• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
She's been in the news a lot lately and it seems that all I see is that she's trying to get out from under the control of her father. How exactly did it get to a point where she's constantly having to fight with the courts to do this? I know she had problems in the past but clearly I'm missing a lot. Why has her father been able to keep such control well into her adult life?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
She's been in the news a lot lately and it seems that all I see is that she's trying to get out from under the control of her father. How exactly did it get to a point where she's constantly having to fight with the courts to do this? I know she had problems in the past but clearly I'm missing a lot. Why has her father been able to keep such control well into her adult life?

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
There's been quite a few threads here about what's going on with her and her father lately.

A lot of it revolves around her mental illness diagnosis from way back allowing her father to basically become the sole owner of her finances and day-to-day life. Her father is a shitty person. The courts don't want to replace her father with someone Britney actually wants.

www.resetera.com

Britney Spears breaks her silence in court News

After being in a conservatorship for over a decade, and lots of rumors circulating for the last few years along with the #FreeBritney movement, Britney has finally spoken out and made it clear that she feels the conservatorship is abusive and she wants it to end. The hearing is still going on...

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So is this basically a situation where she voluntarily gave him control and is now trying to correct that mistake... and they won't let her for w/e reason?

She didn't voluntarily give control. She had a mental break, she couldn't take care of herself or her kids.
edit: She's come a long way since that happened.
Pretty good summary from a lawyer:

Apr 12, 2021
Take your pick.

www.womenshealthmag.com

Britney Spears Is Finally Free After A 13-Year Conservatorship

"History was made today. Britney is Free! ❤️"

www.insider.com

A complete timeline of Britney Spears' conservatorship

Between 2008 and 2021, the singer's estate and finances were under the control of her father, Jamie Spears.

Long story short, it was to protect her from making bad decisions after her public meltdown (?). Somewhere along the line, it got past the point of protecting her and pretty much comes across as abuse and a human rights violation.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There's a documentary on Hulu called Framing Britney Spears that gets into the history of it. It's maddening. I was never really into Britney and her personal life so I wasn't aware of this-but by the time this doc is over you are 100% sympathetic for her and everything she's been put through. It's absolutely criminal.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The tl;dr is that around like 2010 I believe she was in a very abusive relationship with her then boyfriend who alongside her former manager were both manipulating her and drugging her this eventually culminated into a series of manic episodes where spears lashed out and had very public meltdowns. She was placed on a mental wellness hold as a result and then eventually placed under a conservatorship which her father was deemed the person in charge of. He has also been an absolute bastard and used her wealth to his advantage keeping her under his thumb for the last ten or so years as a result. She has proved herself to be more than mentally capable and is trying to get the courts to dissolve the conservatorship so she can reclaim her personal wealth and life back.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically after that period where she had mental health problems she got put in a conservatorship where her father is in charge of her life, and due to a series of neglectful/corrupt events from various legal parties she's STILL under that, and it's led to all sorts of horrifying things like not being allowed to have her iud removed, iirc.

And since her father is a shitbag and she's basically being held captive from a legal standpoint everyone is very pissed

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
There's been quite a few threads here about what's going on with her and her father lately.

A lot of it revolves around her mental illness diagnosis from way back allowing her father to basically become the sole owner of her finances and day-to-day life. Her father is a shitty person. The courts don't want to replace her father with someone Britney actually wants.

www.resetera.com

Britney Spears breaks her silence in court News

After being in a conservatorship for over a decade, and lots of rumors circulating for the last few years along with the #FreeBritney movement, Britney has finally spoken out and made it clear that she feels the conservatorship is abusive and she wants it to end. The hearing is still going on...
I guess that's where I'm confused and I'll read up the links provided, but how can they not take her desires into account or they must still feel she's not of sound mind to make that decision? Or the system is possibly corrupt and/or her father has great lawyers that are clearly not working in her best interests... or at least that's the way it seem to me to be framed.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's where I'm confused and I'll read up the links provided, but how can they not take her desires into account or they must still feel she's not of sound mind to make that decision? Or the system is possibly corrupt and/or her father has great lawyers that are clearly not working in her best interests... or at least that's the way it seem to me to be framed.

The previous lawyer for her was literally hired by her dad, and he has full rights to deny her firing him. The Lawyer is literally being paid by Britney through her father to force Britney to retain conservator ship so she can continue to get abused by him. Only now with recent court decision she has been allowed to hire her own lawyer of her choosing. The damn guy didn't even let her know that she had the right to file for an end to the conservator ship for ten plus years.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

Thanks for posting that. Just finished listening/reading all of that.

So many parts of that I wanted to quote and then talk about here but there are far too many of them now that I'm done.

It absolutely amazes me how quickly it seems the conservatorship was given to Jamie and the lawyer from the court in the beginning. And then to read about how she was going to be sued if she didn't follow through with her commitment to perform... wtf? So she's clearly able to release an album, perform her shows but can't get access to an attorney and have a phone. I'm so confused.

It is interesting to read that supposedly she only had a few million dollars around the time of the start of the conservatorship and recently an estimate of 60 million? At least she's still acquiring wealth but how good is that if you only get access to $2k/week no matter how much you make.

Unless it was in there and I already forgot, I'm surprised that it's gone this long and they don't have to evaluate her need to still be under the conservatorship on an annual basis or at the very least every few years. I guess a quick 'fail' from a psychologist is all that's needed? What a terrible situation all around. I don't even like to think what her kids think about this as they're now old enough to start processing what has been going on these past 13+ years.