• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era, I come to you with a conundrum.

I am amidst car buying at the moment after recently giving my previous car to a family member, and I am undecided between getting something that has AWD vs. not.

I currently live in Northern California, and a decent bit of treks I do over the winter (such as to Tahoe or Mt. Shasta) often involves snow conditions, but where I live (SF) it doesn't really snow.

I'm kinda torn between paying the extra for a lower-trimmed AWD vehicle, or the trim I really want but in FWD, and I don't have a lot of time to decide as I need a car soon and the dealership doesn't have my desired trim level in AWD. I'm set on the vehicle (VW Taos), but keep bouncing back and forth on the AWD vs. higher trim debacle.

I guess my question for those who semi-often travel to the snow with their cars: how essential do you find it for your car to be AWD? Do you think you'd be equally happy with something FWD + chains? Thoughts?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Spring for the AWD since you mentioned regular travels through snow. Even in rainy conditions it makes quite a bit of difference.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
In the case of the VW Taos, you also get the DSG gearbox with the AWD car which is far superior to the one in the FWD model only(regular auto trans). So don't get the FWD.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Don't even think about chains. They are a pain in the ass. Full set of winters if you are driving in snow regardless of FW or AWD.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'd get the FWD model. You'll barely use the AWD, but it really depends on how harsh of conditions you plan on driving in. I've personally only driven RWD cars in the snow, but I've never had issues, but that's also mainly on paved or dirt roads, never offroad stuff.

In the case of the VW Taos, you also get the DSG gearbox with the AWD car which is far superior to the one in the FWD model only(regular auto trans). So don't get the FWD.

To me that sells FWD more, as a normal automatic seems like it would be more reliable and lower maintenance in the long run.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I'd get the FWD model. You'll barely use the AWD, but it really depends on how harsh of conditions you plan on driving in. I've personally only driven RWD cars in the snow, but I've never had issues, but that's also mainly on paved or dirt roads, never offroad stuff.

To me that sells FWD more, as a normal automatic seems like it would be more reliable and lower maintenance in the long run.
The VW DSG gearbox is reliable and excellent gearbox. It's true that it requires maintenance every 40k miles but I would rather pay that over using a slush box that will make the driving experience much worse. I have had several vehicles with that gearbox and all of them were great.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The VW DSG gearbox is reliable and excellent gearbox. It's true that it requires maintenance every 40k miles but I would rather pay that over using a slush box that will make the driving experience much worse. I have had several vehicles with that gearbox and all of them were great.

While I get the driving experience aspect, this is also a crossover SUV, something that's not even sporty in the first place. If I want a daily driver family car, a normal automatic seems like the better choice.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWD with snow tires is better than AWD with all season tires in snow, period.

Its just more things to break on the car unless you really truly need AWD.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
If it was my everyday car and I drove to work, I would go for the trim you want, as you will likely get more value out of it. If yiu don't have to drive a lot either way, go for the AWD.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Imagining someone carving corners in a VW crossover now brb
It doesn't have to be a sport car for a car to be fun. There is a lot of positive press for the Taos because it closer of VW of old where their cars used to be small and sporty. While the Taos is not going to set you on fire with it's driving dynamics, it still is good for what it is. I would rather get the best version there is for a car that I will drive every day. It's worth it for me. Not sure about the OP. But then if it was my money, I would much rather get an entry level GTI for the money. Or get a nice used one.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
In Forza Horizon 4, I only use AWD because with a mouse and keyboard you don't really have much throttle control. So, if you find yourself similarly unable to not be completely flat out while cornering or from a stopped position, I would go with AWD.

🙃

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
It doesn't have to be a sport car for a car to be fun. There is a lot of positive press for the Taos because it closer of VW of old where their cars used to be small and sporty. While the Taos is not going to set you on fire with it's driving dynamics, it still is good for what it is. I would rather get the best version there is for a car that I will drive every day. It's worth it for me. Not sure about the OP. But then if it was my money, I would much rather get an entry level GTI for the money. Or get a nice used one.
Nah man it's still putting lipstick on a pig don't spend more money to try and convince yourself otherwise

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have never been in a crossover where I've enjoyed driving it, a hatchback or a wagon does everything a crossover does yet maintains driving dynamics.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

That's the thing though, if OP wants AWD he has to settle for a lesser trim than he wants. In reality, he'll be spending the majority of his time in the vehicle commuting and driving around on normal roads where he lives. At that point you'd be sacrificing the higher trim options that you'd use every day, for things like AWD and a DSG that he'd rarely get the benefit of.

OP
OP
finalflame

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts were also around 4Motion for the DCT, but the CarGurus review mentions somewhat clunky/erratic shifting with it on the Taos vs. a smoother ride with the regular automatic:

I'm not sure if this is normal with the DSG gearbox or if it's being overblown in the write-up -- maybe someone who has first hand experience with this gearbox could chime in?
That's the thing though, if OP wants AWD he has to settle for a lesser trim than he wants. In reality, he'll be spending the majority of his time in the vehicle commuting and driving around on normal roads where he lives. At that point you'd be sacrificing the higher trim options that you'd use every day, for things like AWD and a DSG that he'd rarely get the benefit of.
Yah, this is basically my thinking. Specifically, I really want dual-zone climate control and the "full" virtual cockpit of the SEL, but I don't know if that's a good tradeoff vs. AWD nor do I know, realistically, how often I'd really need AWD given northern California / PNW snow conditions.

