• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/comcas...2e7caq42si4up&reflink=desktopwebshare_twitter

Comcast Corp.'s CMCSA -0.77% NBCUniversal is considering removing much of its content from Hulu and making it exclusive to its Peacock platform, according to people familiar with the matter, as the media giant determines how to best play its hand in the streaming wars. NBCUniversal, which owns one-third of Hulu, with Walt Disney Co. DIS 0.10% controlling the rest, has to make a decision soon. Under the terms of an agreement with Disney, NBCUniversal has a one-time window to exit from the content-licensing agreement between the two early next year. If it doesn't exercise the option, the content would remain there until at least 2024. Comcast Corp.'s CMCSA -0.77% NBCUniversal is considering removing much of its content from Hulu and making it exclusive to its Peacock platform, according to people familiar with the matter, as the media giant determines how to best play its hand in the streaming wars. NBCUniversal, which owns one-third of Hulu, with Walt Disney Co. DIS 0.10% controlling the rest, has to make a decision soon. Under the terms of an agreement with Disney, NBCUniversal has a one-time window to exit from the content-licensing agreement between the two early next year. If it doesn't exercise the option, the content would remain there until at least 2024.

Disney and NBCU, which have been partners in Hulu for more than a decade, are now competing head-to-head with their own streaming platforms: Disney+, which has been off to a fast start, and Peacock, which has been slow to establish its place. The decision comes as Disney and NBCU parent Comcast are also embroiled in a dispute over Hulu's valuation.

If NBCUniversal decides to pull its content, it would disappear from Hulu by the fall of 2022, according to some of the people familiar with the matter.

Shows produced by NBC that could depart include hits such as "The Voice," "Chicago PD" and "Saturday Night Live." Episodes of all three appear on Hulu typically just one day after they air on NBC and are strong performers for the platform, according to people close to the streaming service. A library of NBC's older, popular shows such as "30 Rock" and "Will & Grace" also resides on Hulu. In some cases, Hulu has separate long-term licensing agreements for that content that wouldn't be affected by these talks, people familiar with the deals said. Reruns of NBC-owned shows that would remain on Hulu for now include "Law & Order: SVU" and "Friday Night Lights."Shows produced by NBC that could depart include hits such as "The Voice," "Chicago PD" and "Saturday Night Live." Episodes of all three appear on Hulu typically just one day after they air on NBC and are strong performers for the platform, according to people close to the streaming service. A library of NBC's older, popular shows such as "30 Rock" and "Will & Grace" also resides on Hulu. In some cases, Hulu has separate long-term licensing agreements for that content that wouldn't be affected by these talks, people familiar with the deals said. Reruns of NBC-owned shows that would remain on Hulu for now include "Law & Order: SVU" and "Friday Night Lights."

Complicating matters for NBCUniversal is that while removing its content from Hulu might boost Peacock, it could damage NBCUniversal's bottom line because it is a co-owner of Hulu and shares in its success. A move that harms Hulu also could lower the value of NBCUniversal's holdings. NBCUniversal content counts for only a small percentage of Hulu's total viewership, but roughly 80% of NBC's digital audience is from Hulu, one of the people familiar with the matter said.

The choice for NBCUniversal isn't all or nothing. The company could negotiate a new content-sharing deal with Disney, people familiar with the matter said. There have been discussions inside NBCUniversal about lengthening the Hulu window from one day after a show airs on NBC to as much as two weeks, according to one person with knowledge of the talks. Peacock executives have pushed for an even longer window of 28 days, the person said. Comcast and Disney can exercise options to end their partnership in Hulu in 2024, a scenario that likely would see Disney buying out Comcast and controlling 100% of Hulu. Disney took majority control of Hulu in 2019 when it acquired 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets, with Comcast remaining an investor. At the time, the companies said Hulu was worth at least $27.5 billion, setting the floor for Comcast's guaranteed sale price. In the years since then, Comcast has argued Hulu's valuation is closer to $70 billion, according to people familiar with the talks. The two sides are in arbitration over Hulu's strategy and valuation. The choice for NBCUniversal isn't all or nothing. The company could negotiate a new content-sharing deal with Disney, people familiar with the matter said. There have been discussions inside NBCUniversal about lengthening the Hulu window from one day after a show airs on NBC to as much as two weeks, according to one person with knowledge of the talks. Peacock executives have pushed for an even longer window of 28 days, the person said. Comcast and Disney can exercise options to end their partnership in Hulu in 2024, a scenario that likely would see Disney buying out Comcast and controlling 100% of Hulu. Disney took majority control of Hulu in 2019 when it acquired 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets, with Comcast remaining an investor. At the time, the companies said Hulu was worth at least $27.5 billion, setting the floor for Comcast's guaranteed sale price. In the years since then, Comcast has argued Hulu's valuation is closer to $70 billion, according to people familiar with the talks. The two sides are in arbitration over Hulu's strategy and valuation.

