintendo, Apple, ...) agree to have a competing store on their platform? Because that's what Xcloud basically is.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo plans to get into the service game I don't see how they will ever allow gamepass on their platform.

Oct 25, 2017
We've seen a couple teases from insiders that at least MS wants it on switch. Maybe Nintendo said no, thought it seemed like a bad deal for them but the rumor saying it was potentially happening made me think that they came to a deal that'll benefit both.

We'll probably see at e3

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Rumors combatting rumors, the next year and a half will be fun.

Sucks for Switch owners, would have been a cool option.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anyone expected it sooner than 2020 and close to Scarlett release anyway.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's a shame, would have been a game industry-changer of an idea

i'll still take cuphead on my switch tho thanks

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an eventuality, and I'm not sure there's anything other than a hard confirmation from Nintendo or MS that can convince me otherwise.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Also don't find this surprising. Fist of all assuming that Game Pass would include the xCloud service is pushing it. There is no way that MS will offer the xCloud service for less than $20 a month and they will likely end up charging even more for newer games which is what some publishers that stream games already do for the Switch in Japan. Not to mention that people pay full price for those games which amounts to just a rental over the course of a year or two.

If anything I can see MS adopting that model as well. Have people pay $60 for Halo on the eShop and allow them to play the game for 2 years. Again nothing close to being Game Pass.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this rumor seemed a bit out there, Nintendo would've been giving far too much power to Microsoft. I can see select ports though, and Xbox Live integration in those ports.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
How the hell does such a rumor start then?

Wishful thinking, and some partial desire to "stick it to Sony" I suppose.

Sony doesn't want subscription services like EA Access on the PS4 because it decreases the number of games people actually buy (therefore reducing royalty fees). I'm not sure why Nintendo would think differently since the vast majority of their sales are for 1st party games.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I have no problem believing that MS wants Game Pass everywhere. But, I still don't see what Nintendo would get out of allowing it on the Switch. All it would do is take away from their own software sales. Does that sound like something Nintendo would be ok with? Because it sure doesn't to me.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ori still makes sense as a testbed for the XDK on Switch though as Jez was saying he heard. I figure we'll be seeing that around GDC/PAX this month if so.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen a couple teases from insiders that at least MS wants it on switch. Maybe Nintendo said no, thought it seemed like a bad deal for them but the rumor saying it was potentially happening made me think that they came to a deal that'll benefit both.

We'll probably see at e3
MS wants alot of things.
For some reason the people spreading the rumor are ready to drink all the Kool Aid when it comes to MS.

They are still struggling in most markets outside US and UK - yet we have a bunch of articles predicting them to dominate Next-Gen just like that lol.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I thought this rumor seemed a bit out there, Nintendo would've been giving far too much power to Microsoft. I can see select ports though, and Xbox Live integration in those ports.

Exactly. Why would Nintendo help Microsoft to become the Netflix of gaming? They are probably working on their own subscription service.

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
xCloud is not ready. So that makes sense.

I suspect the PlayAnywhere program will extend to Nintendo Switch with select titles (Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead) before GamePass does.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
back when the first rumor came up, like half the nintendo insiders on era confirmed it, now this rumor is coming up and everyone is saying they didnt hear anything? how does that even work?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, no fucking duh. It's like everyone just forgot Nintendo's decades of consistent nature just because they are open to cross-play.