• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Be aware this is Gary opa - same guy behind Gateway 3DS - expect piracy and a $100 dongle, and little homebrew so this isn't really good news honestly, maybe he became less of a fuck but I doubt it though.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Hardmod only, most people won't attempt it. This won't hurt nintendo much.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully any vulnerabilities get patched up quick.
Kind of doubt it. For whatever reason, all of Nintendo's recent consoles have been far easier to hack, even without any hardware modification, than all of their counterparts. I was astonished at how easy it was to install custom firmware or to sideload homebrew apps on the Wii U.

Anyway, we'll see where this goes. I would love to see modifications for the Switch that would allow it to run various homebrew apps like emulators. It might become a very worthwhile system if that's the case.

lame gag

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love CFW so exciting to see this kind of stuff. Should sell a whole lot of Switches if it takes off too.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of region lock on Switch removes a lot of the use-case for rooting it, but if there gets to be a community-supported exploit (like B9S on 3DS) I'd probably install it just to have better control over my saves and the ability to dump my games/extract assets from them.

If this is just a piracy enabler like Gateway, then whatever. Not really interested.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
akihiko-ive-been-waiting-for-this.png

It would be insane if we had access to some sort of Virtual Console before the actual launch of the Virtual Console.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give a bit more background? Why is this guy/whatever this is bad? How is this different than, say, the Homebrew Channel on the Wii?

Asking out of ignorance.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Be aware this is Gary opa - same guy behind Gateway 3DS - expect piracy and a $100 dongle, and little homebrew so this isn't really good news honestly, maybe he became less of a fuck but I doubt it though.

I was hyped but then not hyped. One of the biggest things I want from CFW would be shit like a web browser and some cool tablet style app things (maybe even a port of Osu!). Would also be nice to backup my physical games seeing as I for some reason bought a big SD card despite still buying physical because of how much cheaper physical games are here.

EDIT: Oh, and of course I'd want homebrew for emulators. I loooooove my CFW 3DS with a bunch of my roms running via Virtual Console injection.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I really want this to be true and not hard (emus), but on the other hand, piracy and save editing (looking at you pokémon)...

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly something I have been waiting for. Will keep an eye out on the details.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I'm betting that video is just a youtube video using the web browser trick.

I hope its a software mod via the sdcard slot. I hate the hacks that require buying a piece of tech from some sketchy chinese site.

Also say goodbye to online games if this gets broken wide open. Sucks for Mario Kart and the rumored Dark Souls and Mario Maker games :/

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is gonna be like Gateway where it becomes obsolete in three months, right? Anyway, they're trying to sell people on "ANY FW VERSION" and then they'll tell you that you have to buy their proprietary bullshit that will become useless when somebody outdoes them.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Remember trying to play Mario Kart online on the Wii?

Remember losing to hackers on every single fucking race?

5taquitos Farms remembers.

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I watched CFW was for region locking(which isn't a problem anymore), and I guess eventually for games that aren't localized and get fan translated... but piracy only? meh.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I'm betting that video is just a youtube video using the web browser trick.

I hope its a software mod via the sdcard slot. I hate the hacks that require buying a piece of tech from some sketchy chinese site.

Also say goodbye to online games if this gets broken wide open. Sucks for Mario Kart and the rumored Dark Souls and Mario Maker games :/

Say goodbye to online games, how so? My last Nintendo console was a Gamecube so I'm not really in the loop when it comes to Nintendo + online.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Is video game piracy as relevant as it used to be nearly a decade ago?

I would imagine that video game piracy was relatively easy because of the small size of DS and PSP ROMs and such.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also say goodbye to online games if this gets broken wide open
Why's that? I still played Monster Hunter 3U, Splatoon and a number of other Wii U games after it got broken open about as wide as any console could be, and there was no serious issues there from what I could see.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Say goodbye to online games, how so? My last Nintendo console was a Gamecube so I'm not really in the loop when it comes to Nintendo + online.
Hackers. Mario Kart was a shitshow on Wii and WiiU
Pokemon online on handhelds sucks because of hackers
Mario Maker is ruined now because of WiiU hacks.

Animal Crossing wii and 3ds, you could literally lock a person game by placing a house on a certain block in game.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I was younger I'd probably be giddy. But now that I'm older and have disposable income system exploit announcements don't really do me any justice.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bogus claim until they show something, I don't even know why people fall for such blatant marketing stunts.

Also, please stop fearmongering the online. There is no solution to the public keys on the Switch, one ban and your Switch is gone from their servers permanently.

Given this piss-poor marketing nonsense, they're probably intending to drum up excitement for an expensive and unstable-as-fuck hardmod.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
If I was younger I'd probably be giddy. But now that I'm older and have disposable income system exploit announcements don't really do me any justice.
I just want emulation of the Nintendo games I've bought 14 times on every console. Let me play LTTP, CT, and all the SNES, NES classic games on my Switch

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is quite the bad news.

After all those indie success stories of course someone has to mess it up for everyone.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
This is a bogus claim until they show something, I don't even know why people fall for such blatant marketing stunts.

Also, please stop fearmongering the online. There is no solution to the public keys on the Switch, one ban and your Switch is gone from their servers permanently.
Not true? 3ds you can change a small file easily and get around it. Nintendo's ban system is a joke.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
For everyone complaining about how it will 'ruin online' : Would you not petition Nintendo to ban hackers? Every console and platform has hackers, none more than PC but with detection and player reporting it isn't an issue. Why would Nintendo not put in any effort here?

Status
Not open for further replies.