As part of their argument, Comcast believes Hulu could be worth more if Disney expanded the service internationally, people familiar with the matter said. Disney has instead focused its international efforts on Disney+. Disney said in its recent fourth quarter earnings release that Hulu currently has 43.8 million subscribers, up 20% from the same period last year. Disney+ said it added just over two million subscribers in the quarter ending Oct. 2, bringing its total to 118.1 million. Being bundled with Disney+ and ESPN+ since November 2019 has been a boost. Since then, 81% of Hulu's net subscriber additions stemmed from the bundle, according to analytics firm Antenna. Still, inside Disney, Hulu is often viewed as a stepchild, people close to the streaming service said. Its content is more adult than Disney+ and not necessarily in sync with the family-friendly brand of Disney. There has also been tension among Hulu executives and Disney over strategy, and restructurings have taken away key responsibilities from Hulu leadership, the people said. Last month, Hulu President Kelly Campbell left to become president of Peacock.As part of their argument, Comcast believes Hulu could be worth more if Disney expanded the service internationally, people familiar with the matter said. Disney has instead focused its international efforts on Disney+. Disney said in its recent fourth quarter earnings release that Hulu currently has 43.8 million subscribers, up 20% from the same period last year. Disney+ said it added just over two million subscribers in the quarter ending Oct. 2, bringing its total to 118.1 million. Being bundled with Disney+ and ESPN+ since November 2019 has been a boost. Since then, 81% of Hulu's net subscriber additions stemmed from the bundle, according to analytics firm Antenna. Still, inside Disney, Hulu is often viewed as a stepchild, people close to the streaming service said. Its content is more adult than Disney+ and not necessarily in sync with the family-friendly brand of Disney. There has also been tension among Hulu executives and Disney over strategy, and restructurings have taken away key responsibilities from Hulu leadership, the people said. Last month, Hulu President Kelly Campbell left to become president of Peacock.

Peacock had 54 million sign-ups and 20 million monthly active accounts, Comcast said in July, the last time the company gave any metrics. During its most recent earnings release, Comcast didn't disclose any updates about Peacock, which analysts and industry insiders took as a sign of disappointing growth. The only update came from NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell, who said Peacock added a few million more monthly active accounts. Comcast has also yet to break down the number of those who take Peacock's free tier or its pay tiers.Peacock had 54 million sign-ups and 20 million monthly active accounts, Comcast said in July, the last time the company gave any metrics. During its most recent earnings release, Comcast didn't disclose any updates about Peacock, which analysts and industry insiders took as a sign of disappointing growth. The only update came from NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell, who said Peacock added a few million more monthly active accounts. Comcast has also yet to break down the number of those who take Peacock's free tier or its pay tiers.

"If they want to hit 60 or 70 million subs in the next few years, they have to play the exclusive game and pull that content from Hulu and put it on Peacock," said Julia Alexander, a senior strategy analyst at Parrot Analytics, an industry consulting firm.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
ah yes, let's take them off hulu and put these on services so now no one will watch them!

comcast is down bad with the whole peacock thing lmao

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a having cake vs. eating cake situation. We want Peacock to be successful, so we need it to have exclusive content, but we make money off of Hulu, so we don't want to take that content off of it.

At some point they just gotta cut things off and sell their stake in Hulu - I just don't see any reason, in the current media landscape, to provide your stuff to a service you only own 10% of.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This isn't a great idea, as it mentioned, Hulu generates the most foot traffic for NBCUniversal and Comcast would be impacting their own proceeds from the sale of their ownership of Hulu.

Comcast just needs to decide if they want to invest in Peacock. Between NBCUniversal and Sky, Comcast has a pretty good library of IP that they could use for interesting originals. But...they're afraid to fully commit.

Seems like a having cake vs. eating cake situation. We want Peacock to be successful, so we need it to have exclusive content, but we make money off of Hulu, so we don't want to take that content off of it.

At some point they just gotta cut things off and sell their stake in Hulu - I just don't see any reason, in the current media landscape, to provide your stuff to a service you only own 10% of.
I believe they own 33%...which depending on the valuation, could be worth upward of ~$20 billion

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
NBC Universal is in a tight spot here as they also want to boost Hulu's value in order to increase the profit from the eventual sale of it's share to Disney.

So this would be potentially sacrificing some of that money to boost Peacock, which needs it badly.

