• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/killer_se7ven/status/1578301667476660224

Christophe Gans is the director of the first Silent Hill film, didn't work at all on the second one, is directing the upcoming reboot to the film series, which starts filming next February. He did a video interview, and uhhh, he said a LOT.

A few direct quotes thanks to Angie :

"I know a bit about the [next Silent Hill game]. I work with the Silent Team, the original creators. I work in collaboration with Konami."

"I'm working with the Silent Team, the original creators at Konami, there are several games in development as we speak, there are several teams on it, with a big line of games, they will revive the franchise, I think they were really impressed of the success of the remakes of Resident Evil that are evidently exceptional games."

"I'm not working directly on the games but I'm working with Konami but not with Kojima, tho, but with the Silent Team who I met when I filmed the first Silent Hill movie."

"And they're still here"

"In this second movie, I'll try to explain that Silent Hill is a place that owes as much to the creatures that live there as what we project on the town. So I'll enter into something way more psychological and way more psychoanalytic in order to try to make people understand that Silent Hill isn't only this strange labyrinth that changes its form but also the projection of tortured and tormented souls and sometimes of extremely paradoxical feelings that can be between mad love and violence."

Interviewer: "So who are developing the games?"
Christophe: "It's Konami, there are several games."
Interviewer: "Because we know Bloober Team are working on Silent Hill 2 Remake"
Christophe: "Yes"
Interviewer: "And we don't know who's developing the others."
Christophe: "Yeah, there are several teams."

------

In basic, he confirmed there's several Silent Hill projects in development right now in Konami and between several different teams, he's seen some stuff off of one Silent Hill game that's being worked on by people who worked on the original four Silent Hill games who he worked with back in the 2000s on the first film who are also working on this game revival. Confirms Bloober is working on a Silent Hill 2 Remake, confirms several of the series original creators and developers are working on these projects.

He also talks some about how his next film is planned to be more psychological and to focus on the strange reality of the town of Silent Hill itself.

I'm honestly flabbergasted he was allowed to say that much, but very interesting!

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God for movie people unwilling to play by the quasi rules of the game industry.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. The secrecy about games is dumb.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Swear to god, giving this guy Silent Hill again is going to go as well as the guy who did the Phoenix Saga in the X-Men movies, twice.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't say Team Silent, he says the Silent Hill team "who I met when I filmed the first Silent Hill movie."

He didn't work with Team Silent on the first movie, except for Akira Yamaoka.

Notes from the Director - Silent Hill Memories

Silent Hill movie: information, review, cast, props, media, photos, videos

View: https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1216515699318784000

View: https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1216647897267097600

He probably didn't work with Masahiro Ito, but he did work with Konami and people who worked on the games before 2006 (when the movie came out), movies take a few years and companies often work with people working on their properties. He's just confirming some of the same people he's worked with, and he's seen some of at least one of the projects.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
All these SH rumors are like all the Nintendo hardware successor rumors, they're that gif of the truck constantly about to crash but cutting to a new angle

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Forreal. Now let's get a proper reveal ffs. Tired of this leaker teasing over however many years its been now. Beyond tired of the leaker clout shit.
This might come as a surprise to you, but I'm just as excited for these projects to get revealed as you are, and I am in fact, not in charge of when these things I've heard and shared get revealed.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how unhinged some people react at early leaks/info I understand why the industry is afraid of talking completly open tbh.

But yeah in most cases it sucks.
You don't need to show stuff, but at least announce what you're working on.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
What's with his Kojima name drop? Unless...
Its probably because he's confirmed there's some PT inspiration in his upcoming SH movie, so probably wanted to see if he could talk with Kojima about that, but Kojima isn't involved with the Silent Hill revival.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This guy really doesn't know anything. He made one movie almost two decades ago, he isn't an authority. Why do we listen to him?

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
The Bloober Team remake is dead to me, but I'm really looking forward to The Short Message, Silent Hill 5, and the Annapurna Interactive game, and what Masahiro Ito can bring to a new iteration.