Oct 27, 2017
Chains, nah. AWD is good in rain and if you take trips to ski areas (like you mention) or offroad/camping often enough. Also, in dry road conditions AWD should be compensating and sending more force to the rear wheels so that it handles in a more regular way, but systems vary so check it out.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
My thoughts were also around 4Motion for the DCT, but the CarGurus review mentions somewhat clunky/erratic shifting with it on the Taos vs. a smoother ride with the regular automatic:

I'm not sure if this is normal with the DSG gearbox or if it's being overblown in the write-up -- maybe someone who has first hand experience with this gearbox could chime in?

Yah, this is basically my thinking. Specifically, I really want dual-zone climate control and the "full" virtual cockpit of the SEL, but I don't know if that's a good tradeoff vs. AWD nor do I know, realistically, how often I'd really need AWD given northern California / PNW snow conditions.
A lot of reviewer suffer from confirmation bias. The moment they hear the word DCT/DSG they rush to bring up the clunky nature of DCTs. I have had 3 different cars with that gearbox. One was AWD, and they never felt clunky. The only time you notice that it's not an auto is occasionally it can feel hesitant if you stop and immediately let go of the brake. It doesn't just dump the clutch, but it would feel weird. Also it can roll back if you are on a hill.

Also never buy a car without test driving it. Ask the dealer to let you drive an AWD model and a FWD model back to back.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're in the Bay? Get the FWD and keep snow tires or chains with you. AWD cars are heavier and don't make much of a difference in certain situations.

Also, it's an extra differential you have to look after.

Good snow tires and chains on a FWD car is better. AWD for every day usage is pointless. I lived out where you are, but I come from Midwest - I can tell you from experience this stuff.

When I lived in SF and worked at an outdoors company, so many knuckleheads were driving AWD vehicles with a false idea of their capabilities.

Really, I believe it's a gimmick unless you're hauling things, constantly in the backcountry or need it for racing/performance purposes.

Get what you're comfortable with, not what you'll only use once in a while, and from the sounds of what's going on in NorCal at the moment, rain is something that also shouldn't be a factor in this purchase.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Chains, nah. AWD is good in rain and if you take trips to ski areas (like you mention) or offroad/camping often enough. Also, in dry road conditions AWD should be compensating and sending more force to the rear wheels so that it handles in a more regular way, but systems vary so check it out.

The vast majority of awd vehicles really only send power to the rear wheels when it detects the front wheels slipping.

I honestly think a lot of people oversell the importance of awd.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

If it were me, I would probably regret not getting the things I see and use every day – the visual cockpit, dual-zone climate – far more than I would regret not getting what is basically a sort of insurance for situations that are outside my daily norm. The heart wants what it wants, and if you want the nicer interior, you're not going to be happy when you sit in the less nice interior. You'll always be thinking of the features you don't have.

Of course, if you don't get AWD and then crash on a snowy mountain, you might regret that too. 😝 But I'll be honest: I think a lot of people sort of over-index the importance of AWD. It's like a security blanket that makes people feel more confident. Of course there are some people that definitely should get AWD or 4WD based on where they live. But I lived in Minnesota and drove in tons of snow for years without AWD and I was just fine.

Optimize your car for the every day, not for the edge cases.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are dead set on Taos, then the higher trim with FWD.

If you are interested in an alternative, then try the 2022 Tucson Hybrid, which is AWD by default, while similar in price.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Snow tires (not all season - specific winter tires) is going to make way more of a difference than AWD. It will also better help you turn and stop. Tires trump everything in regard to inclement weather.

Now, if you're gonna be in snow regularly, then AWD + Snow Tires is even more ideal. But AWD doesn't help you stop, and it's not a magic key to drive in bad conditions.

Truth is, once there's more than an inch or two of the snow on the ground, you should be heavily considering staying home/indoors anyway. Not worth it. Not worth mingling with other drivers and worse cars. And I say that as someone who owns both a 4Runner and a Wrangler.

My Challenger Hellcat on snow tires drove in the snow better than the 4Runner with all seasons.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd spring for AWD. Even if it's not raining, you traveling in off-road or snow, AWD is gonna help.

OP
OP
finalflame

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks y'all, just wanted to update that I ended up going with the FWD SEL. Thanks for all the help deciding :) In the end, the SEL trim features won out over 4Motion.

IMG0750.jpg

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The only real difference I have noticed with AWD is it has been harder to get stuck in the snow. During the winters many of my friends without it have had to dig themselves out a few times. Granted it has been years since we have had those kind of winters in my area and they seem increasingly like things of the past, so I don't personally know if I will be all "AWD or bust" with my next car years from now, but that was my experience of AWD in the snow.

OP
OP
finalflame

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the gearbox?
Maybe felt a bit clunkier, but not a huge appreciable difference IMO. The customizable drive mode was nice, but frankly I'm not at a stage in my car-buying life where those things matter much to me. The Taos has a nice pep to it, bur regardless of gearbox, it's not going to be a fast car. I don't think I got a chance to really test the gearbox where it'd matter.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Personally I would have gone AWD, but since you didn't, make sure to get a good set of winter tires. Chain is a pain in the ass.

I live in an area with snow 7 months of the year and the nearest city is 5 hours away, so my conditions were slightly different when buying lol.