Oct 27, 2017
Hulu would be just fine if Universal pulled the plug. Disney restructured its 20th Century library with HBO and the new Sony deal to show their library will be in effect next year.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna backfire. I feel like what will eventually happen is that Peacock will fail and they will go back to licensing out their shows to other services like Netflix and Hulu.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna backfire. I feel like what will eventually happen is that Peacock will fail and they will go back to licensing out their shows to other services like Netflix and Hulu.

Well, probably not Hulu. The second Disney has full control, it's probably getting merged with US Disney+.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd love for them to do it and subsequently sell their stake in Hulu so Disney can fold it into Disney+. And then Peacock would get killed eventually anyway. It would still take years though. Bummer.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm pretty sure the only reason anybody bought Peacock was to continue streaming The Office while they cook and fall asleep. People who subscribed are not interested in anything else.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Removing SNL from Hulu would be a wild mistake. Im not subbing to peacock for it. So I'll likely just catch sketches on YouTube going forward.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Lol I am already very close to unsubscribing from Hulu (basically just waiting for the new PEN15 episodes next month); this is just going to make me not subscribe to either service.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People really dont want anothet streaming service. NBC got in too late to the game. Hell people still bitch about Paramount and it has existed for 6 years now.

Its a stupid name and the most likely of the services to go under.

All that said, maybe if they pull the rug on hulu, Disney will finally drop the service and put it on Disney plus like theY do in EU.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
Comcast and Disney really need to just end their partnership in Hulu sooner rather than later. The minority ownership by Comcast is a difficult situation for both parties given their streaming competition. I wonder whether they really drag this out 2 more years or get something figured out soon.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Peacock was the quickest streaming platform I signed up for then cancelled. I kept it for about 3 months, realized it was one too many platforms to juggle, then dropped it.

Dr. Death was good, I guess.

Miss having the Office and Parks on Netflix, but not enough to keep Peacock.

I wish they'd go all in on Hulu. It's nice to want things, I guess.

Redwing19

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure the only reason anybody bought Peacock was to continue streaming The Office while they cook and fall asleep. People who subscribed are not interested in anything else.

I was one of those people. I just ended up buying The Office off Vudu for like $30-40 (forgot the exact amount) for the whole series and never looked back. Too many streaming services out there.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
NBC just spent $2.7B on the Premier League for another 6 years. They'll keep Peacock afloat in some capacity even if it's just to keep people subscribed to it for those games.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
If I were Comcast I'd just go all in on Peacock and hope for the best as they have no other suitable Plan B in this situation. Even as is at the moment they are going to be massively under scale compared to their rivals in the next five years which begs the question just how into NBC/U are Comcast for the long haul?

I believe there was a report in The Information that said Peacock has well less than 10 million paid subscribers outside of Comcast customers with roughly three million of them actually paying for the $10 'premium' tier.

I think it is now inevitable that Comcast will either spin-off NBC/U at some point likely in an effort to make it easier to then merge with another media player in the next couple of years or they'll keep it in the vein hope that the lure of NBC/Peacock content will somehow keep people using the Comcast cable or ISP services.

You realize Disney wants adult content in the US on Disney+ right? They're already doing this overseas.

Some Disney execs wants this, namely Chapek, but there is a lot of push back from those, namely Iger, that say it would damage the brand citing that US audiences, with the theme parks etc, have a different perception of the brand than those internationally. In short, it is also a huge mess.

Removing SNL from Hulu would be a wild mistake. Im not subbing to peacock for it. So I'll likely just catch sketches on YouTube going forward.

I thought that was how most people watched the most overrated 'comedy' in the history of television?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should have put the new Chucky show on there, I would have subscribed. Ended up buying the season on YouTube because I liked it so much.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
You realize Disney wants adult content in the US on Disney+ right? They're already doing this overseas.
Yeah, but that's because Hulu wasn't a presence there. Its not about mature content. They could add Hulu to Disney+, but they'd have to increase the price significantly, which is something I think they'd be hesitant to do.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
How about Blue Tit instead?

I dunno. Not a very good name for a streaming service.

b88e6f62-4b1b-40a1-9724-6c3a2232e810.jpg

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Well, probably not Hulu. The second Disney has full control, it's probably getting merged with US Disney+.
Yeah, everywhere else in the world Hulu is just Star within Disney+. NBC is the last remaining content providers for Hulu, and if they decide to leave as well, Disney would definitely kill Hulu for its content to be a part of US Disney+.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

A ton of people got Peacock because of the Olympics, and that turned out to be a bust with just replays instead of live streams :/

I don't even think there were replays, just "highlights" lmfao

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
when the office left netflix, instead of picking up Peacock I just BOUGHT a digital version of the Office...