I don't have much faith in Christophe Gans' ability to pull off Silent Hill (his previous film only got the aesthetics right), but he at least seems to have the right influences this time. He mentioned taking inspiration from films like Hereditary and Midsommar, which is more in line with Silent Hill than the Evil Dead and Children of the Corn crap the 2006 film was doing.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Just announce the damn game or games. It's like everyone in the games industry knows of them, and even outside it. Soon Chris Pratt will be talking about them. Just announce them already and save everyone.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The interviewer was very smart.
Instead of asking if Bloober or whoever is working on what, he speaks of it like it's common knowledge to drop the guy's guard and just confirm stuff.

Suprised they didn't ask him when was going to be announced.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Also I find it funny that the most loose-lipped person about this whole revival STILL won't reveal the Japanese team developing SH5. Honestly shocked that's still a secret at this point.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Why would I be joking? Gans talks out of his ass all the time. Why the fuck would he have access to intimate knowledge on MULTIPLE Silent Hill game projects?
This situation is still confusing to me:

www.destructoid.com

Neil Gaiman will not be writing Silent Hill 2. Don't cry, your mascara will run.

Neil Gaiman, author, statesman and idol to everyone who has ever dreamt of wearing a cape in public, has publicly...

indeterminacy

Heigh ho. Miles away from working internet, and the one time I try and get online I discover that Blogger has now updated itself out of Beta...

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The interviewer was very smart.
Instead of asking if Bloober or whoever is working on what, he speaks of it like it's common knowledge to drop the guy's guard and just confirm stuff.

Suprised they didn't ask him when was going to be announced.

Yeah, you're ahead of where I am but I get the sense that's what happened too, interviewer played it coy and acted like all of this was public knowledge already, which I think made Gans think it was all already out there now. If there really is a Silent Hill announcement this month in relation to Short Message as speculated, that also might've confused him since its October already, but that's speculation on my part (this interview seems to have happened in early October).

Why would I be joking? Gans talks out of his ass all the time. Why the fuck would he have access to intimate knowledge on MULTIPLE Silent Hill game projects?
Because he's working on a Silent Hill movie that's starting filming next February, and is working with Konami on that film as part of a larger plan to revive Silent Hill.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This situation is still confusing to me:

www.destructoid.com

Neil Gaiman will not be writing Silent Hill 2. Don't cry, your mascara will run.

Neil Gaiman, author, statesman and idol to everyone who has ever dreamt of wearing a cape in public, has publicly...

indeterminacy

Heigh ho. Miles away from working internet, and the one time I try and get online I discover that Blogger has now updated itself out of Beta...

Damn… now I want Neil Gaiman to write a SH story. 😦

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because he's working on a Silent Hill movie that's starting filming next February, and is working with Konami on that film as part of a larger plan to revive Silent Hill.

Or he's just bullshitting and using the same talking points the internet has been yammering about for over a year now. Like this "movie" of his hasn't even hit the film industry trades yet - despite him repeatedly trying to bring it up in interviews - and it's supposed to be filming in a few months? The film industry has a much more ordered production cycle than the game industry and the fact he's the only one who has said anything about it just feels like aspirational talk rather than reality.

The MGS movie is probably further along than this project and the MGS movie also doesn't exist.

The movie was pretty decent as far as game adaptations go

It kinda butchered every aspect of the lore and really only succeeded in LOOKING like Silent Hill. Yeah, it's not "bottom of the barrel" game adaptation status but it's still a bad movie and a bad translation of Silent Hill.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
The movie was pretty decent as far as game adaptations go
Given how deep, complex, psychological, and atmospheric the games are, the film was basically the opposite of Silent Hill. It nailed the visuals and music, but it's not the super-faithful adaptation that perfectly captured the spirit of the games that it gets mistaken for.

Scenes like this are distinctly un-Silent Hill:

View: https://youtu.be/Rxs_ULxkNqs

View: https://youtu.be/jB8NvayyPFU

However, it's one of the better video game movies (which isn't saying much).

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Or he's just bullshitting and using the same talking points the internet has been yammering about for over a year now. Like this "movie" of his hasn't even hit the film industry trades yet - despite him repeatedly trying to bring it up in interviews - and it's supposed to be filming in a few months?

It has. It's on IMDb Pro with producers lined up, Davis Films once again handling the production like with the first one. Also the filming was confirmed by an independent party on Twitter. Things can shift and delay anytime, of course, but I don't think he's bullshitting.

Jul 22, 2022
I love how casually Hollywood people just leak games lol
Hollywood's leaking culture....

Good. The secrecy about games is dumb.
Except it is not. Gaming community showed time and time again that it is unable to deal with leaks. Unlike movies, gaming community tend to have unreasonable or false expectations and cause backlashes or outcries if something goes not the way the expected, killing all the potential hype.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Except it is not. Gaming community showed time and time again that it is unable to deal with leaks. Unlike movies, gaming community tend to have unreasonable or false expectations and cause backlashes or outcries if something goes not the way the expected, killing all the potential hype.

yeah, film fans never act like this

scale

oops.

Nerds are extremely bad at reacting to subverted expectations. Not just gamers.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland

Except the cat has been out of the bag concerning these games, for a longgg time. This is just item 41 in the long list of evidence.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

lol have you seen movie fans? especially in the age of connected universe blockbusters? what you described is very much prevalent there too.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I had a fun time with the first SH movie (the second, not so much, lol).

I'll be looking forward to seeing what Gans does with another. I'm certainly not expecting Lynchian high art that makes me decide to go back to grad school and design a new thesis on the shattered psyche of humans and the complications of things metaphysical, but goddamnit, sometimes I just want a fun horror flick! 🎃

Jul 22, 2022
yeah, film fans never act like this
The problem with the Last Jedi had nothing do with the leaks but they literally decimated the beloved character that people have been waiting to see for years.

lol have you seen movie fans? especially in the age of connected universe blockbusters? what you described is very much prevalent there too.
The situation with movies is different because a lot of movies and TV series tend to crap on the existing canons in order to grab the new crowd, retroactively changing the old stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the Last Jedi had nothing do with the leaks but they literally decimated the beloved character that people have been waiting to see for years.

Not talking about leaks in this case. My point is that nerds can and will set the whole world on fire, for years, if MUCH ANTICIPATED NERD THING surprises or swerves them in any way. They get extremely upset whenever whatever they expect to happen doesn't happen.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think the secrecy of projects is an industry-made problem at this point that snowballed into something huge.

Companies are desperately trying to control the image and narrative about their products, to the point they're willing, freaking terrified about answering the most ignorant and mean-spirited arguments instead of trying to convey reality like it is.

Of course the usual costumer won't know games early in dev look like shit, will get frustrated about things changing and being cancelled all the time, but if you keep focusing on them like the most important aspect of the conversation you're never getting out of that hole, they'll feel validated and execs will fear losing control to them always.

I'm impressed CD Projekt Red talked openly on what they're working and that's the stuff this industry needs.

I understand creators want to show their work when it is ready, it's just that at this point it is getting ridiculously harmful especially when dumb suits punish devs themselves out of panic.

Hollywood gets it (for all their insane list of mistakes too).

Things change, some cool stuff never see the light of the day and yes, it is sad, but we don't have to be held hostage by angry internet posters acting like manchilds.

Jul 22, 2022
Not talking about leaks in this case. My point is that nerds can and will set the whole world on fire, for years, if MUCH ANTICIPATED NERD THING surprises or swerves them in any way. They get extremely upset whenever whatever they expect to happen doesn't happen.
The diffference is The Last Jedi literally ruined the character a lot of people - grew with or were familiar with or learn about from the books and older movies - in order to achieve what exactly? Subversion of expectations? And who asked for that?

Anyway the whole new Star Wars trilogy can described by "somehow stuff happened". Granted the first move was good, I can give Force Awakens a credit in that regard at least.