Especially with how bad they handled the olympics, I am still uninterested.

If (when) SVU ever leaves Hulu, that might make us get it but who knows when that will happen.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, everywhere else in the world Hulu is just Star within Disney+. NBC is the last remaining content providers for Hulu, and if they decide to leave as well, Disney would definitely kill Hulu for its content to be a part of US Disney+.

Right, but Disney aren't going to simply 'turn off' Hulu and fold it into Disney+ without dramatically increasing the monthly price of D+ to make up for the lost revenue of those 30 to 40 million subscribers no longer giving them five/ten bucks a month or whatever...

At this point Hulu may not be that profitable (if it is profitable at all....) but it is still a massive platform with a brand recognition, the same can't be said of the likes of Discovery+ or Paramount+ both of which could easily be folded into a rival.

I dunno. Not a very good name for a streaming service.

b88e6f62-4b1b-40a1-9724-6c3a2232e810.jpg

Still better than Quibi to be fair.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. In fact I've been wondering why they haven't done it yet. I've always found it strange I can watch SNL, Keenan, and The Rock in both places. Your audience is far more likely to stay inside an app to find something else to watch than to switch out.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but Disney aren't going to simply 'turn off' Hulu and fold it into Disney+ without dramatically increasing the monthly price of D+ to make up for the lost revenue of those 30 to 40 million subscribers no longer giving them five/ten bucks a month or whatever...

At this point Hulu may not be that profitable (if it is profitable at all....) but it is still a massive platform with a brand recognition, the same can't be said of the likes of Discovery+ or Paramount+ both of which could easily be folded into a rival.
I don't think they'd kill the name "Hulu" but they'd definitely pull the plug of a separate app. Hulu could be the name of the separate channel within Disney Plus.

But I don't think this will happen, Disney will probably fight for NBC to stay, iirc Hulu's president still looking to secure some content from external companies. I believe they were in the middle of a Sony TV deal.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to hate Peacock but I actually use it more than some of my other services. It is great for having sports like SNF and golf on the side TV while playing a game or doing something else.

Granted I get it as part of my internet package, but the service is hardly a dud.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think it is now inevitable that Comcast will either spin-off NBC/U at some point likely in an effort to make it easier to then merge with another media player in the next couple of years or they'll keep it in the vein hope that the lure of NBC/Peacock content will somehow keep people using the Comcast cable or ISP services.
I think Brian Roberts is too wedded to having an entertainment empire for him to separate NBCUniversal and Comcast.

That said, I don't see the regulatory environment enabling either Comcast or NBCUniversal to pursue transactions of scale as a combined company, so that might be the impetus for them to seek a spin-off of the entertainment assets.

I do wonder who eventually merges with Warner Bros Doscovery - either a separated NBCUniversal or ViacomCBS.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think Brian Roberts is too wedded to having an entertainment empire for him to separate NBCUniversal and Comcast.

That said, I don't see the regulatory environment enabling either Comcast or NBCUniversal to pursue transactions of scale as a combined company, so that might be the impetus for them to seek a spin-off of the entertainment assets.

I do wonder who eventually merges with Warner Bros Doscovery - either a separated NBCUniversal or ViacomCBS.

Agreed. I have to think that Viacom-CBS makes the most sense for WB-D given the assets compliment each other much better than NBC-U. They don't have the headache of trying to figure out what to do with CNBC for example. And with Paramount 'downsizing' to concentrate on streaming they shouldn't have an issue with the market share of the competing studios. Plus Zaslav has talked before about wanting to add CBS to his 'portfolio' when he ran (solely) Discovery.

If I had to make a call I'd say Viacom-CBS merge with WB-D sometime in 2024, Shari apparently wants to sell and Zaslav with Malone in his corner will want to buy. They fold Paramount + in it's entirety into HBO Max along with Discovery + to create a super platform that is perhaps renamed simply 'Max'. I've also heard it said that Zaslav has also cast his eye on AMC Networks but that would be a much smaller deal, perhaps just an all stock swap.

Of course, this is all assuming that the Warner Bros/Discovery deal does close. Don't count your chickens and all that...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
this isn't a good idea.

people aren't going to be coerced into signing up for yet another streaming service. I think most people are to the point where they're having trouble justifying the volume of streaming services they are subscribed to already. Few are interested in adding another, and certainly not if the reason is because a show that they liked got stolen away from a service they're already paying for and moved onto a move expensive service they have no interest in.

creating value by taking things away instead of just making more or better content for the other thing is just universally bad/scummy business.